faculty.uml.edu/ethan_Spanier/Teaching/documents/CP6.0AssyrianTorture.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=lktmmd7YnD8
youtube.com/watch?v=YCr3YEGGgr8
heavenawaits.wordpress.com/nebuchadnezzar-ate-grass/
biblehub.com/kjv/daniel/4.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

name one mesopotamian invention

Sumer still blows my damn mind.

They appeared out of the stone age fully formed. No gradual linear technological growth in sight.

If Earth was a video game then Sumer used hax

Civilization

invented so much of everything yet could not traverse a north south latitude and only ever domesticated dogs and llamas.

credit only goes so far as maybe inventing their own system of writing, and inventing a wheel without spokes.

what a shit thread.

longitude*

Nations.

>and only ever domesticated dogs and llamas.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're shitposting, and not an actual retard.

oh are we not talking about mesoamerica ?

writing and accounting
monumentalism
political administration
professional army
intensive agriculture (8oxen ploughs)
city states
organised religion

user...

High rise buildings

Also, Sumer having to invent armies is so sad. Says a lot about humanity

Burgers should be banned from posting on Veeky Forums

Anime

Haha jokes on you I was only pretending to be retarded!

Daily reminder sumerian is an language isolate

They were clearly helped by the ayylmaos

lol

Reminder that the Assyrians were j e r k s

>language isolate

Continue

Really? I hear about places like Jericho and Caltalhoyuk, and how the settlers of those places gradually developed their societies over time. I assume the Sumerians travelled from these kinds of areas and applied what they already knew to the lands in southern Mesopotamia.

>jerks
that and then some

What is there to continue? Sumerian literally appeared out of nowhere. Not linked to semitic or PIE or anything. Clearly ayylmao influence IMHO.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_isolate

Massive, massive jerks:
faculty.uml.edu/ethan_Spanier/Teaching/documents/CP6.0AssyrianTorture.pdf

DELET THIS

but it's not the only example

The tower of Babel is the biggest structure ever built.

According to the book of Jasher, it took 3 days to walk around it.

This might be a dumb question, but how were the Babylonians able to color the Ishtar Gate blue? Was it paint? How did they acquire blue paint?

Forgot pic

Does ancient Persia count as Mesopotamian? They copied a lot from them

They probably used lapus lazuli, a rich blue gemstone popular with the ancient Egyptians and ancient Near Mesopotamians.

It is where mankind gathered after the Flood.

When God scattered the people, it marked the beginning of different cultures around the world.

A. Four Sons of Ham:
1. Mizraim (Egypt)
2. Cush (Sudan, Ethiopia)
3. Put (Lybia)
4. Canaan (Hivites, Jebusites, Arvadites, Girgashites, Amorites, Arkites, Sinites, Hittites,
Sidonians, Perizzites, Zemarites)

B. Five Sons of Shem:
1. Elam (Arabia)
2. Asshur (Assyria)
3. Lud (Lydians)
4. Aram (Aramaic, Armenia, Mesopotamia, Syria)
5. Arphaxad (From which Abraham descended)

C. Japheth's Descendants (14 Nations came out of Japheth):
The immediate descendants of Japheth were seven in number, and are represented by the nations designated Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Mesech, and Tiras; or, roughly, the Armenians, Lydians, Medes, Greeks, Tibarenians, and Moschians, the last, Tiras, remaining still obscure. The sons of Gomer (Ashkenaz, Riphath and Togarmah) were all settled in the West Asian tract; while the sons of Javan (Elisah, Tarshish, Kittim and Dodanim or Rodanim) occupied the Mediterranean coast and the adjacent islands.

Seven Sons of Japheth
1. Javan (Greece, Romans, Romance -- French, Italians, Spanish, Portuguese)
2. Magog (Scythians, Slavs, Russians, Bulgarians, Bohemians, Poles, Slovaks, Croatians)
3. Madai (Indians & Iranic: Medes, Persians, Afghans, Kurds)
4. Tubal (South of Black Sea)
5. Tiras (Thracians, Teutons, Germans, Scandinavian, Anglo-Saxon, Jutes)
6. Meshech (Russia)
7. Gomer (Celtic)

No, the Assyrian, Neo-Babylonian and Persian empires were way too recent (500~800 BC). Mesopotamia as in the earliest urban civilization was centuries older.

correction: they gathered at Shinar.

