Classics/Clasical Languages General?

I don't think I've ever seen one here, but I was thinking that a classical languages general would be pretty neat to have.

I think it'd be cool to have a thread for anons studying classics and/or classical languages or for anons interested in it in general to have a thread to congregate towards.

The language scope would focus primarily on Greek, both attic and koine, and Latin, from early antiquity to later church Latin and others. Further, original historical documents can be analyzed and discussed to keep with the topic of the board.

I don't really have an OP typed up for this cause I don't know if anybody is interested in this or not. Hopefully people are and links to resources can be posted along the way.

Other urls found in this thread:

thelatinlibrary.com/
gutenberg.org/
lexicity.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=61Kk7VkoWbc
users.telenet.
logicmuseum
la.wikipedia.
4chanint.wikia.
ryanfb.github.
geoffreysteadman.
youtube.
pastebin.com/AwUSWQ1U
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_antiquity
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ehvAf3KZH_bV4rYI9v0qZ95-098iZ_pAMWLKUjt8gc/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Here's one link that I found to be pretty neat.

thelatinlibrary.com/
>Latin sources of various orators and historians

Also can't forget about the Gutenberg library.
gutenberg.org/

You know, that image should be stale, dated and unfunny by now, and yet I like it.

Thanks for the bump at least.

Took 2 years of Latin. Seems like it'd be nice, but it's been almost a year since I've been in a Latin class. Glad to have taken the course since it's really helped me understand other languages.

Yeah, I'm learning Latin on my own since my Uni doesn't offer it as a language, nor does it have a Classics program (to my knowledge at least, I might double check that).

I just hope more people like this idea cause I really like it and think it could be a good addition to this board.

hi
lexicity.com/

Classical language education is currently at trash tier levels. Students spend several years learning about grammar and never actually learning the language. They get tricked into thinking that they are actually doing something productive when they slowly translate texts into english based on their knowledge of grammar instead of just learning the language and then reading the text directly. Compare a fourth year German student to a fourth year Latin student. The German student will be more than proficient enough to read a novel in a week or two, and then go and discuss it in German with his teacher. The Latin student will spend a hour/page slowly but surely translating into English (which will have many errors) so he can read it and then will go and complain how difficult it is - in English.
This video summmarises the (current) best method to learn latin (but doesn't mention the huge amount of graded readers out there - search 'vivarium novum libri scholastici' for a lot).

The situation with Greek is broadly similar, but there has been something of a renaissance in koine greek, which now has a growing living method community (buth's living method and christophe rico's polis being the leaders). This is likely due to the similarities between modern greek and koine.

>latine scribere conor
>autocorrect convertit vocabula Latina in Hispanica

Cur vivere?

The SPQR app is absolutely wonderful for anyone studying Latin. It has whole books in Latin too.

You should always learn words before focusing on grammar with any language.

Non vocabula, sed sententiae sunt quod primum discimus in studio novae linguae.

Exempli gratia, pueri qui linguam anglicam studiunt, discunt dicere "how are you?", nescientes quid significent "how", "are" et "you".

This would be great. I'm currently in the process of getting a Classics degree (focusing on Roman History), and I'd be down.

Neat, so I see that there is some interest in this thread.

I'll draft up a kind of prelim OP with resources I have at hand, and it can be added to or things removed as the thread goes on.

fucking spam filter.

This is the OP btw.

I'd be down, desu.

Mei amo pro Latina est optime apud aliquae.

Tu posset vides "Ego non sum bene" dicem Latina.

Ego necessitudo ops.

Quid scribere conatus es? Verba tua nimis confusa sunt.

Some links that may be of interest:
>Spinoza works in Latin
users.telenet. be/rwmeijer/spinoza/works.htm?lang=E
>Some Latin works on logic
logicmuseum .com/wiki/Main_Page
>Latin Wikipedia
la.wikipedia. org/wiki/Vicipaedia:Pagina_prima

does anyone know any good audio resources like michel thomas' stuff?

I can't find anything and I like learning in the car

Censeo eum conatum esse dicere:

"Amor meus erga linguam latinam maximus est. Sed, ut videre potes, latinitas mea non est bona".

Sic. Ego sum semper confuso in Latinae.

Sic, sic. Tu habes optime sapientiae.

Qui hoc legebat sallustum? Ego legiantus eum nam

moriemini is plural FailFish I can't believe you fans are so ignorant, believe me if Veeky Forums saw this he would be disappointed

>using twitch emotes on Veeky Forums

newfag spotted

I've read Bellum Catilinae. Also are you sure legiantus is a word?

newfag? do you even know the first thing about Veeky Forums? I thought not. i've been here since before the site was invented

>all those latin fags
Learn Greek first

Fuck, meant legens. Crossfaded rn sorry latin bros

Let's try to keep this thread alive. I'd really like it if this took off regularly.

