Has there been any culture or time where snakes weren't evil?

Has there been any culture or time where snakes weren't evil?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Asclepius
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mami_Wata
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Mesoamerican cultures

Minoan Meme religion.

The Snake probably represented the Earth, while the Bull probably represented either Heaven or possibly Sea.

>rats fucking over crops and bring plague
>sneks eat the rats
REEE SNAKES REEE

The Plague way postdates Snek hate.

Anywhere people realised they were great at killing pests, not scary dragon babies i.e. not Northern Europe.

Chinese named some years after em

Libertarians have redeemed them.

You're an idiot.

Snake hate developed in the Middle East.

>snek slithers into kids bed
>kid dies squealing

Hurrrr why ppl hate snek?!?!??

Ancient Sue Marion's in later Babylonians believe the giant snake sacrificed itself and got chopped up in a little pieces that later become the land that people lived on. Enslaved Jews took the Babylonian religion and reversed it so snakes were bad.

Most cultures that don't ascribe heavily to an Abrahamic religion, yes. They were especially positive symbols in ancient Egypt and Greece (which shared the oroboros in common and also had various serpentine iconography like the khepresh and the rod of asclepius, respectively), and symbols like kundalini and the oroboros or benevolent serpentine gods appear in the indigenous cultures of much of the world. If you count anything serpentine and not snakes specifically, several benevolent Chinese deities are long, snakelike dragons.

>Sue Marion's
Ha! Sumerians

>got chopped up in a little pieces

In pre-Christian Greco-Roman cultures, the snake was a symbol of fertility and love.

one theory about that I've read is that is a tapeworm and doctors used to curl it around a stick to get it out, then it became a symbol for medicine

The vast majority of Amazonia.

That sounds like one of those modernist literal interpretations that people shit out about everything.

My guess would be some holdover from medicine rituals

No. It's about the Temple of Asclepius.

People used to go and sleep in the temple, and it was believed that the snakes kept there would come out of the basement at night and lick the sick person's wounds/afflicted area and heal them.

it probably is, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Asclepius
yeah, was just reading about it., also the bit about the cult and the bit about the bible verse is interesting

>vomit into a bowl
>"we'll use this symbol for healing!"

No

see
And medicine is actually rather a modernist conception too.

While there's certainly some parity with the Bronze Serpent of Moses and the Caduceus, the explanation I've heard that sounds the most compelling is an inheritance of certain amount of Kundalini doctrines of nadi channels via Sumeria/Mesopotamia (as the concept doesn't appear to be a native PIE notion; there's a text with a chapter on this topic in the library, in the Eastern>Beginner's folder, iirc).

to get a tapeworm out you can starve yourself them put meat on the tip of your tongue and it will work its way out of your stomach to eat it and then you pull it out, women used to do it to lose weight

Baltic/Romuva paganism

Snakes were revered all over black africa as the reincarnations of ancestors and water gods

>were
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mami_Wata

The followers of the Sethian religion venerated the snake from the garden of eden to some degree.
I believe that there were also several cults devoted to serpent deities among the ancient Egyptian religion.

As some have pointed out already, in the ancient Minoan culture snakes had some level of significance.
But it is doubtful we will know what exactly that significance was until we decode their language.

What was even their significance in the first place?

Lots of ""Gnostics"" riff on the Kabbalistic gematria concept that Nachash (serpent) and Messiah enumerate to the same value.

>Egypt
While we have no serious confirmation of a Nubian(ish) Ophidian cult there are a wide number of serpentine entities for veneration.

The minoan stuff is neat tho.

Do snakes have mystical powers?
Why do humans even have 'kundalini'? We're fucking humans, not snakes.

Pagan Slavs saw snakes as magical beings who bring good luck. Minoans either worshipped snakes or handled snakes as part of their religious ceremonies.

The snake is a convenient reference symbol.
Kundalini simply refers to hollow channels observed by relatively primitive anatomists and mystics.

The Greeks though that semen was composed either partially or entirely of cerebrospinal fluid which mirrors a lot of the Sumerian/Mesopotamian and Lower Indian Subcontinent concepts on the kundalini.

>do sneks have powr?
I dunno guess it depends on the snek.

Responsibly coy but generally informative, thanks Thoth.

Last question: why do you call them hollow channels?

>hollow channels
That's what "nadi" literally translates into; a hollow tube that goes through the body.

The Aboriginal Australians worshipped the Rianbow Snake or something

A lot of people did

What a retarded image. Dahomey "culture" is medieval at the earliest, Chinese rainbow dragon is called that because of it's shape not it's color, and while that crude daub /may/ be intended to be the rainbow snake, no part of Australian mythology is more than a few centuries old.

I've long been interested in rainbows in mythology. I find it curious that the rainbow appears after the flood, as if it were something that wasn't there before the calamity. Can this be interpreted as a change in the Earth's atmosphere? Some kind of massive electromagnetic shift? Were the properties of the atmosphere vastly different before?

It's a myth you dumb faggot, rainbows have existed on Earth for as long as liquid water has.

The Marsi were an Oscan-speaking Italic people whose main deity was a snake goddess. Their culture slowly died/was absorbed by Rome after the Social War.

Plenty, in hinduism there is still naga worship, or snake worship, especially in Kerala where Sarpa-Kavu or snake groves are sacred and worshipped before harvests or good luck. Snakes are associated with rivers due to their fluid movement and spring due to the act of shedding their skin which is seen as rebirth.

>implying

Ayo so you be sayin

My kundalini was activated during an intense LSD experience. I felt like I was a snake-like creature at one point. Shit was spooky

Pretty sure it's the opposite; Kabbalah was influenced by gnostic thought. (Which itself was influenced by neo-platonic thought)