Can someone educate me on Ming military? I realize it's a little /k/-related...

Can someone educate me on Ming military? I realize it's a little /k/-related, but the only "historical facts" I can find are from fricken Deadliest Warrior.

Other urls found in this thread:

greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hongyipao
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breech-loading_swivel_gun#Use
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Pyongyang_(1593)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Banners#/media/File:The_Grand_Review_-_No.3_-_Reviewing_Battle_Formation_cropped_center.jpg
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/04/xian-qiang.html
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/03/tang-ba.html
youtube.com/watch?v=RGjoOM9taYc
youtube.com/watch?v=2AzmJ-Eqk5s&index=5&list=PLxwm4AZsPZ73e4bTq28KrgzIQpPrTH2U8
youtube.com/watch?v=wwuPAsh-N38
youtube.com/watch?v=AxtP8t-cIvI
historum.com/asian-history/121374-tang-army-vs-late-ming-army-7.html#post2617053
kashima-shinryu.jp/English/i_historical_fact.html
metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/658575)
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/04/famous-military-unit-lang-bing.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wangjin)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>dude.
>DUDE
>CANNONS
>LIKE MAKE LOTS OF THEM
>Foreigners have better ones? COPY FOREIGN CANNONS.
>HIRE JESUITS TO HELP US BUILD CANNONS AND ALLOW THEM TO PREACHE IN RETURN
>Muskets? Yea, they're nice, BUT CANNONS THO
>Dude how about a horse or camel saddle...THAT CARRIES A CANNON?
>How about a musket...THAT IS ACTUALLY A CANNON AND NEEDS TWO NIGGAS TO OPERATE?
>SHIEEEEEET
>CANNONS MAYNE.
Seriously, the Ming period is marked by Chinese obsession with artillery and invention of new artillery types.

Mercenary spam to enforce tributaries on all the nations around you.

> How about a musket...THAT IS ACTUALLY A CANNON AND NEEDS TWO NIGGAS TO OPERATE?

kek

Taqiang, if you're curious.

Basically acts like an in between an artillery piece and a musket. In that it is light enough to be a musket but hits niggas far enough that it is a small artillery piece. Usually used to fuck up against other muskets.

Pic related: it's Qing but the gun was ivented during the Ming period. Brits called them "JIngal Guns" after a similar weapon from India.

>fricken

Hey, I didn't make the rules- Jesus did.

Wall guns, they were used in Europe too. It's the early equivalent of a heavy support gun.

Any videos of replicas being fired?

I kinda wish gunpowder wasn't so good. That way, rifles could be more artistically and culturally unique than they are today.

Jingal gun is larger than typical wall gun though.

Great Ming Military

Something's been bugging me for a while having read the Ming military blog for a while.

I'm not exactly well-read on the Qing dynasty, but, given the emphasis the Ming placed on rocket weapons and the volume in which they deployed them (the sense I get from the Ming military blog is that they were tremendously cheap to produce en masse, and quite effective) why didn't the Qing continue their use or development? Did they? I've noticed a lot of people point to Mysorean victories over the British given their use of rockets in a few key battles, but the Chinese seem to have been pretty ahead of the game as far as rocket weapons went.

Did the Green Standard armies deploy a lot of rockets alongside their matchlocks and cannon, given that a lot of them were Ming defectors?

It's just a bit weird to me to see Chinese rocket weapons ceasing to be mentioned after a while.

the qing put more emphasis on cavalry because of their manchu military tradition, those firearm are still used though. there was this big ass chinese painting somewhere showing the entire qing banner armies

Bruh the 1500s Ming really saw the demise of rocket tech because cannons are just fuckin superior. The ball tends to go where you want it to go, and Late Ming China ended up having shitloads of expert artillerymen and shitloads of pieces ranging from field guns to mortars.

