Irish Famine

Was it genocide?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_uprisings
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes

the british could have helped. they didn't because of religious bigotry.

If you live on an island surrounded by fish and still have a famine, you deserve to starve quite frankly.

Was it caused with intention by the British? If so then yes.

>the only people allowed to have famines are those in landlocked countries

Oh no paddy, we've no potatoes, that we didn't even have until we imported them from southern America, we shall all have to stave instead of eating fish or any other food product

>why don't poor people who grow what they can just start growing better stuff so they don't starve LOL

because the Irish were Catholics you say?

If you live on an agrarian island, and can't feed your family by either fishing, foraging, farming or thieving, you deserve to starve, I'm no survival expert but even with out a supermarket I could still put food on the table

>fishing

need boat, net, time, possible training

>foraging

Yeah millions of fuckers just foraging in Ireland would totally work.

>farming

They did that, and the English took their shit combined with bad harvests/disease.

>thieving

Nothing to steal from other Irish, you die if you steal from the Anglos.

>foraging

Better than fucking starving

>fishing

That simple people who still haven't invented the wheel can do it

Stave more potatonigger

is this bait or do you really think that?

>1st world modern man makes fun of 19th century poor people who were neglected by their government and had bad luck

Really funny and edgy mate.

This is just Anglo logic. Such comments come naturally to them when the words 'Irish' and 'Famine' are out together.

>hurr foraging and fishing lmao

You can't support a multi million population by fucking foraging and not everyone lived at the sea, not to mention that even fishing communities cannot support themselves entirely from fishing.

>claim that the country is struck with "famine"
>potatoniggers still keep exporting food
>hell, the amount of food exported from ireland during the {{{famine}}} was actually higher than it was before it

Whole "famine" was just a ploy by Irish Catholics to get more money out of their British rulers that has been repurposed into a weapon to attack against Brits by IRA and other Irish nationalist organizations.

t. Lindybeige

>>>/britpol/

No, it was awfullying managed and alot of this happened because the British didn't care about the Irish, but it was not a new attempt by the British to destroy th e Irish as a people. I mean the cumulative efforts of all British occupation might be called genocide but the famine itself was not.

No. The attitudes would've been exactly the same (and demonstrably were during other famines) if it had been an English province.

It wasn't the Irish the Bong capitalists had a problem with, it was poor people. Plus ça change.

Oh noes something is starting to kill off our potatoes, let's not plant a new crop, let's just blame the English again like we all ways do, Fuck you potatoniggers, you deserve to starve

I don't agree it was a genocide, but get fucked, you ridiculous little snotty twat.

Cromwell didn't go far enough

>plant only a single breed of potato instead of maintaining genetic variation among the potatoes grown in ireland

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The responses in this thread give a pretty good indication of the >Free Market attitudes that allowed the English to continue exporting food from a starving island with a clear conscience.

Genocide implies that the British state intended to kill those that died in the famine.

They didn't intended to kill the Irish, if they lived or died didn't matter. Neglect but not genocide.

All the big fish where taking from the british and they also destroyed many irish piers.
>muh irish could've just fished meme

>we wuz fishers and sheeit until dem brit whiteys came and stole all the fish

they did the same thing in India

I wish. The Irish are just inept.

Papists promoted pigshit ignorance amongst the Irish, they are to blame.

Had they questioned the claim the pope is god on earth and become Protestant this would prove their intelligence and trustworthiness, they would be given many opportunities, becoming a sailor, working in the booming industrial revolution, joining the redcoats, hard work maybe but starvation would be a remote possibility.

The famine obviously didn't kill every Irish person. Most of those who died were desperately poor peasants trying to scratch out an existence on tiny plots of poor land in the West of Ireland. This class of people was almost completely destroyed by the famine. They had just about been able to survive on the potato before it failed.

The extreme poverty and destitution of the Irish peasant class was a cause of concern in the years before famine actually occurred. The point was that these tenant farmers were unable to improve their circumstances as any improvements made to their land would just mean paying more rent to their English landlord.

