Crypto old fag here

listen up faggots. I've been on the crypto wild ride since 2013, since before Veeky Forums was explicitly created as a containment board for cryptos because it was shitting up /g/ (I bet you didn't know that). the board has been especially shitty lately though so I'm going to try to give y'all a little perspective.

I've lost money and I've made money, so here's a message to the newcoiners out there. you likely entered the market in a bull run, then ended up getting burned. for me that was 2013-2014. then if you stay dedicated, over time you will learn to spot winners from losers, short pumps, incoming dumps, and long holds. you're going to lose money early on, this is part of the deal that comes with learning how the crypto markets work.

currently we're at a cross roads. the market can't decide if it's bullish or bearish, and market manipulation is at an ALL time high, so it could go either way, especially on the cusp of the bitcoin fork.

so here's my advice:
-if you can only afford to invest

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/alexsunnarborg/status/880874538317357056
bitcoinist.com/luke-jr-one-purpose-segwit2x-stall-segwit-empower-bitmain/
coindesk.com/bip-148-segwit2x-bitcoin-scaling-compromise-might-not-easy/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

My portfolio is 75% BTC and 25% ANS. I recommend you all start doing the same.

Thanks op even if that's pasta

thank you for sharing, as a newfag this seems like a great perspective. i will continue to hodl what little i've invested and observe and learn before making too many more moves.

I've got a feeling shitcoins will continue to dip as people pull their money towards safer coins. Lately a lot of portfolios are starting to look like BTC/ETH/LTC + ANS/XRP/ICN

it's not pasta, I'm just tired of how much the board has degraded lately.

it's always good to hold a percentage of shit if you can afford it. I'm about 80% ETH (I got in early) and 20% altcoins, including some ANS. risky alts are the real money makers.

the truth is though ANS is chinese and can't really be trusted, so it's only good right now if you got in early if you plan to hold a large position. and BTC is not a money maker anymore, it's too expensive, and it's a toss up until august because core supportrts will still be enforcing segwit nodes and the segwit2x signalers may refuse to go to 2MB blocks and cause the, again chinese mining cartel to go nuclear. hopefully the next few weeks shake out that situation a bit more.

What I'd like to know is how often do bull markets come around on average and how long do they last?

It seems to me we get a bull market maybe twice a year and it lasts a month each time with the remainder of the year being a bear market

>I'm about 80% ETH (I got in early) and 20% altcoin
Same
Hope we make it, bro

I'm a newcoiner and I have around 800 euros to invest, I don't really see the interest to hodl on bitcoin or ethereum right now even if I understand they have almost guaranteed growth the time to make the most of it (2013/2014) is long gone.

I project to do:
60% ANS
20% NMR
10% SC
10% Ripple

What do you think ?

>feminism.gif
source?

Please stop educating other people, frog.

60% BTC
30% LTC
6% ANS
2% NMR
1% SC
1% Ripple

in a bear market that's a great way to turn your 800 euros into 80 euros.

>the market can't decide if it's bullish or bearish
>bitcoin fork
what does this mean?

Also, is it actually possible for a crypto to completely die of? As in, can't be revived, or will it just become damned cheap and never recover?

>What do you think ?
You seem clueless. Read what you buy before you buy.

>strong coin
>Eth, litecoin

And there going goes your credibility

Sage

not often. if you mean "major" bull market, this is only the 2nd one. the first one being 3-4 years ago. however it's still not clear if it's turned bear yet, this might just be a major correction still. plus if public adoption takes place soon, that could change everything.

