Give me one good reason why prohibition wasn't a good thing

Give me one good reason why prohibition wasn't a good thing

>pro tip: you can't

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1470475/
nytimes.com/1989/10/16/opinion/actually-prohibition-was-a-success.html
nber.org/papers/w9681.pdf?new_window=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_views_on_alcohol#Prohibitionism
oll.libertyfund.org/pages/1776-hutchinson-strictures-upon-the-declaration-of-independence
youtube.com/watch?v=wJUXLqNHCaI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Increased crime rate

What makes Alcohol as or more degenerate than smoking tobacco or weed?

1. Destroyed an industry that produced a lot of taxes and gave labor to a lot of people, thus creating hobos that could start a revolution for lack of jobs.
2. Destroyed the working man's means of handling his pathetic life via means of self intoxication, thus not planning revolutions to change it.
3. Made it very obvious that the state enforces the individual to live this or that way, igniting a passion in many thinkers to start a revolution to change that.

Basically its a big wonder why americans didn't take up arms against the government at that point.

It's wasted effort.

tobacco doesn't change your state of mind and make you act like a barbarian

Pot doesn't kill you.

Prohibition was a scheme to disarm working class Americans under the pretense of "stopping AL CAPPOONNNEEE!". Abolish the NFA.

The first Whig was the Devil.

Muslim plot for backdoor Sharia.

It didn't work

What they didn't tell you about those 13 years:

* Prisons and mental institutions emptied
* Cirrhosis of the liver was reduced by half
* It was the last time America balanced the budget
* In some states, illiteracy dropped from 49% to 2%

And now a Harvard University study has found that women who drink just one glass of wine a day increase their cancer risk by 123%

Did Prohibition Really Work? Alcohol Prohibition as a Public Health Innovation
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1470475/

Actually, Prohibition Was a Success
nytimes.com/1989/10/16/opinion/actually-prohibition-was-a-success.html

Alcohol Prohibition and Cirrhosis
nber.org/papers/w9681.pdf?new_window=1

>drinking wine everyday
>not keeping it special for the weekend
This is what lead to the culture of polyamory

me down below

>* Prisons and mental institutions emptied

so then it's the opposite of the drug war today, what with mass incarceration and shunting the meek and humble into "weed rehab."

Besides, it's literally impossible to enforce prohibition on a majority populace that genuinely believes their Savior brewed alcohol himself.

you're talking about he wedding at Cana I presume

naturally, it's one of the luminous mysteries

People were too pathetic to give it up so autistic gangsters popped up and took advantage of the obvious black market potential, thereby increasing the crime rate enough that the entire enterprise was hopeless.

Prohibition only works if law enforcement aren't pussies and start mowing down degenerates.

Alcohol consumption is a defining aspect of Christian societies, especially when those societies live alongside muslims which do indeed forbid spirits. A Christian who abstains from alcohol is thought to have converted to Islam.

I've never heard that, if you abstain from alcohol I just think you're a seventh day adventist, some kind of quaker, or that "christian" sect the Mormons

Was prohibition a nietzschean policy?

That's the most retarded statement i've read in a while.

wasn't a major part of the prohibition to do with some protestant social experiement movement

Whenever there's four Catholics
There's a fifth

Destroyed an industry prompting people who had been knocked out of a job to turn to organized crime because they still had all the skills necessary to makes alcohol and it's not that hard to make in general.

Organized crime led to however many deaths that could have been avoided if people just got down off their high horse and let people live how they wanted

1920 - Women achieve the right to vote and promptly vote to force men to crack down on other me and the institution of alcohol thus causing great social chaos and needless deaths.

The beginning of the chastising Nanny state.

And a lesson to us all. Women have no problems using men to brutalize other men men to appease their sense of right and wrong in drastic ways.

>mfw we've had a weed prohibition for like 100 years

George Washington grew weed and that's still illegal.

The Declaration and Constitutions make much more sense when you realize they were all high as shit.

Kekd

fuck potheads

No they don't.

Logically speaking, in order for you to test the case first requires realization that they were indeed, high as fuck. Hanged, drawn, and quartered.

nobody is remotely talking about that dude

go back to pol

We are discussing the Bible. Please start a new thread if you want to continue your ignorance of the Word of the Lord.

