Is ledger nano s good ?

How safe is it ?
Is it the safest way to store bitcoins ?
Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

steemit.com/crypto/@romanornr/bitcoin-and-altcoin-hardware-wallets
youtube.com/watch?v=W7V2myIwAuE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Paper wallet is the safest way

You're fucked if the usb port goes to shit.

>Is it the safest way to store bitcoins

Not even close. USBs can easily fail.

Always have a paper wallet.

The bitcoins are stored on the blockchain not the ledger you fucking retards.

You could have a paper, nano s and an online wallet at the same time.

It's the seed keys that's important.

How the fuck are you even in this space. Jesus Christ. FUCK YOU

steemit.com/crypto/@romanornr/bitcoin-and-altcoin-hardware-wallets

Yes, hardware are the safest option, paper is still risky

I'm just fucking with you m8 I don't have enough bitcoins to even care about losing them all.

Bunch of retards think this shit holds your actual bitcoins... wtfffffff

I ordered one. Shit doesn't ship until July though.

...you're a fucking idiot. The blockchain is the ledger. That's literally all that it is, a list of every transaction that's ever taken place on the platform.

Your wallet is just a private key. Yes, you can write down your private key as many times as you want in whatever format you want. The point is, you "fucking retard", that OP specifically asked for the safest way way to "store bitcoins", by which he's unknowingly referring to his private key, and that is without a doubt by putting it on piece of paper and locking it away in a safe.

I don't know why I'm even trying to educate someone as stupid as you.

How the fuck is paper "risky". Are you fucking retarded? Unless you're using an "online computer" then you can generate a fucking private key that no one but you will ever see or have access to.

>the actual device in question is named THE LEDGER
Maybe I'm missing something but he's probably referring to the name of the device...

you win biggest tard award congrats!

pretty safe and really easy to use. As another user already said, you are not storing shit on it, it makes it impossible for anyone to get your key if used properly
Got one out of curiosity and using it right now to store ETH and ETC

Jesus all these fucking crazy people.

Yeah its pretty fucking safe. Cant transfer coins without the physical buttons on it, and the PIN.
If its stolen, no biggie, they cant access it and with your 24 word seed you can just get another ledger device and enter the seed and boom, you're all set.

>not encrypting your key and programmatically embedding it back onto the blockchain for worldwide random access
absolutely pleb

What do you mean ?

key loggers.

apparently hardware wallets can do some voodoo shit like obfuscating your private key or some shit. i don't know it all sounds like bs marketing.

Reusing the same public address makes it easier to track your activity and possibly doxx you, which could result in irl ransom or some shit.

Not on an offline computer mothafucka. (As in computer that's never touched an internet connection as well as printer.)

Probably don't want to be spamming the public address everywhere if your looking for security no shit. Not to mention, ordering a hardware wallet to your home address ensures that there is a record of where it's going to be kept and that info is available to someone and on a hackable database so the whole doxxed and break and enter fantasy might even be sketchier for the hardware if you don't want people knowing where your wallet is.

>Paper is the safest if done right boyos.

A paper wallet is as weak as any other wallet because you have to sweep the funds into a desktop, mobile, or web wallet to spend from it.
The private key never leaves the device. Let's say you wanted to spend a bitcoin. You'd enter the address, and amount in the computer, that information goes into your hardware wallet and it's signed internally, then spits out the raw transaction hex and sends it back to your computer to broadcast to the network. An internet connected device never sees the private keys, only the transaction hex. This is the only way to spend with your keys in cold storage the whole time.

why u so mad bro its just play money

Why not just put the key in 5 usbs and thats it?

No you're not because hardware wallets give you a 12 -24 word mnemonic seed. The addresses are all derived from it deterministically using the BIP 39 and BIP 44 protocol. You can restore your keys using any program or device that uses BIP 39 recovery.

Paper wallet vs hardware wallet doesn't really matter all it really comes down to is storing your password and recovery phrase in at least 2 different places.

I store them on 3 different usb sticks.

anyone use a smartphone wallet?

The number of stupid people in here is fascinating.

??? Just import the fucking key and send the entire balance. They're only meant to be withdrawn from once.

you must be mentally impaired

if you just want to store bitcoins it and not doing a lot of transactions, just use paper wallets, it's way cheaper. If you have other coins, just buy a hardware. The nano s is in a shortage of stock, you won't get one before september.

youtube.com/watch?v=W7V2myIwAuE

Exactly. That's what "sweep the funds" means. You had to expose the private key to an internet connected device. There's a weak link in the chain in using paper wallets. With a hardware wallet you can spend without the private key ever interacting with an internet connected device.

A paper wallet isn't the safest, when you want to spend those coins you will still have to import the private key into your computer, if you computer is compromised and attacker might still steal your private key. When you are using a Ledger Nano S the private key is stored on the ledger nano S and will never touch your PC. The ledger nano S signs your transaction and returns the raw transaction hexcode which your pc only has to broadcast to the bitcoin network.

I hope I enlightened some of you.