Who was the worst Roman emperor, Veeky Forums? Nero? Caligula? Domission? Give me your answer and explain why

Who was the worst Roman emperor, Veeky Forums? Nero? Caligula? Domission? Give me your answer and explain why.

Other urls found in this thread:

romanarmytalk.com/rat/thread-23369.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Constantine, for removing the legions from the borders with allowed the invasion of barbarians

My vote goes to Commodus.

Nero was a fuckup, but a lot of the stuff about him, like fiddling while the city burned was propaganda made against him by ancient Christians. Which, by the way, back then Christianity was like a weird incest death-cult since they all wanted to be martyrs, their symbol was an execution platform, and they called each other "brother" and "sister", even husbands and wives. Nero and other mainstream pagan Romans were understandably freaked out by this.

Caligula was crazy as hell but I think Commodus was worse sicne he seemed to know exactly what he was doing and why it was bad (killing people, especially wounded war veterans for his own amusement in an arena) but he kept doing it anyway.

Diocletian, 293
never 5get

>Domission

You do realise the barbarians WERE the auxilliaries and their families, right? Arming frontier people always backfires. It killed the mesapotamians, it killed the egyptians, it killed the persians and it killed the romans.

By far the worse one was Geta. He aint even do shit

Augustus, for starting the mess and making the Senate so reliant on an autocrat it ceased to function at all.

Rome would still be alive today if Augustus never existed. Prove me wrong.

There were 20 legions on the german border, Constantine abandoned the western empire to invasion

Augustus was black. Prove me wrong

Augustus. The empire was a mistake

Prove yourself right first nigger

Theodosius is noteworthy as 'worst emperor' as he did oversee the destruction of classical civilization by taking actions like banning the olympics among other things. Although while this rustles my jimmies, I can't really speak on how bad or good his policies were.

he wuz kaaannnggggg

Theodosius was a faggot scrub who terminally weakened the empire at a crucial moment trying to emulate Constantine.

>t. Zosimus

Okay. The first romans was ruled by kings who was black. Tarquinius superbus the last black king of rome was overthrown by the whiteys who ruled rome for a couple of centuries. Until sulla the great black general overthrew the whiteys and exterminated them in the social war. Now blacks was running rome again and a whitey wasnt seen in the region again until it was sacked by alaric and the whiteys eventually killed or sent the black romans to africa. Augustus was black

He's the man who divided the empire permanently. Let that sink in.

I thought Sulla was the guy who destroyed Athens and all the classical stuff? But Sulla was pretty cool guy, I like him.

Galba
Literally didnt do anything worthy of note (apart from existing)

Why is Nero considered a bad Emperor?
The fire wasnt his fault btw

he was the donald trump of his time

he was a flamboyant loudmouth who annoyed the upper classes

Thats not enough to consider him a bad Emperor, plus the eastern provinces loved him because he "prevented" a large scale war.

the black one

Honorius, Valentinian III and Phocas were by far the absolute worst of the worst.

I always see these threads full of people posting Emperors who were actually really great like Augustus and Constantine just because they dislike them personally, which is dumb.

What's probably even dumber is people posting Emperors who were personally a bit insane but didn't have much of a political impact on the state like Nero or Elagabalus.

Commodus is the only correct answer. Rome never had a good Emporer after him. Nerva to Aurelius was the golden age of humanity, and he fucked it.

it is when you have the senatorial classes writing the history

Diocletian
He was Antichrist and probably Satan as well

Nice Try. That reorganization started under Diocletian and was only finalized by Constantine.
romanarmytalk.com/rat/thread-23369.html

It's not like the limes were keeping barbarians out up to that point anyway.

Lol it almost killed the US too, the Southern states primarily consisted of Scottish 'wildmen', sent there as a buffer against Native Americans and Mexico.

Is it even a contest?

There's so many abysmal emperors that the title of "worst" is almost meaningless but I'd say Honorius

emperors were ultimately figureheads who did little more than represent the times they lived in and the state they ruled

while a strong willed emperor might influence the path of the ship somewhat, the rise and fall of the roman empire was beyond the fate of individual men

Firstly,
>Domission
Secondly, Domitian was fucking great. One of the most effective rulers Rome ever saw.

My vote for worst goes to Commudus.

Justinian, if we're counting Byzantium as Roman as well.

Source: Secret History of the Court of Justinian.

Was Nero even that bad? He didn't really do anything to set himself from other rulers.

Rome had plenty of good or potentially good emperors after him (Aurelian, Probus, Constantius II, Diocletian, Valentinian I, Gallienus, among others). The problem was they ruled in the empire that Commodus left them.

Personal depravity?
Caligula, Nero, Commodus
Terrible leadership?
Honorius, Valentinian II, Valentinian III, Caracalla, Commodus again

romulus augustulus duh

he didn't show any leadership but fucked around with his advisors (including his mother) and spent a bunch on his personal hobbies

Part of the problem was that he was an egotistical and really cared more for himself and his own pleasures. He got paranoid as he got older most damningly believing that Corbulo was part of the plots against his life and ordering him to commit suicide.

Really kind of weird to think that if Nero hadn't gotten paranoid about Corbulo and replaced him with Vespasian then we'd be talking about the Domitian dynasty which probably would've seen the reign of Corbulo followed by (I would assume) Emperor Vinician.

the senate had ceased to be a truly functional body almost a century before Augustus rose to power

He also scapegoated a new religious cult and persecuted them to the point that even the roman citizens were saying it was going to far.

>Being a filthy republican
Apply yourself

what a short, violent and fucked up life he had

To be fair, things like the great migrations presented problems to the later emperors that the early emperors couldn't dream of

It's not actually about the migrations at all. The real problem was that the tiny tribes that the Romans had fought against in the 1st century AD had, as a result ironically enough of Roman aggression and constant punitive raids on their lands + interference with their politics by dumping shit tons of gift on regional leaders, united into much more powerful and dangerous federations. The Franks are probably the best example of this.

He was literally just a kid who didn't even do anything.

Basically every western Emperor after Majorian was a complete non-entity but that doesn't make them deserving of being ranked as the worst.

I'd rather be ruled by someone like Olybrius than Phocas or Valentinian III

Justinian?
The man that codified the Laws?
I disagree!
Elagabalus was a lot worse in my view and he wasn't really that destructive,just degenerate.

>Basically every western Emperor after Majorian was a complete non-entity
All six of them with the ones before Julius Nepos being Ricimer puppets with no real power and the last being Romulus Augustulus?

Justinian's quest to reunite the Empire was basically a fool's errand and overstretched the Empire immensely. If they'd have attempted to try and stabilize the Ostrogothic Kingdom and prop it up as a client state that probably would've worked out much better.