Did someone say Bible thread?

What does the bible say about downing half a bottle of vodka in the morning just to stop your hands from shaking?

All the scum congregate in bars in your nice white northern neighborhood. Banning liquor will surely put a stop to that.

Liquor was a fancy new thing that's 4 times a potent as the next strongest beverage and binge drinking and violence was and is a major issue because people have no control.

>All the scum are sequestered into dark areas you never have to visit if you don't want to
>I KNOW, LET'S MAKE THOSE AREAS ILLEGAL SO THEY COME OUT INTO GENERAL SOCIETY AND EVERYONE HAS TO SUFFER NOW

i don't understand this lack of logic. it's like saying banning Veeky Forums will make the world a better place because all the freaks, communists and stormfags congregate here. No you moron, the fact that they're here and not shitposting IRL is a good thing!

New International Version
Let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.

In theory, if you could stop people from drinking alcohol, it'd work out fine. In practice... I don't think I have to explain it, people are gonna get their booze anyway.

Communists? On my Veeky Forums?

Increased crime rate, reduced tax revenue, reduced personal liberty, effectively outlawed previously entirely legitimate bussiness's, it's repealation calls the whole point of the consitution being a form of completely entrenched laws into question, and finally was based on paternalistic beliefs that the poor plebs would never realize that alchohol hurt them, so big daddy govt had to restrict them.
From virtually any political view point other than bible bashing fuckwit it was a horrible idea.

Because people would make alcohol from hair products or some shit, aggravating public health.
Legality provides at least some quality control

Cutting out the alcohol industry means explaining to the angry distillery workers why you destroyed their livelihood at the election booth.

Were you not paying attention to this elections? What happens, pray tell, when you shit all over an industry? Do they vote for you still? No, they don't vote for you still...

I don't think you big govt retards will ever learn. You'll just continue pissing off portions of your electorate until nobody's voting for you.

I forget that sarcasm doesn't work in writing for spergs.

In addition to the massive amount of domestic violence and poverty stemming from alcohol abuse, you had shitskins fleeing the south looking for jobs and an influx of immigrants into midwestern cities. They congregated in neighborhood saloons as a social center where you could make connections and find employment as well as discuss why you were a second class citizen. Whitey didn't like that. It's the same reason coffeehouses were banned.

>Besides, it's literally impossible to enforce prohibition on a majority populace that genuinely believes their Savior brewed alcohol himself.
There are tons of (vegan tier annoying) teetotaler denoms en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_views_on_alcohol#Prohibitionism

I love how everyone says "increased crime rates" yet they're never able to actually prove it. Why would a sober population commit more crime than a drunk population? Makes no sense.

>is shit at sarcasm and nobody laughs
>blames other people instead of himself

niggers and spics were the reason they banned weed, not alcohol. most saloons were segregated esp. in the south.

>Banning liquor will surely put a stop to that
The problem is you.

The paper industry was the reason weed was banned. Prohibition was led by northern states getting the influx of shitskins from the South, italy and ireland. Segregation doesn't stop people from meeting somewhere and that's in part what prohibition was trying to stop, but SJWs are eternally retarded and didn't think it through.

>I'm so autistic I can't use sarcasm properly and I can't handle when people tell me I'm shit and unfunny

temple grandlin get off Veeky Forums

You are so shitter shattered from being blown the fuck out you can't even stay on topic and refute my post. Must be nap-nap time, go get mommy to tuck you in and read you a story about the events leading up to prohibition.

It looks like murder rates had been increasing well prior to prohibition

>americans were always NoFunAllowed
gay tbph.

T.statist cuck

Well if breathing was declared illegal do you think the crime rate would increase

without alcohol you can't drink your problems away

you idiot, temperance was a british meme

>hurrr wut is world war one

Your confirmation bias knows no bounds.

>U MAD U MAD I-I-I-I'm not an autistic child who can't use sarcasm, you're just MAAADD

lyl you have no arguments. prohibition wasn't due to brown people. your pooper is just sore because you can't rage against ELL EESS JAY Ws without looking like the sperg you are

>tobacco doesn't change your state of mind
has never smoked strong (read pipe/not mass produced cigarette) tobacco

They shouldn't have done it. Rotgut was invented as a result.