Also they're cheaper: a rocket you have to get the right gunpowder, make the right kind of aerodynamic container, and the whole thing is used up once. Meanwhile Chinese peasants in their small anti-bandit fights could make a cannon using only a hollowed out piece of trunk reinforced by iron bands or sinew. There's even disposable, one shot, handcannons made out of bamboo and rope which the militias fired into the enemy before dropping it and closing in with their weapons. Kinda like a disposable anti-tank rocket like a LAW or Panzerfaust.

A few reasons really. First chinese was behind in cannon design and they knew. They focused on improving copies of european designs.

For the 16th century it was the "Folangji" and for the 17th century it was the "hongyipao".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hongyipao
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breech-loading_swivel_gun#Use

They were covering their weakness rather then improving on their strength. It ended up working out for the Ming during the Japanese invasion of Korea.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Pyongyang_(1593)

At which point the different sizes of Folangji overtook the use of rocket based artillery. Second the Qing on were focused on improving cavalry based tactics in the first part of the 17th century. England, Russia and Sweden were doing the same thing around that time just to frame things. Russia was the closest analogue to the Qing in terms of goals even if the weapons they developed were rather different.

Forget pic. This is a Folangji to the chinese, or a breech-loading swivel gun if European.

What about non-gunpowder weapons? What was the average infantry's gear?

Nice posts. Yeah, I'm aware of the hongyipao/folangji and the increasing role of cannon, but the Ming military blog author said that they deployed around 170,000 rockets in total for the Imjin War, which still seems quite significant, and it seems like they'd be useful supplementary weapons for infantry (he also mentions that "about 40% of southern troops were given rockets").

I guess it was just more of a logical progression of things then?

The Manchu were horseniggers LARPing as chinks

Frick you. It's a good word.

Darn right.

>Why didn't the Qing continue their use or development?
Well he does state that rockets have a relatively poor shelf life.

>(he also mentions that "about 40% of southern troops were given rockets").
Soldiers trained under the methods devised by Qi Jiguang were expected to preform a dual role.

Imjin War rockets were mainly incendiary projectiles used in offensive sieges.

>The Manchu were horseniggers LARPing as chinks
They used the same armaments as late Ming armies(with the exception of the Manchu bow and an iron mask).

This thread is too interesting

> bump

I don't know much but I can say this.
>capital falls to peasant revolt
>emperor cornmits suicide
>sum1 pl0x help
>Manchus move in an kill the peasants
>"by the way, all the land we walked through to get here as well as the capital, were keeping that now
>military can't do shit so they let it happen
>enter Qing dynasty

badass

Bump out of shared curiosity

I need to see this

it wasnt very detailed but its the highest resolution i can find

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Banners#/media/File:The_Grand_Review_-_No.3_-_Reviewing_Battle_Formation_cropped_center.jpg

> Dynasty started when an illiterate beggar-monk turned warlord somehow simultaneously beat the Mongol in the north and other competing warlords in the south. With foot-slogging peasants.
> The peasants even invaded Korea for a while, but beaten back,
> Second Ming emperor was alright, but the third Emperor inherited by force in a massive civil war.
> Eunuch-Admiral Cheng Ho and Treasure Voyages. Briefly attacked Sri Lanka in the process.
> Conquered Vietnam for a while, but Vietnam eventually shook off Ming control.
> Five military campaign against the Mongols.
> Almost fought a war with fucking Tamerlane. But Tamerlane died before reaching China.

> After third emperor died, Ming started to weaken.
> Tumu crisis, Mongol captured the sixth emperor and almost reconquered China.
> Chinese said fuck it and just put the seventh emperor to the throne.
> Use water to froze over Beijing wall (was winter) to repel Mongols.
> The sixth emperor, after he was released by the Mongols, launched a coup and expelled the seventh emperor. So he became the EIGHTH emperor. Somehow.

> Ming continued to weaken.
> Too many rebellions and unrest to list.
> Portuguese showed up, causing trouble. Got beaten, eventually settled at Macau and began trade. Chinese acquired European tech.
> Japanese pirates showed up en masse, causing A LOT of troubles. Took about thirty years to suppress (but never completely eradicate).
> DEADLIEST EARTHQUAKE in human history.
> Imjin war.
> Around the same time of Imjin war, a Mongol rebellion.
> At the same time of Imjin war, another FUCKHUEG Miao rebellion (larger than Imjin war actually, Ming mobilized three times the numbers they sent to Korea).
> At the same time of Imjin war and rebellions, another border wars with Burma/Myanmar.

