Been a while since we had one.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montefortino_helmet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_helmet
youtube.com/watch?v=q-bnM5SuQkI
youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

On this overall topic I've been wondering something:

Are gambesons, linothoraxes, and subarmalises all roughly synonymous pieces of armor?

why is brigandine and coat of plates the best looking armour

Is that gold-looking stuff brass?

Fuck Doublets

Pity there isn't much surviving chinese armour. It doesn't help that they only started doing much archeology in the last 60 years or so.

Chinese armor is pretty cool I like the dragon style

just searched for south east asian armor. what the hell is this? I'm pretty sure this ain't historical.

looks cool though

I love me some medium infantry

Doublets?

Anyone who wore Lorica Segmentata to battle was considered heavy infantry in their day. In fact even at the height of its use it wasn't ubiquitous among legionaries and was probably only reserved for elites or shock troopers, while the rank and file pedes made due with a chainmail shirt.

i was going to make a thread about this but i think this question would fit here just fine.

why is the clearly gallic-looking helmets we see reenactors and historic illustrators use world-wide so accepted to be how the Roman helmets looked, despite all the iconography and depictions of the Romans themselves having helmets closer to this picture, with thinner, less significant cheek protection, and a curved, short neck guard? Are there really that many archeological finds that support such a definitive agreement on the design?

>you will never wear highly decorated lorica musculata similar to the Augustus of Prima Porta

The propaganda images shown by rulers to an impressionable, illiterate populace rarely match the archeological record.

There may have been helmets that Romans preferred for aesthetic reasons but the thing that made the Gallic style helmets so effective was their simplicity and functionality.

The Romans were want to invest in complicated military equipment like the Lorica segmentata whose benefit over Lorica Hamata was incremental, but came at a huge logistics cost as now instead of a single helmet or a single mail shirt, you were having to keep track of dozens of pieces and replacement parts, which were often manufactured on the cheap and could be shoddy as hell in the field.

that and the countless fakes they make

i considered the propaganda one to be the Attic that generals are often seen using, the one with the huge pointless wedge shape in the forehead meant to slightly evoke a crown.

these plan rank and file ones aren't ornate or complex at all compared to the quintessential Galea though, i find it weird that no relief, painting or sculpture anywhere would show something so visually striking like the huge flat neck guard or the square cheek pieces.

HBO's Rome actually had these helmets. I don't know if they have a specific name.

That is gorgeous

The closest thing I've ever seen is some of that good Tibetan cavalry armor they have on display at the Metropolitan Museum in New York.

compared to this

Those are Montefortino Helmets which are a Gallic design and one of the helmets we find a lot of in archeological sights, meaning that it was in widespread use for a long time.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montefortino_helmet
Interestingly, The type of helmet you're referencing in this picture is known as the Imperial helmet, but helmets constructed by Gallic smiths were known to be more ornate and higher quality than the shoddy, mass produced junk coming out of the Italian manufacturing centers.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_helmet

how useful even is that metal plate on his chest?

to stop the wind getting knocked out of you, it is common today in contact sports

They don't really look similar. the only thing they have in common is the mail.

What's the original helmet for this? the ones I see is obviously of spanish design.

renaissance armor is shit

This looks like it'd be really nice in cold weather but even then annoying to manage.

All embrace me, it's my time to rule at last

Mah knigga

It surprised me how mobile you can really be in full plate armor.
youtube.com/watch?v=q-bnM5SuQkI
youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q

But can you imagine the sound of a hundred or more knights climbing ladders to breach your walls?

Fuck.

hmmhmm!
huhuhhuh
urmmhmhmm...
ho-hoeh-ha-ho-ha
hahaa hahh.

not posting the GOAT of armor

I have to admit, that cape is fucking A E S T H E T I C

y-you're a big saxon

15 years have I BEEN WAITING TO SIT UPON MY THRONE.

For you
No allegiance I will swear no oath

Norman faceplate helmet are nice

Yes

This thing actually existed.

kawaii

roman cav masks are sweet

were these used to frighten the enemies?

it been a lot of speculation on what they was used as, some say combat other only parades,there are records of the cavalery auxilla using them in combat, and i read one article that they was used during cav training and then worn into combat by riders who exeld at somthing, one example

In his description of the elaborate exercises practised by the Roman auxiliary cavalry he called the Hippika Gymnasia, the historian, military commander, and friend of Hadrian was very clear about the use of face-mask helmets.

2. The riders themselves, according to rank or because they distinguish themselves in horsemanship, set off with golden helmets of iron or bronze, in order to attract the attention of onlookers by this means. 3. Unlike battle helmets, these defend not only the head and cheeks but, conforming to the faces of the riders, have openings for the eyes which do not hinder the vision and yet offer protection.

Armor of the Moro people - chainmail interwoven with buffalo hide-brass-other metals

an odd mix of mail and plate

The Caucasus has very interesting armor.

This is a chechen

Actually it might be a Georgian, found the photo of this very same guy

More Georgians in mail.

The Circassians are the best tho

Plz halp.

Why does SE never really develop much armor?

What are those "sticks" on that guys chest?

Paper cartridges for muskets maybe.

well i googled synonymous and i understand it to mean somthing like one and the same so in that case no the gambenson and linothorax are two diffrent kind of armour, the linothorax is more of a breast plate while gambeson is made to absorb blows, but from my understanding the gambeson and subarmalises are more like one and other, they both are made to absorb blows and worn under ex mail or other kinds of armour,

In other words linothorax=Breastplate
gambeson and subarmalises= Made to absorb blows

Not a fan of this type of armor.

Quack quack motherfucker.