Today, rap is probably the most popular genre of music...

Today, rap is probably the most popular genre of music. Is there any other historical instances of widespread acceptance of lower class culture?

Was there a Roman equivalent of Compton?

Other urls found in this thread:

psychologytoday.com/articles/201207/brainiacs-and-billionaires
youtube.com/watch?v=5l1rdqmWxGU
youtube.com/watch?v=e_xGeZDk3Sw
youtube.com/watch?v=ID63iNLqrFU
youtube.com/watch?v=XAKBo8L2tow
youtube.com/watch?v=DPC9erC5WqU
youtu.be/rHMnsEFeW2M
youtube.com/watch?v=0EEmDClVTi0
youtube.com/watch?v=0R9emM7KBC8
youtube.com/watch?v=fQZ9qDS8RvY
youtube.com/watch?v=VSTGhKsvqkE
youtube.com/watch?v=fFC0xVVyt0I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>rap is the most popular genre of music
Maybe in Niggertown

No white middleclass people trying to seem cool and hip do it, just look at the popularity of casual sex and twerking

>Was there a Roman equivalent of Compton?

Watching state executions.

Which was the least developed of the areas the Romans most heavily colonized, Hispania/Iberia, Gaul, Britain, or North Africa/Levant? I want to say either Britain or Hispania.

>If I wish that it isn't maybe it won't be
Just look at the billboard. American rap is famous even in countries where people don't speak a lot of English.

>Niggertown
Whoa, sure you wanna say that on an anonymous message board, edgelord?

Definetely not, In America it is the most popular, white teens identify themselves with it.
Shit genre-

>American hip-hop, RB, and rap have spready globally to being hugely popular in Central and Southern America
>as well as Western Europe (particularly Italy, France, Germany, and the UK)
>even as far as Asia with Japan and South Korea
Must be fun being delusional.

>colonized
Be careful with that word. Romans didn't really "colonize" much at all, apart from a few towns scattered around the Mediterranean. Their culture was taken up willingly by the locals.

Britain and Dacia were the least developed parts of the Empire. Britannia's Roman period urbanisation was an anomaly and the cities pretty quickly fell into relative irrelevance compared to small market towns in the 4th century AD.

Isnt house bigger at this point?

Clodius did make himself a pleb so I guess there's that.

They specifically developed colonias to expedite retiring soldiers their own land by expanding the Roman population into new territories though.

Yes but they are the exception, not the rule. The word "colonia" does not mean colony in the modern sense in the English language. It's an anachronism. A couple of towns set up for Roman veterans to sit in to police unruly areas and ship off potential bandits away from Italy is not the same as a systematic policy to enforce Romanitas on people. The provincials became Roman all on their own, when the local nobles began to Romanise the people under them did too. It's the same throughout all of human history. People are slaves to fashion.

It is. but I wish RnB was more popular

Hip-Hop is not ONE thing. Hip-Hop has been developing for a long time, and there were always bad and good artists. It seems like /pol/ really likes to generalize things that are made by people with skin darker than theirs.

rap was made by God who is richer than any man

Yeezus is lord

>Isnt house bigger at this point?
No. No it's not.

>/pol/ makes generalizations

Yeah, no shit.

I wasn't too crazy about rap when it hit the scene in the 90s, but the shit that passes for rap these days makes Nas look like a trained fucking classical composer.

casual sex has been a thing for a while and actual "rap" hasn't been hip for a while. it's all about generic pop.

The Columbian Exchange was a mistake.

Is rap still popular, where do you live?

There's always been folk songs since the beginning of time. Most of them rhyme too, so there you have it.

you lads seem to be conflating shit tier pop-"""music"" with rap. there's some pretty good shit out there if your willing to look. Also, so called "niggers Culture" gets a bad rep. There's a lot we can learn from their experiences and the more we divide different parts of our collective experience in arts as well as academia the more we are holding back from bettering society as a whole.
Also, though it shouldn't be important i'm about as conservative in values as they come and i'm not black either. (Asian Muslim)

>saying "nigger" is edgy
We reddit now

What the fuck is with teenagers and their idolatry/hero-worship of rappers? They're just stupid chimps who happen to have been launched into fame by Mr. Goldberg's record label

Muslims were the first rappers with nasheeds and poetry was like freestyling.

>why do people like popular musicians?

Fuck off

Yeah the biggest one ever.

Cooking.

Cooking was originally for those who had little or not enough to cook their own meals. Obviously those who could nearly preferred it. If you had servants and enough money to have one cook for you, It was near shameful was a precious hand of nobility to take part in cooking.

Now... Cooking is an art form. A art form more distinguished if you would. The endless possibilities that forever increases. Sure those with money still have servants, but even more so those with money and higher class also surround themselves with the culture of cooking and take part in the art form.

agree with fedora lord /pol/fag.
If you like pop music you are part of the problem and should kill yourself .

More underground rappers on the other hand indicate patrician taste

People like music they associate with pleasant times in their lives.

Teenagers party, have sex, do drugs, and hang out with friends to hip-hop. Naturally it would cause good feelings by association.

Christianity.