>Spanish showed up in Philippines. Got into contact with Ming due to joint operation to capture pirate Limahong (that attacked and burned Manila to the ground, and then got away with it).

> Rise of Jurchen (Manchu).
> Dutch showed up causing trouble. Got scared away (by trash talk, literally).
> Dutch tried to attack Portuguese at Macau. Got beaten (by Jesuit priests and drunken black slaves, no less).
>Resettled at Taiwan, continued causing trouble. Got beaten. CONTINUED causing troulbe. Got beaten AGAIN.

> Little ice age.
> Massive famine and rebellions.
> Economy meltdown.
> Battle of Sarhu, Jurchen rolled over Chinese.
> Chinese began importing European cannons. Then defectors brought the tech to the Jurchens/Manchu. Manchu IMPROVED the tech and overtaking Chinese. Oops.

>Imploded from within after a peasant revolt conquered Beijing. Then Manchu killed of the rebels.
> Qing Dynasty!

> Southern Ming a.k.a. Ming loyalists.
> Continued to resist Qing Dynasty.
> Despite having a common enemy, different branches of Ming loyalists only maintained nominal alliance and tend to backstab each others at times.

> Major players included Koxinga, son of a pirate that beat the Dutch and conquered Taiwan.
> And Li Dingguo, ex-peasant rebel-turned-loyalist. This dude fucked with the Qing several times, With WAR ELEPHANTS! But he keep getting betrayed by his allies and/or subordinates. Poor dude.
> Eventually retreated to Myanmar with the last Ming emperor. Died there.
> Qing sent out a expeditionary force and forced the Myanmar king to hand out the Chinese emperor. Strangled the emperor to death.
> Kokang people that live in Myanmar to this day are the descendants of his army.

> Revolt of the Three feudatories. Defectors from Ming to Qing and Ming loyalists launched a final revolt and overtook half of China.
> Still got rekt.
> Qing conquered Taiwan and consolidated rule.
> The end.

Bump

Equipment differed wildly based on the geographical region, but generally:

North China: Horses. Sabres. Bows everywhere. Lances. Tridents. Quarterstaffs. War wagons.

South China: Pikes. Less bow than North but still common. Little bit of crossbows. Sword+shield+javelin. Tridents. Bamboo-spear-branches-thing. Some Zhanmadaos and other exotic polearms.

This was mid-late Ming. For early Ming, almost everyone was either a pikeman, an archer, both at the same time, or sword+shieldman.

After all, they had to fight the Mongol horsemen with only footsloggers.

>What was the average infantry's gear?
There's no such thing as "average" in regards to the Ming.

Armaments would vary drastically depending on what the government supplied,local corruption or the clime.

e.g. Southern wei suo garrison wore felt hats and plainclothes,occasionally donning a surcoat while somewhere like the Imperial garrisons used a red laquered leather/metal helmet and brigandine armor secured with a sash.

Did you mean the rise of Yongle? I thought it was more of a coup than a civil war (Jingnan campaign)

Yes. Jingnan campaign was a civil war though.

The ming seemed to have a very interesting military system. They had a lot of bad luck though. with mongols and manchus to the north and Japanese to the south they were constantly having to fight back raids and invasions.

True, it was, but Jianwen should have seen that coming when the first thing he does as emperor was to purge all of his uncles.

Not to say that Yongle was totally in the right though, but he was out of time (there's only so many time you can pretend you're crazy and get away with it)

Wait. They used lances and tridents? Were these invented without Western influence?

>They used lances and tridents?
The English terms are just translations of Chinese weapons i.e. spear/pike for Qiang.
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/04/xian-qiang.html
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/03/tang-ba.html

One of my main interests is Japanese marital art history. Chinese spearwork is of interest to me both because of its similarity to Japanese and it connection to various "internal" styles of martial arts.

