Ireland

Let's talk about Ireland. A tiny, irrelevant little island on the edge of Europe but I'm sure somebody has some information that makes them worthwhile.

We all know about Collins, arguably one of the greatest rebels to ever live, but what else? Any famous irish leaders, warriors, etc both on and off the battlefield?

Is there a place in the world for irish national pride?

>Any famous Irish leaders?
Here, have this quick rundown

>Boru greater than The O'Neil
No,I cannot accept this.

>In b4 meming about him fighting 'Vikings'
>In b4 stories about how they totally would have unified Ireland, if he hadn't died unexpectedly at the tender age of 73

I just wish that Rome took over Ireland. Then their history would probably be more interesting.

>Things would be more interesting if the one culture in Western Europe that maintained Pre-Roman art forms, legal codes, government forms, and language looked like everything else.

You have a whole Europe to look at post-Roman societies with. I find Ireland interesting precisely because it was never conquered by the Romans. I feel like this is why they have so much more vernacular literature than other societies of the period.

>famous
>Irish
>leaders
pick

The point was to pick noteable leaders from ireland, not relevant on a global scale.

Much of Ireland's relevance is only to the english, scottish and norse shitters, but that doesn't mean there have not been formidable figures.

Collins, one of the greatest guerilla fighters of all time.
Mael sechnaill mac domnaill who absolutely blasted the Vikings so hard that Boru's mop up at clontarf was half as hard as it could have been.
Hugh O'Neill who lead a rebellion that blasted the collective english ass so hard that their economy was almost destroyed and they may not have become the great power they are now.
There are many great people who hail from Ireland, but I guess OP only wants ones who stayed Irish like the fags I listed.

Like, it's a sea blasted island out in a cold northern ocean.

Why would anyone wish to fight over it.

It's in a very strategically important position for trade in western Europe and militarily as well. If you control Ireland you could mount an invasion of Britain quite easily.

Also back in the day shitloads of lumber and food.

Irish fighters have always been a nasty bunch. If Ireland had come together in a way similar to England, they'd have really been a force to be reckoned with.

Also, Gallowglass are the coolest looking motherfuckers in the world.

> If Ireland had come together in a way similar to England, they'd have really been a force to be reckoned with.

>Is there a place in the world for irish national pride?

Yeah, in the dumpster underneath a Union Jack.

Why wouldn't they have been? I'm not saying they'd have been a major power, but more that they'd have been arguably one of the more powerful celtic people.

Ever since Collins pushed our shit in I think it's safe to say britain will no longer have a place in ireland in the long term. Also, you're saying union jacks belong in the dumpster? What have you got against the british navy?

When God made heaven, he thought it not good enough, so he made Ireland and added redheads.

No the Union Jack belongs on the wall gloriously while the mick one is in the garbage also the civil war of the 20s was a mistake and should be corrected.

I wouldn't know, but everyone who fights against the despicable ang*o is a force of good in my book.

>this guy who had a hissyfit over not getting a title would have stopped them gaining dominance in the Americas when everyone was losing theirs
Really makes you think
Also
>implying being plastic paddy is a good thing
>strategically important
So is Normandy yet you have few invasions through there
>shitloads of lumber
Yeah the bad sort of tree on the coast facing Wales whilst the rest is just stony bog that's only good for burning
Boer detected

>Irish national pride
Basically Lithuanian pride whilst being a Polphobe, you would have achieved naff all if not for the English who put the land to good use

Actually the Union Jack belongs on ships. The Union Flag is what we call our nations flag when not used by the navy.

Also the Irish Civil War is what held ireland back, not what made it great. Without the Civil War they'd have kept most of their great soldiers and political minds.

Hugh O'Neills rebellion almost broke England's bank.
I don't mean emptied their coffers, I mean almost absolutely bankrupted them to a point of no return.

Retards who keep getting buttfucked by England

>Also the Irish Civil War is what held ireland back, not what made it great. Without the Civil War they'd have kept most of their great soldiers and political minds.

I was implying that as well. I agree.