The issue is mostly commercially mass produced pop music that follow a simple formula meant to appeal to the lowest common denominators of humanity: teenage girls. This tends to entice otherwise talented artists in pursuit of profit and ends up being a huge drain on talent.
Just look at the progression of the Chainsmokers from before wje they made decent house music to when they went fully "pop" and now dish out radio hits with the same formula of catchiness.

This , Christinaity literally took over by appealing to the plebshit masses.

I don't know about romans, but La Folia was born from iberian popular music in the late XV century, and later became chamber music during the XVII century.

They don't look stupid to me. They found a way to become millionaires. What do you got to show for your "superior intelligence"?

If you don't think Kanye isn't a good producer, you're blinded by ideology.

kek i never thought of that. Though I don't think muslims would like the comparison

>They don't look stupid to me.
You just need to listen to them for a minute to realise that these are people of below average intelligence.

Pro-tip: the smart people are not the artists but the people behind them. They make most of the money.

>You just need to listen to them for a minute to realise that these are people of below average intelligence.
Lady Gaga has an estimated IQ of at least 135, putting her in the upper 1% for human intelligence, and may be as high as 166, if the rumors are to be believed. At an early age she was identified by the John Hopkins University Center For Talented Youth for being in top 1% of smartest humans, the same talent agency which discovered Mark Zuckerberg and Sergey Brin.

>estimated
>rumors
Not to mention that we were talking about hip hop niggers.

[citation needed]

No shit, but the John Hopkins University Center For Talented Youth won't just select anybody for their summer program.
>Not to mention that we were talking about hip hop niggers.
nice moving goalposts, you got there
>To be sure, many billionaires are in the top 1 percent of brains. Mark Zuckerberg and Sergey Brin were each identified during adolescence by the Center for Talented Youth at Johns Hopkins University, and they attended a summer program there, which means they are in the top percentile of intellectual ability. Bill Gates is in the top 1 percent, as was Steve Jobs. Many high-profile nontechies are as well: Stefani Germanotta, a.k.a. Lady Gaga, was enrolled in the same program as Zuckerberg and Brin.
psychologytoday.com/articles/201207/brainiacs-and-billionaires

>have no rights unless you act roman and hope your kids can be roman citizens one day
>it was all just the latest fad

Nigger there was extreme pressure to become Roman.

>Today, rap is probably the most popular genre of music.
Where? I don't know a single person who listens to rap and maybe encountered a handful in my entire life.

>nice moving goalposts, you got there
Are you retarded you degenerate subhuman? The thread was about hip hop and the post I've replied to literally said:

>What the fuck is with teenagers and their idolatry/hero-worship of rappers?

Celebrity apologist detected.
Assuming any of that it's true it's not just their intelligence but culture and commercial promotion that also drives their success.

In the 50's bop and early rock music was considered outrageous. Then the 60's came along and we all know how much a beacon of purity that was. 70's flew by, the 80's and the cocaine era came. In the 90's it was all about outrageousness and grossness with shows like Ren & Stimpy and Beavis & Butthead. It was the peak of synthetic flavors. Today we've seen a shift from the era of "blue-raspberry" to more natural things. Culture and industry drives all that but today with music at least it seems to be tipping more to the side of society.

>>What the fuck is with teenagers and their idolatry/hero-worship of rappers?
>"rappers"
It's a meme inspired by out of touch nerds who haven't had regular social contact with teenage girls since they graduated high school in 1998 and don't realize how far out of fashion gangsta rap has fallen. Nowadays it's just another genre while "Hip Hop" is a much more nebulous term for rap-inspired pop/electronica which can stand for a broad category of musicians who don't fit the stereotypical mold of a pistol packing thug.

>Celebrity apologist detected.
Not really, sturgeon's law is ironclad. I'm just someone who recognizes that if creativity were really as easy and brainless as the cynics say it is, they'd be the ones raking in millions.

>Assuming any of that it's true it's not just their intelligence but culture and commercial promotion that also drives their success.
The same could be said about any brand.

>Their culture was taken up willingly by the locals.
Except for Judea

Good for you mate, i know loads of them, and everyone who listens to it is a giant fucking retard

how is nigger edgy here?

>OP gives a throwaway example to illustrate his question
>thread is immediately derailed by triggered /pol/tards
>no historical discussion
Can we watch a different episode?

No but some like Mozart specifically based their music off popular or folk music. Papageno's arias were written to appeal to the working class.

Posts like this remind me I share the internet with subhumans. Sometimes I forget, and imagine everyone as fit, smart white pipo like myself. Anyways, fuck off and take your primitive jungle beats back to niggerland.

Lmao there's always one faggot white kid who thinks anybody still cares about classic rock and country music. People moved on. Fuck outta here with that gay shit lmao.

Gangsta rap was never really that mainstream.

Gangster rap is my favorite. That's too bad. So much strength and daring.

Even here on Veeky Forums, it's popular.

