Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiogenesis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecofeminism
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

wow

so noble savage

much nature

so important

humans have always sought to dominate nature. mother nature is a crazy bitch who deserves to be tamed.

neanderthals were smart, smarter than us, and they lived in balance with nature. look what happened to them, they all froze to death because the ice age came and they hadn't hoarded every goddamn resource they got their hands on. Who's smarter now?

Hate is a silly term but it's a good preposition.

Literature is our best look at human attitudes to nature over time.

Early literature, pre 1000AD views nature as something fearsome, scary and dangerous, as something to be fought, and to be kept out, which is due to the lack of technology and high civilisation, where nature really was something that could fuck up your wooden shack or ruin all your crops.

The middle period literature, around high middle ages to early modern, begins to treat nature differently. Nature is treated far more mystically with wonder and awe but less with fear and is often viewed as a very feminine thing.

The enlightenment literature is when nature gets really shook up in human eyes. It is now tamed, nature is bent to the human will, this is shown through humans making fancy gardens and doing landscaping, completely controlling nature, while trying to understand and study it from an objective perspective.

In even later literature nature almost begins to not exist, it is simply the background, it is so controlled and crushed by humans that it is disregarded as an entity. This is exemplary of how factories and industry had complete control of nature through watermills and mines and such. The same view ends up extending into today.

Humans started to abuse nature more and more as we gained control over it.

t. Nature hater

With private property. The ones who own the property don't care about destroying whatever is "outside" of it, and the ones who don't own anything are forced to rely on the governing of property owners, who tend to rule in the interests of private property, other than appeasements.

we were always at war with east asia

About three billion years ago when primitive cells started hoarding resources from earth and excreting all over it.

All living things are by definition selfish, exploitative, hoarders. Humans are just the best at it.

t. fossil

Ever since nature tried to kill us. Try living in Australia to approximate the feeling

Surely it's more to do with the fact that as our sentient conscious occurred, were weak beings at the bottom of the food chain and often in alien environments (as hominids left Africa near immediately) which would make fear a natural response and we saw nature out to get us, but when we became smart enough to compensate for our lack of instinctual natural harmony we didn't do so because the fear was so ingrained

>doge maymay

Am I in 2013?

Go back to r*ddit

It hasn't really been brought up ITT thus far but when you adhere to a religion whose only real focus is on the afterlife, and constantly (often rightly) finds plenty to hate about this world, then this religious view easily promotes and conflates with a contempt for nature. Obviously, this contempt is in tension with general advice to love and tend for god's creation, however the latter sentiment may specifically be phrased.

Blogpost:

I took a genuinely interesting philsophy class for a january term once: "concepts of nature". The professor was even-handed about the topic, and gave us ancient, christian, islamic, early-modern and "hippy bullshit" (deep ecology, ecofeminism) readings on the topic. On the surface it sounds cringey but the professor actually did a good job with presenting multiple writings on same topic, and there was one well-dressed, blonde white christian guy who always trolled the class with conventional Christian conservative views on these topics. The students were conventional American leftists but not over-the-top SJWs, so discussion was useful.

The real shitty class came next semester (my last in college), a history course on immigration. This was my first real encounter with the SJW mentality, before it had that name, about a decade ago. I generally kept my mouth shut (I was just about to graduate and doing an elective to pass the time, I didn't care about any of these people, I just wanted the piece of paper by this point, too bad this class has been shit) and got a gentleman's B.

>its all religions fault

What role did religion play in the industrial revolution?

I do. I work in the bush every day. It doesn't try to kill anyone. People are just ignorant of how it works or don't respect it and suffer the consequences.

This is the true answer. All other answers itt are ahistorical bullshit pulled from people's asses.

Deep ecology is good imo, eco feminism is trash tho. Social ecology is also interesting.

Well if Weber is right and religion was a driving force behind the development of early capitalism, then it provided the social/psychological impetus and justification to pursue industrialisation as a means of increasing wealth.

