Mormons

>Mormons

Is there any historical fact to their claims regarding native ancestry, or even pre-colonial north american history?

None.

Not trying to bait, but how could they get not even one thing right about history or ancients? Thanks for being patient and concise in advance.

They lacked peer review and avoided contrary viewpoints in order to follow the age old promise of paradise.

because it's nonsense written by a known fraud?

So there is nothing historically plausible about the mormon church? Why is it so popular?

People are born into it.

there is nothing plausible about moral realism either, yet 99%< of the world holds moral realist views, probably you included.

no one has even seen the plates that he supposedly got the story from. also, we actually have a funerary scroll in egyptian that Smith translated by revelation as a story of Abraham, which has nothing to do with the actual content

I will be honest with you guys. I was raised mormon and it makes me very sad to come to this realization.

Stopped going to church when I was like 17 because I wanted to bang sluts and party, but I still believed. Now I'm in my mid-30's and my mom and dad are old as fuck and dying, but they want me to go to church. My wife is native american and finds the whole thing batshit retarded.

Just very upset about the whole autism show that has been my life. Anyways thanks for answering.

I want to raise my kids with religion but I don't want to tell them retarded shit like santa is a martian and jesus lives under their bed watching them masturbate but he is invisible. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Fuck mormons.

Yes I have read the book of the dead it's pretty cool. I actually taught myself how to read hieroglyphs somewhat. I was just hoping there was some sliver of truth to it.

Zoroastrianism is the only way forward user

hahaha get fucked

I dated a mormon girl for a few years when I was a teenager. it was impossible for me to take anything seriously, I was raised secular and with a lot of emphasis on science and logic, but I tried anyway for my bewobed gf. got baptized and shit.

imo, the mormon church is fucking awesome and the book of mormon is one of the best works of science fiction ever created, and joseph smith is a bit of an idol of mine. but yeah, I understand that people raised in it often feel betrayed. my ex included, she was pissed.

just be happy you weren't raised fundamentalist. I met someone who was while working at a hostel, he was sent out at age 18 to go make money and send it back to the enclave, basically with the intention that he'll eventually lose faith and stop and not have to compete with the select few who get all of the women.

I'll check it out, thanks man.

Shit that is fucked man, sorry to hear that about the fundamentalist dude and your gf.

Anyways didn't want to derail the thread but it wasn't really going anywhere anyways. Take care bros.

Well user if you are certain about still believing in religion as a whole the best thing to do for now is to try making peace with your parents and going to church with them the give them rest in their latest moments while perhaps looking for alternative denominations of Christianity and speaking the followers of those.
And if you can't find answers there i imagine you could find practitioners of other religions in your area who you could talk to about their religion to see if that would be your thing.

There's an interesting argument that Mormonism appeals to American nationalism due to several factors. I'm not sure that I buy it, but I found the hypothesis intriguing.

Basically, the fake history, the fact that it started in America, the fact that after you die you homestead a planet, and a few other things made it uniquely "American".

of course not, why would you ask something so monumentally retarded

Mormonism is a cult. I don't understand why the gov ever allowed them to get a foothold, should have crushed that shit back when it started.

>Why is it so popular?
At the time of the religion's founding, the idea that ancient Hebrews had settled in America was actually really popular. It was one of the leading explanations for the 'moundbuilder controversy," which was basically people coming up with explanations as to who built the mounds in the eastern US because no one thought Natives could have. Smith latched onto that, connected it to a number of religious ideas that were also somewhat popular during the Great Awakenings era of religious history in the Americas, and created something that appealed to people familiar with the ideas. Today, it's mostly the result of people being raised with it and not questioning it.

>There's an interesting argument that Mormonism appeals to American nationalism due to several factors.
Mormonism is an incredibly American religion. It's basically the perfect product of its time and place, and it makes a lot of sense that Smith was able to gain the following her did. I have no idea why so many Latin Americans are converting to it now, though.

It's a cuddly happy group of people which draws people in, but families and communities will basically shun you if you apostatize so you have a lot of motivation to stay in it. Plus Mormons have a buttload of kids.

Roman Catholicism, bro. It has the history, the religious ritual, and a ton of fun philosophy and theological nuance if you dig that sort of thing. And you'll see that the whole "great apostasy" thing is total bullshit since there's continuity from the apostles to the modern day church.

>there is nothing plausible about moral realism either
>t. pihlophical ignoramus

>continuity from the apostles to the modern day church
nice laughs

None. IIRC they've financed several archeological expeditions with the intent of proving it, but none of them have turned anything up.