Tyre.
New York.

Carthage
Jerusalem

Sydney :p

I dont know about Edo

its was heavily populated by not a heritage to behold like Heian or Kyoto

Also relatively recent in history

wasn't Carthage's existence short lived?

Thebes
Memphis
Alexandria

Alexandria
Bejing
London
Akkad
Thebe

Berlin
Milan
Prague

Barcelona
Marseille
Grenada
Lisbon

It was the home of Japanese popular culture. Where would modern Japan be without rakugo, kabuki and Yoshiwara?

Sidon
Damascus
Palmyria
Delhi
Ur
Uruk
Eridu
Xi'an

>Ur
>Uruk
Aren't they the same?

Amsterdam

No. Also adding Nineveh.

Antioch

Geneva

>no Tenochtitlan

Veeky Forums is shit

One night while camping with some college friends, we all took shrooms and stared at the stars and one of the constellations told me its name was "Antioch, like the city." I remember staring at the two stars that formed the "eyes" of the constellation, and they stared right back at me, and Antioch told me that in a thousand years those stars were going to collide and when that happened, "everything was going to change."

Ever since then, whenever I read the name Antioch (like when reading about Roman history or early Christianity or whatever) I legitimately feel anxious and queasy.

Anyways, Antioch definitely belongs on the list.

oh, you little fuck

Manchester (Birth of Industrial Revolution)

Just thought it should be included for ushering in the industrial age if you're gonna put in glorified trading posts like Marseilles and Venice

Yo, chill the fuck out, Mexico, the thread is young yet.

Continuing with Mesoamerica, Cuzco, Copan and especially Teotihuacan also belong on the list. Maybe Tikal and Palenque and Calakmul too.

Novgorod (definitely)

Sparta (definitely), Corinth (maybe)

Stockholm, Copenhagen (maybe)

Does Ur just mean city in Akkadian or something ?

>Roma
>Better than Constantinopolis

Both are great

My big dilemma is great Indian cities

India had so many ancient cities that rose and fell

Maybe Ayodhya ?

Ctesiphon

What's that

Looking now, their engineers were such shit. No symmetry at all.
>Rome > Persia

former capital of the Parthian/Sassanid empire

Ecbatana
>tfw no persian cities

But it's A E S T H E T I C

Mecca

>No Vienna
>No Aachen
>No Ravenna
>No Madrid

As much as I hate it, it's true

>asymetric
>aesthetic
Nope, looks like African trash

Cooler than arch di trumpf in Paris

Still, looks like African trash. That's not even it lol.

Rhodes.

Xi'an
Varanasi
Uruk
Samarkand
Paris
New York
Moscow
Jerusalem
Florence
Edo
Carthage
Bagdhad
Alexandria

Was trying to think alphabetically.

Los Angeles

>Venice
>San Marino
>Berlin
>Nuremberg
>Dubai

Chichén-Itzá and Uxmal

>Sparta (definitely)
Veeky Forums is shit

>Prague > Vienna
>Augsburg > Aachen
>Pavia > Ravenna
>Toledo > Madrid

New York is the largest city of the world's superpower, a multi-ethnic and multi-racial metropolis that was the stopping off point for waves of immigrants from around the world, the home of over 120 colleges, the home of the UN, and the home of two largest stock exchanges. It should be on the list. It's basically the the cultural and financial capital of the world.

The multi-racial part ruined it.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things, yeah. But immensely important to naval tech and trade

Yeah, he's the kind of person who unironically believes "diversity is our strength".

Are you autistic?

Sassanid architecture /art is the base for what we call Islamic art or architecture

It is the same building. One is called a ruin.

Go back to /pol

Even with quints, I don't believe you. What did Carthage do to naval tech and trade that hadn't existed before or wasn't done better elsewhere?

Rome
Babylon
Jerusalem
London
New York
Moscow
Florence
Constantinopel
Carthage
Paris
Milan
Baghdad
Athens
Nanjing
Vienna
Budapest
Prague
Lisbon

Cordoba
Grenada
Valencia
Fez
Tangiers
Algiers
Oran
Marrakech

Spotted the morrocan

>also overrepresenting european cities
We should pick the three most important cities from 3000BC until now in evenly spaced time intervals.

Also: Timbuktu & Angkor Wat

Kek'd harder than I should've

I mean... they ARE the successor to rome

Godlike wizardry

Jerusalem is so underrated.

Spain is RIGHTFUL moroccan clay.
prove me wrong

Kiev

Machu Picchu
Tenochtitlan
Palenque
Chan Chan

came here to post this

My negro.
Not even mexican.

Jerusalem
Jericho
New York (maybe)
Moenjodaro

Jerusalem was a meme city, literally.

600 years roughly when it was Phoenician, 500-600 years as Roman Carthage

>Meme meme meme meme meme

Fuck off you mentally retarded illiterate

Y-your a big arch

Nanjing, Xi'an.

If you include cities like Stockholm and Copenhagen then include Cracow and Warsaw too lol...

