Why does French sounds/looks so weird compared to the rest of Romance languages...

Why does French sounds/looks so weird compared to the rest of Romance languages? Is it because of the Celtic or Germanic influence?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_language
webpages.ttu.edu/joseppri/oldfrench/oldest.html
webpages.ttu.edu/joseppri/oldfrench/saintleger.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ubGjasm63Y0
youtube.com/watch?v=s9YbICd43Mc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

romanian is closer to formal latin than italian actually
but italian is closer to vulgar latin

Protip: The Romans of the Late Empire spoke nothing like the Romans of the Early Republic. Languages change, it's not a case of "bastardisation" or "decline", it's just what languages do.

Except in the case of French, that "language" was caused by God to punish the world for rejecting him.

t. gypsy making up bullshit

One of the most immediately striking facts about French in comparison with its cognate languages is the radical nature of the phonological changes which the language has undergone, changes which clearly differentiate the langue d’oïl, and Francien in particular, from other forms of Romance. Four processes especially have contributed to this global effect: the evolution of the tonic vowel system and the very significant reduction of originally atonic vowels; a period of nasalisation and subsequent partial denasalisation of vowels preceding nasal consonants; the widespread palatalisation of many consonants in appropriate environments (which in turn affected the vowel system); and, more recently, the effacement of most unsupported final consonants and, for most speakers, of final /a/ also.

Portugese sounds so bizarre compared to other Romance languages. I can't even describe it, it's almost like some distant Slavic language.
He's not wrong. Romanian is basically 30% Latin. Italian is pure sermo vulgaris.

it follows some of the same patterns in french tho

Portuguese sounds like a racist Spaniard pretending to speak Russian.

You're a racist

Romanian is only 20% Latin and the rest are borrowed words from French. Fuck off gypsy.

the whole structure is based on formal latin
meanwhile all other romance languages are based on vulgar latin

On a side note how did a bunch of slavs end up speaking a Romance language?How did Romanian become a language? any evidence of dacian words ?

Go pickpocket some people instead of telling lies on the internet: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_language

>Eastern Romance languages, like the other branches of Romance languages, descend from Vulgar Latin, adopted in Dacia by a process of Romanization during early centuries AD.

>Romanian has preserved a part of the Latin declension, but whereas Latin had six cases, from a morphological viewpoint, Romanian has only five: the nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, and marginally the vocative. Romanian nouns also preserve the neuter gender, although instead of functioning as a separate gender with its own forms in adjectives, the Romanian neuter became a mixture of masculine and feminine. The verb morphology of Romanian has shown the same move towards a compound perfect and future tense as the other Romance languages. Compared with the other Romance languages, during its evolution, Romanian simplified the original Latin tense system in extreme ways,[33][unreliable source?] in particular the absence of sequence of tenses.

Is this picture trying to make English out to be romance?

Romanian grammar is the closest you can get to the original Latin grammar.

Not sure about the French thing but Romanian does have a big chunk of Slavic loanwords.
Dacians got virtually exitnct and their territory got repopulated by stationed Roman legionaries.

uh i read that on wikipedia too
guess i was wrong then

Sardinian is the closest language to Latin, gypsy. The one you speak comes from Vulgar Latin too. Fuck off.

French is the oldest Romance language it's normal that it sounds archaic

not archaic, in fact it's the one that evolved the most

Old French was very different compared to modern French though. I'm not sure how did it change so much. Can Frenchies even understand this?

Buona pulcella fut eulalia.
Bel auret corps bellezour anima
Voldrent la veintre li deo Inimi.
Voldrent la faire diaule seruir
Elle no'nt eskoltet les mals conselliers.
Qu'elle deo raneiet chi maent sus en ciel.
Ne por or ned argent ne paramenz.
Por manatce regiel ne preiement.
Niule cose non la pouret omque pleier.
La polle sempre non amast lo deo menestier.
E por o fut presentede maximiien.
Chi rex eret a cels dis soure pagiens
Il li enortet dont lei nonque chielt.
Qued elle fuiet lo nom christiien.
Ell'ent adunet lo suon element.
Melz sostendreiet les empedementz
Qu'elle perdesse sa virginitet.
Por o's furet morte a grand honestet
Enz enl fou lo getterent com arde tost.
Elle colpes non auret, por o no's coist.
A czo no's voldret concreidre li rex pagiens.
Ad une spede li roveret tolir lo chieef.
La domnizelle celle kose non contredist.
Volt lo seule lazsier si ruovet Krist.
In figure de colomb volat a ciel.
Tuit oram que por nos degnet preier.
Qued avuisset de nos Christus mercit
Post la mort et a lui nos laist venir
Par souue clementia.

French is far more closer to Latin than any other language, it is the purest Romance language actually while Italians is influenced by Ligurians, Lombards and Etruscans, and Spanish is influenced by Iberians and Goths, and Portuguese by Swabians.

I can

Bonne pucelle fut Eulalie
Good Virgin was Eulalia
Beau était son corps et son âme
Beautiful was her soul and her body

and so on

>implying English is a romance language

0/10

I'm french and i can understand every other line but it takes effort, and i still have no idea what the poem is all about

>and Portuguese by Swabians.
wat

Let's increase the difficulty.