Ah, I was confused because you clearly had a lot of disdain for the Irish in which case I'd have assumed you'd be glad at them undoing a lot of their progress in the war.

Naturally, as a Brit, I wish the isles could be united but history shows that if we hadn't been so autistic about the bog then we probably wouldn't have lost it.
I don't like Northern Ireland, I think it is a weird, dirty, artificial little country to which we shouldn't cling to as they contribute very little and are simply incapable of running themselves.
The Nationalist parties will want to remove the border and will thusly never work with the Unionist parties but the system requires both to be represented.

At this point I think Collins idea of a United Ireland working closely with Britain is unironically a better idea than a shitty split ireland not really fussing about the UK.

That and the second best border aesthetic on the isles after all british is definitely Great Britain United and Ireland United next door.

>Why wouldn't they have been? I'm not saying they'd have been a major power, but more that they'd have been arguably one of the more powerful celtic people.

why would they have been? there's important differences between the irish and the british. I don't see the irish creating a colonial empire, or much of an empire at all. They are a pious, provincial sort of people. I can see them exporting culture, art and literature, and violence to their neighbours, but not doing what the british did with their empire

So why don't we abort these subhumans again?

Of course they wouldn't build an empire, they were also one of the more isolated parts of Europe and most of their attention was directed at themselves and to those who showed up on their shores, not what lay beyond. I am in no way implying that Ireland could have been a major player, a colonial force whatsoever or even a pinnacle of culture or religion, simply that had Ireland been a single united nation they could have been quite a force to be reckoned with instead of essentially a fractured land of bickering chiefs trying to grab clay.

As you said, if anything Ireland would have been a pious little land with very few ambitions beyond her own shores. Probably would have taken part in certain European wars as a collective entity nut again, not a major power.

All I'm saying is that a properly united and structured ireland is an interesting concept, nt that the thirteen colonies would be called new mickland or something.

>it's a plastic paddies and butt blasted brits and prods fight over ireland
my favourite threads
nothing brings more hate than my tiny isle

>buttblasted brit

I'm a proud Englishman and don't have an issue with Ireland in the same way I don't have one with France. We had a good scrap in the past and you gave us what-for. If I could hit a button and re-conquer ireland again I probably would but this isn't the case.

I have the very unpopular opinion that we should just let go of NI because it really ought not to be our problem anymore seeing as all we do is dump money into it and we don't get anything back. Ireland should be all british or all irish, I suppose.

Proud to be Irish

The Irish played an important role in preserving Græco-Roman learning during the early middle ages.

While the "dark age" meme is false, it might have been true were it not for the Irish.

For more, see "How the Irish helped save Civilization"

Full disclosure: mai waifu is Irish

>that fucking book

Blows it way out of proportion. The Irish didn't save shit, the reality is they maintained a lot of information and records and were conviently to isolated for anyone to really bother fucking with them, bar raiders and bandits.

They weren't pandora's box, but they did record things well.

>"How the Irish helped save Civilization"
The book hyperbolises things a lot.

Ireland's most important function wasn't preserving the literature of the past, I'd say. I think their greatest strength was that they had such a massive collection of vernacular literature compared to other countries in the same era and their strong interest in theology and monastic tradition influenced all of Europe to a huge degree.

As an Irishman... Thank you for being a Brit with an actual understanding, yet still being a Hail Britannia Brit.

What self respecting man wouldn't heil Britannia?

An Irishman.

I know somewhere out there is a universe where we got it right.

As a /co/ poster there is a part multiverse out there where Ireland doesn't hate Britain (for cultural and physical genocide and all that) but tragically we don't live in that other earth.

But I do feel you bro, I do.

I wish we got along better but I wouldn't really like to see Ireland full of "West Brits" either.
On the other hand, I don't think Irish nor English people ever like to admit our similarities. The fact that plenty of burgers seem to think The Shire from LOTR is based on Ireland (when in fact Tolkein based it on the English countryside) is a perfect example of this.