>Liverpool
Gateway to the British Empire

Carthage's ships were the best in the mediterranean and (I may get this wrong) I think they invented quinqueremes?

Pella, bcuz of Phillip II and Alexander the Great

actually early colonial mexico city was far, far more relevant
literally the first american trade hub for euro and asian goods

t. grzegorz

>Holiest place to three of the top religions
>Is older than Rome
>Cite of mass amounts of murders and massacres
>Is not in Europe.

yeah total Meme dude.

> Denver
> Denver
> Denver
> Denver
> Denver

Surely you mean Turku.

Balkh/Bactria
>Balkh, situated forty- three miles south of the Amu Darya (ancient Oxus River) separating modern Afghanistan and Uzbekistan. Balkh was by any measure one of the greatest cities of late antiquity. Its urban walls enclosed roughly a thousand acres, while the outermost walls that protected its suburban region and gardens were more than seventy-five miles in length.

>To appreciate Balkh’s size, the citadel alone, called Bala Hisar, was twice the size of the entire lower city at Priene, a typical Hellenistic city on the Turkish coastline, and ten times the total area of ancient Troy.

>Everything about Balkh exuded the immense wealth amassed from a booming agricultural sector based on wheat, rice, and citrus fruits; the manufacture of metal tools and ceramic housewares, turquoise gemstones, and fine leather goods; and from international trade that reached as far as India, the Middle East, and China. Indeed, Balkh was perfectly positioned along the main route across Afghanistan to India and westward to the Mediterranean. Even today one finds on the surface at Balkh shards of pottery that are identical to both Roman and Indian ware of the period ad 100– 400. No wonder that Roman writers already described Balkh as fabulously rich, and that later Arab visitors, who knew well the bazaars and palaces of Damascus, Antioch, and Cairo, would refer to it as the “mother of cities."

Merv
>Merv, in what is now southern Turkmenistan, an enormous urban complex that was already ancient in AD 500. Several of these cities rivaled Xian (Chang’an) in China, said to be the largest city on earth at the time, with its walls extending for sixteen miles. Unlike Chinese cities, Central Asian cities had several rings of walls, the outermost to keep out invading nomads and the encroaching sand. At the Merv oasis the outermost rampart ran for more than 155 miles, three times the length of Hadrian’s Wall separating England from Scotland. At least ten days would have been required to cover this distance on camelback. This wall protected a region of intensive agriculture, many small towns with diversified manufacturing, and the core city, which surpassed Balkh in size and population.

>Under the Seljuks, Merv expanded to its greatest size—Arab and Persian geographers termed it "the mother of the world", the "rendezvous of great and small", the "chief city of Khurasan" and the capital of the eastern Islamic world. Written sources also attest to a large library and madrasa founded by Nizam al-Mulk (Vizier: 1064-1092), as well as many other major cultural institutions. Perhaps most importantly, Merv was said to have a market that is "the best of the major cities of Iran and Khurasan" (Herrmann 1999). According to historian Tertius Chandler, Merv was the largest city in the world from 1145 to 1153, with a population of 200,000.

Back when the aryan tocharians still existed.

Then the small dicked mongoloids ruined everything.

>1145-1153

>Jerusalem

Fucking meme city only known thanks to the spread of Christianity. Nineveh, Babylon, Persepolis, Tyre, so may other nearby regional cities had far more relevance economically, culturally, and politically.

>Beijing
Beijing is literally the newest Chink capital ever.

*The* City in China is Chang'an (now called Xian). It was the capital of the founding dynasty (Qin) and capital of many dynasties up until the T'ang Period.

It also set the standard for Chinese and East Asian city planning (sewage, grid planning, wide as fuck avenues, etc.)

>>Holiest place to three of the top religions
Precisely a meme city.

Ya gotta have Petra on there.

Petra.

>Aryan Tocharians.
The Tocharians didn't even see the fucking ADs. They were already long gone by the early BCs.

it kind of is when you get food from a different culture everyday of the week.

Sydney
Melbourne
Aleppo
Muscat
Palmyra
Medina
Pompeii/Naples
Krakow
Talianki
Singapore

Rome
Kiev
Berlin
Medina
Jerusalem
Paris
Madrid
Babylon
Moscow
Oslo

LA

Chang'An
Nanjing

>No Timbuktu mentioned yet

They did, the Romans stole several ship designs from Carthage. The Phoenicians as a whole where masterful sailors. archive.org/details/periplusofhannov00hann
Sailed farther than romans ever did.

Salisbury in rhodesia was the greatest city of its time. too bad its time passed in 1979.

looks just like Brisbane

Good think Tenochtitlan and Mexico city are the same city then

Atlantis

Beijing is insignificant compared to Xi'an and Luoyang.

I nominate Bukhara for its importance as a centre of Persian culture and Islamic learning.

any trendy alt pics?
Ancrya/Ankara?
Sinope?
Rhodes?
Gordium?
Marsielle/Massilia?
Syracuse?
Edinburgh?