εγωγε εkεινας δυο γλωσσας οιδα, αλλα ελλενιkη εστι χαλεποτερα.

May anyone find the original text of "Zosimus. New history"?

Latin gives a more immediate reward, IMHO, but maybe that's just because I've been a Romaboo since I was a small child.

I do agree that one should learn Greek, too, though.

Bane?

>Inflected languages

As an Anglo, it's amazing that anyone could have known all these rules natively

I think we should follow 's idea.
Dump resources you know here, so we can organise everything later and make a pastebin. Already made lists/guides are welcome too, like:
4chanint.wikia. com/wiki/Classical_Latin

Cambridge Latin course is still the best

>anglo
Unless you're a burger you have no excuse, we have a long tradition of being fluent in Latin until the working class ruined academia

If you use them constantly, then they become second nature.

Think about the past tenses of strong English verbs: they come naturally to us, without even thinking, whereas they're a huge pain in the arse for foreigners.

Latin is miles easier than Greek. They teach Latin here to 3 year olds now (England); Greek is arguably more difficult.

Still nothing compared to the shitshow that is Sanskrit, however.

As for me, I've dumped: Other resources:
ryanfb.github. io/loebolus/
geoffreysteadman. com/
youtube. com/user/sargewam/
youtube. com/channel/UCfkuxclgDXKNTu8g-8sRJMQ
youtube. com/user/evan1965/
youtube. com/channel/UCxS3m8PITAWuADD9Nic1YOg

That is nothing.

Look at a Greek verb.

Where are the spiriti?

This is great. If you could put descriptions as to what each link is or covers like you did here , that'd be great.

It would help me to organize better for the OP.

HOW DO I LEARN TO TRILL BOYS

I feel like I can't relax my tongue enough to do it properly. It's been a couple weeks and I feel like I haven't improved. How long did it take you guys?
I speak Midwestern english btw so rolling R's is very strange to me

I'm organising resources with descriptions in some notes, when I am done I will dump the lists here.

Practise.

Try making a silly, flapping noise with the tongue. Then slowly shorten it, then try to incorporate it into words.

Where should my tongue be? A little bit behind my top row teeth?

Its the old public school tradition more than anything else. Latin and Greek have always been taught by rote and so they are now. Cant see any logic behind it other than its hard to practice the language casually.

Any other Sanskritists here?

Dude nice thanks

How long did that take you to learn my dude

Yeah. I think they call it the 'alveodental ridge'. The tongue flaps on and off that surface.

Me. For my sins.

The Greek babbies in this thread have no idea.

Not him. But I've been learning it for about 5 years, and I'm still utterly shit.

Gratias. I guess I just need to practice more

Yeah it looked like some crazy shit

I think it will take quite a while to render it all neat and organised, with proper descriptions. The thread will probably be 404'd the moment I finish it. If that happen to be the case, I will post on the CLG thread that will be alive the moment I finish the work, or I will make one myself.

What ancient author has the best Latin?
Is it Cicero?

Well I'll make sure to keep the thread alive then. Thanks.

If repeating digits I will learn mandarin

Are Latin and Greek languages one can learn on their own?

Through lurking/talking to people i get the general sense someone needs at least some direction initially.

Great thread so far.

"Χαλεπά τά kαλά"

Im currently using Michel Thomas to learn Japanese and I gotta say Im really enjoying it. Comfy as fuck.

Lingua Latina: familia romana

I don't think anyone here as enough knowledge to answer that. We know, though, that Cicero is always referred as an example of pure and stylish classic Latin.

Yes, but Cicero is boring as fuck to read. I'd suggest Petronius and Virgilius if you're looking for good comfy "novels", Catullus and Martialis for funny witty epigrammata and Lucretius, Plinius and Isidorus if you are interested in encyclopedias and how the latins view the world.

Seneca is not that entertaining, but he’s very easy to read.

I've not put descriptions on everything, only titles, but here is the list:
pastebin.com/AwUSWQ1U
I'm accepting suggestions of resources and of ways of organising the content.

But just from reading translations I can tell that Cicero was a very effective speaker and rhetorician, plus a lot of the politics is very interesting

This is fantastic, user. So many resources here. So what I'm essentially wanting to do then, is to find and pick the most important/immediately useful resources and include them directly in the OP. All others will be linked through the pastebin.

