Titanic sank exactly 107 years ago tomorrow

>Largest ship in the world at launch
>Carried some of the richest people in the world at the time
>More than 1500 people die during the sinking
>Worst marine disaster in history for a passenger liner
>Wreck is being eaten away by bacteria
>Superstructure is starting to collapse
>Stern Section is little more than a rubble heap already
>Soon there's just going to be a rust colored stain on the sea which marks where one of the greatest liners in the world rested

Why does time chip away at everything ;_;

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rs9w5bgtJC8
youtube.com/watch?v=y3d1WWeBK0A
youtube.com/watch?v=7zrpXo7GQcs
youtube.com/watch?v=OMO8xaylvOc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also, Titanic general I guess seeing as the Anniversary is coming up.

Nature reigns supreme, you you industrialist bourgeois swine! All must wither and eventually be crushed by her great hands.

Good and evil are meaningless when time kills all.

>Why does time chip away at everything ;_;
One day the entire universe will be dead.

I dunno why but look at this meme

Right on!

>Why does time chip away at everything
Absolutely nothing is permanent, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Keep a record and move on, it makes room for new shit.

Say, that's a pretty good meme!

I heard that the titanic and the iceberg played football in a brief truce before she sank

I like letting this run in the background sometimes

youtube.com/watch?v=rs9w5bgtJC8

To all the people who are going to come into this thread and say "If they rammed right into the iceberg it wouldn't have sunk!".

Yeah just don't. They wanted to avoid it entirely if they could which is why they didn't. It would have totally smashed up the front of the ship and wouldn't have worked other than the entire ship might not have sunk.

What are some incredibly preserved shipwrecks? Both the ones still underwater and the ones they raised.

The Britannic is still in pretty good shape.

Nature ain't got shit on humanity.

Similarly we ain't got shit on nature.

Can't destroy yourself after all.

>ice((((((((((((berg)))))))))))

Ice can't melt steel hulls!

Fire is one of the things that helped to make him fall

Vasa

Anyone else been catching the Titanic: Honor and Glory podcasts this week?

The "Clearing their Names" podcast is my favorite so far: youtube.com/watch?v=y3d1WWeBK0A

despite the

>echo

First, the fire /second the problem with building it and this iceberg

>((((boulder)))
What did he mean by this?

I can't believe I watched this whole thing.

>the part at the end where they start the screams

god damn

This makes me realize we really need to find the USS Hornet and USS Helena.

Friendly reminder that (((they))) did it

>time kills all

Not plastic.

made this for /tv/

>forgetting plastic-eating bacteria

>tfw the Yamato won't make it to 2199

RIP in pieces Space Hotel Yamato.

Entropy consumes us all and life exerlates it.

Some of the survivor stories from the Titanic are pretty interesting.

Like the ship's chief baker kept slowly drinking whiskey throughout the night as the ship sank. When the ship finally breaks up and goes down he is right there on the stern and steps off as it goes under. He was swimming in the freezing water for over two hours until the sun came up and he made it to one of the collapsible boats. Apparently the whiskey allowed him to stave off hypothermia.

When does it hit the iceberg?!

This one didn't sink, it was buried;

It was probably the alcohol and the fact he was a fat bastard that kept him comfortable enough to keep swimming (while everyone else was clinging to debris or just floating and not exerting themselves), therefore keeping his core body temperature up, preventing him losing consciousness, and dying from hypothermia.

Fucking Jews

Can't keep getting away with it

HMS Mary Rose is fairly intact for a 500 year old wooden ship, although half the ship was crushed when she capsized.

There was the wreck of the SS America in the Canary Islands, but the wreck's effectively disintegrated.

pic related this is her in 2004

10 years later

>2017 - 1912 = 107
Something doesn't add up

salt water is a hell of a drug

You mean iron bacteria

>mfw they isolated a new species of halomonas from the titanic

It was actually the waves that destroyed the America. Just kept tugging at the ship, ripping off piece by piece. Most of the metal that made up the ship is still there, it's just a pile of steel lying just under the surface though.

