Texan Revolution Thread

Texan Revolution Thread

I'm not even American and it fascinates me. You have a now gone North American nation battling Mexican at a time where they were a legitimate military threat.

Other urls found in this thread:

travisletter.com/the-letter.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Be Texan
>State history forced down our throats every year during school.
>Gobble that shit up because I love my state.

What do you want to know, hombre?

Also, the more I read about Mexico, the more I see they had a pretty great history too until about the mid 1900s. It makes me sad they're run by narcos now and we're chained to the rest of the US and forced to "cooperate" with California and New York on things. At least those crazy ass Florida guys are kinda cool.

Well-learned Texan here, ask away

Santana, the mexican president at the time, was a complete retard when it came to strategy , he had great military advisors that foresaw a lot of his many mistakes but he ignored every single warning he received before and during his campaigns. he was blinded by his own narcisism.

I thought he purged a lot of the army too, so that he had to rely on green troops and french mercenary commanders? That, and trying to run a supply chain from central Mexico into Texas was a nightmare for a nation that didn't particularly have great infrastructure to begin with.

Thinking of that, he might've been better off attempting to secure a port and ship supplies and troops via sea that way, but I don't know too much about Mexico's capability to do that.

Texfag here, we fought against the wetbacks once we'll do it again.

Here's what I've always wondered- why did European observers have a high opinion of the Mexican army pre M-A War after their remarkably below average performance here?

You ever get the historical feels when comparing events like the Goliad massacre to others?

>be Texan
>rebel against tyrannical Mexican government
>get captured Goliad
>systematically executed Einatzgruppen-style
>corpses piled high, stacked on wooden railings, and are literally barbecued until nothing but ash remains
>outrage at the massacre electrifies faulting Texan morale
>mere weeks later, the Texans launch an all-out assault on the Mexican encampment at San Jacinto chanting "Remember Goliad" with righteous fervor, slaughter hundreds of Mexican soldiers in retaliation, and force Santa Anna to bend the knee

110 years later...

>be Jew in Europe
>mind your own business until Germans invade your country
>be locked up in Ghetto
>get deported to Treblinka Extermination Camp
>get gassed on arrival or get shot by actual Einatzgruppen when they're done making you slave away as a Sonderkommando
>corpses piled high, stacked on wooden railings, and are literally barbecued until nothing but ash remains
>Fellow Jews who have no yet been deported just sit and cower in fear
>Process continues until European Jewry is effectively destroyed by war's end

Their performance wasn't particularly low. Their defeat was mainly a result of their commanding officer also being the leader of the country. It was retarded and a fuckup but wasn't indicative of the state of the army overall. To see that you would have to go back to their war of independence and you then have to realize that was fought not so much by Spanish soldiers but by royalist Mexican soldiers. So they had that tradition to stand on and be compared with despite more recent blunders.

>I don't know too much about Mexico's capability to do that.
They've never had a strong navy and even Spain's navy at the time of their independence wasn't particularly impressive so they couldn't even boast a sizable pool of manpower to recruit from.

you're being out bred whitey

lol.

Not to really burst your bubble here since I fap to the revolution periodically as well, but a lot of what Texas was able to accomplish was because of blunder after blunder of Mexico and their leader at the time. It's very likely had they had their shit together and Santa Ana not sold out his country to save his own skin, we'd have gotten butchered by an organized force.

Not that we still didn't punch above our weight, but we weren't the ubermenchen some thing we were.

>watched all the Alamo movies
>Commander Travis was instantly killed at the opening of the final battle, causing a huge morale penalty for the men
>in movies he's literally one of the last ones left, fighting Mexicans from all sides with his saber and blunt end of his flintlock

Fucking Hollywood jewry, get your shit straight.

Maybe someone from Texas can help me understand what "remember the Alamo" means

You don't know about the Alamo?

The Alamo was an old Spanish missionary church that a number of Texas revolutionaries used as a citadel against the Mexicans. The force consisted of a mixture of white Texans and Tejanos (men of Mexican origin born in Texas, whose loyalties were to the state rather than Mexico. Tejano is Spanish for Texan). There were also a number of famous (or infamous) people who participated in the battle, most notably William B. Travis, Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, and Juan Seguin (Seguin survived, as he was out scouting when the final assault was made on the Alamo).

Despite being vastly outnumbered and outgunned, the Texans held out for a long time, but where eventually overwhelmed and slaughtered to a man. Only six women and one slave were spared. The Alamo was used by other revolutionaries as a rallying cry. When Sam Houston attacked Santa Anna's army after the Alamo, he totally lost control of his men as they slaughtered Mexicans indiscriminately, as many of their compatriots had been at the Alamo.

Famous last stand in Texas against a much larger force. They killed way more Mexicans than they had Texans, and later Texan armies used "Remember the Alamo" as a battle cry.

The Texans were still facing a superior force in terms of numbers, logistics, and equipment. The mere act of initiating rebellion required a great deal of daring on its own.

Seems to me that if the pre-war Poland had been filled with Texans instead of Jews who did not have much in the way of a warrior tradition, the Germans would've been given a run for their money since Texans would've revolted before even being consigned to Ghettos, let alone dragged off to camps in the middle of nowhere to be murdered.

