What were the Punic Wars like Veeky Forums?

What were the Punic Wars like Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Cobra#3rd_Fleet_damage
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Really fucking stupid and full of bullshit.

>Romans lost 5 fleets to "storms"

I bet they just didn't want to admit they got BTFO by dirty kiddy killers.

This shit does happen.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Cobra#3rd_Fleet_damage

Its the Mediterranean, not the South Pacific

sea jews btfo

I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm saying it happened too many fucking times for me to believe that the Carthaginians, who were supposed to be big time Navy guys, didn't have a hand in it and could never manage to destroy any of the main Roman fleets because Rome is just that badass. That and the fact the Romans have a tendency to always frame themselves as super cool and blaming the weather for a several huge strings of defeats seems like a thing they would do.

Plus I have an anti-Roman bias anyway, so there's that.

A brilliant victory for Carthage

This, every word of it, even the bias part.

Problem is almost all the sources we have on the Punic Wars, or the Carthaginians for that matter, are Roman.

That's sad

It was a testament to never kill the sacred chickens

got wrecked by heavy cav

Heavy cav?

Insane. The Romans were a new republic without much of a navy. The Carthiginians had massive navies to protect and ensure sea lanes stayed open. The Roman navy couldn't compete. But their infantry shit stomped whatever Punic and mercenary infantry that Carthage put forward. What do? Bring. The. Infantry. To. Them. They invent the boarding corvus and use these makeshift bridges to send small testudos onto Punic ships. If there was a way, Rome found it

it's only a testament to how unimportant culturally the Carthaginians were.

>be massive commercial power having a huge influence throughout the mediterranean
>be a literally who only remembered by the people that killed you
>fund a bunch of cities in Iberia
>leave nothing of importance built there
>Sardinian bronze age rock worshippers leave more interesting and complex remains than you despite your extensive colonization plans

this desu

Also, does anybody else feel bad for Hannibal? Poor guy had so much potential and heart but between the ~17-20 year campaign around Italy and the lack of support from his own government completely drained him as a general and a person. Not to mention the awkward meeting with Scipio years afterwards at some kings dinner party.

Warfare in that time was nuts.
tfw you're born 2158 years too late

>They invent the boarding corvus
Proabably bulshit, would have completely destabilized a vessel that was put on.

>be massive commercial power having a huge influence throughout the mediterranean
>be a literally who only remembered by the people that killed you

Too bad you don't use your brain more.

Does that picture seem likely to you? You really think *fucking nothing* happened?

Yeah but if that were the case then why did they also write about and admit how utterly rekt they got at Cannae, Trasimene etc?

Warfare today is way more insane- its just been normalized for you.

Because it makes the inevitable comeback look so much grander in the end. You always have the hero on the ropes before he knocks out the baddie.

It's harder to poo poo away a guy that spent the better part of a decade marauding through your home territory.

Carthaginians were pretty salty :^)
captcha: ahead savage

He was sent reinforcements, they just got btfo before reaching the main army. Hannibal's plan to win over cities was dumb. As soon as he would get one of them to flip he would leave, the city would either go back on terms or get retaken by the romans. He had no real way to fight against Fabian tactics. He was a great general, but did get spanked at Zama.

And these are ancient times with people who have no maritime culture compared to the Phoenicians or even certain Greeks

Zama never happened.

It's true. Scipio Africanus also knew beforehand that Cannae was going to happen, and everyone knows that Elephants can't break Roman lines. Open your eyes plebs.

Carthage was a direct descendant of Phoenicia, hence the "Punic Wars" coming from the Roman use of Punic in stead of Phoenician.

Real shit, Carthage was the good guys.

They had a much more modern system of government that didn't have a rigid class system.

ahh...yes, sacrificing children to moloch is very sophisticated
kys scum

I recommend Dan Carlin's three part series on Punic Wars, some great narration on this one.

>They invent the boarding corvus and use these makeshift bridges to send small testudos onto Punic ships
but it wasnt effective after their first couple of battle as the carthaginians caught on to the tactic. No record of its use after battle of econumus and the battle of Aegetaes island was a roman victory that they trained and prepared well before casting off and fought like the Carthaginians.

Also
>prognosticating viability of battles through chickens
>chicken disagrees, throw it overboard.
>loose battle of drepana.

I think he was talking about the Romans user.

>sacrificing children
ALLEGEDLY!

Rome had absolutely no problem admitting to naval defeats and initial inferiority. They also utterly reversed that trend and beat the fuck out of the Carthaginian navy, which categorically did not have the ability to recover due to demographic issues.

Why the FUCK do you think you stop hearing about their fleet as a major force midway through the first war, and never hear of it again?

>That and the fact the Romans have a tendency to always frame themselves as super cool
Which is why we know about cannae. In detail. On one of the most iconic and embarassing defeats in military history. And carrhae. And the beating they took from phyruss.

They stopped using it very quickly. Carthage had no capacity to compete with rome at sea once they captured a quinquireme for themselves- rome had the manpower to hurl fleet after fleet into the war.

Carthage had the citizen manpower for one, and couldn't really afford to lose it. Not having enough citizens is the literal reason they were so reliant on mercenaries.

Rome went out of their way to erase Carthaginian culture. Don't be that guy.

No. His plan was a fucking pipedream born of stupidity and an inability to truly understand and respect his foe. His blind hatred of Rome led directly to his people being slaughtered.

"This guy ran around a lot and burned shit because he was a pussy." Done.

>didn't have a rigid class system.
They literally had a racial caste system.

I'm still not buying that they lost that many fleets to storms user.

Romans are the masters of falsehood

You fucking what

>found human children bones in an ancient sacrificial pit

Congratulations, you're a conspiracy theorist.

Now head on over to infowars and let them know that aliens cloned the dead Carthaginian rowers and captains and more covered it all up.

>conspiracy theorist.
poring over scarce sources of biased information to postulate a theory about bygone events, thats basically a historian.

>sea jews

kek

Didn't the Romans destroy a lot of Carthaginian records?

I agree with most of this, but I don't think this user gives Hannibal enough credit.

This is actually a semi-mainstream theory. I think it's bullshit, but he's not alone in thinking it.

Possibly cremation.

hell

>Didn't the Romans destroy a lot of Carthaginian records?
>Rome went out of their way to erase Carthaginian culture. Don't be that guy.

Did they also forcefully made everyone who traded with Carthaginians forget about them? Because there's fuck all about them in other peoples' records, or in the mediterranean sphere, how could have they been so relevant without leaving a huge footprint of cultural and political influence? Romans were constantly surrounded by people s who had absorbed many aspects of Roman life by contact alone before they even annexed them.