>what does this mean?
Whether the trend will be up or down. Whether the price will be going up or down for let's say the following couple of months.

the game has changed though . global awareness of crypto is going parabolic. i'm not certain but i feel like we won't see crashes like we used to (ie 80% reduction in value )

same here. got it at around 10 bucks per for eth. good luck to us.

so then what just bitcoin?

you're clearly emotionally attached to your bitcoins friend. times are changing and the fact of the matter is that centralization may in fact send the bitcoin blockchain into complete disarray the last week of july.

the problem is exchanges need to have nodes up and markets listed for whatever chain(s) survive after the fork. segwit, segwit2x, or unlimited most likely.

but, spinning up bitcoins node with an exchange tier deposit/withdrawal system is no small feat. so if markets aren't listed for the chains people want to sell, they simply won't be able to. it could be days or weeks before the exchanges have the right markets listed, especially if it's a large exchange that needs to do extensive QA before deploying.

also there's the political factor - what symbols will the exchanges use for each market? the core devs still don't support segwit2x so who will get to keep the BTC moniker? obviously every camp is going to fight for it.

you need to get with the times old man. the good thing about LTC and ETH is the dev communities and miners all work together. and charlie lee is back dedicating his full time to LTC.

how much do you think the heavy market manipulation going on now is due to whales wanting to accumulate cheap eth/ltc before the bitcoin shitshow starts?

are you guys me

I am currently "playing" with 100€ in coins. I started like a month ago, and since then I learned a lot about this world and about myself. I never realised how easy is to fail at holding your decisions, or how much this can obsess you. In the beginning I encompassed too many altcoins, and with time I corrected it (my coins now are mainly CFI and AGRS).
I must say that during my first week I have been very lucky, I ended having 250€, but after a series of bad decisions it fell to 90. Right now I am at 110, going slower but safer.

this is probably exactly what's happening. it's the last chance to buy cheap ETH and LTC. I do hope BTC doesn't completely tank though, if it does my alts will tank along with it, and it would be bad for the whole crypto ecosystem and hurt public trust.

Your opinion on eth tokens? Specifically GNT, ANT, BNT

Okay, but is bull up or down?

there isn't going to be a buttcoin shitshow you fucking hayseed.

bull=up, bear=down

Use google you fucking mongloid STOP cluttering a good discussion.

I'm a complete newfag and I'm interested in crypto. What do you recommend newfags read/watch to get a good foundation in the relevant economics, tech, etc. for crypto?

Bulls push up with their horns
Bears slash down with their claws

Or just remember (standing bulls horns go up, standing bears claws point down)

not as great as it was a few weeks ago. I made $10k+ on golem because I bought at 0.02 and sold at 0.62, I still think it's a good long term coin though and might re-buy in the coming months, but I wanted to take profits before the market dip started. ANT looks like it has potential because it's unique, and hasn't been manipulated too bad. probably a good buy if you're willing to risk money on an altcoin currently.

and the problem with BNT now was the money grab scam ICOs, which bancor directly helped fuel. regular folks got burned because they missed it, and whales got burned because it's now 30%+ below the ICO price. so even if they provide a unique service, the market doesn't trust them anymore. I wouldn't put a large position into it until it can prove it has legs.

there's no magic book or guide to learn this. it's like learning a trade or a sport. you have to participate and observer and gain experience. but don't just browse in echo chambers like biz. subreddits for coins and crypto markets, bitcointalk forums, telegram groups. you have to read them all to get a read on both the logical investors and the market manipulators, so you know when you're being lied to (like when reading r/bitcoin).

so put some money on an exchange and start watching charts, orderbooks, and volumes. that's the only way you'll learn. look for cheap coins with high volume that haven't been shilled too drastically yet.

>the market doesn't trust them anymore. I wouldn't put a large position into it until it can prove it has legs.
thanks. i need to gauge market sentiment better desu, not rely on my own belief in a project.

keep in mind the only way to make 50-100x+ gains is by buying the riskiest coins. buying the big coins right now might be safe, but it's not nearly as profitable as new, cheap alts. if you can afford to throw down money that you may never see again, it could be a huge payoff. then again, you may lose it all. I'm currently down 60% on MYST, luckily I only put about $1800 in it, and it is so unique it may become big in the next few of years. if not, oh well.

This but drop SC.

