What Caused the Black Death

So apparently the black rat didn't cause and perpetuate the black death. completely different from what I was taught forever ago. So what caused it. What perpetuated it all those years and why did it just disappear Veeky Forums what's the current meta?

Other urls found in this thread:

nbcnews.com/id/27556747/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/how-disease-can-wipe-out-entire-species/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think it was the ignorance and overall dirtiness or european cities that encouraged this plague

then why did the muslims in the east get hit nearly just as hard. jews too.

It spread from Asia and entered Europe via Italy.

Y. pestis is potentially one of the first examples of biological warfare in (recorded) history, when in 1347, plague victims were catapulted by the Mongols over the city walls of Caffa, a town currently known as Feodosiya located in Crimea. Infected inhabitants may have fled to Italy, thus spreading the Black Death to Europe, though this is likely only one of a few routes that could have brought the plague from the east.

Fleas my friend fleas. Fleas feed on infected people and animas. The rats are intermediaries,they carry the fleas which spread the bacteria. As the fleas feed on them, they get infected then the rat dies, as it dies the fleas try to find another source, if no other rats are in the vicinity they feed on other animals and eventually humans. Pretty tucking smart bacteria actually with one hell of a transmitting pattern

yea but current epidemiology that has reconstructed the form of y.pestis found in plague victims bodies indicate it was spread through the air via pneumonic action. a bird could have carried it. hell even frogs. also the entire Poland and Lithuania being uninfected because muh cats gets destroyed by that + new research showing genetic resistance was higher there. I mean could it have been a rat that started it sure it could have been any mammal or non even.

The Jews

Would it be possible for a virus to wipe out humanity, has there ever been a virus that wiped out an animal?

Yes but consider the following, which infected animal was most likely to board a ship and carry it to the other side of Europe? Indeed as it is bacterial and it infect rats that means it can infect a lot of other spices, however rats were present on board almost any ship, so that's how it spread so quickly and in different parts of Europe at the same time. That's why I think the rats are considered the main reason, not because it was exclusively transmitted by them

muslims and jews aren't hygienic either

viruses, or any disease really, don't usually completely drive populations extinct. they usually leave a couple of them lying around. since, you know, they need hosts to survive. if they kill all their hosts they die as well

nbcnews.com/id/27556747/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/how-disease-can-wipe-out-entire-species/

only article I can find on it. seems interesting

Superstition caused the Black Plague. Retarded Europeans saw cats as evil and associated with witchcraft so they killed them. Rats overpopulated the area and spread their disease.

Actually OP those researches you are mentioning are total bollocks. Indications in plague victim bodies are limited to bacterial DNA, and that DNA tells us that it really hasn't evolved all that much. You have to remember that there are more than a thousand cases each year reported with no less than 50 fatalities, there are plenty to oportunities to study its spread today.

Actually Pope Gregory IX declared that cats were 'diabolical creatures' lol

It was DA J00S.

But seriously, it was the right time, right place for the plague to spread, pandemics like this happen cyclically. We're actually do for one soon.

Fuck yes we are.

We need to find an alternative to anti-biotics or we're going to be right back in the days of dying from hangnails and abscessed teeth :/

They also began to stop taking baths regularly. People resort to crazy bullshit when everyone's dying in the streets.

Doesn't pneumonic plague have a mortality rate of 99%+?

>what caused the black death

I think he's caused more than just one user

As does septicemic. Getting your lungs or your blood infected by this shit is NOT GOOD even by plague standards.

We did have a few pandemics the last century, the Spanish Flu being the most noteworthy
Or you know, stop feeding animals antibiotics and using it for things like minor bacterial infections

animal feeding of antibiotics is already ilegal in europe since like the 90's
t. veterinarian in europe

Doesn't that mean it should have been bubonic plague as the mortality rate was lower for the plague that did struck Europe?
t.brainlet

Antibiotic resistance is spreading like mad.

My bro is a microbio nerd and he gets this thousand yard stare when he talks about the years to come.

yes, to bad Europe make up less than 10% of the globe's population

i'm pretty sure it's banned in places like australia and canada too
not sure about the us

80% of antibiotics use in the USA is for animals according to the wiki, 60% of this is antibiotics also used for humans
and it's still used in Europe, it's being phased out but it's still used to some extent

>and it's still used in Europe, it's being phased out but it's still used to some extent
as a growth additive? it's banned. i work with that shit son. they only use extensively for cows when they get tits infections