The English government of the time took too long to appreciate the seriousness of the famine, and chose to continue exporting Irish food to England. They also clearly didn't like the Irish or the poor very much. The famine lacks the outright murderous intent to be called a genocide, but the British Empire seemed to have made a habit of carelessly allowing millions of people to die.

Yes, fuck the English. Anybody who says otherwise is a fucking scumbag who can't expand the meaning of genocide in one of the few situations it deserves to be. A million people died and the English just watched it happen while actively making the situation worse. Seriously, go fuck yourself if you don't think that's genocide, even if you sympathize with the Irish.

T. James O'Brien who can't even speak Irish

>8 million to 5 million

bdoml

It is pretty hilarious how much in denial potatoniggers are about irish famine.
>live in a country that is suffering famine
>still opt to sell food abroad instead of using it feed your own population
>after that blame brits for your own failures

I don't think so but it goes without saying that the British would have been more inclined to help if Ireland hadn't hosted so many conspiracies against the Brits.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_uprisings
It's the same with Bengal, the Brits definitely didn't engineer the catastrophe, and it's hard to argue they exacerbated it but one can easily accuse them of not attempting to mitigate the human suffering in earnest.

A lot of imperialists saw the victims as racially inferior and mutinous, generally as a problem population so would have looked at the devastation almost gleefully, seeing a poetic justice, and their prejudices legitimized.

desu I'd be kind of relieved if some disaster struck a people who probably loathe me, and even if they didn't, a lot of people (especially wealthy whites) feel a sense of existential anxiety when they look at demographic changes - it was the same then.

Wealthy industrialized country could leverage their influence and wealth to eviscerate hunger, thirst and high child mortality rates all over the world but they don't, they offer peace-meal aid - and I don't think this is entirely out of apathy.

It's why a lot of people are secretly relieved when they here a refugee boat has been sunk or Africa's population isn't exploding quite as quickly as we thought it was.

Your right I was completely wrong with my argument

Where's "Hatred for the French"?

yes

>This shitty bait

I know this is bait but
> Implying people can't starve when the state is exporting food
>Implying that some of the worst mass starvations in history haven't been caused by export quotas that are still maintained during times of famine

>opt
Can you stop right there you mongoloid

no

they weren't enslaved either

Where do these myths even come from?

you're looking at the tissues of the Gallicodium Apparatus

>we howl at the Anglophile who loves the queen

It was justice.

Nope, nothing to do with genocide. It happened for a couple of reasons
>massive growth in population
>families living on smaller and smaller plots of land
>over dependence on the potato because it was pretty much the only thing that could be grown in such small area and still have enough to feed a family with
>Several bad years of crops failing due to Blight / gangrene
The Brits just neglected us when it happened. Instead of sending us aid, they built workhouses and made the locals build useless roads and other shit. Those places were full of disease and essentially labour camps once you went in.
Also, although the population fell by about half, IIRC that was more due to immigration than to people dying.
Also worth mentioning this was pretty much the death blow for the Irish language, so many people were immigrating now to the US/AUS/UK where english was the main language so it became more valuable as, realistically, a lot of people in the new generations would have to emmigrate. Its also one of the reasons why they Irish did so well when they did move abroad.

>us

nice try nigel

damn you got me

They executed priests in their own country, why would they help a nation of papists?

>but the British Empire seemed to have made a habit of carelessly allowing millions of people to die.
They did this to India several times. The Bengal famines of 1770 and 1943 especially.

>famine strikes
>take the food
>t-the pope did it
protestants

>opt
Export or die, which would you "opt" for, faggot?

What a ridiculous question, you can only genocide human beings, it was an animal cull.

like if you don't want to starve then why don't you stop exporting your grains

That is true though

>tfw you will never have a sharp cheeked half starved Irish sex slave qt who fucks you for a loaf of bread and a herring. We missed the good times.

It was an inevitability of capitalism

These decisions weren't made by Irish farmers, but large-scale English landowners