Japan

Let's talk about Japan.
What went wrong?

youtube.com/watch?v=HzKeEbHGn4s

Other urls found in this thread:

economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21707221-raising-japanese-wages-harder-it-looks-behind-pay-wall
financialsense.com/contributors/leslie-cuadra/2011/08/31/list-of-worlds-largest-creditor-and-debtor-nations
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-23/japan-s-fertility-rate-inches-to-highest-level-since-mid-1990s
nippon.com/en/features/h00160/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_international_investment_position
independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germany-s-birth-rate-lowest-in-the-world-according-to-study-10286525.html
news.com.au/world/breaking-news/japan-overtakes-germany-in-low-birth-rate/news-story/92d58fbdc5da6417e1a83e322588babb
ft.com/content/f356f8a0-1d8c-11e4-8f0c-00144feabdc0
rieti.go.jp/jp/publications/dp/15e124.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>&humanities

sageru

What went wrong? Japan is a first world nation with high living standards, good education, has the least crime, incredible hygiene and a strong economy.

Literally nothing went wrong. Japan had a GDP per capita on par with the USSR in 1939 except it was also a borderline anarcho-capitalist shithole. Now it's the third largest economy in the world despite its low natural resources and has one of the highest standards of living on the planet. They've never been more powerful or well off than they are now.

They should do something about the fucked-up criminal justice system, misogyny, racism, and sky-high suicide rates, but overall they're much better off than they have any real reason to be.

>dude they should be more like us westerners

"No!"

Enjoy your suicide rates and death panels, then.

>misogyny, racism
Fuck off

>things that exist
What's your point?

They are well off. But powerful, I don't think so. They're back to the "Nice isolationist asian country" meme they were back in the Tokugawa Period, except with less isolation.

>misogyny, racism
I think our countries could really learn a thing or two from their 'misogyny' and 'racism'.

Nukes

They have an economy three times larger than Russia, a supposed great power, despite having a fraction of the natural resources. I'd call them powerful. They're far from isolationist, their economy is heavily based on trade.

Nothing

delete this

Debito pls go

lewd

USA should allow Japan to have their own nuclear program. That is only way to destroy the chinks.

Posted this in another thread, but here is your answer, this is an excerpt from Herodotus' Histories, when Croesus was advising Cyrus on how to treat the rebellious Lydians who Cyrus had just defeated.

>
But the Lydians I pray thee pardon, and lay upon them commands as follows, in order that they may not revolt nor be a cause of danger to thee:--send to them and forbid them to possess weapons of war, but bid them on the other hand put on tunics under their outer garments and be shod with buskins, and proclaim to them that they train their sons to play the lyre and the harp and to be retail-dealers; and soon thou shalt see, O king, that they have become women instead of men, so that there will be no fear that they will revolt from thee."

>In the aftermath of World War II, wishing to divert public attention from politics and criticism of the occupying authorities, the Yoshida government encouraged a "3-S" policy — "sports, screen, and sex".

fuck off zainichi scum

>They should do something about the fucked-up criminal justice system, misogyny, racism
Pic related, what should happen to you

and a dying population

Umm... they went from being led into an unwinnable war by incompetent sociopaths to being one of the most prosperous nations in the world?

He's talking about internal issues in their own society, you dumbfucks, and he's quite correct. East Asia in general isn't a great place to live if you're a woman or a minority -- spend some time there if you disagree, instead of just idolizing it from a distance. The pervasive sexism is largely to blame for their shitty birth rate, and the "minorities" I'm talking about are other Asians and in many cases other Japanese, he's not talking about fucking refugees or Muslim immigrants.

whats wrong with being a woman in japan?

You're delusional. South Korea is ruled by a gang of occultist feminists.

If anything the low birth rates are because the personalities of Japanese women have grown more domineering while men have become more meek. The "pervasive sexism" that you're talking about in Japanese society is the kind of thing that would increase birthrates not decrease them, ie. women being expected to quit jobs once they get "too old" so they can become mothers.

you sound like a massive faggot

>the "minorities" I'm talking about are other Asians and in many cases other Japanese
>zainichi and chinese piggus
>japanese
w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w
something something societal expectations to be a housewife instead of wage earner
also he's retarded, the biggest problem is the sluggish economy and insane east asian work culture, not misogunii.

Birthrates are low in Japan because the country is extremely overpopulated to the point where people live in closets.

interesting how liberalism and feminism and "sexual liberation" correlates with low birthrates

if that's not an indication of a failed society i don't know what is

>they should do something about having a national identity and traditions

I hate neoliberals and demsocs so much

>Japan is not a good place to be if you're a women

Nieither is the US or EU because you're constantly surrounded by marxist lies of egalitarianism.