>tfw Tolkien hated Ireland and considered the Irish language "singularly ugly"

wtf is fuath liom Tolkien anois

Tell me of the Norse influence in Ireland, was it a good or bad thing?

>keep

Why is scotland disconnnected from england

How could you think Irish is ugly but love Welsh?

There are a few Norse loanwords in Irish, mostly to do with ships and farming, they introduced the battle axe to Ireland which became very popular, and of course they founded most of Ireland's cities, though they were driven out of all of them apart from Waterford and Dublin. They also had a bit of an influence on Irish art, particularly in regards to things like brooches and earrings.

It's quite absurd to expect to qualify any of that as "good or bad", don't know what you meant by that.

the Irish are descended from the slaves of the anglo-saxons that were left master-less due to the norman take over and banning of slavery

some anglo-saxon lords created large paedophilic breeding systems (they'd breed post-pubertal slaves to produce new children) in order to persuade the norman lords not to ban slavery (they'd give the normans proto-irish children as sex slaves), but the normans were disgusted by this so they sent all the slaves including the sex-slave children to the then neanderthal inhabited ireland where they intermixed and created the irish race as we know today

Lindy?

Irish rebellion is meme. Britain abandoned part of island because of deal with USA.

I can't believe those slimy potato niggers destroyed the sanctity of boundaries the British Isles. By their drunken stinking treachery they turned ireland into the site of massive border gore. Britain had united the BRITISH Isles to encompass ALL the border of every island in the archipelago. But you bumfuck peasantcucks, who heartily suck priest cock and shit out generation of inbred hillbillies to dump in other countries and mongrelize their population, YOU decide to end what was a UNION that was on the road to greater harmony. I WANT you to look at this map, you fucking mick Barbarians. Your little island which pretends to larp as "IRELAND", a total bastardization of the ancient gaelic who were anyway nobler than any of you papist wretches, is WEST BRITAIN and will forever be WEST BRITAIN.

proof?

this

aesthetic borders are a moral goal that supercedes "muh culture"

I too remember Lindybeige's weird racist fringe theorist days

animals aren't a race

>The Irish didn't save shit, they just maintained info that couldn't be kept anywhere else

rude

I mean, they're radically different cultures so I'd say its quite easy.

split North Atlantic Isles™ with a united Ireland is far more aesthetic in mine humble unbiased opinion

what do you mean split? you mean ireland and great britain are separate?

yes, unless you want to go full autistic with arbitrary geographic labels and call Ireland the Emerald Isle or something

NOWnownow actually they should be called the tin islands as a BLECK Ancient Greek named them as such
Oh the progressiveness

>radically different cultures

I'm talking about language, not culture.

This, Romans only went there for Muh tin.

No it was actually to conquer Gauls before they got conquered, and then the emperor which actually conquers England did it for MUH PRESTIGE MUH SHORT WAR TO GET COUNTRY BEHIJD ME

>and then the emperor which actually conquers England did it for MUH PRESTIGE MUH SHORT WAR TO GET COUNTRY BEHIJD ME
This. Britain was only conquered to inflate Claudius' ego.

>muh borders
i sure hope scotland leaves so i can watch you autistically screeching in scotland threads

What did Elizabeth I talk To Shane Uí Néill about?

Man I love being Irish

You love being inbred or irrelevant?

I love being able to steal yo girl with this sexy Irish accent. U mad anglo boy?

>sexy Irish accent
Tyrone, the ladies I date care little for your gutteral tongue

we need to go deeper

>Irish fighters have always been a nasty bunch.

There's little things in history as cringy as le myth of the Irish ''''''''rebel''''''''.

Ireland is cuckland and the Irish are the toppest bunch of cucks ever, only notable as plantation slaves in Barbados and for fleeing en masse to Merica. They are the Ilotans of the Spartans, the eunuchs of the Grand Vizier, the gipsies of the Indian caste system.

Fuck's sake, even the Tibetan monks with their meme trumpets managed to keep the chinese empire away for most of their history...

The Irish? Top fucking lol!. It's >the current year and they still have 1/3 of their country cucked by the Brits.

>abortion
>Ireland