This really doesn't look like French to me 2bh.

this is latin

If I didn't knew it was Old French I'd think it's Classical Latin.

I took it from here: webpages.ttu.edu/joseppri/oldfrench/oldest.html

First part is latin but French call still understand a bit

As for

For the love of God and for the Christian people and our common salvation,

here and now(note sure about this one),

when God / know and will be able to give me(note sure about this one)

If he save him / my brother Karl / and in danger(note sure about this one)

I'm not sure about the rest after that

Most of it is Latin. Sections of it are Old French and Old High German

The differentiation between old French and Latin isn't a clear line, this is different from the old French of the eleventh century for example

The whole text is in Latin except for the last part
"Pro deo amur" and so on is in VERY OLD FRENCH

"In Godes minna" and so on is in VERY OLD GERMAN

>it's Latin, it's not Old French!

Have you considered that Old French was closer to Latin?

dude old french was significantly different than latin
and i know how to speak latin

I'm checking some other texts and they look the same: webpages.ttu.edu/joseppri/oldfrench/saintleger.html

The image would be even better if it claimed English was an Altaic language.

probably because it's a historical account written by priests

That's not how linguistics works

French has been influenced by the gaulish pronounciation, and modern french is the french that used to be spoken in Paris, so it had less latin influence than the french spoken in southern France that was heavily latinised.

You can hear it in this video, the langues d'Oïl in the north (french is one of them) sound different from the langues d'Oc from the south : youtube.com/watch?v=ubGjasm63Y0

What about Portuguese?
I've watched some Yugo vids with subtitles, and tried CC out of curiosity and it auto generated Portuguese subs.
Why is it so similar to Serbo-Croatian, shouldn't Romanian be more like that, you know, because they border each other?

>Implying it's not more latin than germanic
Face the facts, Nigel

There may be some Slavic blood in them but The ancestors of the Romanians were Latinised Dacians. They fled for the hills after the chaos surrounding the great migrations which is why they retained the language (albeit with many Slavic influences, something that they worked on in a number of language reforms). I would say the survival of the Romance language in Eastern Europe relied on the fact that colonisation of higher elevated areas by the Slavs did not happen until later on and the fact that the Romanian highlanders were more numerous than, for example, the various plague-ravaged Illyrians or Danubians that were assimilated into the Slavic tribes that moved into the vacuum.

The fuck are you on about?

Only retards think lexicon is what makes a language be a part of a certain group.

Brazilian is more pleasing to hear than Portuguese Brazilian.

I don't notice much difference. They speak like fags too. Although this might be because they have a French and not Occitan accent.

It does, when we're talking about creoles and pidgins at least.

The memery about the English language needs to end though.

Romanian is the best Romance language.

fite me

the structure is still germanic and a bunch of those latin words aren't even used by the average lad

Romanians say 'da' instead of 'si' like Italians and Spaniards do which is closer to the Latin word for yes.

>French and Italian have 89% lexical similarity, 14% more than Spanish
>French is distant as fuck from Latin

Someone explain this shit to me.

It's not.

>one word

Meanwhile Italian and Romanian share 87% vocabulary.

Is this serious? I find Russian and other slavic languages awesome.
t. Brazillian

Is there any modern Romance language that could still in theory be considered a dialect of Vulgar or even Classical Latin, or is the divergence too great even in the most similar one? I mean something close enough where a sufficiently educated linguist might actually pause to consider it.

>Romanian language

arent they just Bulgarians and Serbs roleplaying as latins anyway

>and a bunch of those latin words aren't even used by the average lad

The words originating directly from Latin (in red) are indeed rarely used, but those originating from French (in blue) still utimately originate from Latin and are very commonly used

Fucking this, unless you really want to argue stuff like Japanese being a Sino-Tibetan language because 60% of the words in their dictionary of of Chinese origin.

Italian sounds like my uncle trying to coax me into a "massage".

French sounds like they were too arrogant to speak proper Latin so they just pronounced the first syllable and mumbled the rest until it become silent. Then throw in a couple hon hon hon nasals and voilà: French.

Spanish sounds like a party, very flamboyant and quixotic.

Portuguese sounds like a little kid speaking Spanish as weirdly as possible just to be obnoxious.

Romanian sounds like some kind of Tolkien orc-speak language.

English apparently sounds like the jibberish that Sims speak.

And what language do you speak?

Amurrican English

>>French and Italian have 89% lexical similarity, 14% more than Spanish
This isn't true.

Portuguese sounds like an incest baby of Spanish and Slovenian.

English is the greatest tongue on the Earth.

This is my firm belief.