Industrialization, urbanization, and Liberalism will do that. Sure you get high standards of living and political freedom, but at the cost of badass military photos.

Exactly. Idiots who have nostalgia about muh "moral good old days" don't know anything about history.

>but at the cost of badass military photos.
and birthrates

good
low populations will only encourage the jappos to continue investing in advanced robotics and AI.

>working so hard you kill yourself is muh tradition
It's a shit tradition then.

They are at 1.4 babies per woman now, all they have to do is push it up to 2.1 and they're golden. Same goes for Europe. It might be tough, but it seems doable.

the flaws of this world are to blame, nothing else

yeah, we just need a dictator to ban contraception, abortion and force people to marry and breed and we're golden

the flaws of the world don't seem to affect the middle east and latin america

Welcome to being a developed country. Europe's in the same boat.

Or just offer economic incentives to make babies.

did i say otherwise?

both japan and europe suffer from the same disease

japs are too western for their own good

>also he's retarded, the biggest problem is the sluggish economy and insane east asian work culture
It's a component, of course, but far from the whole picture. Not going to spend any more time replying to you because you're a zero-effort shitposter.

Your precious Japan isn't perfect, sorry.

>disease

No, in-satiable hunger of capitalism for constant growth is the disease. Japan's overpopulated anyway.

>western

You mean Jewish.

Not a whole lot is wrong, they have some of the lowest crime rates in the world, and everything seems to indicate it's a pleasant place to live. However, there are a lot of issues with low birth rates and what not, which I think can be due to some of their old age pension policies as well as timid comformism that is present in most east Asian cultures.

They know how to be an open society without being stupid about it, so that's nice.

Guy on the right is based. He is happy, doing what he loves without a care of what society thinks of him. He carries on, unlike guy on the left who is a cuck taking orders to die for a useless cause. Bullied by his militant government and brainwashed to the point of suicide being an ultimate cuck to his authorities and (((nation))). Meanwhile, his wife at home is probably fucking some chad.

went there for 2 months recently as a woman and minority. was a great time! Made a lot of friends.
Theres probably racism etc but theres also a huge polite social barrier people put up.. i had no issues

I would say that okinowans and Ainu face some discrimination.

Nothing, they actually far more normal than Western society nowadays, they refuse sex revolution, fluid genders and lgbt marriage, and they're still nationalists who cherish their culture and traditions. They just need to fix their relationship with China and Korea.

And the most depressed developed country in the world.

No, they're wealthy.
Powerful they ain't. Where is Japan's ability to bend countries to their will? Russia does that, USA does that, China does that.

>inb4 some bullshit about soft power via Anime or weeabshit.

They also don't have a military, and are literally so cucked any changes to the Article 9 result in massive protests.

Japan lost its great power status in the 90's.

Let's look at foreign policy. In 1990 the former mayor of Tokyo released a book called "A Japan that can say no".

Since about 1995, Japan has towed the US line without protest. They literally are a satellite state of the USA. That's not a great power.

economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21707221-raising-japanese-wages-harder-it-looks-behind-pay-wall

>The IMF says wages have increased by only a paltry 0.3% since 1995. In 2015 Toyota, a carmaker, increased employees’ “base” pay by only 1.1%. The average wage increase by 219 firms in Keidanren, a business association made up mainly of large manufacturers, was 0.4%, according to the IMF. Yet Japan Inc sits on a massive pile of cash: some ¥377 trillion ($3.7 trillion).

>Shinzo Abe, the prime minister, who has staked his reputation on Japan’s economic recovery, has tried to push up pay. He has increased minimum wages, which will rise again on October 1st. But they are modest and affect only a small proportion of the workforce. In the 2016 annual pay round, when government observers join talks for the permanent, unionised section of the labour force, Mr Abe asked Keidanren to raise wages. He will do so again in the next round.

>Wages have fallen less slowly since 2014 (see chart) and are rising this year, but they are not doing so fast enough. Robert Feldman of Morgan Stanley, a bank, reckons wages would have to rise by 4% rather than the current 2% to hit the government’s inflation target (also 2%). Takashi Suda of Rengo, Japan’s largest trade union, argues that pay must rise faster at small and medium-sized firms where wages are lower and are rising more slowly than at big firms. Also, he says, to encourage spending it is more effective to raise low-earners’ incomes than high-earners’.

They have negative population growth and suicide among all ages and genders are sky high, especially among middle aged men. Karoshi is also a big thing there. That sounds normal to you?

