Canadian Heritage Minutes

What's Veeky Forums opinion on these?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s4i_qe9W6Dk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

we wuz basketball n shiet

low budget attempt at pretending Canada has history

pleasant if futile attempts to educate the plebs in how their country is nominally different from the US.

unironically the CBC needs to fuck off and die

My opinion is that of the anglo anglo colonies, only America has an interesting history.

canada?

I guess EVERYONE has to have a history

the most interesting thing, or rather, the only important piece of Canadian history was the entire city of Halifax exploding

Debatably also Aus, and the African colonies if we're counting them have some interesting stuff.

That was pretty powerful if the records are true

I said anglo anglo colonies, not the African or Asian ones.

Canada and AusNZ are literally whos of world history.

apparently an aussie was the mastermind of the heavy armored breakthrough vehicle thingy that became the tank

>government-funded media gets outdone by the government itself in advertising Canada's history

somehow, I am not shocked

youtube.com/watch?v=s4i_qe9W6Dk

pretending those are "canadians" is simply sad

we gotta have something

the only 'real Canadians' of the time were Franco-Injun fur trappers living in bumfuck nowhere

I guess a charming lie is kinder than a boring truth

Anyone else get a weird vibe from Canada? Although many people like to make fun of the US not having a culture, I can give plenty of examples of American (pop) culture.

Canada however, I can not imagine something that seems to be a Canadian culture. They have rejected their Anglo culture in favour of some sort of multicultural patchwork and they are known for being "nice", but how on earth is niceness culture.

well they have the voyageurs fur trappers/ exporters, but that's sort of not coming from "Canada" but its primordial era

if that's not Canada, do you count nothing before 1867 as Canadian? or nothing before the 1960s because that's when modern Canadian culture as implied was born?

Canada has a culture, but it is esoteric
we are heavily influenced by US culture, but we influence it right back

I suppose Americans did have to travel through Canada to get to the Yukon gold fields

so that's SOME influence in history

and many canadians have moved to the US, to be sure, and maybe, just maybe I watched theodore the tugboat as a boy,

but other than that, it's far from a titanic influence

Don't get me wrong. I am Dutch and many people here have respect for the Canadians (some of my family members moved there). However, our perception of Canadians is still somewhat similar to the way we met you in World War 2. We thought you guys a more ruggish, outdoors version of the Anglo-Saxons with Quebecois and US influence.

However, when I look at modern canada today it seems like it wants to be "everything but nothing at the same time under the guide of a progressive state", this seems especially strong to me after Trudeau got elected. Many people here are unaware that there are lots of non-whites in your country and still see it as the potential new farm land.

There was no mention of relevance

Any Canadian will agree, this country has had marginal influence on world events, but to say it has no history or no culture is ridiculous

The American/Candida boarder used to be much more porous as fuck like pretty much non-existent. Those were the days to be quite honest.

I see much of Canada's formative history as a lame effort by the British to give an excuse for the US not to expand northward, and eventually this turned in a country.

That's just my own interpretation.

>Many people here are unaware that there are lots of non-whites in your country and still see it as the potential new farm land.

this, my friend, is a kek

I was told that if I tell people in the Netherlands that I am Canadian, I will never have to pay for a beer, is this true?

also, that rugged outdoors is still here, cause of this country's unfathomable geographical size

oh sure, I still can't believe there's a passport requirement, the future is not nearly as convenient as advertised

>I see much of Canada's formative history as a lame effort by the British to give an excuse for the US not to expand northward, and eventually this turned in a country.

Yes, kind of.
Idk what other effort they were supposed to make other than defending the borders of their empire. Go to war with the US by invading their territory?

it was a confederation of colonies that attained (responsible) self-government, then peacefully developed into a modern industrial state with gradually more autonomy from Britain as far as law and culture go

Canada existed alongside the United States if not a country than a colony. It wasnt formed in response to the USA.

At the core of our national "mythos" was one of loyalty to the crown and belief in british system of law and order was a net benefit. Indeed many loyalists fled north after the American revolution.

Thats had a profound impact on making Canadians slightly different from Americans.

did you know there is only ~150k km^2 difference in total area between our respective countries?

that map projection is simply bonkers

>Idk what other effort they were supposed to make other than defending the borders of their empire

compelling the Indians to attack the frontier was their poison for a bit