Give me the run down on Theodore Roosevelt

Give me the run down on Theodore Roosevelt.

He would have made a great Emperor

He was an awful and overrated man

Go on

/Thread

Top lad.

Great American....and a good friend.
>even though we've never met.

go back to bed JP.

Pretty badass but didn't he raise tax by like 90% or something?

nation needed to buy shit and build a canal.

yeah but he would kick your ass if you talked shit so everyone complied

Sounds alpha desu, got any badass quotes?

Ridiculously overrated by morons who think being a tough guy makes you a good president (in reality, it's probably more like the opposite).

So all that trust busting means nothing to you?

t. numale

TR is probably the only American president where his personality is why he is so famous/popular, not so much his policies. I think he's significant in that respects. He's easily the most interesting man to ever become President.

A quick rundown would be:
>born so weak and sickly he was not supposed to survive
>literally overcame this through fitness. boxing, mountain climbing, hiking, row boating etc. by the time he was in his teenage years he was very fit and had outgrown his asthma
>was a trained biologist, and was widely regarded by scientists of his time as a leading expert on large, north american mammals
>ranched, hunted extensively. was almost killed by a bull moose later in life
>quit a lucrative job as assistant secretary of the navy to serve on the front lines of the spanish-american war. personally killed a man in battle.
>read reportedly two to three books a day. wrote the definitive history of the american navy in the war of 1812 in his early 20s. spoke german and french fluently, and could read latin with some skill, along with a little greek
>basically invented the "frontier thesis" of american expansionism
>was arguably the most well traveled president of his time. visited asia, africa, south america and europe.
>explored an unexplored river in the amazon in his 50s

Any more questions on TR I would be happy to discuss. I've pretty much read everything on him.

>t. member of the Theodore Roosevelt Association

Terrible leader.

People like this make you really stop and think about your life.

what do you think of Edmund Norris' biographies? I read rise and really enjoyed it, got me into reading biographies. should I read the rest or do you recommend a different one?

go watch Birth of a Nation Woodrow.

You should definitely the rest. Edmund Morris's TR trilogy are probably the most well written bios out there, and are excellent specifically because they have a great insight into his personality. However, they're not the most academic books available.

A lot of scholars's favorite biography of TR is "Power and Responsibility: The Life and Times of Theodore Roosevelt" by William H. Harbaugh, which was written back in the 60s. I thought it was excellent as well but Morris is always just more enjoyable.

Regardless of one's opinions on his presidency, TR was undeniably one of the most motivated, overcoming men to ever live, considering his physical state as a child. Extremely educated and faced any challenge willingly. Cucks could probably nitpick that he was racist or some shit but he really wouldn't have been by the standards of that time.

Warmongering child

TRA user from above here. Roosevelt was very racist by our standards. He, as a scientist and believer in social Darwinism, believed in a racial hierarchy and that certain races were genetically superior to others.

That being said, Roosevelt did believe that members of lower races could overcome their low genetics through strength of character. He didn't go out of his way to personally discriminate against black people, as Woodrow Wilson did for example. This is why for instance he respected and dined with Booker T. Washington, to the outrage of the South.

Kek

thank you for the great answer. Will def read the rest

No prob.

There is a lot of good work on Roosevelt. Recently they're doing a lot more on his intellectual life instead of "TR was a BADASS" kind of stuff, which is definitely needed.

Bored at work lads if anyone wants to talk more about TR

>le big stick man

His is the father of American Progressivism and Interventionism in its modern sense.

Say what you will, but without him introducing this sort of philosophy, its hardly likely America would have survived to see the Twenty First century.

Most modern "muh reagan" guys hate him for this reason, but you're right the US would not have been a major world player without his influence. The US frankly never was sustainable with that Jeffersonian, de-centralized ideal.

Sounds like /ourguy/.