Lots of enlightenment in this thread

I think my favorite thing about white supremacists is that they are always degenerate low class white people who have absolutely nothing to offer the world (because they've never worked towards anything in their life)

It's almost as if white supremacy is a convenient way to dismiss any kind of responsibility for your own failure

no house is bigger than its ever been. its still behind rap/hip hop. may overtake rock (if it hasnt already) within a decade. but electronic music is mostly somewhat exclusive and doesnt actively seek to gain fans

>have no rights
That's wrong. Customary law was a thing.

>hope your kids can be roman citizens one day
Well sure. But you don't actually have to act Roman to become a citizen. All you have to do is either be rich and get given it as a recognition of your role as a town curial, or join the army and fight, or for any other of a number of reasons. In antiquity there was no sense of Roman citizenship being exclusive for people of a certain ethnic or national group.

/mu/ is cancer

>widespread acceptance of lower class culture
blues and jazz

Friendly reminder that anglophones can't rap. Their rhymes are poor, their lyrics childish and dreadfully simple, and they don't even bother counting their bars and syllables.
Americans killed rap. They gangsterized the whole genre and trashed the most it had to offer when they replaced well-thought lyrics by the same boring leitmotivs such as "I got money and bitches, lemme gun down snitches"

It stopped being fun when all the rappers started copying eachother, used the chorus as 60% of the track length, gave up trying to convey a message and, used trap instrumentals.

I hope people in a few decades will realize today's rap is the joke of publisher houses, so it never gets into history. When the best rappers are the least promoted and you can hear that mediocre one on the radio up to 5 times a day, i'm afraid we never kept the best of some musical eras.

It really makes you think. The music legends we know of today were not the best of their times, they just were the most famous.

I genuinely like rap though though only 90s and 80s stuff. I've got Sirius XM in my car and I probably listen to the classic hip-hop station more than any other.

>calling random niggers God is healthy and not borderline idolatry

>I'm ignorant about this subject so I'll just bash it with what limited knowledge I have on it

You're a retard, trap music is huge right now and it's nigger gangster shit

>all music is either rap, country, or classic rock
All of it is degenerate, classical music is the only good music

>not liking bottom of the barrel nigger music makes you a white supremacist
Kill yourself, braindead sheep

Americans invented rap. Name ONE (1) non-American rapper

Yeah, John Cage, Stockhausen. Only Patrician stuff.

>you're ignorant xD
Back to school, teenager

Stop thinking about things in terms of /mu/ memes. I play classical piano.

I'm not the one putting "xD"s in a post mocking someone else and calling them a teenager to insult them. There's nothing wrong with being ignorant on a subject.

English:
youtube.com/watch?v=5l1rdqmWxGU

Brazilian:
youtube.com/watch?v=e_xGeZDk3Sw

German:
youtube.com/watch?v=ID63iNLqrFU

Turkish:
youtube.com/watch?v=XAKBo8L2tow

>complains about memes after shitting memes
ok w/e

>All of it is degenerate, classical music is the only good music
I bet you're a blast at parties

Jazz?

youtu.be/rHMnsEFeW2M

It's Recife. Recif-E.

Korean

underwater SQUADmind 형님 ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

>widespread acceptance of lower class culture?
The lower class has always been the majority of a population. Therefore, their culture is always given widespread acceptance.

>French
youtube.com/watch?v=0EEmDClVTi0
>Angola
youtube.com/watch?v=0R9emM7KBC8
>Portugal
youtube.com/watch?v=fQZ9qDS8RvY
youtube.com/watch?v=VSTGhKsvqkE
>Dutch
youtube.com/watch?v=fFC0xVVyt0I

>we was branded

Jesus learn grammer Kanye at least

Jazz music was nigger dope-fiend music till Bing Crosby made it cool.
Rock'n'roll was nigger music till Elvis made it cool.
Disco was faggot music till John Travolta made it cool.
Techno wasn't music till Kraftwerk made it cool.

>Asian Muslim
Just say Paki

Christianity

OR maybe the most popular music is "POP" music, Cuz, it's popular? There are many no rap stations, so nice try.

Where did the dudes from Mozambique and Madagascar go?

I never thought about it, but yourlet are so correct. G00P with her $2000 smoothies and activated almonds fits this to a t.

POP is fine. People who only listen to pop however...

Depends. I don't know how it is in other countries but rock is essentially a dead genre in the United States. Never really evolved beyond the Distrubed, Five Finger Death Punch, etc. post-grunge garbage and has utterly stagnated. Rock radio could've jumped on the indie rock train around the time you had bands like Modest Mouse and Franz Ferdinand getting big but kept playing the same garbage and that indie rock evolved into breathy-voiced homos with beards and bow ties playing their ukuleles.

Don't really know what can save rock at this point outside of maybe a band from another country that just plays good straightforward rock music and manages to catch on.

Look at Roman plays. They're usually about a clever slave outwitting his master.

And she's the rarity who dumber down her music to performance art. Now examine the iq of the rest of the top 20...

Fuck the Polis
Coming straight from Macedonia
Taking Persia, the Levant, and Assyria
To the ends of the world and the Great Outer Sea
Proskynesis got your girl on her knees
F-f-f-f-fuck the polis

do you think he pronounces it "WE WUZ"?

I've probably listened to more hip hop than you. It's all awful.