Was the bombing of Dresden really necessary?

Was the bombing of Dresden really necessary?

It was payback for two World Wars albeit on a considerably lesser level.

Take that as you will.

The carpet bombing of civilians probably wasn't t b h, the operation was originally supposed to target the industrial sector of Dresden and to destroy german infrastructure choke points as both the western and eastern front were closing in one another in order to prevent as much guerilla "resistance" warfare as possible.

But in the end they went for the "let's destroy the german morale" attitude. And yes, there was a certain element of payback into this.

It was morally justified

The idea was to keep the Germans from holing up and fighting a delaying action against the Red Army.

With the power of retrospect, we now realize that if anything slowing down the Soviets for a little bit so that the Americans can take Berlin might be a good thing.

At the time it was a completely reasonable reaction to an insane situation.

Absolutely

DO IT AGAIN BOMBER HARRIS
AGAIN AGAIN AND AGAIN

No, obviously Germany was going to lose the war one way or the other.

No but it was funny and all the Germans deserved it anyway.

Most professional historians and military experts would say it was not necessary.

Fat edgy autistic ubervirgins on 4chin and Brits will say it was justified

Do it again bomber Harris!

We got slaughterhouse 5 out of it and lots of Germans died, so yeah.

I, for one, am of the opinion that he should DO IT AGAIN.

>Most professional historians and military experts would say it was not necessary.
Source?

Its funny seeing non-English peoples support English wars.

Ouch. Nigel whacked Hans with his Big British Cock like he was an Indian.

>reap the whirlwind

Yep. Kill off Nationalist governments instead of allying with them, enjoying anti-Nationalism at home.

No, we did it because G*rmans must be exterminated

Will Sharia Germany destroy Europe for real this time?

It's not like Nazi govermnent would be somehow different from your pic, tbeh.

>projecting modern day political situations to a war that happened 80 years ago

youre a very stupid person

does anyone know how many british PoWs died at dresden?

DO IT AGAIN HARRIS
DO IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN

>100 years from now we will have german jihadists

>wehraboos whining about Dresden
>not a peep about Operation Gomorrah
>not the 1,000 bomber raid on Cologne
So I take it Wehraboos and stormfags know nothing beyond meme history?

Truly the greatest tragedy of the war.

>larping as a Jew
Depends if Schultz wins
>win war
>kill all Nationalist governments
>Mosley's career over
>immediately vote in Labour

>Schultz

Funny how the pro-refugee polticians are all pro-Jew as well

Was the Holocaust really necessary?
Was the terror-bombing of London, Rotterdam, etc. really necessary?
Was slaughtering innocent civilians in the USSR really necessary?
Was executing POW's really necessary?
Was starting a war really necessary?

>Was the Holocaust really necessary?
The Germans were more than willing to repatriate the Jews to Palestine under the Havaara Agreement. Had the UK and France not declared war the process would have continued
>Was the terror-bombing of London, Rotterdam, etc. really necessary?
Some yes, some no.
>Was slaughtering innocent civilians in the USSR really necessary?
We're discussing Hitler not Yagoda user
Thats grossly exaggerated and lied about
>Was executing POW's really necessary?
Like I said, we're discussing Germany not Stalin
>Was starting a war really necessary?
Ask the French and UK, they're the ones who declared war on Germany

>The Germans were more than willing to repatriate the Jews to Palestine under the Havaara Agreement. Had the UK and France not declared war the process would have continued
*sigh* guess we can't deport all those pesky jews, better start a genocide!

>Some yes, some no.
Right, bombing civilians really proved to be a worthwhile, result-bearing strategy

>We're discussing Hitler not Yagoda user
>Thats grossly exaggerated and lied about

Gee I sure wonder what happened to those 12 million Soviet civilians?

>Like I said, we're discussing Germany not Stalin

Is that why over 50% of Soviet POW's died in German captivity?

>Ask the French and UK, they're the ones who declared war on Germany

Right, I'm sure they had 0 reason to defend their ally from honest, peaceful Germany

>genocide
Most camps were labour camps, I still remain unconvinced the death camps existed to solely kill civilians.

Bombing civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki ended the war without a costly US invasion

12 million RUSSIAN civilians did not die, I never trust Soviet numbers and neither should you.

See above, also the ROA's existence shits on those numbers.

France and the UK didn't attack the USSR, only Germany. I often wonder whether Stalin was working in concert with the UK and France in order to goad Germany into war.

>Right, bombing civilians really proved to be a worthwhile, result-bearing strategy

God I hate Veeky Forums. Warfare prior to the modern era often consisted of wiping out your enemy completey. Why? Because the civilians you spare become the next generation of enemies. This is why the West is falling, too weak and sanctimonious.

>I often wonder whether Stalin was working in concert with the UK and France in order to goad Germany into war.

Doubtful. I think the answer stems from realpolitik - the British and French couldn't sit by and watch Germany grow in power and shift the balance of power in its favor so rapidly. They felt (rightly imo from a purely practical point of view) that they had to stop Germany before it got too powerful.

Given the defensive military strategy of the French and the poor state of the British army - the allies already had their hands full trying to figure out how to fight Hitler. Stalin basically got a free pass to carve up his piece of Poland and while it still is seen as a betrayal by many people Poles, the allies had no real means to fight the Soviets and it would be completely impractical, lunatic actually.

I thought the French were, although defensive, militarily capable of being offensive and their loss was due to strategic failures rather than military capability.
I agree with the idea that war with the USSR and Germany would have been difficult, night impossible, but the treaty was to fight Poland's enemies and invaders, not just selectively Germany.