Pardon my ignorance, but I assumed the Greeks invented the trident.

>Pardon my ignorance, but I assumed the Greeks invented the trident.
Wouldn't surprise me if this is an example of convergent evolution.

The Tang dynasty Modao both resembles the Awlpike but I wouldn't necessarily say one came from the other.

Lance is just a long pointy stick used by horseman, and trident is just long pointy stick with two prongs.

Those things are not exclusive to any cultures. Indian also have their trisulas.

That was moreso a product of interchabgeable of parts for mass production. When i was seeng museums in london you had guns that were aesthetic as fuck
Pic related ill post a few mor that i have

If Qing Dynasty is any indication, Chinese lanceheas has an triangular or even square crosssection, unsharpened except for the tip (thrust exclusive), and can have "blade" up to 1m long.

Basically a tuck/estoc/koncerz on a spear shaft, with the power of horse behind the thrust.

To my knowledge Japanese spear rarely, if ever, make use of slip-thrust, except the Owari-kan Ryu that uses Hoko-yari (the spear with a sliding tube).

On the other hand, Chinese spear is ALL about slip-thrust. I've never seen any other polearm-based martial arts that is sooooo focused on slip-thrust.

Do you mean a spiral thrust? my understanding is several styles of spearmanship in japan emphasized it.

Qing still used rockets much in the same way like Ming did, up until the Second Opium War, although by that time the technology had been surpassed by the Congreve rocket.

youtube.com/watch?v=RGjoOM9taYc

I mean this type of thrust, you thrust with your right hand, and let the spear slide through your left hand grip.

sliding the spear in your hand in that matter is the standard way to thrust in most japanese styles of sojutsu

youtube.com/watch?v=2AzmJ-Eqk5s&index=5&list=PLxwm4AZsPZ73e4bTq28KrgzIQpPrTH2U8

youtube.com/watch?v=wwuPAsh-N38

youtube.com/watch?v=AxtP8t-cIvI

Thanks for the videos. Learned something new today. Before this I've never seen any ryus (other than Owari-kan Ryu) do this explicitly.

Although like the first video it seems many Japanese spear traditions do not push it all the way to the end (until right hand touch left hand)

>iron mask

Any pics?

I believe that school emphasizes the pull back to make it harder to parry or get around the spear head.

True. Japanese also seems to push the left hand forward slightly during the slide (maybe to add more power to the thrust? I don't really understand the mechanic)

They also seems to use the butt end of the spear to trap/hit at the opponent quite a lot.

>Any pics?
None survive. Post 67 gives some translated quotes about Later Jin armaments.

historum.com/asian-history/121374-tang-army-vs-late-ming-army-7.html#post2617053

Indeed Koxinga's iron men, which copied Manchu armor design, also use iron masks.

For China's geographical size, their soldier's looks were actually highly uniform (by the standard of that period) due to the centralization.

Basically it's either a long coat or short vest.
(The coat/vest could be unarmored or armored, but the tailoring remained very consistent)

Troops, even militias, almost never went to battle in plain clothes.

>For China's geographical size, their soldier's looks were actually highly uniform (by the standard of that period) due to the centralization.
Nope.jpg.

Military COMMAND was centralized, there were standing armies, but there's a lot of room for local forces to be raised in times of emergencies.

I mean, wasn't Qi Jiguang famously told to build an army from scratch since the Mongol Border was priority and they couldnt be arsed with the pirate war?

I've long learned that if I want bonafide pictures of Chinese historic military equipment that is not Kung Fu/Wuxia/Vidyagame wank, I have to look for its name in Chinese.

Those images are from martial training manual and depicts soldier drilling in their plain clothing. That's NOT how they dressed when they went to war.

Qi Jiguang's troops were NOT militia. They were well-paid professionals.

Not taking sides, I know fuck-all about this, but when neither of you provides sources it's kinda just two people yelling "no, YOU'RE wrong" at each other.

