What the F*CK was their problem?!?

what the F*CK was their problem?!?

Venice just did what they had to do in order to survive.

(((Venice)))

Someone post the pasta.

Venice is evil naturally, as was France, the latter being the original bad guy in the continent, this fact is often forgotten in the modern era

>Pope Julius II, intending to curb Venetian influence in northern Italy, had created the League of Cambrai, an anti-Venetian alliance consisting of himself, Louis XII of France, Ferdinand II of Aragon and Maximilian I, the Holy Roman Emperor. Although the League was initially successful, friction between Julius and Louis caused it to collapse by 1510; Julius then allied himself with Venice against France.

>The Veneto–Papal alliance eventually expanded into the Holy League, which drove the French from Italy in 1512; disagreements about the division of the spoils, however, led Venice to abandon the alliance in favor of one with France. Under the leadership of Francis I, who had succeeded Louis to the throne, the French and Venetians would, through victory at Marignano in 1515, regain the territory they had lost; the treaties of Noyon and Brussels, which ended the war the next year, would essentially return the map of Italy to the status quo of 1508.

>the latter being the original bad guy in the continent,

the only actually evil guys in europe are/were

>anglos
>germanistanis
>t*rks

"Nigga we on the same side?"
"Nigga idk"

Wars in Renaissance Italy are much more economic in execution than military. Venice and the other Italian Republics don't field professional militaries but instead hire Condottieri, or career mercenaries to fight their battles for them.

With armies being hired guns, all sides of a conflict would just attempt to bribe the other's army into either defecting or just abandoning their contract, causing the city-state republics to either renegotiate or surrender.

In the end, France ended up winning the bribe wars and brought Venice to their side.

what was weird was how England and Scotland went to war over this

they bribed Scotland into joining the war in order to distract England

The Eternal Venetian strikes again.

from the article:

>Pope Julius II, intending to curb Venetian influence in northern Italy, had created the League of Cambrai, an anti-Venetian alliance consisting of himself, Louis XII of France, Ferdinand II of Aragon and Maximilian I, the Holy Roman Emperor. Although the League was initially successful, friction between Julius and Louis caused it to collapse by 1510; Julius then allied himself with Venice against France.

The Veneto–Papal alliance eventually expanded into the Holy League, which drove the French from Italy in 1512; disagreements about the division of the spoils, however, led Venice to abandon the alliance in favor of one with France. Under the leadership of Francis I, who had succeeded Louis to the throne, the French and Venetians would, through victory at Marignano in 1515, regain the territory they had lost; the treaties of Noyon and Brussels, which ended the war the next year, would essentially return the map of Italy to the status quo of 1508.

>disagreements about the division of the spoils, however, led Venice to abandon the alliance in favor of one with France.

So yeah Venice was bribed into switching sides for more loot.

the french were actually the trend setter on devious betrayal and diabolical manipulation of events, see everything Richelieu related

Venice dindu nuffin, the pope was the one at fault.

It should be mentioned that the HREmperor, fucking unreasonable moron that he was, considered basically the whole Veneto as spoils, in spite of being legimately allied land, just because it used to be under imperial control all the way back in Hohenstaufen times.
It's not so much a question of Venice being bribed, as a question of "change side or your own allies will conquer you".

>War of Cambrai
AKA: Julius and Maximilian do their best to one up each other in cuntness.

>So yeah Venice was bribed into switching sides for more loot.
I don't know if I'd call "preventing the emperor from stealing its allies' core lands" as "switching side for more loot". More like, "switching sides so as not to become loot yourself".

If I actually was going to make a top ten anime betrayal list, that theatrics shit would be around number four

The Auld Alliance meant that Scotland had to join France when England declared against them

Alliances are fucking webs

>Ireland never got it's own Alliance or Guarantee so England's just free to conquer the whole island

I mean I know there's a difference between Guaranteeing an old reasonably developed nation with an actual levee and a disjointed island of tribes but still, everyone just let England waltz in and take more land. Even if it was Irish, it was still more land

I think the issue was that Scotland was actually capable of being an absolute pain in England's arse, what with sharing a land border and having a relatively strong army, not to mention harbour to shelter french invading armies in. Ireland on the other hand would have been no better placed than France in attacking England, so it didn't really have any value.

Yeah, you have to realize that Julius II was very big on MUH TEMPORAL AUTHORITY and thus thought Venice (or anyone) having too much power in lands far away from Rome was an affront to papal authority so he invited foreign powers to march into Italy to try and get them to fuck up the Venetians. Didn't work though as, although Venice was known for its naval superiority, they did a pretty good job in hiring good condottieri for land fighting too.

>England and Spain on the same side

England's obsession about France meant they would join any coalition against France

Scotland's obsession about England meant they would join the other side

Happened plenty of times

Romania in 1848-1948 is no. 2 surely

>France
If they're not trying to fight you they're trying to fuck you. But they're probably trying to fight everyone. Will say something about Elan or Lingua Franca or how great their monarch Louis is (usually doesn't matter which one) or how great their republic is (usually doesn't matter which one)

>Spain
Wants gold, has Armada

>Ottomans
Claims to be Rome. Wants all the land everywhere, will not stop getting involved

>Papacy
Every war we're involved in is just, but only for our side. Yes I know we switch sides. That's why everyone else has to fight for us. And pay us to do it too. Yes God's plan is a complicated one. Look I'm not saying all of Italy should be ours, but we definitely need more Italian land. Don't worry if we ever lose someone will bail us out. God's plan involves losing sometimes. Because it does that's why. Don't look now but you've been excommunicated. You can't just excommunicate everyone sounds like something an excommunicated person would say

>Russians
You still win if you don't capitulate, it doesn't matter if you don't gain anything. The capital is a state of mind not a location. Manpower is just a number. Technology is a fad for the others to try out first. Scorched Earth is your friend. Empty land is just land is just land that can be double scorched. Remember: the best defence is a good offence.

>Germans
Massive wildcard. Like seriously they want to shake up the system. It doesn't even matter if they're the biggest power in Europe, they still want to shake up Europe. You will never stop Germans from trying to shake up Europe, only how they try to do it [spoiler]They're still doing it today[/spoiler]

>British
Oh fuck here they come to ruin our fun, no fuck off it's our spoils. You can't just legalise piracy, how the fuck do you justify that? Why the fuck are you everywhere? Why are all the natives drunk? Fuck off with the ships already! How about you fight me for real bro? Oh how fun another blockade

I ran out of characters before I could get to Venice, the PLC & Denmark but that's basically the European bad guy checklist. If there was a war in Europe it was 9/10 because one of these guys did this

Ah and the Dutch too. I forgot about their shit

mate are you autistic senpai lmao

always against France