Atheism

Is this true?

Other urls found in this thread:

samharris.org/podcast/item/ask-me-anything-1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

wouldnt that technically be misotheism

Most atheists in real life aren't like this. They don't obsess over Christianity, they mind their own business and act like normal people. It's the Reddit fags that give it a bad name and have that "edgy" attitude

God is fiction.

Does that make you feel better?

But I'm atheist and I love the Bible.

>Most atheists in real life aren't like this
Delusion

I love me some miso soup

eeeeh

its okay

Its not like references to the Christian God are inescapable in modern America whether you believe in him or not

We resent religion, dogma, and the clusterfuck of
political disingenuity and manipulation resulting from it.

Atheists don't typically "hate God." This is part of the disingenuity and manipulation I'm talking about. It's rhetorical horse shit, and a straw man.

Ergo, not true

No, athiests aren't limited to that guy

I hate god. AMA

wtf I love God now

This is the dumbest line of arguing from religious. Not as bad as quoting the bible as evidence but still bad.

>21% of Americans are aggressively atheist redditors

Somehow I doubt that.

reddit has been hostile to those types since like 2013. You really don't see them promoting their views on the internet anymore unless I am not on the right sites.

Atheists used to be common on Veeky Forums. What happened was redneck hicks got internet and all sites were flooded with religious newfags. Rabis internet atheists were more interested in making fun of religious types without opposition, not actually fighting them, so they quieted down.

I thought it was because athiesm started to become associated with "mainstream" nu-male leftists fedoras and redditors, and Veeky Forums being the contrarians they are started LARPing as Christians.

that comic isn't even a strawman, that would give the author too much credit
did some christfag just vomit words onto a page and think "THAT'LL SHOW THOSE DAMN DIRTY ATHEISTS!!!!"?

>and Veeky Forums being the contrarians they are started LARPing as Christians.
yep
same reason Veeky Forums moved to the right wing or you'll see fags on /v/ defending games everyone else hates
everyone is desperately trying to be more contrarian than everyone else

ANd Veeky Forums is a contrarian reaction against /pol/ which is a reaction against liberal democracy, which is a reaction against monarchy. We have ascended into meaninglessness.

welcome to the modern world

Stop progressing

>Most atheists in real life aren't like this.
You are delusional my man, if anything what you say is an exception to the rule
Atheism is a full fledge religion now

To some extent it is true... after all, atheism is illogical. What is logical is agnosticism skewing heavily towards atheism. But full 100% conviction that there is no God is illogical.
However, the phenomenon of religion-hating atheism is understandable. People who are full-on 100% atheists are generally people who suffered at the hands of a religious family/culture as kids, so they flipped into hating-religion mode. I can't blame them, really. Religion is a form of mental illness, and if I was unlucky enough to have grown up in a religious household or a heavily religious culture, and then lucky enough to have broken free of the brainwashing, I would be angry too.

if God is real why does weed grilled cheese taste so good?

it is funny how people will say "I'm an atheist" and then start talking about the anti-christ and the anunaki or whatever shit they believe in.

Honestly, I believe in the Basilisk and I love him.

Because I know he will torture you all in the end, Christians and atheists.

Yeah, no, dude.

Most atheists don't give a shit. Many don't even identify as "atheists" (or agnostics). Surveys consistently get different numbers when they ask: "Are you an atheist?" and "Do you believe in God?" Significantly more people are willing to say "no" to the latter than admit "yes" to the former, even though they're one and the same thing.

Plenty of atheists go to church occasionally with their families. Hell, plenty say "Presbyterian" or "Lutheran" or whatever when they're asked what religion they belong to, despite the fact that they don't believe in God, because it's just less trouble overall.

You just spend too much time on the internet and OF COURSE you never hear from the nonbelievers in real life who don't give a shit - because they don't give a shit. Like people who think all or even most vegetarians are loudmouth PETA types.

