*genocides herero"

*genocides herero"
is this guy literally worse than hitler? he directly ordered the annhilation of the herero people in angola, forcing their people into the desert whereupon 65 thousand, or 80% of hereros, were wiped out. what the fuck is wrong with germans Veeky Forums?

65,000 < 6,000,000

>The Nama who chooses not to surrender and lets himself be seen in German territory will be shot, until all are exterminated. Those who, at the start of the rebellion, committed murder against whites or have commanded that whites be murdered have, by law, forfeited their lives. As for the few not defeated, it will fare with them as it fared with the Herero, who in their blindness also believed that they could make war successfully on the powerful German Emperor and the great German people. I ask you, where are the Herero today?[

He didn't though. In fact the guy responsible for it was stripped of his rank and trialed for it.

Also by that metric everyone ruling any colonial empire during the 17th-19th century was worse than Hitler. At least in the German Empire this sort of thing was considered a crime, while the brits are still convinced to this day massacring millions of indians or starving them to death by deliberatly witholding food supplies was a perfectly okay thing to do.

Why do people care about the Herero again?

A bunch of spearchucking savages who chimped out, massacred german settlers, got chased into a desert by german troops where they promptly starved/dehydrated to death.

Most overrated """genocide""" of all time.

>chimped out
i'd chimp out too if my tribe's land and resources were forcibly seized, threatening our entire livelihood and social order. the germans were also discriminatory, and besides that their high handedness and smug cultural sense of superiority over africans made a lot of hereros naturally resentful of them. as for massacres, we're talking about a people without access to modern weapons, and yet still the hereros rebelled and humiliated the germans even if they got crushed. The ultimate german attempt to wipe them out was extreme and all out of proportion to any "crimes" committed by the herero

>angola
If you don't know what you're talking about, just shut the fuck up and ask instead of pretending.

>i'd chimp out too if my tribe's land and resources were forcibly seized
Sure

but don't come whining when you suffer the consequences.

i was just reading about portuguse africa earlier my bad
>namibia

Their land wasn't seized, they sold it because much of their cattle became sick.

The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

>Athenians raze Melos for resisting subjugation
>get DORIAN'D
>Germans genocide Hereros for resisting colonisation
>get ENTENTE'D
>Nazis genocide Jews for existing
>get ALLY'D

Thucydides is always right.

wilhelm II was literally the worst regaurdless.

Actually the Germans were itching to fight and eradicate them anyways. Settlers started getting bloodthirsty and pretty much genocidal.

Wilhelm II was the worst because he was more inept at diplomacy than any other ruler and generally a huge idiot. Considering the genocide, at least there was some provocation., as opposed to the genocide of the jews. Hitler also was not just responsible for the genocide of the Jews, he killed everyone who might disagree with him, plus homosexuals, disabled people and almost everyone he came across on his eastern campaigns.

what about all the compromising treaties negotiated with the herero and the germans colonial administration interfering excessively in tribal affairs. it was a more than a matter of selling property but the meddling of german colonial officials, though i concede that the loss of cattle was important in forcing the herero to work for the germans, when previously they were able to live independently from their explotative economy

Which is a big recurring point of the entire ordeal. It was gonna happen either way regardless of the Hereros or Nama did anything or not..

But we did not kill them the desert did :^)

There was a big dissonance between Leutwin who was more willing to be more accommodating and fair and the people under him who were muhc more favorable and supportive of settler desires.

Zurn actually forged treaty signatures for example

>deliberately withholding supplies
There's a difference between engineering famine and not giving relief

i see.. my memory's a bit fuzzy i've only read a bit here and there about german policies

I think we all know what niggers are like, so how is he to blame?

Not if they have those famines because of the cash crop agriculture forced on them by gunpoint.