There is no Latin word for "yes". Romans simply didn't use that. What there does exist is a bunch of expressions used to represent consent or positivity. Instead of asking yes or no questions, they for instance could ask "is it true that..." and the reply would be "it is true/false that..." or something else like "what you said is true/false".
The modern Romance words for yes are basically two groups, the "hoc de il" and the "sic". The first evolved into "oui" and "oc" in french and occitan. "Hoc de il" means "this" or "what was said", so you can see how it fit into the question. Basically a shortening of the original expression. However modern french obviously don't use it with that intent, they just say that one word to express "yes".
The "sic" on the other hand evolved into "si" in italian and spanish and "sim" in portuguese. "Sic" means "thus" or "so" which is used in a different way to express the consent one gives when saying "yes". Again this form in the modern romance languages isn't used in the same original meaning.

Sardinian probably.

Americans are so dumb

you're too modest, Humans are so dumb

This. Sardinian even has hard "c".

I'm French and understand most of it though it looks a lot more like Italian or Spanish to me

>English apparently sounds like the jibberish that Sims speak.
That would be dutch

Pour l'amour de Dieu et le peuple chrétien et notre salut commun, à partir de ce jour, que Dieu me donne le pouvoir de sauver, je sauverai mon frère Charles et l'aiderait en chaque chose etc..

No too hard to understand desu

Simlish is just jumbled words pronounced by native speakers of English
Of course it sounds like English and vice versa.
Dutch sounds nothing like simlish. Too many velar, uvular and glottal consonants.

I'll tell you what dutch sounds like! A man doing his level best to speak while holding back a rush of sick.

>Portuguese Brazilian
Do you mean Brazilian Portuguese?

It's readable you just don't understand it right away. Some parts take a couple of re-reads

am I the only one who remembers the international hit of the early 2000s in Romanian? (perhaps it was not popular in the USA)
It was something like Numa Numa Hey

It didnt sound bad.
btw, it seems they were Moldovan, not Romanian.

youtube.com/watch?v=s9YbICd43Mc

As usual the only informative post gets no replies.

On topic: European Portuguese is positively one of the ugliest and most awful sounding languages in all language groups let alone romance.

>Praises good post
>Immediately let's out the most opinionated garbage yet seen

And Romanian doesn't sound so bad at all. It sounds like Italian with Slavic and French borrow words. Their music is god-awful though, so anything sung to those tunes sounds equally bad.

>It sounds like Italian

No.

t. Italian

>romanian is closer to formal latin than italian actually
>but italian is closer to vulgar latin
neither of these statements is true.
the only way really that romanian is closer to "formal latin" is the fact that it still has cases, and even then they're noticeably different from latin. example: the nominative merged with the accusative, and the dative with the genitive. in addition, these cases aren't even distinguished on nouns without the definite article except for the feminine singular (at least it seems from research). the vocative is also super different from latin.

>italian is closer to vulgar latin
actually they're both pretty far devolved from vulgar latin. also you can't measure closeness to vulgar latin, since it could mean anything from just straight up informal latin from the classical period, to stuff like early variants of romance languages.

It kinda does but not really. There's some overlap tho.

T. Gyppo

Do any other ESLs here have an opinion on what English sounds like? I'm intrigued.

I'm the one who wrote that post and I'm portuguese.
You are a pleb.

Romanians are the only non-slavisised population of the Balkans. After Trajans conquest and extermination of the Dacians it was resettled and colonized by the the Romans, mainly former soldiers. As a result the country gained its name, Romance language, and distinct populace.

>t. gypsy making up bullshit
Romanians aren't Gypsies dumbass. Roma are Indians who migrated a thousand years ago, Romanians are native Europoors.

Te one thing I really hate with french is the mumbling/swallowing the last syllables.

I don't speak taco but I don't hear anything wrong with Spanish the way Arabic sounds wrong or French does the aforementioned swallowing. Italian seems to be anti-french in emphasizing or giving a little tilt to the last syllable.

>english
>latin
Taking a few words from the Normies doesn't change a language to a new family.

The grammar is much more similar to Germanic languages. Language families are somewhat arbitrary taxons anyway, even "Anglic" is considered a family.

> After Trajans conquest and extermination of the Dacians it was resettled and colonized by the the Romans

Jesus Christ what an absolute load of horseshit.

>extermination of the Dacians

This never happened. Ignoring the fact that no pre-modern people was capable of wiping out a people and culture to a man, Dacians still existed for centuries after the conquest. The entire area was settled by Slavs. The only difference between Romania and other parts of the Balkans is that in what had been Dacia Latin retained some level of privileged status so people did not change their language to Slavic as they did in other areas.

Fucking nationalists man.

Albanians and Greeks aren't Slavs either and the Balkans end at the Danube you absolute twat.

Half of that French is from Latin and half of that Latin is from Greek. What a moronic chart.

He's a fucking moron and you are hot on his trail.

>Language families are somewhat arbitrary taxons anyway,
Not ... really, dude. I mean, yes, in the sense that, for instance, it's an arbitrary call what counts as a subfamily or group of languages, and what's a single language with a range of dialects. But that's really just the same as saying "a language is a dialect with an army and a navy."

The fact that taxonomy is somewhat arbitrary has nothing to do with the fact that English is Germanic, though. And if, through some freak happenstance, English developed grammar exactly like a Romance language, it would remain a Germanic language.

Romanian history major here, ask me anything.