I know, I wasn't concerned about clothing but more on organization.

His core, yes, professional, but during the pacification of the pirate campaign, he recruited and trained the help of a lot of local forces.

I mean it was a law enforcement operation to begin with: Chinese militias have long been part of such operations.

>For China's geographical size, their soldier's looks were actually highly uniform (by the standard of that period) due to the centralization.
Not necessarily,if you go through 《四鎮三關志》each individual garrison had a different proportion of stored helmets/armor.

Footwear was pretty standard(puttees and shoes or boots) but headwear can vary from cloth turbans,felt hats and metal/rattan/leather helmets.

>Basically it's either a long coat or short vest.
The sleeveless waistcoat/surcoat type clothing/armor was rather common,though there are variations where the entire arm is covered the material.

>Troops, even militias, almost never went to battle in plain clothes.
The shortened version of the round collar robe is rather mundane and shows up in various military texts.

Some of the anti pirate forces in《太平抗倭圖》are in plainclothes as well.

>Nope.jpg.
The initial anti pirate coastal force under Qi Jiguang isn't a good example as he didn't have many options to begin with.

By the time the Imjin War started those ex Qi Jiguang militias and southern mercenaries wore white headbands/turbans(depends on how you translate the original passage) sleeveless
cloth/paper surcoats.

To get a complete picture,you will most likely have to cross reference surviving armors from the Joseon/Qing dynasty.

Even then there's no extant examples of leather,paper or cotton armor.

Some of the modern renditions of Ming soldiers suffer from extrapolation(drawing the calico backing on this armor as mail).

Qi Jiguang actually requested/volunteered to raise a 100,000 strong army to defend the Northern borders against Mongol. The plan got shot down.

He did get to organize boot camps to train existing troops though.

>Not necessarily,if you go through 《四鎮三關志》each individual garrison had a different proportion of stored helmets/armor.

True, but no matter the proportion, those armors are either long coats or short vest, i.e. follow similar tailoring.

Btw, what is 《太平抗倭圖》?

I dunno m8 I just posted a picture from the wu bei yao lue (武備要略) which was from the Ming Period.

>True, but no matter the proportion, those armors are either long coats or short vest, i.e. follow similar tailoring.
I'm just being pedantic but the northern garrisons were known to use mail and there are variations of cotton and brigandine armor that offer full arm protection.

Granted,the manual only shows a single suit of lamellar in that fits into your description. Either way some garrisons were more armored than others.

>《太平抗倭圖》
A Ming era painting depicting the 1552 Wokou raids against Taiping city(modern day Wenling).

The Wokou in the painting also resemble their Chinese counterparts.

Arqubusiers with felt hats? and coats are on the left,soldiers with turbans and scarves on the right.

>I dunno m8 I just posted a picture from the wu bei yao lue (武備要略) which was from the Ming Period.
All I'm saying is that sometimes modern sources add extraneous details that the original lacks.

B, but... militias wore uniform, too.

I understand that their outfit was certainly not COMPLETELY uniform, and there's many non-standard armors, but given the size of China the uniformity in their troops was quite high.

In fact, I personally feels that it is kinda dull to look at due to the uniformity.

I know the bodyguards of the Ming Emperor, the Jinyiwei (or the "Brocade Clad Guard") were more than bodyguards.

They also were the CIA of Ming China and handled intelligence. During Yongle's time they were a feared secret police force who mercilessly rooted out dissent and talks of rebellion.

You posted Imperial Guard infantry of the 1500s. Those would be uniform as would any standing army in China would be.

Indeed. And the European painting came from Triumphs of Maximilian and depicts Holy Roman Emperor's Procession. Which makes them fairly comparable

(as both are paintings about emperor and his armed followers)

>Lama Pabordorji, I'm Jinyiwei.

but given the size of China the uniformity in their troops was quite high.
They were probably more uniform on a local level not a national one.

The standardized armaments Jiajing/Wanli era Imperial guards you linked are only applicable to those individuals.

The Ming were far more diverse(compared to Japanese armies) in regards to everything except footwear.