Nimrod encouraged everyone to go to Babylon

Do you absolutely need to post this shit in every ancient near-east threads?

Thanks, user. I could see how pulverising Lapis Lazuli into a kind of paste would work.

Babylon is what the Greek named it.
The original in Aramaic was "Bab-illú" or something.

They got the name after YHVH confused their languages, thus it became known as the place of babble. Nobody understood each other.

>information is bad!

What are you even doing on the HISTORY board?

Judaism

>earth is 6000yo according to creationistfags
What about catalhoyuk?
What about Jericho?
What about Jarmo?
What about Choga Bonut?

Is this information bad too?

Everyone always talks about Sumer and Assyria and Babylon, but there's never any love for Akkad. It's literally the first ever Empire.

>earth is 999999999999999999999999999 gorillion years old according to darwintards

and don't forget to take your fedora with you

its not "painted" its blue stones

Of course there is, every near-east mesopotamian-based civilisations tried to emulate him from Ur-nammu to Hammurabi to tiglath-pileser

>merely mentioning archeological sites 1000 or 2000years older than biblical chronology is enough to trigger the christcucks
Nice strawman faggot

4.5 billion really.

its interesting how abram (later to be known as abraham) fucked with nimrod.

it was like a type of christ vs antichrist

>abram's father builds pagan statues and idols
>abram smashes them with an axe
>father asks why he did it
>abram says "they fought each other after i offered them food"
>father says "do you think im stupid? they are just idols, they are not alive"
>abram says "Exactly. so why do you worship them instead of the one true living God?"

>nimrod orders abraham killed
>gets thrown in fire furnace
>he feels no pain and doesn't die
>nimrod gets scared and repents
>abram moves away from ur/chaldea and goes to the promised land of canaan

6000 years really.

>all this crazy shit happening only a few hundred years before the Persian invasions of greece.

why is the ancient Near East so fucking cool? And what is this the time period of this area commonly referred to as?

Jasher is not part of canon scripture, so I would take it with a grain of salt.

Though it and Enoch are still interesting books to read.

It's referred to as the Biblical times, or just "Ancient" history.

Greece/Rome is "Antiquity".

why 4000 bc?

Shit, you're right. I'm a retard.

Doesn't Satan's rebellion happen before the creation of the world?

Assyria would've stopped Alexander the Great. Prove me wrong

1. Adding up the genealogies, come out at 4000bc
2. Going from 7 billion people back to 2 (taking into account the Flood bottleneck, come out at 4000bc
3. Secular history of empires/civilizations is also only about 6000 years old

but its mostly the genealogies

*blocks your path*

I thought it was more commonly referred to as the Bronze Age.

Assyrians were extremely violent and warlike.
The shit they did to their captives, sick.

It took a confederation of Egypt, Babylon and the Medes to stop them.

After that, the little tribe of Persia rebelled against their Median overlords and would eventually form the Persian (also known as Achaemenid or Medo-Persian) empire.

Why did Babylon destroy Jerusalem?

arent the medes modern day kurds?

that's a neat pic

but I was mainly wondering if the history of the Near East is divided by some kind of common nomenclature.
Or if "Ancient Mesopotamia" is for everything. I mean there's a lot of time between Sargon of Akkad (~2200 bc?) to the Neo-Assyrian Empire (824-625 bc).

>the little tribe of Persia rebelled against their Median overlords
It wasn't quite a rebellion from what I understand, Astyages was supposed to be unpopular which made Cyrus overthrowing him fairly easy. Also Cyrus was not a stranger to the achaemenids, I believe he actually was astyages' cousin.

Also should mention cyrus's wife was literally the sister or niece of astyages, so that was more a case of a cadet branch of the achaemenid's taking power and cementing legitimacy through a marriage alliance to merge both persian and median family lines.