I always loved these paintings as a kid, they looked so real to me.

Should we spend gigabux to raise the remains and put them in a museum?

can some1 explain to me why i should care about the titanic

my grandpa corresponded with a lot of the survivors and owns a large bookshelf dedicated to titanic stuff and a piece of the titanic and did presentations on it and so on and so on. spent years collecting stuff and i have no idea how it could be so interesting

that's because you are minus-ing

Hurrrr history board why should I care about history it's not interesting

It was sunk on orders of the Admiralty as a last ditch effort to control a zombie outbreak. really.

THE FEDERAL BANK DID 4/14

WAKE UP STEERAGE

THE (((BERGS))) ARE PLAYING YOU

CAPTAIN SMITH IS A MUSLIM AND I HAVE PROOF

youtube.com/watch?v=7zrpXo7GQcs

Thoughts on this video?

Interesting. I never thought much about the fashions people might have worn on the ship, especially during the sinking. I like that this team seems to be going all out for the game. They are even in talks to have Margaret Brown's great-great-grandaughter voice her.

>reading comments for this and other videos
>comments in the livestreams

Holy fuck people are giant whiners, aren't they?

What is the current state of the wreck today? Is it still relatively intact? I remember reading that it would have been disintegrated by 2012, but I haven't seen anything else on it.

Pic related, a newly leak censored of so called "ice((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((berg)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) penetrating the hull of the titanic

It's still there, but only the stern. Wikipedia has an approximate of the year it'll finally collapse. It's sad, thinking about all those lives lost, the bodies which will be below the iron forever.

Fukken lol but it should be turned on it's side

the bodies are long gone

Still the best Titanic film

(except for the shower scene)

all I remember about this is Catherine Zeta Jones getting pissed on the Carpathia at an old lady with her dog

and for some reason I'll always remember the way she says

>Your DOG?

Titanic 105 - "Real-Time Sinking" on stream

visit pearl harbor if you ever end up on the Hawaiian islands. it's pretty fucking sobering to look out on the harbor and think of the some 1500 skeletons deep down in the bowels of their decaying ships.

there's a museum on site, but the harbor itself is officially a military cemetery.

also, prerepare to be surprised to find yourself surrounded by more Japanese tourists than Americans. It very nearly pissed me off, but then I was thinking, this is how the Japanese must feel when American tourists visit the memorials in Hiroshima and Nagasaki or the fact that we still have military bases on their sacred soil.

Comparing the comments this year versus last year's comments is fucking depressing. No wonder they just ignore the comments at this point. Wish they still used that non-Youtube platform for their major livestreams.

>tfw I realized today I'm older than Officer Moody when he died
>same with a bunch of other crew

the fuck

>them shit-talking Lowe

yesssssss

Poor bastard never got to finish his tea. Murdoch spilled it all over the deck.

>tfw the real Moody looks like Neville Longbottom

Why didn't he use his magic to prevent the collision?!

that face
contorted in terror
bleeding from bumps and scrapes he endured in the sinking and struggle in the water
calling for help
brain too terrified to do much rationally
thinking of his family as his body shuts down
gradually succumbing to hypothermia
his body is carried away
decomposing
eaten by birds and sharks

I wonder if such a detailed simulation with ever exist in the future for 9/11.
Both are extremely interesting events where human action saved many lives and where the structures managed to hold on long enough to save people.

At least the Japanese tourists are respectful. At least they were when I visited the Harbor.
It's crazy to image such a sunny place darkened by columns of smoke, blue waters turned black with oil or even burning and full of men. Watching a restored video of the Arizona exploding is crazy.

>getting pissed off for no reason. Especially when most are respectful.

Isn't the Bismarck also in decent shape?

Most of her hull is, the stern's ripped off.
A lot of the actual components that made her a battleship are gone. Either destroyed in the battle or when she capsized.
The gun turrets, the conning tower, fire directors.

I think the most intact large wreck I know of is the USS Yorktown. She's pretty much just sitting on the sea floor with a sight list.