Chinese Gung fu was also a major influence on many edo period martial arts. Not so much the technqiues which were modifications of what was already done in Japan. But things like the methods of breathing, and body organization

kashima-shinryu.jp/English/i_historical_fact.html

Ogasawara Genshinsai’s secular name was Kazusa. Circumstances caused him to go to China, where he discovered that the spear techniques of Zhang Liang were being handed down.[5] [By studying these spear techniques] He learned principles that had never been a part of Japanese hyôhô (warrior arts), and [based on these] he also discovered an aspect of hyôhô called hassun no nobegane Ȭ���α䤬��. This [hassun no nobegane] surpassed all previous [hyôhô]. It was not part of the hyôhô taught by Kiichi Hôgen and had never been witnessed by Kamiizumi Ise-no-kami.[6] He now felt confident that he was without equal in Japan.

After Genshinsai returned to Japan, he tested his innovation by facing off against his former classmate Hikita Bungorô.[7] Although Hikita had been fully certified in the teachings of Kamiizumi Ise-no-kami, Hikita could not move even one step from where he stood. He could only sigh deeply in utter astonishment at this marvel.

There are several other prominent styles whose founder was said to have trained either in china or with a china man, such as the kito ryu, and the yoshin ryu. these styles went on to permeate the edo era martial arts scene.

If you want to learn more about this go find sanshou schools, they have condensed all the martial arts stuff in china's history into a military used and trainable form

Also, this blog

>After all, they had to fight the Mongol horsemen with only footsloggers.
Was cavalry a blind spot for the Chinese armies the same way it was for the Romans?

not really, but dynasties always suck near their end, barbarians invasions usually predate

Actually, china under the CCP right now is incredibly strong, they have the greatest chance right now to be a superpower

They had a lot of folks with firearms, then they got rek't by horse fuckers using traditional weapons.

Granted Koxinga died stark raving made from syphilis and the Dutch shot the entire Ming navy to shit with 20 or so ships.

>Triumphs of Maximilian and depicts Holy Roman Emperor's Procession

It contains quite a few fantasy items and other stuff that shouts pseudo-roman. Granted the landsknecht generally look okay.

>They had a lot of folks with firearms, then they got rek't by horse fuckers using traditional weapons.
Only at Sarhu.

When Manchus invaded China proper, they too had loads of firearms: from ex-Ming generals who defected when the dynasty fell to the Shun Rebels and the general chaos.

>Dutch shot the entire Ming navy to shit with 20 or so ships.
Wasn't this where the Ming fleet was burned at port?

Granted that Sarhu was a pretty big loss.

I recall reading something about Portuguese African slave gunners being used by the Ming with great success.

No during the Southern Ming.

The Dutch East India Company tried to gain goodwill with the Qing so they basically offered to destroy the entire Ming navy of several hundred ships, which they did rather marvelous and in full view of several Qing officials.

Somehow this didn't register with the latter as some sort of possible threat or incentive to built up their own navy.

I think most Ming military paintings show equipment similar to the imperial guards. I've seen a painting with Ming cavalry, and another with infantry. All of them are wearing either long coat or vest.

Coloring are different, though.

Depending of the dynasty. N&S Dynasties and Tang had very powerful cavalry. Song was terrible.

Ming was somewhere in between. They had really powerful one, and terrible one too.

When the Chinese expelled the Mongol Yuan, they were mostly peasant rebels with limited access to cavalry. Zhu Yuanzhang (founder of Ming Dynasty) divided his army into two part, he send his cavalry to deal with other warlords at the South (which also did not have much cavalry), and send his infantry to the North to attack Mongol, simultaneously.

In 1663? That was Kingdom of Tungning (Taiwan)'s fleet. I guess you can still call it Ming's fleet, but those are essentially what's left after Koxinga's death, and a brief power struggle that put Zheng Jing (Koxinga's son) to the top.

Plus Zheng Jing's paranoia fuckups forced many capable naval generals to betray him and surrender to the Qing. These ex-Tungning generals knew his naval defense inside out, actively worked with the Qing & Dutch, and actually brought their own fleet when they surrendered to Qing.

