To mine or not to mine, that is the question

Hey Veeky Forums,

First got into GPU mining back at the BTC / LTC switch over point. Started getting back into it late last year when I found out that ETH was profitable to mine again. Once ETH started shooting up I snapped up cheap R9 290's and currently have 17 GPU's hashing away. I grossly underestimated the amount of heat the R9 290's would throw off, I used to mine on 7950's back in the day but the 290's are something else when it comes to heat. This has made my home office hotter than hell and my wife is giving me serious grief about it.

Now, here's my dilemma; should I go all in and hire a small unit/office to mine in, or should I just sell my cards? Prices have gone up so I'd probably make a small profit on them. My feeling is that with the difficulty ramping up and price volatility it'd be better to sell up now rather than spend more on setting up a new place to mine in.

Any advice/thoughts much appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

cryptocompare.com/mining/sapphire/radeon-rx-480-ethereum-mining/
forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/06/28/asus-launches-cryptocurrency-mining-graphics-cards-up-to-36-faster-hash-rates/#ca02012782a3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Find a place that you can rent cheaply and get some air blowing direct onto your cards. ETH isn't the only thing worth mining right now. ZCash and Sia are also viable. If you sell your cards, thats short term income, if you keep them and invest in keeping it going, thats long term income.

I'll bump. Good luck. Veeky Forums is about as useful at answering questions as any other board is so don't expect a lot.

idk, but here's a bump

Thank you for the replies. Haha, I'm not expecting too much from Veeky Forums, but you're the only people who might understand my GPU dilemma.

All cards at max hash do around 350 hash, currently earning around an ETH a week. So I think if I can find somewhere cheap enough with power and ethernet it could be viable.

Keep the cards sell the wife ! How much do you want per card though ?

I doubt I'd get very much for her, milage is very high and I've not maintened her as well as I should.

I got the cards for £150 each and they're now selling for around £200 each.

Get a new place to put your miners, if you still wanna sell them mail me at [email protected] I am interested

>Build a shed
>Make it really shitty looking like you are the poorest man that cant even afford a shovel
>Insert cards
>install AC
>Forget about it.

Pro tier
>Sell the land the shed sits on to a third party so your whore wife cant get it after the inevitable divorce.
>Add a flat over your mining operation to live in so you can make your exwife and her boyfriend, Tyrone, uncomfortable.
>Install a drive way and part your Lambo out front so your wife kills her self after Tyrone leaves her because she got knocked up with his nigger babies.
>Buy house back at auction for half what you payed for it
>Knock it down and build a garage to hold all your Lambos.

I want you as my life coach.

Ecли вopoвaть eлeткpичecтвo тo зaeбиcь!

I have looked, but no joy yet. I live in the south of England, pricey and packed to the brim with people who don't understand the joy's of GPU's.

Your email is saved, I'm feeling like, realistically, I'm going to have to part with them.

Alas, we live in a flat, no land to call my own. I trust you work as a high preformence consultant of some kind?

I know how to mine, and I love doing it... I just wish I were as skilled at finding somewhere to do it.

Pictured is the ETH network hash rate, as you can see it's followed the price. If the hash rate continues to climb but price does not then earnings will seriously suffer, I'm already earning less than I did a month ago.

I have a single RX 480.

Is it worth mining ETH classic?

The Rx 480 is a real beauty when it comes to mining, high hash rate, low power.

cryptocompare.com/mining/sapphire/radeon-rx-480-ethereum-mining/

And, at the moment, it'd still be more profitable to mine ETH than ETC.

Not him but I have a 470. How much of a difference is there?

Pretty much the same, very good mining card. So much so they released a special mining version of it:

forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/06/28/asus-launches-cryptocurrency-mining-graphics-cards-up-to-36-faster-hash-rates/#ca02012782a3

Cool, thanks user. I decided to mine ZEC since I finally learned how to properly make a .bat file. One last stupid(?) question: In the settings where you put your wallet as the username or whatever, will that automatically return my 'gains' to my actual wallet then?

you're literally retarded if you know about it but don't mine. Energy is horrendously expensive in Germany, and it's STILL profitable by a large margin.
The real question is how you're going to file your taxes and if you should register a business and related lodgings for it.

you should go around holding motivational seminars

Put this number in the username and it will send the ZEC to your wallet.

t1MoKdpvkFmGTeqjzxwNVb38m5gdUMBDAVS

Right, been doing that. Just checking. Thank you for being the only helpful person on Veeky Forums, user.

thanks user, you saved my gains this day

The question is do you think that GPU mining will remain profitable over the coming months?

if that is your question you should sack your cards right now before everyone jumps on this idea.
You may be able to rebuy them in 2 months for less.
Will the rebuy be better than what you would mine in the meantime? who knows.

That is the diliemma I'm facing. My feeling is that every GPU avalible is going to be put to work mining soon. Hashrates of anything worth mining are going to rocket, they already are. I could sell all my grear and make 25% profit. Or I could find somewhere cheap and keep mining.

I do like the idea of picking up cheap 290's or Rx 480's though.

You should probably dump anything that excels at mining etherium ahead of the POS switch.

This is a very good point. And ecompasses the entire R9 range. I don't thnk they're anywhere near as good with other coins, power hungry too.