>global awareness of crypto is going parabolic
Awareness but do you think they are buying? This shows how many people hold eth tokens in wallets. twitter.com/alexsunnarborg/status/880874538317357056

Fuck u siablob to d's mun

So regardless of the dips and crashes we may have in the short term, are you bullish in the long term? If so, this seems to be one of the few points in which most people seem to agree. Some people say that most decent altcoins are poised for geometric growth in the next years

yes. the public is finally starting to hear about cryptos now, and not just in the context of darknet markets which is still a stigma that bitcoin can't seem to shake off in the public view. all the news articles refer to cryptos as "blockchain" like a proper noun though, which is always weird to hear. and companies are starting to really see the potential with distributed ledger systems and how they could cut out the middleman and costs of their current solutions. both ETH and BTC have some work to do with scaling though. ETH is going to fix some of that with the metropolis update and eventually proof of stake/sharding, but who knows what bitcoin is going to do. they are too centralized to reach a consensus on blockchain changes anymore.

noob here. can you determine anythinig of use on the 5m graph on cryptowatch? or is it not a long enough sample size? it looks like an inverse head and shoulders on ETH/USD but like i said, im a noob so what do i know

Thanks. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before buying a dip and holding.

>charlie lee is back dedicating his full time to LTC.

no one cares

>r/bitcoin
That's the worst sauce online on BTC.

no, there's really no point at looking at anything less than 30min candles. for big markets like ETH and BTC you should be looking at candles from 4H to 1D at least to really see anything at all.

but if you look at the graph of the 5m you can see a head and shoulders pattern, no? that's why i had a feeling it would go up at this moment, even if it is only briefly

i meant to say and inverse head and shoulders pattern, sorry

unless you are trying to day trade nominal amounts to get a daily income going then it's pointless, that means nothing on a longer than a day scale. and I don't recommend day trading. if you are in the US and don't plan on evading taxes, the record keeping required for a shit ton of orders would be suicide inducing. I only have a couple thousand trades overall and have spent many sleepless nights putting tax data together over the years.

in what respect was LTC more original than, like, any other coin?
it was original by being the FIRST copy-cat of BTC?

Hey OP newcoiner here, advice would be greatly appreciated. Do you really think ETH is a viable platform or is it destined to crash and burn for the scam many claim it is?

i don't give advice to you charlies. oldfag just like OP. here is a freebie. this will be my only post no questions.

anything less than 4 hours will not really help you determine any substantial market moves. for crypto i find 1D and 1W to be sufficient in most cases.

in order to read the market you have to be capable of identifying supply and demand. which is relatively easy in crypto since supply is fixed persay. the answer of supply and demand is some form of analysis regarding volume (market activity), price action (candles make this super easy, the thick part [body] are the open and close prices the thin part [wicks] are the highs and lows) , and price spreads(basically correlation of close prices related to volume within a timeframe).

BTCUSD is a fraction, 1BTC/2500USD. you want to own BTC in exchange of USD. fundamentally this is the barter system.

im not arguing in favor of day trading, i am only wondering if it is possible to infer the direction that the market will be going on the 5m graph. maybe it was just a coincidence, but it seemed like it was going to go up at this point based off of what the 5m graph was doing.

according to that, it should meet resistance at $265 and fall a bit

70 btc
30 pivx
110% win

thanks for your response

>since before Veeky Forums was explicitly created as a containment board for cryptos because it was shitting up /g/ (I bet you didn't know that).
stopped reading after that.
fuck off newfag.