> that beast on the left

Goddamnit, hand me the fucking bottle.

Show me a peer reviewed article that explicitly proves me wrong, especially considering most literature cites racism as one factor leading to prohibition.

not an argument

They were some pretty radical ideas. Might require thinking outside the box, which being high as fuck definitely encourages.

>What happens, pray tell, when you shit all over an industry? Do they vote for you still?
Judging by the industrial centers of Michigan still voting blue, yes.

I mean they make no fucking sense and have zero logical foundation, so yeah, they were most likely high as fuck.

oll.libertyfund.org/pages/1776-hutchinson-strictures-upon-the-declaration-of-independence

Detroit is a toxic wasteland, not an "industrial center". Most of the industry in Michigan nowadays is in the south (which heavily voted red), or some northern counties (which all voted red).

alcohol literally increases the risk of falling into sin.

>hutchinson
>libertyfund.org

Didn't click! LOL

We got Boardwalk Empire out of it, so I'm okay with this.

all of you are parroting what you've heard through hearsay, which has distorted Prohibition, or are arguing out of some retarded libertarian "lmao420XD" conviction.
Did you not read this user's post??
-Crime DID NOT increase dramatically, but at a regular rate and way less than the crime surge from 1900-1910. It's just that organized crime became more publicized by the press because IT SOLD PAPERS.
-And no the laws were NOT restrictive. The amount of statutes that made Prohibition were quite limited, only prohibiting the sale and commercial manufacturing of alcohol. It DID NOT ban alcohol consumption NOR did it prevent people from brewing their own. And, yet, with so little enforcement in practice, the drop in alcohol consumption, alcohol-related disease and alcohol-induced homicide and other crimes was dramatic and I'd argue a public health success.
-So what if the government lost a bit of revenue? Sales taxes such as a tax on alcohol are regressive taxes that always fall more harshly on the poor. Better to have progressive income taxes that distribute the burden of taxation more fairly. Granted, the end of Prohibition gave the Roosevelt government much needed revenue without resorting to making the legislative effort to actually raise taxes, but for all the revenue and jobs lost from the ban on alcohol, the social benefits of Prohibition imo are GREAT. For a few jobs lost you get a healthier, more disciplined workforce, which means workers have more money in their pocket to buy other consumer items and diminishes that steep cost that has to be paid in healthcare to workers ailing from alcohol-related diseases.

I'd rather have 1000 Al Capones in every city than what's happening today.

prohibiting beer and wine is a crime against humanity

(cont.)
-For those crying "muh nanny state," if should be known that its was only from 1933 onward that the outlines of our current central government was built. Before that, including during the Depression era, the federal government was extremely limited. Almost no citizens would ever come to know the presence of DC in their lifetimes (except the Post Office) until the government relief and work programs of the New Deal. Until that time, America's political power tilted more toward the states' governments.

Why would WW1 increase murder rates?
Also if you actually look at the map it looks like the increase started around 1905

> including during the Depression era
I meant prohibition era* aka the roaring 20's

God damn every single one of those "women" are hideous. Ironically liquor would have been the only way any of them could get a male to touch them.

It makes life dull and monotonous. With no such escape for leisure people become easily irritable and more vindictive. Puritanical measures might be feasible in lone convents but not for a whole nation.

It's only like that in some countries with very large or majority Muslim populations.

>Did you not read this user's post??
I did
And I want sources on points 1 and 4

Created a black market that empowered the Mafia to such a degree where it took over and virtually replaced several local governments (to the point where it, in some instances, became not only the #1 employer and police force, but the #1 welfare provider.)

Said mafia became so powerful that it actually started to have quite a presence even in the Federal Government, and even law and order fanatics like J. Edgar Hoover said that, had prohibition continued, the mafia may have eventually infiltrated the government to the degree where they would have taken over.

Once Prohibition ended, the Mafia's main source of revenue dried up, and they fell apart in short efforts (also thanks largely to fanatics like Hoover.)

