Hftddtot

Historical Facts that don't deserve their own thread.

I'll start: John. J. Pershing's original nickname was not "Black Jack" but "Nigger Jack", and he was named so not for his service with the 10th Negro Cavalry, nut for his personality and conduct as a West Point Instructor.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YZ79i11JSnU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Dexter
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_de_Gaulle
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Jean Baptiste Bernadotte made a career starting as French commoner, officer in the French R Revolutionary army and ended up as King of Sweden as Charles XIV John of Sweden. To this day his descendants hold the title King of Sweden.

Alexander Selkirk was a Scottish privateer who was marooned on a deserted island for 4 years because his captain couldn't handle the bantz. He lived a marvelous life of adventure and danger, but died rather anticlimacticly of disease while sailing as a privateer years after being saved from the island, getting married, and becoming a small celebrity. He was buried at sea, with which I can only assume, was done without fanfare or dignity.

Alexander the great, Frederick the Great and Prince Eugene of Savoy where the top military commanders of their time, and gay to the bone.

The job of royal ass wipe did really exist, in England this servant held the title of Groom of the Stool and the position was highly prestigious!

there were still herds of wooly mammoth in remote parts of northern siberia at the time the great pyramids were being built

the amount of time between the great pyramids being built and cleopatras life is greater than the time from cleopatras life to the present by a few centuries

What about his personality and conduct gave him that name though

In 1478 at the battle of Giornico, 600 Swiss managed to beat 10'000 Milanese knights. The flooded a mountain valley and created an artificial ice field, then used crampons to fight the struggling Milanese.

too strict

The Captain von Trapp from The Sound of Music was a reasonably accomplished submarine captain in WW1, with 11 merchant sinkings and two warships, a French armored cruiser and Italian submarine.

I really wanna write an alternate history with him signing up with the USN in WW2 and bullying japs inna Gato.

Public executioner was a well payed job in the late medieval and early modern period. The most profitable side income for executioners was selling body parts and especially fresh blood for use in medicines. Often the executioner was also the official whore monger of the town.

During the retreat from Moscow, as the army crossed the battlefield of Borodin, at least one man injured in that battle was found still alive living off - and inside - a horse carcass.

German submarine U-1206, a type VII C, sunk on the 14th February of 1945 off the coast of Scotland because of a malfunction in the toilet caused by the commander, Karl-Adolf Schlitt. 4 man died, 46 became captured.

man, what did he eat?

In 1980, Saddam Hussein received the key to the city of Detroit.

Y tho?

We were best buds at the time and he was killing those evil Iranians.

kek

While on trial for murders he carried out during the Lincoln County War, Billy the Kid wrote letters to Governor Lew Wallace offering to turn state's evidence for immunity. Wallace ended up kind of pulling a dick move and rescinding his offer at the last minute. So, Billy the Kid tried to be a snitch. That Lew Wallace was also the same one who wrote Ben Hur, which he was finishing up at the same time.

Jesse James's mother's name was Zerelda. That was also his wife's name. No, that wasn't a common name in Missouri at the time. His wife was actually his first cousin, and had been named after his mother.

Presumably because Coleman Young was insane

Edwin Boothe, brother of John Wilkes Boothe, saved Robert Lincoln from falling onto the path of a moving train just a few months before his father's assassination.

Imagine the Royal Navy bantz when they learned of the incident.

More like....hehe....Karl-Adolf Shitt

In the 1910s Vienna there was a small timeframe where Trotsky, Stalin, Hitler and Lenin were all living within the same few blockss.

yeah right I dont believe you

Not him but Hitler and Trotsky both frequented Cafe Central in the same period iirc, and Trotsky and Stalin met in Vienna at this time
Tito was about as well

>The Okhranka tracked down and arrested Jughashvili on 7 April 1908. After seven months in prison, he was sentenced to two years' exile. He arrived in the village of Solvychegodsk in early March 1909.[23] After seven months in exile, he disguised himself as a woman and escaped on a train to St Petersburg. He returned to Baku in late July.[24]

>On 5 April 1910 Stalin was yet again arrested by the Okhranka. He was banned from the Caucasus for five years and sentenced to complete his previous exile in Solvychegodsk. He was deported back there in September. In early 1911, Stalin's friends tried to sneak him some money to help his escape, but the fellow exile who was supposed to deliver the money instead kept it for himself - Stalin had the man shot in 1937 - and he was forced to return to Solvychegodsk.[26] During his exile, he had an affair with his landlady, Maria Kuzakova, with whom he fathered a son, Konstantin. Stalin was released on 1 July 1911

what is it about vienna that fucked them up mentally like that?

>he disguised himself as a woman and escaped on a train to St Petersburg
Stalin confirmed for waifu material.

