This is totally possible. Even today, over 500 years later...

This is totally possible. Even today, over 500 years later, the percentage of Christians in Egypt is nearly 23% of the population. It's a pretty commonly accepted notion that, while the actual Islamic Coonquests were rapid, the conversion was not. It took a long time for places to become majority muslim. I remember that it took hundereds of years for Persia to become fully Muslim. Spain and India never became so despite their centuries of occupation. Egypt, with one of the highest populations of any region in the world, would take a long time to convert.

I like to think that part of the reason is that the Coptic and Orthodox churches still felt very legitimate as the Patriarch of Constantinople still sat in power. This idea is helped by the fact that the switch to muslim majority happened on the same year Condtantinople fell to the Ottomans, but I'm basically pulling it out of my ass.

Other urls found in this thread:

mamluk.uchicago.edu/MSR_X-2_2006-OSullivan.pdf
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Egypt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It sounds doubtful. The Umayyads genocided huge numbers of Christians, perhaps as many as 3/4 of all Christians worldwide were massacred by the Umayyads by 750 AD.

Majority Christian yes, but split into various sects, some orthodox, some catholic, some what become copts, miasphyites, dualists and gnostics.
The main reason for the slow conversion was despite Christians having to pay extra taxes, the Sunni and later Shia rulers put the death penalty on conversions.
So the demographic change should be seen less as Christians converting, but Christians dying out due to starvation. It is an undeniable fact that the Mohammedean conquests further desertified Arabia and Egypt, but whether this was a deliberate act is still disputed.

Also many heterodox Christians welcomed Islamic rulers as it meant an end to peresecutution by Rome and Constantinople
Source Michael Haag for this and my previous post

3/4 sounds doubtful considering how France, Great Britain, northern Italy and southern Germany, along with Greece and Anatolia were free of the caliphates control
If that's a direct quote it's probably from a doomsday writer

By the time of the First Crusade at least the populations of Asia Minor, Syria, and Palestine, though ruled by Muslims, were still overwhelmingly Christian. The “Crusading” campaigns of the Western Christian armies were justi ed at the time as a war liberating the Eastern Christians, whose population, lands, and culture had been devastated by centuries of jihad and dhimmitude.

Bull

Shit

When you say "desertified" do you mean Arabized, Islamicized, or literal desertification? I know this is a stupid question but I'm interested and want more detail if you can

>23%
That seems inflated. The demographics section of Egypt's Wikipedia page says 9% is Christian total, but it IS Wikipedia

Are there any other notable "religious irregularities" in the medieval Middle East?

tbqh the main reason I'm asking is for EU4 modding purposes, and I figured this would be a good-ish place to get some opinions and shit.

It is likely larger than 9% but 23% does seem a bit inflated.

The politics was the ERE was warming to papal authority, and if the saracens weren't repelled then Christendom would be surrounded on all fronts
But yes the trusted account of the council is the saving of Jerusalem and oppressed Christians
As in literally fertile plains were becoming sandier and so nothing could grow there any more.
Ask in /his homeland, /gsg/ on the /vg board for further help. I was about to go ask there myself for someone to mod this nation. For the flag I'd say take the central shield and ignore the blue and white cross like they did for Portugal
Don't know about national ideas, but I'd just say be a Coptic nation with Alexandria and Cairo as cores.
Alexandria because it was the capital and arch bishopric, and Holy See for pre schism Christianity.
Whilst Cairo shows God favours the Christians not the Muslims, as Cairo was founded by the Shia fatimids
There might be one or two graeco-pagan provinces left, but yeah miasphites and other heterodox faiths.

What about the default k_egypt flag in CK2?

>Just Alexandria and Cairo
I get what you're going for, but disconnected land isn't very aesthetic. Just give them the delta.

I am trying to help out with re-drawing Arabia's and North Africa's provinces; I think the main modder would appreciate extra hands.

I'll link this thread in /gsg/ then.

I guess while we're at it, were there any majority Nestorian areas around the 1450s?

I believe Socorta is/should be until around when the Portuguese get to the island.

See this article for some estimates
mamluk.uchicago.edu/MSR_X-2_2006-OSullivan.pdf

Generally, the full Islamization of Egypt and Anatolia with about 10-20% Christians remaining in both cases is estimated to have taken about 500 years. This is the case to the present day in Egypt and was until population exchanges and ethnic cleansing in Turkey.

I know that on the Egyptian Demographic Page on wikipedia it's around 10%, but on another page on Wikipedia it estimates a range from 15-23%. I stick with the higher range because my Egyptian friend tell me that that is the proportion they learned in High School, and I see no reason for that to be inflated in a non-christian high school run by the government.

Here's the page, it at first says 10% but a little further it claims that the range can go up to 20%

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Egypt

Up till the early 20th century Copts were typically white-collar. Muhammed Ali, the farmer who discovered the Nag Hammadi codices worked as a camel driver for a middle class Copt.

STay

Surveillance and Target Acquisition or Slut Training Academy?

How can you have white and blue collar before heavy industrialisation and urbanisation

Anyone have anything on Mesopotamia or Zoroastrians remaining in Persia or India?

The wealthiest Indians come from Zoroastrians. The Tata family is from this group of people.

>TFW My friend knew King Reza Pahlavi Shah's grandson

>died in Cairo
I imagine he got shit for being a Shi'ite exiled in a Sunni country?

Happened after Saladin took over, being a devout Sunni he replaced the moderate Shia Fatimids and began to perscute the Christians in Egypt, which would continue under the Sunni Mamluks.