Italian Empire

What was Italy's colonial empire like and how was Italy as a coloniser.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faccetta_Nera
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Shit

Such an insightful and deep post.

Really made me think.

Brutal concentration camps in Libya and Ethiopia. Granted, they did build roads, schools and hospitals there. Somalia was the opposite since both groups seem to have good relations. Somalia was the most developed colony as a result.

>Granted, they did build roads, schools and hospitals there.

For the Italians user. Like only they can use them and it serviced their needs exclusively.

Somalia still had issues but Italy didn't stay there that long, if they did the standard colonization stuff would've happened ramped up.

Also other question should Ethiopia be considered an Italian colony? It's often said it was one of countries that avoided colonialism.

shit and it was a drain on their finances and never actually returned a profit

I'm not really sure on the specifics of what makes an occupied county a colony or just occupied but they took over Ethiopia in military conquest and didn't even occupy them for a decade so I doubt it could've really had the full colony treatment, but I'm sure the conditions were on par with north african colonies

k

It was invaded twice. First time was in the rush to carve up Africa at the end of the 19th C, and that's when they repelled colonialism.

Mussolini invaded again in the 1930s and won, but of course that only last 10 years because there was a war in Europe

Didn't even last 10 years, was conquered in 1936 and liberated and independent again by the start of 1941

It was mostly scrambled together from left over places the other countries weren't to interested in like Somalia and they acquired Libya from a war with the Ottomans. Overall kinda lacklustre, besides a possible role in the Ethiopia-Eritrea conflict it wasn't to impactful.

While they doubtless treated the Africans as second-class citizens, it still seems to have been better than local rule.

Libya was an absolute shit-hole between the time that the Italians left and Gaddafi took over (I'm not sure what he did right).

Thus I'm tempted to say Italian colonialism was relatively benign.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faccetta_Nera

>The hymn is said to have been inspired by a beautiful young Abyssinian girl, who was found by the Italian troops at the beginning of the Italian invasion of Ethiopia.

>Faccetta Nera talks about how the black girl will be taken back to Rome and offered a new life, free from the bonds of slavery. There, the song's narrator explain that she will be introduced to new laws and rulers.

>During the invasion the song was hugely popular in Italy and caused national fervor. The implicitly erotic song was, however, somewhat of an embarrassment for the Fascist government, which had, starting in May 1936, introduced several laws prohibiting cohabitation and marriage between Italians and native people of the Italian colonial empire. These efforts culminated in the Italian Racial Laws of 1938. The Fascist authorities considered banning the song, and removed all picture postcards depicting Abyssinian women from Roman shop windows

>You'll never be an Italian soldier knee deep in Abyssinian pussy getting the locals to do lewd acts for a trip to Rome

Why live?

Lol no.

>it still seems to have been better than local rule.

That's because no one really knows the history of Italian colonization besides people interested in it So no one really knows anything about what nasty shit Italy did and people gloss over it.

Fucking fascists reeeee. We could have fucked so many hot East African women if not for them. The result is often good as fuck too. They're the only good looking Sub-Saharan Africans.

I don't condone colonialism but I wish Denmark sold Italy Nicobar islands and the Andamese Islands.

How neat would that have been you know?

>You'll never be an Italian soldier knee deep in Abyssinian pussy getting the locals to do lewd acts for a trip to Rome
>Why live?

Dude you can still go to Ethiopia lol. Like 90 million people live there and it's one of the better/most stable countries in Africa.

>They're the only good looking Sub-Saharan Africans.

Not at all. Lie that woman you posted doesn't even have a good face.

Nigga you gay.

Also, despite the surname, she's apparently a mix of Ligurian and Ethiopian. She ended up looking like an Egyptian goddess. Really makes you think.

She's not that pretty. the entire basis of peope thinking Horners are hot is because they have "white features" or are whites dipped in Chcolaote to quote what Iman was told by Essence magazine which is a heavy backhanded compliment. They don't even look that exceptional.

Dude every race/culture/region will have a spread of people ranging from ugly to attractive. Arguing over which group has the hottest women is like middle school-tier. There are attractive women everywhere...

Well, if the women distracted the soldiers enough to write a fucking poem about it... Somehow I don't see this happening in somewhere like Congo or Nigeria.

Because soldiers are horny as fuck and stuck in all male environments of course they'd fuck the first poon they see.

But I'm not saying they are the hottest just that they are overhyped. The Scandinavians of Africa so to speak

No one said they were hot, just more attractive on average than blacks per western beauty standards.

Trying to quantify "average attractiveness" among different races/groups doesn't work though. You can have personal preferences, but with the exception of a few outliers found everywhere most humans are by definition "average" looking.

There was plenty of race-mixing going on between Italian colonisers and locals. In a census taken in Italian Eritrea (the first of the Italian East African colonies) in 1933, 500 out of the 4,000 inhabitants were Italian-Eritrean. There was a practice known as "madamato" in which local women engaged in a sort of concubinage with Italian men (since the vast majority of the settlers were unmarried men) and often having children with them. If the children were "recognised" by their father, then they would become an Italian citizen. Some laws were passed in 1933 to slightly restrict this, but it didn't unduly concern the regime until the race laws of 1936 suddenly appear. The race laws are interesting in themselves, because they appear to stem from Mussolini being politically opportunistic and moving ideologically closer to Germany as a means of being stronger allies, especially since the invasion of Ethiopia had isolated Italy politically. Mussolini espoused so many contradictory views on race that it's difficult to figure out what his actual opinion was. But once the laws had been adopted, it did become quite hard-line (and you've got stuff like La Difesa della Razza being published to justify the whole endeavour, in which Evola played a key part)

The general stance prior to this seems to have been that it's fine to bang local women so long as it's a purely physical thing, but if you want a sentimental relationship, then it should be with an Italian woman. Up until the race laws, it was not uncommon for the line to become blurred, but it wasn't really a pressing issue in fascist Italy until the end of the Ethiopian campaign.

It was an issue because it was letting the Africans have a way to obtain citizenship in a way. You are NEVER suppsoed to enable your African colony natives a way to get citizenship because you are gonna kill yourself overtime basically in the longrun. You either deny it or make it such that it's pretty much unobtainable that the numbers of citizenship holding or "accepted" natives are a drop in the ocean.

Also in hindsight a FUCKTON of degeneracy. I'm talking about pedophilia or "16 in europe is 12 in Africa" or "There are no girls. Just women" or the Italian male being cucked into a subservient role as being the complete bitch of the Ethiopian/Libyan woman as a "insabbiatto" .

>I'm talking about pedophilia or "16 in europe is 12 in Africa"

It's 14 and 15 in most of it.

>or the Italian male being cucked into a subservient role as being the complete bitch of the Ethiopian/Libyan woman as a "insabbiatto" .

No way this happened to any significant extant. Italy has one of the most patriarchal culture in Europe.

Hmm, now that I researched a bit about this "insabiatti" thing it doesn't seem to have much to do with what you've said. They were dudes who got stuck in Ethiopia/East Africa at the time because of the illegal status of the relationships.