What got you into History, user?

What got you into History, user?

>played paradox autism games
>learn history of my country
>learn history of europe

I went to school

I discovered someone knew more about something than I did and didn't like that.

History in schools isn't great, not everywhere.

In Northern Ireland for example there have been countless examples of them teaching about the history of NI in a way that paints irish catholics as oppressive terrorists that attacked innocent protestants with 0 context, etc etc

I came out of a fucking grammar school in England having studied Geography and couldn't point out India on a map until I taught myself where everything was.

They really don't teach an equal level of stuff all over the country.

My family (especially dad who explained me why the world is like that), movie about history, book (especially the picture in), and that feeling of understand the world better that other people.

This. Good professors do wonders. Vidya is just a supplement.

Largely out of watching movies with my old man. I think Gladiator and 13th warrior kicked off my interest, but it wasn't until University that I took a course in "Intro to Ancient Roman Culture" ( and played the shit out of Rome: Total war) that I fell in love with Ancient Rome.

>strict mother
>wouldnt let me out a lot when I was young(6-7 years old)
>we had some history books at home
>started reading and liked it
I later started reading a ton of wikipedia pages and writing papers just for fun.

My family

>one grandfather told lots of stories about history
>other grandfather knew a lot about Rome
>good teachers
>tv
>videogames
>patrician taste

War was interesting as a kid and I studied the American Civil War from ages 7-12 from the library and from 5 to present aviation.
Since I was 14, I've been studying the Slavs, and the wars in the East and the Caucasus

>read a lot as a child
>got my hands on horrible histories
>got me interested in history to eventually start reading heavier/more accurate books on history
I also played Paradox /gsg/ autism games and Total War

>In Northern Ireland for example there have been countless examples of them teaching about the history of NI in a way that paints irish catholics as oppressive terrorists that attacked innocent protestants with 0 context, etc etc
REEEEEE

having no friends

I romanticize war and battle, this naturally leads to history.

Never gave a shit about history in school because history education in America is, as far as I'm concerned, a shitshow.

When I started playing EUIII partway through high school though, I got hooked on history. It's spiraled so far out of control that now, in college, I'm studying to get a degree in history education. I want to give kids the history education I feel I didn't get but should've gotten.

Empire Earth and History Channel

That is great user. I wish i could do that too.

Thanks. It turns out that teacher education in America is frustratingly focused on inclusivity and shit, but it's worth it for the qualification and licensure.

Never cared much for history in school since
>American education
In California they spent so much time teaching us about spanish missions and le injuns and I could give less of a fuck.

Honestly Dynasty Warriors and later Total War games were the first thing that really got me interested. Worked in a warehouse outta high school and started listening to Dan Carlin podcasts, then History of Rome, and then just lectures on youtube for whatever sounded interesting.

Also, at the risk of sounding cringey, listening to Sabaton albums is what finally got me to start reading about european history & 30 years war era after being a huge romaboo. Carolians are the most badass dudes of all time imo.

As much as anything, it's my dad for watching Connections with me as a kid.
PBS might have had something to do with that as well.

Rome, shogun and medieval total war
Hoi
Victoria 2
HBO rome

>Victoria
ayyye my first /gsg/ and still my favourite