Eastern Orthodox church

Hey, im a buddhist for the last ten years. I decided to convert to eastern orthodoxy.

What should i know before converting? reading materials reccomended? i just started reading the bible (NKJV) and dipping my hands into theology.

essentially - redpill me on eastern orthodox church.

Other urls found in this thread:

myriobiblos.gr/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Orthodox_Church
youtube.com/watch?v=F5EPs9EqIsc
youtube.com/watch?v=j6m_XgJ5zOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6KV6PXSODgE
amazon.com/Orthodox-Study-Bible-Hardcover-Christianity/dp/0718003594/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492453059&sr=8-1&keywords=orthodox study bible
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You can't convert to eastern orthodoxy, you have to be born into it

>What should i know
That it's shit.

Fuck off

Actually talk to a Orthodox priest rather than just reading a REDPILLED greentext on /r9k

It pretends to be a universal church but in reality it's a loose grouping of ethnonational churches whose main goals are social control and political power over their particular ethnic subjects.

What's your ethnicity?

>main goals are social control and political power
Stop memeing you fuck, this can be said of every church that has ever existed.

Orthodoxy is extremely ethnic because of no pope and no emperor to keep the church more tightly knit.

Pretty mystic overall, but fairly similar to Catholicism still desire developing a different set of saints and traditions.

i already wrote to one trying to schedule a meeting. But i like to read.

Polish, full slav.

thats bullshit and even i know it.

>this can be said of every church that has ever existed.

No. Roman Catholicism renounced seeking secular power with Vatican II. Many protestant churches are deeply committed to the separation of church and state.

>Stop memeing you fuck
Don't you have school in the morning?

There's no Polish Orthodox Church dude. You're going to be an outsider.

>Protestants
>Supporting separation of church and state

>Many protestant churches are deeply committed to the separation of church and state.
Oh how I fucking wish.

Oi Crommie

You could this out this cool little site.
myriobiblos.gr/

Read the NASB bible instead. It can stop you from making terrible mistakes like converting to Paulianity.

>im buddhist for the last ten years
>i decided to convert to eastern orthodoxy
>befor being buddhist this guy followed another cult
are you one of those who just jump around while feeling bored to death?

Why are you converting if you haven't even read up on it? This some faggy ethnic heritage thing you're trying to do?

there is, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Orthodox_Church

The subject says Eastern Orthodoxy but the image says Oriental Orthodoxy

Make up your mind

Is it about Sio Bibble?

ive read the wikipedia page, and ive been in the mass on saturday. I felt at home in the church, so i read up a bit on it and so far i feel like its the right thing to do, and i agree with what i read, but how deeply into theology does wikipedia really go?

i was catholic, then atheist, then like a year or two of confusion caused by being an edgy teen trying magic and shit, and then buddhism.

youtube.com/watch?v=F5EPs9EqIsc

i didnt know. as i said im newfag into orthodoxy. Thats an image that came up on google.

What's the point of being religious in 21st century? Or you live in some backward shithole where people still don't like atheists?

Being atheist is shitty. People need religion.

It's not like mass goes deeply into theology. Atheist LARPer who try to use religion and mysticism to deal with nihilism are the worst.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Your whole approach is shit. You don't fucking choose a fancy religion every few years because you read something about it, you dipshit. You never were a Buddhist and you'll never be an orthodox Christian. Why do you even want to convert?

Weak people (aka slaves, aka untermensches) need religion. Ubermensches don't need a god.
God is dead.

Being atheist is fine. Whether or not people need religion does not matter, because you as an individual are not people as a whole.

>redpill me

Ok.

They are servants of the demiurge.
They will send you to hell and put filthy spirits inside your body on baptism.
They lie a lot.

True religion is gnosticism, you have to achieve gnosis, worship Abraxas.

I am Studying to become an Orthodox priest.

I suggest you read S.Cyril of Jerusalem 's Cathechesis it works in giving some solid basis of our faith.

What went wrong with your life?

Oh boy are you are dumb.

He hates mankind, so he serves the demiurge.

Why are you in a sect that believes Jesus was born from anal sex?

wut

The Orthodox Church does have a pope.

i felt at home at the mass , touched if you will.

i was a buddhist for ten years, what the fuck you mean choose religions on a whim. I want to convert because the way i felt at the mass makes me thing i was wrong for the past ten years of my life and wasted them. Also, im still not 100% on converting. Ive set up a meeting with my local priest to learn about it first, first hand nstead of reading. But ffs, i want to also read about what im thinking of doing.

serious question: Why would you choose picking a predefined religion over spiritual openness, self exploring and studying? Shouldn't dogmas seen as a thing from the past?

No. And there are several Orthodox Churches.

Orthodox understanding of Hypostatic Union requires Jesus's human body being born from sperm and egg, but to preserve Mary's virginity, it couldn't have been vaginal sex. Ergo, birth from sodomy (which I realize is actually more expansive than just anal).

So you just liked the decorations so to speak, and that's your reason?

not him but I think you can have an open faith and still benefit from a strong spiritual base

Dude, even if we'd want to seriously examine your bullshit, sperm from the ass can't get into the womb.

Bartholomew I and Theodore II are both popes in the Eastern Orthodox Church, so yes it does have a pope, in fact it has many.

What's with these threads?

Why do people just decide to convert to a religion and THEN ask what the religion entails? Do you just treat your religion like some meme fashion statement? Do you just wake up in the morning one day and go "I should LARP as an orthodox Christian today"?

They are not popes, idiot, they are patriarchs.

Not him but you're samefagging is obvious, pathetic faggot

sounds like a pedantic distinction to me, why don't we just call them beardpopes and get over it?

who is your favorite beardpope, Veeky Forums?

