Why do men harm their own self interests for the sake of imaginary constructs like honor...

Why do men harm their own self interests for the sake of imaginary constructs like honor? Why do men kill other people for the sake of an honor system only they believe in?

Do you all have autism?

Honor is not imaginary. It's a feeling as real as love or hate.

The answer to both is for group interest. A man alone is not going to accomplish much. He requires a family, and a strong group to thrive.

This obviously does not apply to modern men for various reasons.

>Women and effeminate men don't understand honour

Who would have guessed?

There is glory in death. There isn't always dignity in life.

/thread

How?

What is "glorious" about getting turned into ground beef and ceasing to exist?

What is glory?

WOMEN BTFO

>Do you all have autism
*loud weezing*
H-hello mm'lady
*sweats profusely*
m-m-maybe you'd like to go out and s-see a movie sometime?
>imaginary constructs like honor
Ackshually, honor is in the abstract a statement of authenticity, that the other individual you're dealing with is dealing with you in plain speaking terms and what you see/hear is what you get, without fear of what they may be saying or doing behind your back. It is at its core a statement of integrity, men explicitly stating to the men around him that he promises not to scheme or manipulate his bros.

Of course this is a completely alien concept to women, because their entire social life is built around scheming and whispering about people when they're not listening and manipulating people into the behavior they want, so they associate "simple" behavior as being shallow and lacking depth, and as such "honor" is a confusing, meaningless term to them, which they are at their deepest levels unable to grasp because it is totally antithetical to the way they think and operate.
*pulls his wispy strands of thin hair over his bald spot after a vigorous session of mansplaining*

Sometimes, I get why people in the past confine woman in the house

>mfw I shoot some dumb samurai that refuses to use guns because of spooks like honor

i rarely if ever call reddit but

>Ackshually

it's so painfully obvious it's kind of insulting, can't you stay on the history boards there?

>i rarely if ever call reddit but
You had such a nice streak going, why couldn't you just continue it?

I can't be assed to even read his post, wall of text about something I don't care about, but I'd take the occasional annoying post from *omigod* a redditor in a heartbeat over the constant fucking stream of people shitting up the boards with "go back to plebbit" spam.

>*omigod*

but you are clearly the redditor in question

Honor creates law through social rules in times or places where it's harder to maintain a proper legal code, ie the past.

It's feelings of shame or anger based entirely on a social construct of what you should feel shame or anger about drilled into you from birth.

Are you fucking retarded? I was making fun of fedora redditors in that post. you need to work on your reading comprehension skills, m8.

>wall of text about something I don't care about
You see, this is exactly the kind of shit which inspires dudes to shout "tits or GTFO" at you and not take anything you say seriously. 150 words is nobody's wall of text, and I even coated it in a little depreciating humor in order to soften the blow, but even that was not enough to get you to bother reading or responding to it. Maybe you should try one of the other, non-niche interest boards where guys will pretend to find your HURRDURRing endearing?

Wrong

>There is glory in death.
t. someone who has never seen people pathetically die on a battlefield or elsewhere and being immediately forgotten

Upholding honour is a way for someone to signal that one uphold values associated with it. A duelist giving the other a fair chance in the process tells his environment that he is strong enough to beat the opponent on equal grounds. Someone showing up for a debate signals his followers that he can hold his water in a discussion or that he actually has the better arguments. The thief of the thieves' guild, when not ratting anyone out to the constabulary, signals to his guildsmen that he is worthy of trust and worthy of themselves taking costs for.

In more martial societies, this sort of signalling is important for keeping one's legitimacy as a leader high and thereby prevent pretenders that may raise up in rebellion if they perceive you as weak, which not doing something of the above would signal.

When you sacrifice yourself for the community, community provides you with social status.

Simple as that.

I awoke this morning to a thought of fixing the fence around the house, I thought I don't want to do that because it's boring then I thought what should I do? Maybe I can do something on my car... now I love fabricating and welding, but realised that even that is painful, it never works out the way I want it so why do it? Why do anything? Everything is painful, meeting women is painful & each moment will never truly fulfil me. I then proceeded to ask myself so what do I do then? Nothing because everything is painful? Or everything because I know that everything is painful but impermanent!! Is this fluff or an insight?

It creates social order and lets crimes be punished without the need for a court.

Honor is essentially just the golden rule taken to more socially regulated reasoning.

I'm a dude, and you're right, it wasn't that long. But it wasn't interesting, wasn't very well-written, and you opened and closed with cringe-as-fuck jokes. So no, I didn't really read it, and I don't feel bad about that either.

"Wall of text" is really more of an indirect criticism of the quality than the length when you get down to it.

Nope

WRONG!

You claim to be a guy but then you prattle on incessantly about your feelings rather than stick to the topic at hand. Ironic shitposting is still shitposting and that's why everyone is calling you out on it.

Honor is a real feeling, but it's one of the most easily twisted. Definitions of honor are so dependant on perception, see the posters above and their stances on honor in dying in the name of something.

>leftist cucks and women dont understand honor

ISHIGGIDIGGY

>feels
>real

>leftists are cucks
>meanwhile I want to throw my life away in submission to the state

W E W L A D
E
W
L
A
D

>everything is a social construct dude life is meaningless
>let me fucking show you how unmotivated piece of shit I am by laying these facts I've skimmed on wikipedia

two can play this game

Nice Ad Hominem

Now kindly prove that life has objective meaning without relying on spooks and oughts

There isn't glory in battle now, you could still get killed by bullishit really far away fighting for the diamyo, but the when it gets to samurai v samurai I can imagine it gets pretty honorable.
But then again maybe the concept of honor is just to justify these massive fights against our fellow man on some fucking degenerate island.

>It's another "Numen and females cannot understand the concept of dignity and shame, and the lack of it.

If you treat people fairly you will also survive a battle you lose

Actually, people rely on the group more than ever before in history. It's just that our reliance has become estranged in terms of emotional connection. Group trust is now so intrinsic, that it's almost guaranteed even if nobody likes you.

I think war exists for a perfectly legitimate reason. That reason being, you can't rely on someone else to rule over you with fairness and love. Therefore, it is always in your, or your group's, best interest to be the ones in charge. But then when you're in charge, you're going to screw someone out of something in order to give yourself and group the best.

Those people you screwed, in turn, have every reason to become you.

Of what value is a life without honor?

Which is not to say that I like war, or think it's the end-all solution, or even that it's really necessary.

Diplomacy could hypothetically solve every inter-human problem as well as war ever has. Thing is, until we have perfected our diplomacy, there will always be bullies who justify war by committing acts of cruelty and violence upon others.

It's not necessarily a problem of our entire race being psychopathic monsters. It has more to do with a small pool of dominant meat-heads whose psychologies should have antiquated millennia ago.