French soldier looks at a town's poster during the invasion of Germany in 1939

I think you have it backwards they didnt get corrupted by vienna they went there because it was corrupt.

Gorbachev was the first Soviet Ruler to be born in the Soviet Union, after the name change. All the others had been born in the Empire.

*Revolution. Damn, I'm drunk.

>talin's friends tried to sneak him some money to help his escape, but the fellow exile who was supposed to deliver the money instead kept it for himself - Stalin had the man shot in 1937

When Nazi-Germany invaded Norway in 1940, there was a small contingent of Polish and French soldiers in the northern city of Narvik that fought hard to defend it.

They were ultimately defeated.

21 year old George Washington, as a British officer, started the French and Indian war which ended up with England getting Canada and the French getting the Louisiana territory which Jefferson bought later.

British tank crews drove in French R35s under the command of Norwegians.
The whole campaign was one beautiful clusterfuck on both sides, it's a shame that it doesn't get much coverage.

The German task force sent to capture the king was blunted by coastal defense forts firing guns and torpedoes from the 1890s

>instead of operating the levers in the right order to release the waste, he instead caused the surrounding sea water to flood the sub
>4 men drowned in his shit water, the rest bathed

>he lived to be 90
>no decorations

And still the Norwegians managed to hold on for the longest of any country that was invaded with the exception of the Soviet Union.

youtube.com/watch?v=YZ79i11JSnU

>no decorations
Not fully correct, he was presented pic related by RN officers whilst being held as POW

Why would they give him Virtuti Militari

>Fucking Zuma in the background
Can't we lynch this asshole already?

11 April 1954 is known as the most boring day of history, as simply nothing noteworthy happened on that day.

And I thought they smelled bad on the outside.

The oldest buildings, by a strict definition of building and not simply structure, in the world are not found in the alleged founding areas of civilization (Fertile Crescent, Nile Delta, etc.) but in continental Europe. The stone buildings are found all over, with the oldest in Britanny. The Barnenez predates any building found elsewhere by over a thousand years.

Stalin was born closer to Baghdad than to Moscow.

Gonna need a source on that brah

"Bettler und Gaukler, Dirnen und Henker" Franz Irsigler, Arnold Lassotta, dtv 2010 if you can into master race, otherwise "The Faithful Executioner: Life and Death, Honor and Shame in the Turbulent Sixteenth Century" by Joel F. Harrington.
Mind you Harrington tries to proof some SJW shit in his book, ignore, but the sources in it are great.

Don't even know anything about him but this made me lol

thanks homie

Cleopatra is closer in time to us than to the first pharaohs

Henry III or France, the last of the Valois kings, was stabbed to death by a monk whilst sitting on his potty.

The german task force sent to capture the king were slowed down by the royal guard recruits at the battle of midtskogen and the battle of lundehogda.
The king escaped because of this even though the germans were fallschirmjäger troops.

The german invasionforce was the ones that took the hits from the guns at oscarsborg fortress

Norwegians from tronderbataljon fought there too.
They pushed the germans back from lavangen to gratangen but due to having their hands tied by politics they didnt pursue and lost later on

Anyone got some good ol' Zukov quotes?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Dexter

The US had the original madman. He wrote a completely nonsensical book and caned his wife at a mock funeral for himself.

Historians are still unsure whether the third Emperor of the Achaemenid Dynasty was Cyrus the Great's son Bardiya, or being impersonated by a magi named Guamata.

Michel Ney

When Napoleon was defeated and exiled in 1815, Ney was court-martialed for treason. His lawyer tried to make the case that Ney could not technically be tried in a french hearing as his hometown had been annexed by Prussia. Ney interrupted the defense and stated "I am French and I will remain French." He was sentenced to death by firing squad.

He refused to wear a blindfold and commanded his own firing squad, his last words"

"Soldiers, when I give the command to fire, fire straight at my heart. Wait for the order. It will be my last to you. I protest against my condemnation. I have fought a hundred battles for France, and not one against her ... Soldiers, fire!"

anti-nationalism is a mistake.

John Philip Holland's real name was Seán Pilib Ó hUallacháin and he didn't speak English fluently until adulthood.

hehehe, underrated.

Carl Gustav Mannerheim spoke Swedish growing up, Russian as a General and as a citizen, by the time he was elected war minister and leader of Finland he barely had a knowledge of Finnish that he spoke through a translator. He ended up learning the language but spoke it with a Swedish accent

But of course! They were the only ones, besides from the queen or the king's lovers, to touch the King intimately!!

Charles De Gaulle's youngest daughter, Anne, had Down's syndrome. He kept a framed photo of her with him at all times, and the General credited the photo with deflecting a bullet and saving his life during an assassination attempt in 1962.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_de_Gaulle