It's probably always been a love/hate, or at least a love/fear. It's hard to imagine that you'd be happy about your wife getting attacked by wild jackals or something.

It's not hate. I hate humans, as for nature we just don't care, I wI'll die one day, so why not consume everything I want before it happens?

When did nature stop hating us, precisely?

Mother Nature is a fucking bitch whose entire natural order is predicated on consumption adaptation and death.

We're supposed to be grateful to her for somehow clawing up the food chain after years of unbound suffering?

>giant insects invade my house
>"didn't respect nature"

Enlightment, unironically. That's where the "We own nature and we can do with it as we wish" meme comes from.

When it stole our cave, are our parents, and infected the cut on our leg.

Around the point the millennials got promised muh sensory deprivation hedonism technocornucopia. Older generations cared and fought harder.

>Older generations cared and fought harder.
Meanwhile, in an older generation
>OMG COCAINE LSD NAMASTE

>your house
>somehow separate from nature

Wew

Neat summary

>insects don't know barriers
>it's my fault

W E W

Deep ecology is literally wrong, however. All value comes directly from human instrumentality; what good does it do for humans.

To assign intrinsic value to the world, as separate from ourselves, is nonsense.

Learning of deep ecology simply re-confirmed in me my already previously held views.

Directly to the OP's point, nature is god-damn evil. Cue the video of a crocodile tearing open a zebra's belly. Yes, this is a sufficiently compelling case for the above assertion.

We don't hate nature, we're just ignorant.

wtf is an eco feminism

Those guys in new Orleans really should have respected that Hurricane. Those people in Fukushima really should have respected that earthquake. Those dudes in Indonesia really should have respected that Tsunami.
There's a snake out there with your name on it and its just waiting to sink its pointy venomous teeth into your bare skin

what does this have to do with the original point that people suffer in nature as a result of their ignorance tho?

>Those guys in new Orleans really should have respected that Hurricane.

yes. it was literally a man made disaster. global warming/rising sea levels + lack of investment/maintenance in flood levies = disaster.

>Those people in Fukushima really should have respected that earthquake.

yes. was also a man made disaster. they knew about the possibility of it happening there yet still built the plant and didn't even build it to the proper standards due to shoddy construction and political corruption. i went to japan and did a research essay about it for uni. can post if you want.

>Those dudes in Indonesia really should have respected that Tsunami.

don't really know much about this, but probably not much they could have done about it except better early warning systems, communication, and lower population densities on the coast.

>There's a snake out there with your name on it and its just waiting to sink its pointy venomous teeth into your bare skin

nah. most snakes are very timid and will scurry away if you make enough noise/movement. except tiger snakes and browns i think. don't be such a pussy.

when it could, the cyanobacteria wiped out 99% of all life on earth with their waste products?

how did nature react? It rewarded this success with continued existence, to this very day.

Because nature only punishes the weak, it rewards the strong no matter how that strength was achieved.
And humanity is strong, all we need to do is ensure we don't lose this strength.

>All value comes directly from human instrumentality

agreed. but the point is to ASSIGN intrinsic value to nature to protect it. human life has no intrinsic value either. for must of history (and even today in a lot of places) it is absolutely worthless. but the artifice of human rights and other ethical/religious systems (spooks though they may be) help in protecting us and stop us from being used as mere means/instruments/slaves/resources.

>what good does it do for humans.

if we destroy the environment in which we evolved and which currently sustains us and makes our lives worth living, we destroy ourselves.

>as separate from ourselves

no ne is saying it is seperate from ourselves. the point is that it is entriely connected to us; it IS us.

>nature is god-damn evil.

how can it be if "All value comes directly from human instrumentality"?