Not according to Seinfeld dipshit. Costanza is able to convert despite him being a Jew.

Unfortunately George's ego gets in the way yet again.

The sense in which "pope" is used in orthodoxy is not the same as the Pope.
All the patriarchs are technically popes but that's pretty meaningless when reference to the Pope clearly has a different connotation.

>Not him
Kek.

t.

No dude.

Are you aware that "pope" and "patriarch" both have the same Latin root, "pater" meaning father? It's not even semantics at this point.

Go read a book, fucktard.

Have any beardpopes written good books?

Yes I am. So what?

the original post this retard was responding to was clearly referencing the bishop of Rome, the pope, which is clearly different from orthodox popes.

Stop being retarded.

Sure it can. It can leak out into the vagina.

I'm pretty sure the point of the immaculate conception is that there wasn't any semen required

George is Catholic in the show

>What's the point of being religious in 21st century? Or you live in some backward shithole where people still don't like atheists?

Absence of evidence is evidence of non-existence, faggot.

God doesn't exist because if he did we would have physical proofs.

former protestant here. Read all the history of the early Christians and now here I am an agnostic

Convince me I am wrong

>former proddy
>now another kind of proddy
???

>redpill me
Fuck off.

Agnostics aren't protestants

>Agnostics aren't protestants
next you'll say something silly like atheists aren't protestants either

>Convince me I am wrong
The problem with agnosticism is not that it's wrong (because it's obviously right), but that it's not a real position. Saying that you're an agnostic is like not saying anything. I'm an agnostic too, but I'm also an atheist.

Ok. Why am I wrong?

Ok. I just don't know once I realized how messy christianity was

I think Agnosticism is okay as a transition belief but I don't think it's really sustainable to just keep saying >well who knows guys I certainly don't but we'll never really know haha!
At some point you'll have to decide that you're an atheist, a theist, or at least some kind of spiritual because agnosticism has no convictions behind it, you're just some guy in a life boat getting thrown around in the ocean.

I don't really understand why messy throws people off so much. Of course it is messy, it was written and compiled by human beings. That's why Protestants are so... annoying. Complete Biblical inerrancy makes absolutely no sense, and nobody believes that except crazy YEC proddies.
If you don't want messy then convert to Islam, because it's the least messy of them all.

At least make a choice though. Either say fuck it or pick something.

i liked how it all made me feel. for once i felt any sort of actual belief in a church, something i never felt at catholic churches.

Those are identical apart from semantic issues. We share sacrements all the time.

OP, download some podcasts from Ancient Faith radio. For something more, read The Way of a Pilgrim, The Path to Salvation, Laurus (a recent novel), The Ladder of Divine Ascent, or the Ascetic Homilies of Saint Isaac the Syrian if you want to dip into hardcore Orthodoxy.

Islam is messier than Judaism. And they all are messier than Zoroastrianism. And then there's Hinduism, which is messy as fuck, but in a good way. And Bahai, I don't think it's messy. Or relevant.

So you were impressed. Yes, it can happen. It also happens that people who are easily impressed make up idealistic images of things that impressed them, and become really obnoxious.

>Judaism
I guess if you like rabbinic Judaism.

>Zoroastrianism
We don't even really know for sure what these niggers believe and most of it isn't even available in English, yeah?

>Baha'i
Come on dude

is ancient faith ministry lso a good youtube channel? i watched a few videos
also, what about catechical lessons of cyril of jerusalem? ill read the ones you reccomended

>Christianity.

Because it's not supposed to be bait. That's what happens with people.

youre basicly saying its bad im concidering converting. It does not matter what my first motive to research is, that is what simply started me on the journey to inquire if i want to do this. To convert i wont be relying solely on a gut feeling - i either accept the dogma and cotrine or i dont. Thats what matters - once i know what the hell i wanna throw myself into, do i accept it or not

I dunno, I haven't their YouTube, but I strongly recommend A Word from the Holy Fathers, a podcast.

I haven't read him, so I can't say, but he's a canonized saint so you can't go wrong. Another good intro to the faith is The Orthodox Church is One, by Khomiakov. Also An Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith, by Saint John of Damascus.

>Absence of evidence is evidence of non-existence

youtube.com/watch?v=j6m_XgJ5zOQ

Saint Vladimir converted Rus based purely on the services.

Orthodoxy is not some specialized sect like Druze, Orthodoxy is the original form of Christianity, and if you are considering Christianity, it's the only way to go.

>What should i know before converting?

youtube.com/watch?v=6KV6PXSODgE

What is Apophatic theology?

Get the Orthodox Study Bible

amazon.com/Orthodox-Study-Bible-Hardcover-Christianity/dp/0718003594/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492453059&sr=8-1&keywords=orthodox study bible

This guy is wrong and an idiot

Fucking Christ. You weren't ever Bhuddist and you're not going to be an Eastern Orthodox Christian either.

You probably can't keep a job either.

It's as bullshit and pagan as Catholicism, and you know it.

Water does not wash away your sins.

Holy oil does not allow the Holy Spirit entrance into your body.

You're just getting a bath, and a rubdown.

Agnostic in latin is "ignoramus".

I cannot prove you wrong in your claim that you are an ignoramus.

Yes, bible believing Christians are so crazy that we should just worship a psychotic murderous pedophile.

>original form of Christianity

In Europe of all places. That would be like someone claiming the Catholic Church is the original form of Christianity.

If your shit came from Paul you fucked up. The stupid liar never even met Jesus.

I see satan's brigade is here.

Acts 9
And as he (Saul) journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

>hat would be like someone claiming the Catholic Church is the original form of Christianity.
it is

We should just stick with Peter, huh.

2 Peter 3
And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

And you believed that stupid shit.

I see what you did there.