What was a day in the life like for the average merchant in the Middle Ages?

What was a day in the life like for the average merchant in the Middle Ages?

Other urls found in this thread:

stsimonoftrent.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

SHYLOCK

To bait fish withal. If it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge. He hath disgraced me and hindered me half a million, laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies—and what’s his reason? I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? Fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility? Revenge. If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his sufferance be by Christian example? Why, revenge. The villainy you teach me I will execute—and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

Pretty average.

(((average merchant)))

FAIR SIR, YOU SPAT ON ME ON WEDNESDAY LAST, YOU SPURNED ME SUCH A DAY, ANOTHER TIME YOU CALLED ME DOG.

FOR THESE COURTESIES I'LL LEND YOU THUS MUCH MONIES.

It's funny how Jews try to pretend this never happened despite being adequate enough documentation to prove that it did. You may as well say Charlemagne was never crowned Roman Emperor by the pope.

Whats happening here

a ritual murder

A claim that Jews sacrifice christian babies to satan and use their blood to bake their bread. Common claim among muslims and low-IQ individuals in the west.

the very idea seems to be against the writ of their beliefs

very plainly do I think it to be false accusation

You'd spend a large amount of time riding in a wagon and hoping that the mercenaries you hired are enough to defend you from bandits on the road.
Once you get to whatever town you're passing through you'd hit up your contacts there (who are probably related to you in some way) and you'd say "Ay yo senpai, tell me about the fair prices on goods around here."
After doing that you'd go haggle with some local merchants and trade your shit for their shit. Hopefully the stuff you brought is in short supply and nobody beat you to the punch.
After a month or two you leave town and repeat until you get to the end of your route. Then you turn around and head home. The whole journey could take a couple years.

Proof?

There's nothing in any jewish text that talks about sacrificing children and cannibalism, which is what the /pol/beards claim. The claim though is Jews have a "secret" text that endorses this IIRC. The Protocols of the Elders of Zion made this claim too.

>The Bible says "thou shalt not murder" therefore no Christian has ever murdered anybody

That fruit looks tasty. I hope he could sell all of it.

It's not just murder though. According to /pol/ and muslims it's a very specific type of satantic ritual murder based on their religious dogma. The lack of mentioning in this text, and the fact that several parts of the blood libel ritual would go against Jewish dogma, makes it suspect

interesting.

Well of course some of what I said would depend on the type of merchant. I was talking about a traveling merchant like you'd find on the silk road. There would of course be merchants who operate in smaller areas, but that's less interesting. Someone like that would function just like any salesman today. Many of them would be purchasing goods directly from the source so they could sell them. Farmers and many other producers of wares would have to sell off their surplus goods just because they wouldn't have the time or means to hang onto them until they could find other buyers.

>all documentation is equal

It's okay user, we understand you never understood how to analyse sources.

stsimonoftrent.com

Depends which part of the middle ages. Early? High? Late? Also the country mattered.

From what I've read radanite jews had it pretty comfy during the days of charlemang.