Where does morality come from?

Other urls found in this thread:

edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2011/07/does-morality-depend-on-god.html?m=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

instinct

God.

Then how come moral systems tend to differ so much between different societies.

What if god doesnt exist?

it doesn't

Our natural ends.

Well they clearly do. Its immoral to perform fgm in the west whereas it is in the middle east

ius naturale

Natural (instinctive) empathy shaped by culture and justified by reason.

The underlying value structure which leads to fgm is also present in western peoples

Moreover, the underlying value structure of tribal instinct which leads eskimos to commit infanticide is also present in western peoples

Radical cultural difference is illusory. Which is not to say moral differences between cultures are unimportant, but they can't be understood as actually reflecting different values imo

I've had many so opportunities where I could steal shit like open car windows with wallets that I could just pick up and walk away knowing 100% I won't get caught

but the only reason I don't do it is because god-sama will punish me either in my life or in hell.

Any answer other than God is wrong.

Irrelevant to the human condition.

edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2011/07/does-morality-depend-on-god.html?m=1

I remember this article being quite good. Useful for OP.

This. It comes from above us, and is dictated to us, and is enforced over us.

This can only effectively be the case of it were one with our nature to an extent.

The wills universal to us
t. Kant

Responsible for the existence of humans.

It will be the case when you are cast into hell for placing your faith in the Whore of Babylon.

Nature is not above us.

We have dominion over nature.

It's the opposite of our nature.

Are you the fake papist tripfag, or the real papist tripfag.

Nature + Education.

Did God just wave his hand and decide randomly, which action is right and which action is wrong.

Flip a coin to decide whether or not sodomy is an abomination, or whether or not one can derive an ought from an is?

Sounds pretty fucking arbitrary and stupid to me?

No, they are of his nature. God, the things of God, the thoughts of God, the actions of God; these are good.

Things contrary to God, contrary to the Law of God, contrary to the thoughts of God, contrary to the actions of God, contrary to the purposes of God; these things are evil.

As God is holy, just and righteous, the latter things will all be judged harshly. Some more harshly than others.

As God is loving and merciful, he has provided a way out of that judgment, a way purchased with the lifeblood of his only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, on a cross at Calvary 2000 years ago.

If you neglect so great a sacrifice, so great a salvation, you have no hope. You will never be like God, and you will never overcome God.

Butthurt and sour grapes

A perfect being cannot be arbitrary, sorry!

So many platitudes

> A perfect being cannot be arbitrary
I didn't say God was arbitrary, I said his decision making was.

How do you define perfect btw? What makes God perfect, and why are these attributes intrinsically good? We arrive at the same problem.

Listing dogmatic platitudes is never a satisfactory answer to a question. You just sound like a cultist.

>They are of his nature
You cannot derive an ought from an is.

In addition, this implies that what is good/bad existed before God existed; the logical conclusion of this is that morality was instilled in to God... by whom or what?

Of course, you will disagree with this since God is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, etc, etc.

So, user, is it pious because it is loved, or is it loved because it is pious? You won't like either answer you give.

>underlying value structure

what a beautifully vague phrase to explain the cause of fgm. for surely it could not be islam that promotes fgm oh no no it is those pesky /underlying value structures/ that only the enlightened and educated can perceive and explain to the rest of us provincial rubes who were so stupid to think that islam had something to do with it!

you see human cultures are actually all the same they only look different because ignorant people cannot see the underlying value structures that are universal everywhere. yes the west may appear to promote democracy but the underlying value structure that leads to a wahhabist theocracy is present there if only those racist westerners could just put aside the privilege for a moment and open their eyes!

God's decision making cannot be arbitrary. I'm sorry that your weak mind cannot comprehend that a being so much greater than oneself might have thought processes beyond your own.

No, that would just be racist.

Where is the platitude from my comment...?

The totality of it

Group selection/ social evolution

evolution
t. evolutionary psych/cog sci

>muh ideology sez so
>so iz troo

does that surprise you???
religion does the same thing. other scientific fields do the same thing.

give me any prolific ideology that doesn't profess itself as the truth.

All wrong faggots.

I tell you how morality came into existence.

Way back everyone was a murdering, stealing rapist.

But some smart people (usually the most successful murderers and rapists who became leaders) realized that in such a climate of violence nothing constructive can be achieved.

So they used their power to make murdering and raping illegal for everyone except them. (Usually by murdering murderers and indoctrinating people with fairy tales of a sky god). The end.

The demiurge to entrap men and ensnare them with false religions so they worship him like these people do, cursing themselves and forfeiting their existence and freedom and happiness and ignoring the true God.

Reason causing rational agents to act upon representations of laws based upon good will.

Ie it comes from rationality and psychological processes.

LE SKY GOD MEME XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Evolution & logic.

Maximum tipping