What was the 15th century equivalent of the food service industry...

What was the 15th century equivalent of the food service industry? What would be the stereotypical dead end job of a young adult for a commoner? One who is not part of a farm; one living in a very large town or proper city.

Other urls found in this thread:

cdalebrittain.blogspot.com/2015/10/social-mobility-in-middle-ages.html?m=1
svincent.com/MagicJar/Economics/MedievalOccupations.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Prostitution

>Poor little serf boy

>""""poor""" serf boy

Begging, petty crime or , that sort of thing.

Probably an illiterate day laborer/coolie type guy.

>begging and being a thief is equivalent to working in the food industry
Worst post I've ever seen.

Night soil collector

The purpose of OPs question was dead end jobs, he was just giving the impression of McDonald's work, Or is your reading comprehension that limited?

Being a thief or begger isn't a job you twit.

In a gang it is, not to mention watchmen have to be paid for something...

you're not even wrong.

It's not inaccurate, but it's also not a job.

where would such a peasant sleep if they did not have their own home? A field hand may shack up on the land he tends, but what about somebody who just shovels shit and digs ditches, along with other such grunt-work?

Not that guy but I was in a thieves gang for a little over a year.

It was actually the funnest time of my life to be honest. We would all get together at the end of every day and divide up spoils and eat together.

Everything from simple shoplifting and mail theft to industrial break-ins and construction theft.

And we absolutely used panhandling to scope out locations while getting paid to do it.

No one thinks twice about a 'homeless' beggar across the street lol

See, it is a job.

I kinda wanna join in._.

Organized crime is not a legitimate occupation, no matter how cool it is.

>legitimate
The government are a cartel and the LEA their enforces, that's organised crime...

And a gang of thieves/being a thief is nothing in the vein of what OP was implying. Being considered a loser because you're a theif is very different from being considered a loser because you're a 30 year old who works as a cashier at Dennys. Organized crime is another matter and it actually very romanticized by people.

> the government's legitimate
you're funny

It was a pure adrenaline rush every day that's for sure.

We had storage units and even had a girl in a wheelchair who did nothing but list shit on e-marketplaces all day.

Anything that didn't sell after awhile we donated to charitable organizations for dat tax write off.

Banking is a pyramid scheme...

Where do I sign up?

> points out illegitimate schemes
> as evidence to the being legitimate
that train's not leaving the station mate

>being a thief
>loser

Haha what you work 23 hours to buy took us a few hours to take.

Who lost?

By this logic no job is legitimate by majority standards, so I just BANZAIIIIIIed both our arguments into the Pacific.

I wouldn't even know to be honest.

I was recruited into it. The only downside to being in a fucked up tribe like ours is you can't explain to friends and family where you get all your stuff.

>hi user, what do you do?

Uhhhhhhh I'm in acquisitions!

This guy gets it.

If you were a well-off peasant, your job was working your farm.

If you were a poor peasant, your job was working somebody else's farm.

By the majority of social standards, thieves are low-class any record; regardless of their individual agendas or principles. Their romanticization in fiction and profitability are unrelated to their illegality and social stigmas.

Just say you're a venture capitalist who handles forcible liquidation, both commercial and residential. :^)

>social standards

Ah, see that's your hangup not mine. Society is boring. So we created our own with cocaine and panel trucks.

Nice.

I do miss the rush. Every now and then I swipe something while out shopping just to swipe it.

Why oh why couldn't I have been an orphan?

I heard social mobility happened slowly but steadily and after a few generations your average peasant became gentry. At least in England.

Did you have your own Artful Dodger or Nancy?

>crops

Naw pickpocketing is pretty fruitless. Never enough cash to justify the risk.

Backpacks at colleges are where it's at. Good tech you can wipe and resell with ease. That was my start because of my age and appearance. Our warden took one look at me and said "Kid, you're going to college!" So I got my start cruising college libraries looking for sleeping undergrads.

Top of the line headphones, thank God for Beats by Dre. And lots of longboards got taken.

But you have to find shit to do in between semesters.

Thanks, this is good info!

Didn't mean to hijack ops thread.

A baker or a blacksmith working for a wage in some guild i'd imagine. Maybe a petty street seller.

>baker or a blacksmith working for a wage in some guild
That's union work.

It may sound like a 'shitty' job but it paid well. Not anyone could collect nightsoil though as it's usually a monopoly

>social mobility happened slowly but steadily and after a few generations your average peasant became gentry.

No, there was no fixed official mechanism for moving up in society, if you were a peasant then your descendants would be peasants unless one o them stumbled into some dumb luck; save the lord of the manor from drowning or something and get promoted to butler in his home, or sign up with a merchant ship and get in on a bit of piracy and use the cash to buy a small farm, go off to war and and happen to be in the right place at the right time and move up in rank, etc.

probably a kitchen worker in an inn

you have to understand theres no real equivalent of a mcdonalds workers in the 15th century

im guessed you think its a dead end job and its horrible blablabla

if you were a city folk in 1300s, you were not a serf, thus way above "dead end job"
you were free, serfs were not free

Daytaler
Apprentice
Monk

To clarify being an apprentice wasn't a dead end because you can progress to master, but it would be a common profession for a young man.

>dead end job
During the middle ages, every job was a "dead end" job. You weren't supposed to switch professions. You've learned how to do one job and that's what you'd be doing for the rest of your life.

Legitimacy is an abstraction you dumb fuck. People perform actions to sustain themselves.

>1400's
Still mainly farm labourer

The guy who earns himself a bullet after picking the wrong house.

>thinks people weren't jack of all trades peasants mixed with specialized labor

>post Monty python and wants to be taken seriously
cdalebrittain.blogspot.com/2015/10/social-mobility-in-middle-ages.html?m=1

Gentry is this case is simply a larger land owner.

Well if you live in a city you're not a farmer so you're basically middle class and probably have well off enough parents so i think you'd have some decent job like a baker or fishmonger or even clerk.

But, if you're unlucky enough to be the son of peasants who moved into a shack on the edge of the city you might be the guy who sweeps up human shit from the streets or who cleans out stables.

In fact stable boy is probably the equivalent of a Medieval McJob.

svincent.com/MagicJar/Economics/MedievalOccupations.html

>a gang of thieves paying taxes

You can cheat everyone but the government. Paying taxes is an important part of a crime organizations survival.

Since the food industry work is legal, I don't think these equivalences are quite right.

My guess is tanning. No prestige, go home smelling bad, etc.

Where are you from? Where did you do that?

being a little sissy slut/plaything for syphilitic Bishops