They kept vacillating between Babylon and Egypt, and Babylon eventually got tired of their shit.

Jews were wicked and vile, they were worshipping pagan gods and persecuted prophets who were trying to warn them to turn back to God or face judgement.

So God used the Babylonians to destroy them.

Before this, the northern kingdom of Israel suffered the same fate by the Assyrians.

Under the Persian empire, the Jews were given another chance. That's when they built the second temple, which would be destroyed in 70 AD as foretold by Jesus.

No. That's a meme

Just ancient, user.

Ancient
Antiquity
Medieval
Colonial/Discovery
Napoleonic?
Industrial
Modern

You know what blows my mind? That the time-span from Sumer to Cyrus is pretty much the same as the time-span from Cyrus to now.

youtube.com/watch?v=lktmmd7YnD8

youtube.com/watch?v=YCr3YEGGgr8

The most common division for archaeologists is into Bronze Age and Iron Age, sometimes with numbered subdivisions. There are also some distinct periods where a single polity dominated the region, like the Neo-Babylonian Empire.

Here is a general chronology.

if you have rome total war you should just download the "rise of persia" mod

Neolithic Period (7000-3500BC)
Uruk Period (3500-3100BC)
Proto-literate Period (3100-2800BC)
Early Dynastic Period (2800-2300BC)
Akkadian Empire (2300-2200BC)
Neo-Sumerian (2100-2000BC)
Amorite Interperiod (2000-1800BC)
Babylonian Empire (1800-1600BC)
Kassite Babylonia (1600-1110BC)
Elamite Period & Isin Dynasty (1100BC-1000BC)
Period of Chaos (1000BC-900BC)
Neo-Assyrian Empire (900-600BC)
Neo-Babylonian Empire (600-550BC)
Achaemenid Empire & Persian Ascendency (550BC-330BC)
Macedonian Empire & Diadochi (310-60BC)
Parthian and Sassanid Empire (60BC- 651AD)

From my old coursework notes

>why can't we live in le eternal peace. So sad omg xddd

Lmao low-T redditor spotted.

Get off this site if you don't know how human nature works, kid. Competition between nations, companies, and individuals is the reason why you have the privilege of spending your entire day on /r/malefeminists.

>why can't le we le live together??? Maybe if wimmin ruled the world and not eebil men, we could live in peace.

What if Babylon helped out the Medes to quell the Persian uprising? Actually, why didn't they?

At that time Marduk-Baladan son of Baladan king of Babylon sent Hezekiah letters and a gift, because he had heard of Hezekiah’s illness. Hezekiah received the envoys and showed them all that was in his storehouses—the silver, the gold, the spices and the fine olive oil—his armory and everything found among his treasures. There was nothing in his palace or in all his kingdom that Hezekiah did not show them.

Then Isaiah the prophet went to King Hezekiah and asked, “What did those men say, and where did they come from?”

“From a distant land,” Hezekiah replied. “They came from Babylon.”

The prophet asked, “What did they see in your palace?”

“They saw everything in my palace,” Hezekiah said. “There is nothing among my treasures that I did not show them.”

Then Isaiah said to Hezekiah, “Hear the word of the Lord: The time will surely come when everything in your palace, and all that your predecessors have stored up until this day, will be carried off to Babylon. Nothing will be left, says the Lord. And some of your descendants, your own flesh and blood who will be born to you, will be taken away, and they will become eunuchs in the palace of the king of Babylon.”

tl;dr:
>King of Judah shows his gold and glorious shit to Babylonian nobles
>King of Babylon wants that shit

but yes, ultimately Jerusalem fell because God was sick of their rebellion. they had many warnings but they didn't listen.

Why should they care?

Medes and Persians were ethnically similar.
2 tribes of the same stock.

An Egyptian scribe named Khakheperraseneb complained around 1900 BC that there was nothing new for him to write because all the words had been worn out through repetition.

>Neo-Babylonian Empire (600-550BC)

Pathetic. They should never have betrayed their Assyrian brothers

Yeah, but I'm just saying; considering the combined might of Babylonia and Media managed to crush Assyria, there's a chance the Persians wouldn't have been able to stand up to the alliance had they worked together to stop the rebellion.