Something like a beginners course or an intro book for newcomers, and the more advanced stuff can remain in the pastebin for those who know what they need or are looking for.
In any case, we can continue to work on it over time, and hopefully more Greek stuff (and maybe even other ancient languages too) can be added by those more knowledgeable.

Yes, I think it is important to be selective in the OP. The downside of listing too many resources is that someone who wants to learn may feel lost among so much alternatives.
I think the essentials would be:
>Lingua latina per se illustrata
>Some grammar (I studied one in my native language, I don't know the English ones very well)
>The Latin Library
>Forum Romanum
>Perseus Project
>Wiktionary
>Perseus Word Study Tool

I would add Companion to Familia Romana for the Lingua Latina. It's an invaluable addition to Lingua Latina and really helps to better understand it so you're not kind of clawing through the dark.

what is it called?

Companion to Familia Romana.

Oh lmao. Thanks.

Thanks, I added it to the list.

bump

How long does it take to get good at latin?

To get good at simple texts, 10 000 sentences.
To get good at literature, 100 000 sentences or 200 000.
To get fluency, 1 000 000 sentences.

Source:

Note, it's about actually reading, not just "translating" by checking word by word, as if the text were just a puzzle.

This happened to me. Spent 5 years taking Latin (4 high school, 1 college). All grammar all the time. Still needed a dictionary for everything since we spent no time on vocabulary, just knowing the grammar. Which was okay at the time but defeats that how purpose of "Learn Latin to learn base words for English" (Wasn't my goal but still).

I want to get back into on my own now. I haven't touched Latin in some time but it was fun to read.

Could we also suggest some works written in the original language based on their difficulty? Its for those done with say, Lingua Latina or Polis, and want to improve their skills. Also, audio resource links would be appreciated.

So, it would be like:
>Easy
W author
>Medium
X author
>Hard
Y auhor
>Professional
Z author

etc.

Suggestion on a Greek textbook: Greek Ollendorff by Kendrick. Its an old Greek textbook thats free on archive.org. Also, the textkit forum (add it to the sticky) has free audio recordings of it by non-professionals.

Maybe, but that could only be done by someone who knows well those authors. I could not do it as I'm not very knowledgeable on the difficulty of different classical works, indeed I'm a beginner myself.
But I think in the easy part we could place philosophers and theologians, who usually have a more direct and simple style.

Sanskrit is good

>Classical Languages
>Ignore all of the non-European classical languages

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_antiquity

keep alive bump

I've heard of more universal uses of "classical". For example "Classical Chinese Thought".

Well, I think it would be better if we just focus on Greek and Latin, and then civilisations that influenced the Mediterranean ones, like Egypt, Chaldea, and India.

>Tu es magnus homo
every time

If you guys want I can make a google spreadsheet to manage the resources you guys want included and make it into a pastebin. Need ideas for names, resources, etc. docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ehvAf3KZH_bV4rYI9v0qZ95-098iZ_pAMWLKUjt8gc/edit#gid=0

I've made a pastebin for Latin:

nice. didn't see. If I can suggest something, try putting Cambridge's latin course on there. I thought it was really helpful and the books can be accessed online for free. It's a good academic understanding of latin imo

The course is already in the "Grammars and courses" section.
Anyway, we need Greekaboos to help with Greek resources.

Ok, suit yourself

Classicism is a roman-Greco thing and classic anything in history usually refers to Latin. I'm not opposed to other languages, but it'd make sense if we went with Roman-Greco things.

That's what happens when you grow up with a language, it'll just come naturally to you. How often do you have to think about whether you should use 'am' vs. 'is' vs. 'are'?

Too many latinfags. With greek you can read early philosophy and literature as it was made.

If we should include any ancient language, I think it would be better to rename it to Ancient Languages General. But an ALG would be cool and interesting, maybe it would have more posters than CLG.

OP here. This is a very malleable topic. It doesn't have to be a rigid "Latin + Greek" exclusive thread. It can be modified to Ancient & Classical Languages general, or /ACLG/. The primary focus would just be on Greek and Latin sources since that's what most of our sources are in.

But of course, if that's going to be successful, resources are going to be needed and people who know what they're talking about as well.

We have a paste bin, but the problem is we only really have Latin fags, we have no idea where to begin with the other languages so that's why I thought making it just Latin-Greek (and possibly classic based languages depending on loose we are with what is meant by "classic". And if we go Ancient, what do we include?

Right, I understand that. That's why I said the "primary focus would just be on Greek and Latin sources", and that we need people who know their shit for that "Ancient" part to be successful.

For now, it can be left as just /CLG/, but if things pick up, and other languages reach comparable levels of discussion, surely it can be modified.