So Zheng Jing is fucked with or without the Dutch.

Plus Tungning lost grand a total of 3 ships (all captured) in that battle. Their fleet was "scattered", not destroyed. Most made it back to Taiwan.

I really don't think modern sanshou has much to do with 16th century chinese spear fighting.

Sanshou is just Chinese MMA, or in some arts a term for sparring. and while some people in sanshou play with the internal arts and qi gung its not a major part of it.

What book/article is that, by the way? I've seen screencaps of it before on Veeky Forums. and am a bit curious as to what exactly it is.

Probably one of the books by Tonio Andrade.

Nah, Koxinga died from malaria, and his stark raving madness was at least partially caused/made worse by his fuckup son (Zheng jing) that had an affair with the wet nurse of Koxinga's brother.

Japanese army were more uniform in the sense that they are more on less one people, while China has various groups of ethnic minorities.

However, Japanese feudal system means that each daimyos raised, funded and equipped their own troops. So when a powerful warlord raised a large army, all of his vassals (lesser daimyos) brought their own troops with them. The large army basically had zero standardization.

In fact, you can have well-drilled armored ashigarus and peasant rabbles working in the same army.

China (Ming) on the other hand had a standing army that was managed under a centralized system, and even militias and irregulars tend to acquire their gear from the same arsenal that provided for regular troops, so there's relatively high uniformity.

That's not to say they were as uniform as a Napoleonic army though.

>while China has various groups of ethnic minorities.
Tusi auxiliaries had some exotic equipment but by in large used the same armaments.

The Lang Bing had some regional preferences such as this specific lacquered leather armor(metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/658575) crossbows,swallowtail shields and hooks. greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/04/famous-military-unit-lang-bing.html

Equipment made from leather,rattan,cotton etc. were shared with other southern coastal militias/mercenaries(see 《抗倭圖卷》 and 《倭寇圖卷》for a mix of Lang Bing,Tusi contingents from Huguang and coastal marines/militias).

>The large army basically had zero standardization.
The difference would be that the Chinese had far more variety than the Japanese.

Leather/metal jingasa vs Wangjin(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wangjin) with a headband,headscarves,futou turbans(with an internal attachment to reinforce the topknot),felt hats derived from Northern Song or Turco-Mongol traditions,rattan helmets,cabbaset,kettle or bowl shaped metal helmets with various decor.

>China (Ming) on the other hand had a standing army that was managed under a centralized system
Not necessarily,the late Ming was characterized by the rise of paid mercenaries who supplanted the hereditary garrisons.

Even the usage of helmet decor,scarves,cummerbunds and cloth badges would depend on the local garrison or the artisans available.

This isn't even getting into private retinues.

>The Dutch East India Company tried to gain goodwill with the Qing so they basically offered to destroy the entire Ming navy of several hundred ships, which they did rather marvelous and in full view of several Qing officials.

In retrospect the Dutch VOC made an exceedingly stupid move there. They made an alliance with the Qing to retake Taiwan, and mobilized one of the largest fleet in VOC's history. And they helped the Qing to retake Kinmen and Xiamen.

However, for all their effort:
1) Most of the Tungning fleet managed to retreat to safety.
2) And they managed to kill a Qing admiral in the process.
3) Xiamen and Kinmen fall into Qing hands, not Dutch hands. The Dutch gained nothing from it.
4) Qing did not fulfill their side of the bargain and did not attack Taiwan immediately.
5) The Dutch was forced to attack Taiwan alone and managed to recapture Keelung, there they entered a standoff with Tungning's force.

6) And THEN Qing enforced their version of sea ban/Maritime Trade ban, essentially making Keelung lose its function as a trading port.

All in all they lose 8,0000 Dutch Guilders (plus some ships lost to storm) and gained fuck-all. Most of these money were spend on maintaining the practically useless Keelung...which the Dutch later demolished when the economic loss was too great and they decided to give up.