Well, politics.
We don't know.

>It took a confederation of Egypt, Babylon and the Medes to stop them.
I'm pretty sure Egypt was on Assyria's side.

Nebuchadnezzar was humbled by God, the guy literally lived in the wild and acted like an animal, being debased after acting so mighty and proud.

So that little ass-kicking probably had something to do with it.

The babylonians always saw the assyrians as imitators rather than brothers and resented them deeply for controlling the northern trade routes. They kept rebelling and trying to undermine the assyrians during the entire duration of the neo-assyrian empire. Their ruling elite was essentially split between assyrian stooges (see the dynasty E) and the other half (from Isin southern region was the old traditional babylonian families).

Ironically they got BTFO not simply because they were weak against the persians, but because they were also technically chaldaeans and babylonian larpers. So they never got the loyalty of the other ruling families so the persians divided them easily. Nearly every ruling dynasty after the fall of Ur-nammu (neo-sumerian period) had major issues with keeping the loyalty of their fellow aristocrats because of purity spiraling.

>Nebuchadnezzar was humbled by God, the guy literally lived in the wild and acted like an animal, being debased after acting so mighty and proud
>Things that never happened

>At that time the maiden was advised by her own mother, Ninlil was advised by Nun-bar-ce-gunu: "The river is holy, woman! The river is holy -- don't bathe in it! Ninlil, don't walk along the bank of the Id-nunbir-tum! His eye is bright, the lord's eye is bright, he will look at you! The Great Mountain, Father Enlil -- his eye is bright, he will look at you! The shepherd who decides all destinies -- his eye is bright, he will look at you! Straight away he will want to have intercourse, he will want to kiss! He will be happy to pour lusty semen into the womb, and then he will leave you to it!"

>Enlil spoke to his minister Nuska: "Nuska, my minister!" "At your service! What do you wish?" "Master builder of the E-kur!" "At your service, my lord!" "Has anyone had intercourse with, has anyone kissed a maiden so beautiful, so radiant -- Ninlil, so beautiful, so radiant?" The minister brought his master across by boat, bringing him over with the rope of a small boat, bringing him over in a big boat. The lord, floating downstream to ...... -- he was actually to have intercourse with her, he was actually to kiss her! -- father Enlil, floating downstream to ...... -- he was actually to have intercourse with her, he was actually to kiss her! -- he grasped hold of her whom he was seeking -- he was actually to have intercourse with her, he was actually to kiss her! -- so as to lie with her on a small bank ....... He actually had intercourse with her, he actually kissed her. At this one intercourse, at this one kissing he poured the seed of Suen-Acimbabbar into her womb.

Why were the Sumerians so lewd?

thanks anonss

They invented hentai.

This is clearly ancient autism

If you're an atheist this is probably not gonna mean much to you.

But according to the Bible, God uses nations and empires for His purpose.

Assyria was 'raised up' to conquer the Israelites.
Babylon was then 'raised up' to conquer Judah.

After the time of Jewish captivity has been allotted (like a teacher giving a student timeout after misbehaving), God used Cyrus to form an empire to not only free the Jews but also to punish all the pagan wicked nations.

This also makes sense in the context that the Persians adopted their Zoroastrian religion based on a scroll of Isaiah.

>Proclamation of Cyrus
"Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, All the kingdoms of the earth hath the LORD God of heaven given me; and he hath charged me to build him an house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Who is there among you of all his people? The LORD his God be with him, and let him go up."

- 2 Chronicles 36:23

What the fuck am i reading lmao

heavenawaits.wordpress.com/nebuchadnezzar-ate-grass/
biblehub.com/kjv/daniel/4.htm

>Enlil's superior seed
literally /pol/ posters

>Things
>That
>Never
>Happened

>it didn't happen in my mind!

>It happened in a book that means it happened!

Course order is slightly fucked at the end I should mention. Didn't mention roman rule from 60BC to 240AD. But it's technically irrelevant since they basically to the main meat of that course which was the ancient antiquity periods. My prof was a quality autist bless his little heart.