Litecoin wasn't even the first altcoin, not only that it was a fork of Tenebrix, Charlie Lee literally just copy/pastad an existing scrypt coin.

no problem. i lied about that being my only post lel. you can find a good primer to markets here:

great book by Tom Williams. sorry i have to sell it but the small fee is to weed out fucks that don't actually want to learn something.

satoshibox com wuv2mdhhg7ed2385k68edmua

This book is Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell. great book will get you seeing how markets work. if you can't read audiobook is on youtube. free

my [dot] mixtape moe
zvdoiu.pdf

fuck off autist, this is probably best biz thread in a long time. go back to r9k

i will be listening to that, thanks. i am new but i love learning this stuff. very fascinating. i try to soak up as much information as i can like a sponge. my favorite so far are the Fibonacci retracement lines. how is it that they can be so accurate so consistently? and the fact that the Fibonacci sequence can be found so often in the real world and how it also works in markets really baffles me

OP I have 2k in BTC what do I do to suffer the least from the fork?

>2013
>old fag
kek, you have no idea what you're talking about. altcoins is where the money is at. investing in BTC or Ethereum is only worthwhile if you're already rich and you can afford 5000$+ investments. getting rich with cryptocurrency is only possible by betting on a cryptocoin, then waiting for years in hope of 1000% profit. all other methods are bullshit and not worth the time.

>thinks bitcoin, the king of cryptos, won't moon again

it's viable. if you spend time outside of the echo chamber known as Veeky Forums you'll see it too. just look at the work EEA is doing. VISA is hiring ethererum developers right now.

Wrong. They are hiring anyone with blockchain experience, not specifically ethereum.

who told you that? did you read the job req? because I did. it was titled as a blockchain developer for "bitcoin and ethereum" but then listed Solidity as one of the requirements. an ethereum developer.

If only there was a coin designed from the beginning to avoid these political disputes...oh wait.

I'm starting a mining operation. Currently have 4 bitcoins, that are like from the dawn of bitcoin ( we bought them, because we wanted .bit domains, but I never bought the domains.
I've never mined in my life, but since I have free(ish) electricity, it's worth the try I think.
My question to the board :
I have about 10k euros free to invest - Do I buy more BTC and some ETH and wait it out, until it explodes or goes down burning ? Or just make the cryptothink a hobby and look into investing somewhere else?

brb, putting more money into Golem

Super informative thread... Thanks user. I'm cost-averaging a nice chunk of cash (100-200k, not 100% sure yet) into crypto to "gamble" with. This is a relatively small piece of net worth, so I guess I fall into the latter category. I wouldn't be happen if I lost it, but I wouldn't be ruined either. I see a ton of long-term potential in crypto, assuming the governments don't fuck this up like they do everything else.

OP, any suggestions? I'm relatively competent in money/business/investing... But this is a whole new world and a really interesting time to invest considering the market over the last few months. What would you do with $150k right now if you were just getting going?

Also, where are you located? East Coast, USA here

What If I've got around 10 grand and potentially 80 grand in home equity to invest?

What ever happened to Woolong? I remember the days he would make up coins just to pump, PND. He even had a little book. Not sure if anyone still has it though.

What is "moon"

This is literally my first day looking into this stuff.

dude fucking off yourself, lurk for literally 5 minutes and you would find out

I've been lurking for 2 hours but I just wanted to find out what moon means. The way you used it sounds like it will tank.

But moon could also mean shoot to the moon so I'm not sure.

They're just using space travel as a euphemism for beating their wives

>the good thing about LTC and ETH is the dev communities and miners all work together.
Are you retarded? They'll run into the same shit eventually as Bitcoin if they manage to stay relevant in any way. Ethereum already split once.

I am brand new to this crypto craziness and have been a lurker on this board for awhile trying to gather any useful info possible. Has been a bit difficult. It is refreshing to see some actual sound advise, so thank you to the OP. I am a mid 40's female, business owner so no not a retard, not a fag. This forum is entertaining for sure but probably not the place to actually learn anything. Will be checking out the book that was recommended. Thanks for the laughs and will continue to read here with the certainty that there is not a whole lot to really gain other than maybe this thread. Cheers!

I'm just going to lay this out here and hope for a real answer.

I bought in just over one month ago. I only hold alts (bnt, snt, ark, ant, strat, ubq, wings, gnt, bat). I was doing pretty well until these recent dips but now I am close to hitting my initial investment. Right now I am only about 12% up.

