Childhood is idolizing the Iron Age

Childhood is idolizing the Iron Age
Adulthood is realizing the Bronze Age is more interesting

I agree only because it's shrouded in mystery, and what we know is so ancient and foreign it's like something out of a fantasy novel. The bronze age was a golden age in Europe. They had an extensive trade system, huge battles were fought that we may never know much about besides a few artifacts, kings rose and fell and no one will ever remember their names. I'd love to take a time machine to that time to experience it.

All I've heard about the Bronze Age makes it sounds like the Conan stories.

Too bad we know relatively little about the Bronze Age in comparison to the Iron Age

tfw when the Bronze Age Collapse happened

it is amazing that so long ago they had massive trade by sea mostly supported and done by phoenicians and greeks.

>you'll never be sucked into your watery oblivion grave by Charybdis

Something about those ice caps receding, land draining, ancient humans moving in. First bud of civilization comes along, clawing base metals out of the bowels of the earth, mixing them to create something new. Alchemist tier.

why don't you just marry the bronze age you damn homo

Most Bronze Age civilizations with the exception of Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, etc didn't write much stuff down so we have little to go by. However, given that when the Romans made contact with the Celtic and Germanic people, they were living in a tribal chiefdoms, it would be safe to assume that Bronze Age Europe was much the same.

What is interesting is finding out whether late Bronze Age legends that ARE based on writings are real. Was the Trojan War real? Was Moses real? Stuff like that interests me.

I keep waiting for someone to pull a Heinrich Schliemann on the Old Testament, and use it to try and find some of the stuff it talks about. Assuming it's all literally true may no longer be a tenable position, but flipping from there to assuming it's all made-up stories doesn't seem to make much sense to me, either. The Hebrew people seemed to consider a lot of it to be historical.

>tfw there were Indo-Aryan proto-Vedics ruling an empire in the M.E. during the bronze age

crazy shit my guy

That's essentially what William Albright attempted.

Pretty much impossible. Old Testament was a mixture of the more hippie-esque priestly writers who talk about the pure spirit God, while common people who were in the shit dealing with the brutal reality of life in the Middle East in antiquity anthropomorphized LORD God, made him not omniscient, having a cruel streak, etc.

The redactors didn't put the common people's folk stories which became large parts of the Old Testament to writing until at least a few centuries after they were made up. Example:

>"Hittites" in the time of Abraham

Most of the stories were etiological too, like Babel being used to described the unfinished ziggurats dotting the landscape, and the tale of Esau and Jacob describing the domination of Israel over Edom, amongst other memes.

So in short, we can't know if it really went down or not. Probably made up, since there are even hints of the old polytheistic Habiru days, like when God says during creation that he has created man in *OUR* image.

Conan is set before the rise of the sons of Arius.

I think the concept of the Trojan war being Hittites and Mycenaens duking it out is real cool.

>there was a Hittite city called Taruisa in the ballpark area of the Sea of Marmara

also heard about some weird meme theory where Moses was tied to Akhenaten somehow, dont know much about that

BRONZE AGE COME BACK!

>tfw I never completed the cow armor set in Diablo II

>you will never be a Sea People shepherd-king with a harem of captured Levantine q.t.s

feelsbad

every historical era before 1920 sucked ass and everyone smelled of shit, sweat and venereal disease all day, all the time.

modernfag get out

Oh look, it's that guy.

Fuck off.

DELET THIS

that's a big brain.

Late Bronze Age is a huge clusterfuck but it is a lot of fun.

>Everybody's brothers are killing one another
>"here i stepped on the necks of the men of Assurayu"
>murder
>pirates
>societal collapse
>mitanmeme

o yes

was it autism

suppiluliuma was such a memer

It resembles our times today. ISIS and Syrian refugees are basically Sea Peoples who were maurading raiders invading but also migrants seeking a new home.

not at all t b h

>Not swallowing the Greek Dark Age pill

Fools, all fools

That is a cool thought

Too bad we won't see large scale excavations in the relevant areas for decades because syria and iraq are barely countries anymore and israel makes archeology always a political thing

Etruscans inventended the ar-

ironage better desu

>The bronze age was a golden age in Europe
Lmao

>a golden age in Europe

If by Europe you mean Greece and Sardinia