Pretty much this. It's not 2008 anymore. The antifeminist trend is getting similar backlash even among people who agree with it. Being constantly enraged is just exhausting after a while and it comes to a point where you have to get off the internet and stop giving a fuck.

Reminder that atheism isn't even a thing in the western world outside of the USA. What i mean by this is that there is no stance for non-belief because it's the default one since we got rid of organized religious dogma a long time ago.

>atheism is a religion
>atheism is a cult

Atheists have to organize in the USA because the religious fucktards are entrenched in their fucked up society.

I'm an atheist and only talk about god when it's brought up.

>Atheism is a full fledge religion now
Yeah, my favorite hobby is not collecting stamps.

>things no one has said

When atheists do talk religion its almost always about tearing it apart and inevitably the ego shows up about how much smarter it is to be faithless.

They're as pretentious as fundamentalist Christians, but at least they have an excuse of arguing for a higher power. All atheism offers is nihilism.

No, it's just a pic for lulz. Really there is such atheist but they're going to school now. They will grow and being smarter.

But here is the rub, you can be an atheist and still believe an artificial god will be made some day or could exist in the realm of physics.

Say an AI with god like powers beyond our comprehension.

>nihilism.
That's not how you spell existentialism. The weak succumb to rampant nihilism, and only a sociopath can thrive as a nihilist. Those with empathy are lain low by depression.

>believe an artificial god will be made some day
You're a fucking idiot if you honestly think that's at all possible, and an even bigger idiot if you think the singularity is ever going to happen either.

>So, just to make things perfectly clear here: All you have to grant to get your fears up and running is that we will continue to make progress in hardware and software design (unless we destroy ourselves some other way) and that there’s nothing magical about the wetware we have running inside of our heads (that is, an intelligent machine could be built of other material). Once you grant those two things, which I think everyone who has thought about the problem will grant—I actually can’t imagine a scientist not granting that 1) we’re going to make progress in computer design, unless something terrible happens and 2) that there’s nothing magical about biological material where intelligence is concerned—once you’ve granted those two propositions, you’ll now be hard-pressed to find some handhold with which to resist your slide into real concern about where this is all going.

samharris.org/podcast/item/ask-me-anything-1

Unless you've been living under a fucking rock, Moore's law is dead. We're no longer accelerating exponentially forward but in fact, slowing down rapidly. Nevermind that AI science can't do shit, the human brain is impossibly complex and we don't even understand how consciousness works, let alone how to emulate it. Don't believe anything futurists say, they're always full of shit and living off hopes and dreams instead of reality.

Instead you should actually talk to the scientists themselves involved in the field. Not a puffed up neuroscientist-turned-media-mogul.

In fact, never believe anything "popular' science ever says.

I find there are two types of atheists, your chill people who simply don't believe in God, and fedoras with their pseudo intellectual arrogance.

You fucking dumbass. Sam Harris sat on Elon Musk's gather of all the world's top AI scientist meeting.

Or maybe Elon Musk doesn't know anything and is just a retard.

Elon Musk is a billionaire playboy. He hires scientists, and you should only pay attention to people talking about their field. Sam or even Hawking may have a nice education, but it is only relevant on the single field they studied. Like when Hawking rants about AI or aliens- it's worthless hot air because the dude is an astrophysics and should only talk about astrophysics.

>Nevermind that AI science can't do shit,
You do realize that the whole AlphaGo event was just last year, right? Go was a game that was considered impossible for an AI to truly master just a few years ago, and then it dominated one of the world's top players specifically by emulating the way neurons learn.

Did you not read the part where Musk gathered all the AI scientists he could to discuss their views.

Sam was invited even though he is not an AI person to listen in. At that conference he was convinced when he was a previous doubter that it happening and will be a thing shortly.

Philistine spotted.

Not the guy you're replying to, but - you don't actually play go, do you? Or know anything about AI?

