As a Georgian

It's my general impression that the American public threw this guy in over his head in their desire for a "Washington Outsider."

What do you guys think?

I'd have to disagree. Being governor of a state both makes you an "insider" and should be good preparation for running the national government.

That's easily a fair point. Maybe I'm just being a typical Georgian, because we fondly remember him for reforming Georgian bureaucracy from 265 agencies into 20.

Say what? Did Georgia have 265 departments?

65 budgeted, 200 unbudgeted.
62 of these agencies were thrown under 3 superagencies.

Holy cow. Good on Carter.

>yfw you realize that it was Carter that did all of the stuff that Reagan is blamed/credited for.

I like the guy well enough but nobody put a gun to his head and made him run. Did he not bill himself as the outsider?

He pissed off the Democratic party by veering too far to the right and by appointing personal friends to cabinet positions instead of the people the party wanted there.

The GOP needed to trash him as hard as possible as a way to come back into US politics after the Nixon administration crashed and burned.

The Arabs crashed the global economy, because Arabs are the enemy of civilized men

Yeah, but I like to believe his line of thought was "I did it good in Georgia, how could I mess it up?"

I just feel like a lot of people give him shit over giving asylum to the Shah.

Carter was an outsider because he wasn't a part of any political elite or political establishment and took many positions neither democrats nor republicans were taking.

Thats exactly why one reason why Trump won the election.
He was the outsider similar to Jimmy Carter.
Americans want someone they feel isn't in the political world to take charge.

That's an interesting point, and the opposite-ness of their characters.

One is a soft-spoken non-traditional(for his time) democrat who's character is defined by the polite southern gentleman.

The other's a loud, out-spoken non-traditional republican who's character is defined by the angry NYC native.

I feel like Carter would have been a great president had he been elected in any decade other than the 70s

Pretty much this. A lot of "Reagan's" successes were either started or sometimes even completed during Carter's term.

You have to consider the times.
After Nixon had his watergate scandal people felt betrayed at what they learned their leader was doing. Jimmy Carter was the right man for the right time that the American people felt they could trust him.

They needed a leader who had strong morals and wanted to do what was seen as the right thing.

He wasn't nearly as "in over his head" as the senile B-movie actor who succeeded him, or the reality television star and beauty pageant owner in the White House now.

Jimmy Carter is the one really responsible for defeating the Soviets.

>deregulation of domestic oil prices. leads to oil glut during later 80s. soviets can no longer make money exporting oil to buy food. economy collapses.

Eisenhower was probably the only president not in over his head. Given that he was Supreme Allied Commander.

Bush Senior was the DCI for a while.

The right man at the wrong time

A lot of what Jimmy Carter did lead to the downfall of the Soviets and the Warsaw Pact. More so than anything that actor from California did.

what the fuck does someone in the Caucasus care or know about US politics?

"Georgia" is also an American state, and Carter was from Georgia.

they also completely lied about him being a nuclear engineer. he took a reactor management course that he never finished and was involved with nautilus for less than a month

ignoring that it was reagans madman tier reinvention of the US military that caused the gommies to go crazy and keep spending 14% of their gdp on military while reagan sought to manipulate oil prices

in hindsight, carter was not that bad

He was a terrible president, but at least he LIKED the country, unlike Obama.