We've all seen this stupid chart...

We've all seen this stupid chart. Did Christianity hinder the development of philosophy by limiting it to mostly discussing theological subjects?

If yes, then why didn't religion affect philosophy in the same way before then, given that past societies were also very interested in religion?

If no, then why do people study ancient and modern philosophy so much more than medieval philosophy, if those contributions are of equal importance?

How is scientific advancement even measured according to this chart? Without first establishing that it is essentially arbitrary and meaningless.

it's a bullshit chart that has been around for years and has become a meme in itself because of how bad it is

I thought it was pretty cut and dried that the Dark Ages were largely caused by the fall of the Roman empire. Religious extremism is almost always a reaction to some cataclysmic event not the cause. People don't study medieval philosophy as much because the contributions aren't of equal importance because they ARE excessively tainted by superstition but that doesn't mean Christianity as a religion (which existed long before the Dark Ages started, which is even indicate by that stupid meme graph) caused the Dark Ages

>If no, then why do people study ancient and modern philosophy so much more than medieval philosophy, if those contributions are of equal importance?

Blame the Renaissance and early modern philosophers who gave it a bad name. And medieval philosophers generally wrote technical works that are harder to follow than Plato's dialogues or even Aristotle.

what about asia?

Catholic monasteries during Late Antiquity after the fall of Rome were the only places in Europe conserving Ancient Greek and Roman documents of significant importance in their libraries, studying them and so forth. We can thank Benedictines for much of our knowledge of the personalities of ancient Greece and the history of Rome.

Someone post the real one. With the finno-korean war.

>technical works that are harder to follow than Plato's dialogues or even Aristotle

Just because they're more challenging doesn't mean they're more intelligible.
I'd also like to see you name a of these "technical works" and tell me why they're important.

>tfw I've realised at least 50% of posts like this are completely ironic

yes please

Wasn't Christianity that caused it, like other user have said it was the fall of the roman empire.

After the fall there was a large influx of pagans to the land, which perturbed the Christian residents, so many moved to Ireland beyond where the Empire had ever reached. And guess what, Ireland didn't fall into a dark age, it actually caused the Irish golden age (look it up) of art and literacy, because the monastics were the only people in Europe who were preserving and passing these things on.

I'll take the Migration Period for $500, Alex.

We know a helluva lot more than the Victorians did. There was nothing 'dark' about it.

>"the dark ages" meme

If you factor in economic inventions, mechanical vs. human labor ratio and technological advances the medieval folks were ahead of the Romans by the High Middle Ages.

By the 12th century pretty much every important greek and roman text plus additional arab work was available in Europe.

>mfw when another thread on the finno-korean hyperwar turns up instead of a thread on the objectively more interesting Phaetan reconquest of the Dindu plateau.

Why is Veeky Forums so full of plebs with pleb tastes?

>Ireland didn't fall into a dark age,
Yes, Ireland had the bog age,and is still in it.

stop autistically modifying these, they're still wrong

They're not quite as retarded at least

I got u

This one still is:
Barbarian "invasions" are largely a meme created by butthurt french in their attempt to associate germans to barbarism in the 19th century.

t. hans

>invite them in
>name their leaders Rex
>waaah muh barbarian invasions

>according to this chart we just lost all the technology rome had
this graph was, is, and always will be a fucking meme

What about the greek dark ages

Elaborate

>there are people who think the early middle ages were as advance as ancient Rome

>muh gunpowder
no

Did the war really last ~3000 years? That's crazy.

You can't just dismiss a revolutionary technology by saying "muh,' not without looking retarded, at least.

>perspective in drawing
>concrete
>home sanitations
>acqueducts
>taylorism (I can't remember the name of the structure they built to make bread, it was on the History Channel's Top 10 "Rome’s Greatest Hits " but I can't find a complete synopsis or a stream)

Religion and Christianity in particular didn't play a direct role in the dark ages, the cause of Rome's fall is always multifaceted and the "dark ages" is the result of the collapse of the educational system along with the Western Empire's government and infrastructure.

Reason why I'll claim that Christianity played little part is because most of the greatest works of engineering and art from the middle ages was directly inspired by Christianity in the pursuit to glorify what people had faith in.

The Gothic Cathedrals involved an advanced understanding of math and physics in order to displace the weight of the massive structures, with grand basilicas rising from European cities as early as the 530's. And with middle ages Europe founding the first universities as centers of knowledge and education by the 1000's.

If religion did play a direct role in the fall of Rome, why did the fully Christianized Eastern Roman Empire continue on business as usual while its Western counterpart collapse? with the Eastern Empire even going as far as to recapture Italy, North Africa, and Southern Spain while continuing to advance in engineering and architecture.

The loss of knowledge in Western Europe is attributed to the failure of Western Rome's education system as a part of the greater collapse of government, not because some new religion suddenly shunned and expressed hostility towards higher learning, to the opposite, the Church sought out great minds to help build the great cathedrals that dot France and Germany, with the only time the Church expressed hostility towards new discoveries was when it directly conflicted with the Church's political or economic interests, much like any government would oppose new ideas that directly oppose the system in place.

tl;dr: higher learning wasn't restrained by religion, in fact it was sought after by the church when it benefited them, and opposed it when new ideas and discoveries weakened the political power of the Church.