>Cue the video of a crocodile tearing open a zebra's belly. Yes, this is a sufficiently compelling case for the above assertion.

this is not an event which enters the realm of the moral/ethical. there are no moral subjects/agents here. only the unconcious instincts of nature. it merely is. the "evil" of nature is a human interpretation/projection, i.e. a delusion.

also nature relies as much on, if not more so, on co-operation/symbiosis than it does on competition/"survival of the fittest". this isn't really a controversial point in modern biology: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiogenesis

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecofeminism

well regarding the "Great Oxygenation Event", it wasn't really about strength or weakness. it was just that the conditions which made the existence of certain organisms possible were changed so that they no longer possible.

we are acting exactly like those bacteria at the moment. we are changing the conditions which sustain and make our existence possible. we need to maintain those conditions, not be "strong".

>believing in man made climate change
I never meant the melt down. I meant the earthquake and subsequent flooding.
There's a ton of shit we can't really prepare for no matter how much you respect nature. But could you gimme the jist on your essay
>don't be such a pussy
Fyt me m8 1v1

>not believing in science

>There's a ton of shit we can't really prepare for no matter how much you respect nature.

100% true. but by "respcting nature" i don't mean some metaphysical hippie bullshit, i mean taking practical steps to understand how the natural world works (physics, chemistry, biological, ecology, etc.) and working with it rather than against it. the death toll for the 2011 jap earthquake was ~10,000 (i think?) and that was largely due to earthquake-proof engineering in housing/apartments and good early warning/evac systems. the indonesian death toll was ~200,000 (i think), partly because they had none of that. so in fact you can do a lot to prepare if you "respect nature".

re the essay, basically the government and company responsible for the power plant were corrupt and were in cahoots, lots of kickbacks, they didn't build the plant to the correct standards or in the right place, was known that it couldn't withstand an earthquake, could have been fixed with easy upgrades, this info was repressed, didn't do shit to save $$$.

I'd hate nature more if i was a caveman, since it'd be trying to kill me at every chance.

Whenever mosquitoes were invented.

Hippy nature worshipers NEVER live in the woods and have to deal with the small annoying shit. when most people say"nature" they mean some Disney esque idolized version that has never existed,

>muh global warming

Fuck off retard, weather has been fucking people up for millenia

first toe stubbing, you can just see it, first experience of humanoid pain, clocks instantly start winding to nuclear devices,

final countdown (8)

>When did humans start hating nature?

Never. We still cringe and feel sad while exploiting it.

>

there is no hate, just too much physical distance to the consequences or just plain getting used to it

We dont come from water

>and they lived in balance with nature.

What is this feel good nonsense supposed to mean?

Your mum must have had one sandy cunt cos i sure came from water

People throughout most of history tended to respect nature. And by respect I mean understand it's potential destructiveness. But they also understood it as a provider and giver of things. This I believe was what gave form to various religious beliefs. Nature hating seems like a recent thing which stems from abrahamic beliefs where nature is a female beneath god (male) and his son. And where it's man's destiny to dominate it. The belief also assumes than man is separate from nature so this domination takes it to a more extreme level . Its curious to note that the places where christianity took hold of and where native traditions survived more like in scandinavia or indigenous communities throughout the americas there is a greater respect with nature.

When it decided to give us germs, harmful bacteria, disease, plagues, etc.

Just wanted you to better define your respect stuff.
>believing science
I genuinely believe that the science has been fudged. When countries like China Russia say it a hoax they have good reason to believe so. Just check up some YouTube vids(don't laugh) to see about how the hoax was developed. This is atleast a conspiracy with a bunch of evidence and proof back by science and scientists. The 99% of scientists believe in global warming us an intentionally misleading lie.
> Fukushima cutting corners
You know what's really disgusting about hearing that? Its that there must have been a lot of people involved that decided to turn a blind eye.
Where I'm from a shopping centre collapse 2 years ago. They were just months from opening luckily. But the people were only using half the recommended amount of rebar and god knows were else they were cutting corners. They bought the tender from the government.

We're basically all those things you listed against nature.
So who's really the bad guy?

Captcha: footpath

Captcha: footpath (again)

Man doesn't hate nature, man fears nature. Nature is still the master of man, the one thing that can destroy him in an instant.

>Mother nature
>Tarmac path