Recommend me some good history about the Byzantine Empire, Veeky Forums, especially ones about this motherfucker

Recommend me some good history about the Byzantine Empire, Veeky Forums, especially ones about this motherfucker.

Byzantine general too, get in here my Romans.

>Byzaboos we wuzing again
Oh no sweetie it doesn't work this way

nice meme

The John Julius Norwich trilogy
"Byzantium: the Surpising life of a Medieval Empire"
"The World of Byzantium" - Kenneth Harl in the Great Courses lecture series

>Romans

SO YU BE SAYIN

is this any good?

*smacks lips*

I was the last Roman, all others were false

Lost to the West is a pretty good book. It's a complete summarized history of the the Byzantine empire. It doesn't get into much detail but it it very well written.

History of the Byzantine state by Ostrogorsky

WE RUZ ROMAN AND SHIIEEET

lol I literally did the exact same thing to a picture of Justinian just yesterday, I love that app

>when you massacre thousands of civilians for supporting the wrong sports team

"History of Byzantium" podcast is pretty good, bar the pay to listen eps

Came in here to recommend this. Robin Pierson does an amazing job. I personally think that this podcast is more historiographically current and topically diverse than just about any recent survey book you'll find. He has tangent episodes on Byzantine military, economics, religion that branch out from the linear narrative. He also has episodes occasionally that interview Byzantine historians/authors. It's an excellent place to start, and excellent for more advanced listeners as well.

>in an uphill struggle against the bulk of historiographical thought
>the guy that isn't is the -aboo
o i am laffin

I want to write a screenplay about Justinian (because I like writing screenplays, that shit is fun).

What's some good literature or non fiction that can give me an idea of what he was like a person

Read the Justinian Code

>sweetie
y-you too

>Romans

Yep

The Germans squatting in Rome speaking proto-Italian were more Roman than Stavros Papadoupolopolios

see
No one not retarded agrees with you, Hans.

>Citing Wikipedia
Don't you have a 100 level paper to be finishing up?

Reada the secret history by procopio

Find me one respectable historian that doesn't agree the Byzantine Empire was the direct continuation of the Roman Empire.

>Greek speaking
>Greek alphabet
>Greek culture
>Eastern Orthodox Christianity even before the schism
They are not culturally Roman at all my dude. That's like Calling the HRE run by medieval Krauts as being a true direct continuation of the Western Roman Empire.

>not a historian
But whatever, with that logic the Roman Empire itself was no longer Roman by the end:
>the language was different (Vulgar Latin vs old Latin)
>culturally it'd changed immensely over the centuries
>the religion had changed even before Christianity became the state church (old pantheon giving way to mystery cults and Sol Invictus)

The eastern side of Roman empire was always prefer Greek culture and spoke Greeks, even before they're divided, they admired Greek culture to the end. Romans even learnt their faggotory degeneracy from Greeks, and banned it again under the influence of Orthodox Christianity latter.

Nah you aren't gonna Jew me tonight Mehmet

its shitty rome

The HRE was a confederation of principalities that had zero political connection to the Western Roman Empire.
The Eastern Roman Empire was literally the Western Roman Empire's fellow administrative district, and at some points, the WRE's senior partner.
The WRE in the 3rd Century AD was really different from the Roman Empire in the 1st Century AD.

Jesus Christ. Every fucking time with you people.

When people say "the Byzantine Empire was the direct continuation of the Roman Empire" they're talking about POLITICAL CONTINUITY, not CULTURAL CONTINUITY. It was the same fucking political entity. Unquestionably. There was unbroken political continuity between the Western Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire, and no such continuity between the WRE and HRE.

You can say "the Germans were the inheritors of Roman culture, not the Byzantines" and plenty of people will agree with you, but that doesn't make them Romans any more than jacking off to Sailor Moon makes me Japanese.

The Byzantines were Romans and the Germans were not because the Byzantines belonged to the Roman state, right up until the Byzantine Empire fell. End of story.

it is get rekt by Turks in 1453...

>English speaking
>English alphabet
>English culture
>Anglican Christianity before the Italians and Mexican flood it
So lets stop calling it USA - it's England.
>But everyone called them USA and they call himself USA
They are not culturally USA at all my dude.
>Greek autistic superiority

>jacking off to Sailor Moon
I miss middle school

John Julius is a lord writing story narratives. Not that good a historian

USA revolted against the British Empire and became its own political entity.
"Byzantine" Empire was the eastern administrative and senior half of the Roman Empire.

well it didn't have zero connection to the WRE

Warren Treadgold - History of the Byzantine State and Society
John Haldon - Warfare, State And Society In The Byzantine World
The Cambridge Companion to the Age of Justinian
Anthony Kaldellis - The Byzantine Republic
Anthony Kaldellis - Hellenism in Byzantium

This is biggest redpill.

It did not have any connection to the WRE. The WRE was dead by half a millenium by the time the HRE happened, so no. Outside of name, not really.

>there are people who still believe that the Byzantine Empire is not the Roman Empire

I think connection is different from continuity however.

Is this series really shit? I know it isn't that comprehensive but does it contain a lot of inaccuracies?

Jesus was never a Byzantine ruler, for one thing.

I read the guy's book and it was pretty entertaining.

afaik he's not an academic but nothing in the book stood out to me as inaccurate, but I'm not an expert on Byzantine history.

>you will never have a qt Byzantine Princess-historian gf

this

>last Roman
>shitty meme emperor

shame desu

When did they start using these weird crowns and why? Did they cover the top of the head?

Yes it does