>You ever get the historical feels when comparing events like the Goliad massacre to others?
Of course

Every Texan knows to Remember the Alamo, I grew up in the outskirts of San Antonio and visited it regularly.

Texians (including many folk heroes) hold out at the Mission-turned-fortress for 13 days against a vastly larger force.
They are eventually overwhelmed and are all killed, yet another example of a martyrdom becoming a rallying cry.

The difference between the Jews and the Germans was far greater than between the Texans and Mexicans in terms of equipment.

Poland was the hottest area of the entire German occupation of Europe, they took hundreds of thousands of casualties there fighting the Polish resistance groups (which included Jews). The most famous rebel action was probably the Warsaw Uprising.

Someone post the percentages of how many "Texans" were just Americans who came over to fight in the war I saw it in another thread.

Well that didn't deter the Russian and Yugoslav partisans, who at the beginning would've been armed with antiques (muskets, single-shot hunting rifles, revolvers etc.) or light small arms (i.e. something that had to be carried off by hand) looted off the dead with precious little ammunition.

Hell, until a decade ago, rebels in Nepal were still using muskets and proved surprisingly effective despite a technological disparity nearly two centuries wide.

Shit, at that point in Texas history, every Texan was just an American or Mexican-Texan. The Texan cultural identity itself is just a state of mind by the local inhabitants.

It's also one of the great things about the state, it's not hard to live in if you have the same train of thought the rest of the place does.

I mean there's a difference between the families that came over in the 1820s along with Stephen Austin and filibusters who were drawn because of the war.

By the time the Warsaw Uprising took place, the overwhelming majority of European Jews had already been killed, largely without much in the way of a fight. The biggest single act of rebellion Jews made against the Germans was the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, which while heroic, only involved around a thousand fighters (out of 60,000+ still in the Ghetto at the time) and only occurred toward the end of Ghetto's liquidation, too late for the overwhelming majority of victims.

Texas Revolution should have been an easy win for Mexico but they made too many blunders.

I for one welcome our new Texan overlords.

>at a time where they were a legitimate military threat.
says who? at the time of the Texan rebellion several mexican states were also in open rebellion
also Ulysses S. Grant regarded the U.S. Mexico war as "one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation"

nobody thought Mexico was a "legitimate military threat"

>Texfag here, we fought against the wetbacks once we'll do it again.

lol shit.

My Alteza Serenísima would bever be narcissistic!

>they
*he

>allow Americans to settle in Tejas
>ask them to assimilate
>some do, but most don't even pay taxes
>tell them not to bring slaves
>they do anyway
>tell them to inform government of new settlements
>some do, but most don't
>an influx of people running from the law and squatters show up
>outlaws and slave owners and even native Tejanos decide to rebel
>after Independence those same outlaws and slave owners attack Tejanos arresting and deporting them to Mexico

and somehow Mexico is the bad guy in all this?

>Texas Revolution should have been an easy win for Mexico but they made too many blunders.
>they
Santa Anna, Dare I Say, The most Incompetent general known to man.
Had José de Urrea been overall commander of the war, The Texans would have been defeated and killed.

this.
this map shows all the rebellions, and separatist movements in mexico between 1835-1846

all but the Texas rebellion was defeated, and it just so happened it was the only one Santa Anna tried to personally put down

Nice Rumia

Yanks have their heads to far in their own arses to realize this

its not particuarly impressive if you have no emotional connection. the mexican army over cautiously laid siege then stormed a poorly fortified mission held by rebelling texans.

the texans inflicted about 3 times the amount of casualties as they received which is textbook rate for defending a fortified position in Napoleonic times.

due to the amount of minor frontier celebrities (failed politician, a knife maker/marketer, corrupt government surveyors, anti abolitionists, and one mexican dude) manning the defense, their deaths became a rallying cry for the revolution, a very successful recruiting tool and propaganda victory.

Goliad and San Jacinto are more interesting from a military history standpoint

>Goliad and San Jacinto are more interesting from a military history standpoint

>tfw after playing Empire and Napoleon total war for over 1000 hours combined im 100% certain i would have done better than Santa Anna against Texas

>Be Mexican
>take siesta
>enemy walks into camp and murders you
>they erect a giant ass BENIS on site because fuck you

Where are you from?

travisletter.com/the-letter.html
This letter is the sole reason the alamo was such a historically relevent event

>search google for image
OHSHIT

Feral hogs are no fucking joke man, my friend and I used to kill those evil bastards all the time because of the damage they'd cause.

Here is a little know fact but a number of other parts of mexico were in revolt at the same time.

hmm that's funny, i actually made that pic myself i wanted a version of this map that only highlighted mexican majority counties

see

Well Santa Ana was an incompetent military president for life, in texas history in school HE usually gets framed as the bad guy opressing mexicans and tejanos alike. Mexico just has to bear his ill rule

That said you arent wrong, Texas my beautiful homeland is the product of rough people and slavers breaking mexican law to make their own land

You do realize that map doesn't show Mexican majority countries right? Just regions where the most reported ancestry is "Mexican". Pretty big difference between the two actually.

>At least those crazy ass Florida guys are kinda cool.
Thanks user. It means alot. Come down my way if you ever wanna do a couple lines of meth and fuck a gator

*counties not countries