21 And all the princes of Nimrod and his great men took counsel together; Phut, Mitzraim, Cush and Canaan with their families, and they said to each other, Come let us build ourselves a city and in it a strong tower, and its top reaching heaven, and we will make ourselves famed, so that we may reign upon the whole world, in order that the evil of our enemies may cease from us, that we may reign mightily over them, and that we may not become scattered over the earth on account of their wars.

22 And they all went before the king, and they told the king these words, and the king agreed with them in this affair, and he did so.

23 And all the families assembled consisting of about six hundred thousand men, and they went to seek an extensive piece of ground to build the city and the tower, and they sought in the whole earth and they found none like one valley at the east of the land of Shinar, about two days' walk, and they journeyed there and they dwelt there.

24 And they began to make bricks and burn fires to build the city and the tower that they had imagined to complete.

25 And the building of the tower was unto them a transgression and a sin, and they began to build it, and whilst they were building against the Lord God of heaven, they imagined in their hearts to war against him and to ascend into heaven.

26 And all these people and all the families divided themselves in three parts; the first said We will ascend into heaven and fight against him; the second said, We will ascend to heaven and place our own gods there and serve them; and the third part said, We will ascend to heaven and smite him with bows and spears; and God knew all their works and all their evil thoughts, and he saw the city and the tower which they were building.

27 And when they were building they built themselves a great city and a very high and strong tower; and on account of its height the mortar and bricks did not reach the builders in their ascent to it, until those who went up had completed a full year, and after that, they reached to the builders and gave them the mortar and the bricks; thus was it done daily.

28 And behold these ascended and others descended the whole day; and if a brick should fall from their hands and get broken, they would all weep over it, and if a man fell and died, none of them would look at him.

29 And the Lord knew their thoughts, and it came to pass when they were building they cast the arrows toward the heavens, and all the arrows fell upon them filled with blood, and when they saw them they said to each other, Surely we have slain all those that are in heaven.

30 For this was from the Lord in order to cause them to err, and in order; to destroy them from off the face of the ground.

31 And they built the tower and the city, and they did this thing daily until many days and years were elapsed.

32 And God said to the seventy angels who stood foremost before him, to those who were near to him, saying, Come let us descend and confuse their tongues, that one man shall not understand the language of his neighbor, and they did so unto them.

33 And from that day following, they forgot each man his neighbor's tongue, and they could not understand to speak in one tongue, and when the builder took from the hands of his neighbor lime or stone which he did not order, the builder would cast it away and throw it upon his neighbor, that he would die.

34 And they did so many days, and they killed many of them in this manner.

35 And the Lord smote the three divisions that were there, and he punished them according to their works and designs; those who said, We will ascend to heaven and serve our gods, became like apes and elephants; and those who said, We will smite the heaven with arrows, the Lord killed them, one man through the hand of his neighbor; and the third division of those who said, We will ascend to heaven and fight against him, the Lord scattered them throughout the earth.

36 And those who were left amongst them, when they knew and understood the evil which was coming upon them, they forsook the building, and they also became scattered upon the face of the whole earth.

37 And they ceased building the city and the tower; therefore he called that place Babel, for there the Lord confounded the Language of the whole earth; behold it was at the east of the land of Shinar.

38 And as to the tower which the sons of men built, the earth opened its mouth and swallowed up one third part thereof, and a fire also descended from heaven and burned another third, and the other third is left to this day, and it is of that part which was aloft, and its circumference is three days' walk.

39 And many of the sons of men died in that tower, a people without number.

>they cast the arrows toward the heavens, and all the arrows fell upon them filled with blood
>and when the ysaw them they said to each other, Surely we have slain all those that are in heaven.

Now that's what I call trolling, God must've had a laugh with that one.

>things that still didn't happen
meanwhile in reality sumerian cuneiform was adopted by the akkadians, eblaites, hittites, elamites and revolutionized the culture of the entire near-east

>M-MUH EBIL LANGUAGE