Why did Sartre support Stalin of all people? Was it merely political stupidity/naivete on his part...

Why did Sartre support Stalin of all people? Was it merely political stupidity/naivete on his part, or was there something more malicious behind his politics?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Paul_Sartre#Career_as_public_intellectual
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

French "intellectuals" love being edgy and avant garde, and their obscurantism allows them to rationalize anything.

Was that before he travelled to Cuba to support/interview Castro and Guevara? Because eventually the Cuban commies took a dim view of the USSR and their brand of Marxist Lenninism.

A question.

And yet they NEVER repudiated their own fawning admiration for the USSR when it seemed like it was a going concern. Never listen to anyone who can't admit when he was wrong.

I don't think he was trying to make some kind of "malicious" point by supporting Stalin, he was just naive and thought that any kind of Communism would be better than Fascism and Capitalism. He turned his brain off when it came to politics.

>Because eventually the Cuban commies took a dim view of the USSR and their brand of Marxist Lenninism
But that's wrong you retard, the USSR remained the main patron of Cuba all the way to its collapse. The cubans tried to get closer to Mao, who was marxist-leninist as fuck, but eventually had to backtrack on it when china grew increasingly more capitalist under Deng Xiaoping from 1976 onwards.

Chomsky talked about how French intellectual circles were completely insulated from anti commie propaganda and didn't even learn about the gulags and the purges until the late 70s. Seems like bullshit but it makes sense I guess.

That seems wrong, if I recall correctly there was a huge western commie outcry over the Holodomur.

Once the gulags and shit became more and more exposed, Sartre denounced Stalin

Because he couldn't see straight when it came to politics

>gulags and the purges

US has a higher prison pop. percentage wise and total population than any "estimates" for the USSR. No one has a problem with that.

USSR was facing literal extinction. Getting rid of traitor military commanders isn't so bad. Compared to US nuking men, women, and children for nothing.

All in all, compared to the UK or US empires, the USSR was infinitely more humane and free.

>tankies are starting to become comfortable with posting on Veeky Forums again

Its not wrong, Simon Leys was one of the first to denounce the idealization of Mao in the 70s with a book he wrote while in China. The entire pseudo-intellectuals community harassed him for the longest time, trying to discredit him, ruin his work and name. And it wasnt until the 90s that some of them tried to apologize.

wew lad

>implying they aren't paid Russian shills

You can't be serious?

>this level of delusion

...are you a dedushka?

Locking someone up for committing crimes after being given a fair trial =/= Sending someone to die in a forced labour camp

Fuck off you commie apologist.

>Locking someone up for committing crimes after being given a fair trial

Doesn't the patriot act do away with that?

>the empire that disbanded with no military action to keep it's territory and no political allegiance beyond an informal colaition of former colonies
>worse than the empire that excuted it's brightset military minds before the biggest conflict in world history for wrongthink
hmmmmmmm

>0.2 rubles have been deposited into your account

>"If one rereads all my books, one will realize that I have not changed profoundly, and that I have always remained an anarchist."[45] He would later explicitly allow himself to be called an anarchist.[46][47]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Paul_Sartre#Career_as_public_intellectual

It was trendy. Being trendy, hip and in the know was all Sartre worried about, from philosophy, to art, to politics. He and Beauvoir were basically the Kennedys of intellectuals, except obviously none of the administrative substance of Jack

t. Reddit

>Sending someone to die in a forced labour camp
>most prisoners survived and lived normal life after
what did he mean by that?