Nobody's thought go would be impossible to truly master ... well, since ever, really (yes, I'm sure you can find a few articles where people claimed that, but it's never been a majority opinion). It just took much longer to master than chess because of the much larger board size & possibility space.

People have known bots would eventually beat top human players for years and years. At most it just came a *few* years (

Tips The fucking fedora

That probably came out a little harsh - everybody got excited about those matches, myself included. And I'm not trying to present myself as an expert in AI in general, I just know how go bots work. It was pretty frustrating at the time to see all the pop sci articles hailing it as a huge fucking game changer. Those matches may have been historical milestones but people have been watching extremely good go players take on top level bots on go servers for years, sometimes they win, sometimes they lose. The AlphaGo v. Lee Sedol matches were just at a significantly but not unfathomably higher level of play.

Just look at the growth in Alexa and you can see the change in attitude is because of newfags and not because of a change in the old members. Veeky Forums has had several periods of rapid growth where the influx of new users far outnumbers the number of older users. Numale leftist fedoras are less mainstream than traditional values in reality. It's just a narrative those people push so they can pretend they're real Veeky Forums.

>Go was a game that was considered impossible for an AI to truly master just a few years ago
With the technology of a many years ago.

>and then it dominated one of the world's top players specifically by emulating the way neurons learn.
Pattern recognition is very old in go programs. It was recognized early on that brute force calculation really wouldn't work.

Also the difference in methodology. Chess can be brute forced.

It was just a milestone.

>But full 100% conviction that there is no God is illogical.

Tthat is not what atheism means.

Learn the definition before you talk about something.

14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.

True... I was using "atheism" in the conventional modern meaning of "believing that there are no gods". But technically you are right.

>Or maybe Elon Musk doesn't know anything and is just a retard.

Yes he actually is a retard.

Not a scientidt or engineer actually never invented anything at all none of his companies invented anything revoltuionary.

Just a fucktard with good PR and a cult following from /futurology

>I'm 16

why has there never been an atheist civilisation?

I went to check and Alexa has some surprising results about Veeky Forums.

And some less surprising

>full fledge

Stop deleting d-suffixes on adjectives you fuckwits. I'm so sick of hearing people talk about "being bias" or saying "I'm not prejudice".

Modern east Asia and northern Europe are majority atheist.

You didn't know about this? Plenty of grills who probably come here just to trigger faggots or vent.

It's not true at all. Atheist only talk about god if it's relevant to the social climate. Here in sweden, where the vast majority are atheists to one degree or the other religion is pretty much never talked about since it doesn't effect them in their daily life.

I live in one. Well I guess not techincally, since we still have an official state religion, but almost no one practices it.

Atheism is literally "a-" (meaning not) and "-theism" (the belief in god(s))

Atheism is just lack of belief. Just like how "amoral" means "without morals" or "asexual" means "without sexuality"

Question for atheists: how does it feel knowing your entire religion has become a laughing stock because of a few photos of a fat guy wearing a hat?

I like how more than half of all threads made about religion is religious people complaining about atheists being obsessed about religion, or criticising them in some way or form.

Pretty bad. Brb killing mine self

lol, kid. You spend too much time in your basement. 99% of people wouldn't even know what you are talking about.

>religion

I knew there were grills here, i still don't think there's any chance they're a majority (supposing "Internet Average" is 50%).

As a fedora tipper myself, I don't have God, I hate Christians, or at least the annoying sub-set of Christians who are "muh Jebus", and at the same time profoundly ignorant of their own holy books and have to literally strawman their opponents to absurdity when they try to discuss religion.

Muhjesus types are usually the polar opposite of what He actually stood for.

Dude no that's fucking retarded. It's reactionary theism. It's not "hicks". They barely exist irl as you think of them anyway

>ITT
>problems only Americans have

Most folks know that Muslims and Christians both worship the god of Abraham.

Says the retard who believes in an invisible man in the sky

I refuse to be a minority on this site.