Meanwhile, the need to smuggle more potent alcohol in smaller spaces, caused the concentration of spirits went through the roof. While reports of alcoholism declined slightly (due to no one being able to seek treatment), hospital reported alcohol related deaths went up some ten fold.

...and this is pretty much the same pattern you see with addictive drug prohibitions of any sort.

The only thing you really achieve is to take a problem that affects addicts, their loved ones, and maybe a handful of bystanders, and instead create a violent black market that affects everyone, addict or not. When you start testing for drugs on entry level jobs (that you, for instance, otherwise sometimes hire literal retards for), then its a huge slam to the economy in general to boot, in addition to the corruption that a multi-trillion dollar black market creates.

It created a black market that empowered the Mafia to such a degree where it took over and virtually replaced several local governments (to the point where it, in some instances, became not only the #1 employer and police force, but the #1 welfare provider.)
Said mafia became so powerful that it actually started to have quite a presence even in the Federal Government, and even law and order fanatics like J. Edgar Hoover said that, had prohibition continued, the Mafia may have eventually infiltrated said government to such a degree where they would have taken over.

Once Prohibition ended, the Mafia's main source of revenue dried up, and they fell apart in short order (also thanks largely to fanatics like Hoover.)

Meanwhile, the need to smuggle more potent alcohol in smaller spaces, caused the concentration of spirits to go through the roof. While reports of alcoholism declined slightly (due to no one being able to seek treatment), hospital reported alcohol related deaths went up some ten fold.

...and this is pretty much the same pattern you see with addictive drug prohibitions of any sort.

The only thing you really achieve is to take a problem that affects only addicts, their loved ones, and maybe a handful of bystanders, and instead create a violent black market that affects everyone, whether the personally know an addict or not. When you start testing for drugs on entry level jobs (that you, for instance, otherwise sometimes hire literal retards for), then it's a huge slam to the economy in general to boot, as even function addicts can only fund themselves through crime - in addition to the corruption that a multi-trillion dollar black market creates.

neither does alcohol if you aren't retarded

alcohol is the cornerstone of civilization

Booze is the patricians diversion

hoover was in the pockets of the maffia because of his homosexuality and wearing women's clothing (they actually had pictures of him in womens clothes)

Fatherless children

I'm pretty sure that's an ugly man in drag.

He had an odd way of showing it, being largely responsible for fighting them during prohibition and dismantling them afterwards and creating the apparatus that made it all possible. I suspect, if anything, that just egged him on.

He tried to deny their very existence, when he was was dealing with them, but given his letters after their fall, it seems he felt this was the best strategy for curtailing their power, and actually saw them as a mortal threat to the nation's sovereignty.

hey guys, let us turn a minor social problem into a huge international criminal problem.

Life was already dull and monotonous.

I can't honestly.

Indirectly lead to the beginning of the major political elements conspiring to strip us of our gun rights.

This.

Below quote us from another user. It applies to all drugs, alcohol included.

>Drugs, by themselves, are only bad for the addicted individual, their loved ones, and perhaps a few bystanders.
>Make them illegal, and suddenly they are bad for everyone, regardless as to whether they use them, or know anyone that does. In addition to the crime all that generates, and the fact that addicts of even fairly benign drugs can't even get entry level jobs (meaning crime is the ONLY way to pay for their addiction), and the global corruption caused by a trillion dollar black market larger than any single sector of the economy... So, you've basically taken something that's bad in a few isolated cases, and turned it into a global pandemic of crime and mayhem that has created the most frightening and powerful mafias the world has ever seen and toppled whole governments.
>You don't often hear about people being held at gunpoint by someone trying to fund a cigarette or alcohol habit for a reason. Nor do you find folks addicted to legal drugs recycling manhole covers and ripping the copper wiring out of houses just to fund their habit. If we treated all addicts like we do cigarette users and alcoholics, we'd all be a lot better off, whether we used or not.
>So yes, drugs are bad, but making them illegal is magnitudes worse.

>increase their cancer risk

Which cancer? When someone just says "cancer", I can tell they are full of shit.
Protip: behavior that increases risk of some cancers decreases risk of others. Its a very, very wide net to throw.

This seems like it has nothing to do with illegality and more to do with addictiveness.