Should I sell everything and wait for the market to show its true face in a month or so?

ETC is only alive because, shillbert, who is hack is keeping it alive. he's also shitting up bitcoin now too, so he's an equal opportunity shitter.

those were the days man. and fontass too.

I don't like giving advice on how much to invest, because the potential to lose it all is so very real. all it would take is sweeping regulations or technical failures to wipe out the crypto market. do I think that will happen? no. all I can say is if I were looking to invest anything in the $10-100k+ range, I would probably do majority ETH because it is currently in a large dip, it's bitcoin's largest contender and may overshoot btc in marketcap, and also has a functioning development community with solid road map. full disclosure my ETH stack is worth about 80k+

if you can afford possibly losing the money, you should hold. once we leave the bear market you should see good returns.

>price of Ethereum starts to go up
>suddenly 1000 sell walls start popping up
what did they mean by this?

1000 Ethereum sell wall*

lol@ANS/XRP/ICN

no

You are the only good poster I've seen on here in a while(Fuck the tripfags here) . You actually answer questions and have been backing your shit up like a man. You're great and you have an amazing life my dude.

Thanks for the actual informative and helpful posts,user. even if it was brought on by absolute shit posting that's been rampant lately

xoxo

thanks I'm glad there's a few good people left on Veeky Forums. what good is knowledge if I don't share it.

Andreas antonopolis. literally no one else can be trusted.

The dip hasn't even started yet.
2013 Bubble went up to ATH, then dipped hard, then recovered to somewhere below ATH, then went horizontal for a few months, then black swan event kicked off huge multi-year bear market.

Will be the same thing this time. None of the new investors have felt real pain yet. They will.

What are your predictions (if any) about August 1st?
I'm doing a lot of research and views are pretty comflicted. I'm almost considering putting a lot of BTC into ETH while it's low and holding until after the August madness settles down.

Decent idea?

I think you aren't taking into account 2013 was a long time ago. the public wasn't ready for crypto yet. back then it was just nerds, speculators, and people buying drugs off silk road. now corporations are developing their own private blockchains and normies are bringing the coinbase site down with every pump and every dump. the public may be ready for this to go mainstream this time around.

it's extremely difficult to say. segwit2x was being signaled by 80% of the network but that may be faulting. best case scenario everything goes as planned, they get through the last week of july and everything is kosher aug1. that still doesn't stop closet core supporters to refuse 2MB blocks later down the line. all that is is a verbal agreement.

plus the bitcoin core team is still refusing to support 2x.
bitcoinist.com/luke-jr-one-purpose-segwit2x-stall-segwit-empower-bitmain/
I've read luke-jr's reddit profile. the guy is a fucking psycho, fit for a straight jacket. all he does is shitpost in the bitcoin subreddits and debate people over christianity. no lie.

it probably won't shake out for another couple of weeks. they have to start the process a few days before 8/1 so we should know by then.

coindesk.com/bip-148-segwit2x-bitcoin-scaling-compromise-might-not-easy/
>Blockstream chief strategy officer Samson Mow, for one, doesn't think it's possible to mandate that all users uphold the hard fork portion of the SegWit2x agreement – the part that could lead to a split. Other developers have argued that it's impossible to mandate that everyone switch to the 2MB version at a technical level.

>Because of these technical complications, some in the community doubt that the companies that signed on to the SegWit2x proposal will see through with making the 2MB upgrade.

>"Basically it's a promise that can't and won't be kept," Mow argued.

>plus the bitcoin core team is still refusing to support 2x.
I'm wondering if public pressure could get them to change their minds, or at least change their actions.

But yeah that guy does not seem like a rational agent acting in the best interest of Bitcoin :\

Thanks for the link mate. It's nice to have informative and helpful posters on here

email me
[email protected]

I'm 95% BNT will go up to at least 20 USD.

95% sure*