That's a good thing, we must always remember to never let Masonic leaders drag their countries into war, especially European feudal wars.

What about the ships at the Truk islands? Like the Katori

More like teach military leaders not to commit to unwinnable battles and wars.
The entire Japanese military system was so corrupt and fucked up that a top Admiral said war with the US was impossible to win and he was told "Too bad, get to planning."

>Most of her hull is, the stern's ripped off.

The last 50 feet of the ship were not part of the armored core and were still filled with air when the ship capsized so it just imploded as it was dragged further down.

>A lot of the actual components that made her a battleship are gone. Either destroyed in the battle or when she capsized.
The turrets fell out almost as soon as the ship capsized and the superstructure (both of them were only held by gravity) was ripped off by the flow of the water. James Cameron found most of the turrets and the admiral's bridge largely intact, but upside down a few miles from the main wreck.

Another interesting wreck is the HMS Victoria. Can't find any decent images of her wreck, but she's stuck halfway into the sea floor with her stern pointing vertical.

I wonder how long those still trapped in air pockets in the lower decks survived. Were any of them still alive when the ship impacted on the the sea floor 10-15 minutes later?

If they were, it must've been absolutely horrifying to realize you were miles below the surface with no possible hope of escape.

It is amazing how intact Yorktown is for a treaty carrier that wasn't meant to take so much damage.

I just got a real fucking weird feeling in my bones when I read this. Shit.

Not likely given the incredible pressure the deeper it sank, if a pocket did somehow manage to stay intact until crush depth the implosion would've been sudden and instantly fatal. This is also unlikely as the survivors were scuttling the ship, they'd have left everything open to facilitate it.

This did happen to some submarines, though they bottomed out above their crush depth. The Russian nuclear submarine Kursk sank in 2000 and some of the crew may have survived as much as three days after the disaster.

pissed wasn't the right word to use. I was more taken aback, and yes, most are respectful, but there were indeed a few Japanese tourists that were obviously inebriated, others that spoke very loudly and snapped pics like crazy, which in my view, is disrespectful when at a site designated a cemetery. sure, take a picture or a few and whisper among yourselves, but you need to honor the dead, especially when they are trapped in destroyed ships with no chance for a proper burial by their families.

it's not even a tourist attraction, it's the site of an atrocity open soley for people to educate themselves and pay their repect to those deceased. I don't know how other people were raised, but at every military or civilian cemetery I've been to, it's proper conduct to remain as silent and respectful as possible.

Well since the ship was a steel reinforced monstrosity, I imagine some of the air pocket deep within the hull might've remained intact for at least the first few minutes. Of course the impact on the sea floor would've killed anyone who was still alive by that point.

>a Boat load of rich people died because of """"iceberg"""" collision
>Their money is in the bank
>Bank is own by Berg people
Coincidence?

not what i said retard

there's a difference between caring about the collapse of the roman empire or 9/11 or whatnot and a ship contingently sinking

Hurrrrr why does anyone care about this area of history I can't figure it out aduppp

>tfw no good Titanic model kits

I had like three of them but lost all of them

Hitler sank the titanic

Not incredibly preserved but still interesting, in New Caledonia there's the wreck of an ore carrier converter liberty ship named Ever Prosperity which stranded in 1965 on the coral reef.

The interesting part is that 5 years later, in 1970, another ore carrier liberty ship also named Ever Prosperity, from the same South Korean company, commanded by the same South Korean captain did the same a few miles north.
I've yet to know if the captain kept his job after that.

>I've yet to know if the captain kept his job after that.

Why wouldn't he? The blame clearly lies with whoever was naming the ships.

>2,710 Liberty Ships built
>2,400 survived the war
>3 are still in existence today

Us norwegians still laught about it to this day

Jesus dude

True that naming a ship Ever Prosperity is the same as naming it Unsinkable, you're asking for shit to happen.

It's gravity and his brother time that turn rocks to pebbles

nice argument retard

i recognise that bulge!

All three of these are false.