Is it possible not to fear death?

Is it possible not to fear death?

yeah

Define "fear"

Not sure desu

Speaking as someone who's had to (and I guess still is) facing uncertainty over his life, I can say you can definitely rise over the fear and carry on living once you accept the inevitability of it. Like they say, courage is not the absence of fear but the ability to rise above it. It's cliche but there is some truth to it.

Is it possible not to be a faggot?

/thread

I fear the pain related to death more than death itself desu.

I don't.

It's a better place. Why would I fear an existence superior the shitty one that I have to live with right now?

Either that or its nothingness, in which case fearing it is literally as pointless as fearing falling asleep.

we get it. it's illogical in some capacity to fear death. but you can do all the reasoning you want, even if you've spent your whole life believing in an afterlife, you're going to fear death when it gets down to it

Nope.

t. Cancer patient.

This is my thought process. Death is either eternal bliss or eternal slumber. Both seem alright to me.

>t, even if you've spent your whole life believing in an afterlife, you're going to fear death when it gets down to it
Periods of change are always stressful, and one can't be faulted for feeling stressed about the single most important change in our existence since our birth: our death.

As for me, I'm fine with there being an afterlife, and I'm fine with nothingness.

Sure. Easily, even.

All you need is overconfidence in the face of danger and a lack of introspection in times of peace. Basically, if you never consciously face the idea of your death, you'll never fear it. When death is finally upon you, it's already over and it's too late for fear.

yes

again, just a bunch of bullshit you're spouting as death seems so removed from daily life

you're fine with it as long as there's the objet petit a of time between you and it

Death is a real bummer and I want to see my kids (and potentially grandkids) grow up as long as possible, but I'm not scared of it.

Honestly, it feels like people are less afraid of death itself, and more afraid of pain.

The amount of shit humans do to avoid pain really is staggering.

A man can literally drink 6 bottles of whiskey a day for 20 years to just stop suffering, even though it's slowly killing him.

You've been dead before, was it so bad?

Isnt that is how most of soldiers/military men lived/live their lives? Seems legit to me.

No

Nope, just like it's impossible not to fear pain. Unless you have a serious brain problem, there are some things you are simply built to fear.

yes

Muslims went to war seeking death and martyrdom, it's what made them an unstoppable force since they had everything to gain and nothing to lose.

>I am certain of this, that no-one has died who was not going to die at some time, and the end of life reduces the longest life to the same condition as the shortest. When something has ceased to exist, there is no more question of better or worse, longer or shorter. What does it matter by what kind of death life is brought to an end? When man’s life is ended he does not have to die again. Among the daily chances of this life every man on earth is threatened in the same way by innumerable deaths, and it is uncertain which of them will come to him. And so the question is whether it is better to suffer one in dying or to fear them all in living.

I genuinely, literally don't fear death. I used to think people who said that were bluffing. I'm not bluffing. I can't even explain what changed, really. Maybe I got tired.

Yes. I do not fear death.

You grew up, bro

Yeah, but that's just another way of not really explaining it. It always used to annoy me when people told me to grow up, as if I knew what that meant.

Here is my best attempt at explaining it: I no longer find it a particularly interesting fact that I am alive. I'm more interested in other things.

Read Phaedo

>This is my thought process. Death is either eternal bliss or eternal slumber. Both seem alright to me.

>eternal bliss
If you're Christian
>eternal slumber
If you're Atheist

What if you're Jewish?

Here's my guess:
When you were younger you were heavily focused on yourself, you slowly grew to realize how big the world is and your place in it. It's not so much that you want to die, just that you've come to realize death as a natural part of life, so it's more like getting your teeth cleaned at the dentist or applying for a car loan than the most important historical event ever. I'm assuming you've experienced deaths of family members, close friends, or even celebrities that you were extremely fond of, and those helped bring about the comprehension of your own mortality. And once you faced it you realized it wasn't a huge deal.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, insane people kill themselves all the time.

dying is more scary than death itself

I fear premature death, everyone expects a future(most till at least 70). Dying before seeing what could have been is the worst.

However, it really breaks down to whether you believe in an afterlife or not. If you genuinely think you'll become nothingness then it is possible. If you believe in an afterlife than it depends on how you lived your life and if you overcame any regrets.

If you fear death, that only means you lack faith.

only atheist fear death

I don't understand atheists that fear death.

If it really is nothingness, then you've got nothing to fear since your consciousness will be obliterated anyway.

Amen.

lmao man nothing matters like you just die omg, life is so good, no one wants to just die

Is spending time on Veeky Forums your biggest regret?

I don't

Religious kool aid drinkers don't fear "death" because they don't believe they actually cease to exist, only that "death" is a continuation of physical life, and for the muslim, a life of material excess and decadence. Deluding yourself with dreams of "eternal life" is not coming to terms with death at all, despite what the major faiths tell you.

Something spooky woogy

yeah, when your convinced it'll be a greater existence than living...