Just ask google "World’s largest creditor" and you'll learn who is the richest country.
financialsense.com/contributors/leslie-cuadra/2011/08/31/list-of-worlds-largest-creditor-and-debtor-nations

That honor goes to Korea.

>real wages down 7% since late 2012
Abenomics and its predecessor Kozuinomics.

This is what went wrong. You can't make people spend more on consumption if they can buy less and less each year.

The only reason the economy isn't crashing is because the weak yen temporarily boosted exports.

You do know that excess savings is a BAD thing, right?

"I'm economically illiterate", the post.

>t. Dumbfuck

GDP and economic wellbeing isn't determined by the amount saved. It's determined by the amount you can consume.

Japan has a lot of savings and a lot of exports because of its undervalued currency and low consumption/GDP ratio. Japan is just like China in that sense.

Savings are good. Excess savings are not. Putting ¥10000 trillion under your mattress is bad for the economy.

Cont.

Essentially, Japan's economic model is so flawed it can't consume its own savings. That's why its economy is stagnant and their corporations send all their extra profits overseas.

Japan's GNP is nearly 20% larger than its GDP. But its GDP is what matters to the average Japanese, hence no wage growth and 1.3-1.4 fertility rate.

They quite literally sacrificed future happiness and growth for short term booms.

>Implying Japan was never messed up before

They are less of a free market than China

>The number of births in Japan fell to 981,000 in 2016, the lowest on records going back to the 19th century according to Japan's Statistics Agency.

Oh really?

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-23/japan-s-fertility-rate-inches-to-highest-level-since-mid-1990s

>2015
>fertility rate

Hmmm user you might want to read your source before frantically google searching

nippon.com/en/features/h00160/

>The Japanese population shrank again in 2016, as the number of births fell below one million for the first time since statistics were first compiled. This article examines the year's demographic data from the Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare.

>Putting ¥10000 trillion under your mattress is bad for the economy.
Oh no! Won't someone please tell the morons in Germany, Singapore, Switzerland etc who apparently don't understand the first thing about what a healthy economy is? My god, Hong Kong has a NIIP equal to nearly 300% of their GDP! They should hire you as a consultant ASAP.

>Japan is just like China in that sense.
Except Japan's NIIP is 63% of GDP, like most of the Germanic countries, while China's around 15% of GDP, like Russia.

A Medieval Mentality Society got to speed run its tech tree. Then they got stomped into the ground by a country with an economy ten times larger. Their second round of modernization and westernization after the war was done under American occupation and protection.

That's just a single year anyway. Doesn't mean anything.

>cherrypicking

you can do the same thing with a picture of George Washington and some obese american on a cart

NIIP =! Savings

Thanks for the sarcasm though

not him but no country is perfect
what a surprise

I didn't bother to correct you because you already confused NIIP with savings here:
Without the sarcasm: would you give Germany the same advice you gave Japan? Why not?

>

>I didn't bother to correct you because you already confused NIIP with savings here

Except I didn't. NIIP is related to savings, and enormous quantities of NIIP is directly related to excess savings.

Kill yourself you economic illiterate.

And to answer your question, depends on if I care about German interests or EU interests or global interests.

>forecast is lower than the actual fertility rate in modern times

What's your point?

>enormous quantities of NIIP
Again, take a look at this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_international_investment_position

Hong Kong, Singapore, Norway, Taiwan have truly grotesques NIIPs relative to the size of their economies. Japan is in the exact same ballpark as Belgium, the Netherlands or Germany.

I know I'm replying to bait, but the fertility rate has been sub-replacement since 1974 by a massive margin.

Hence why Japan lost 350,000 people last year even with 50,000 net immigration.

And all of those countries have relatively low consumption/GDP ratios. They also have immensely low fertility rates and rapidly aging populations.

Are you fucking retarded?

Japanese will be extinct at this rate by 2280 according to many demographers.

>I know I'm replying to bait, but the fertility rate has been sub-replacement since 1974 by a massive margin

And? Japan isn't the only country with this problem. There are lot of countries that have a lower fertility rate than them. Pic related. There would be even more if the rest of the West wasn't getting massive third world immigration.

>Hence why Japan lost 350,000 people last year even with 50,000 net immigration

Just estimates actually. Nothing has been officially yet.

Yes goy. Keep believing in sensationalist Jew media focusing on only one country when it's the entire first world that has this problem.

*officially confirmed

>implying le AGING CRISIS doesn't get spammed across all nu-media

Jesus christ you are actually just purposefully being stupid.

Japan's fertility rate isn't the lowest. Wow! Thanks for telling me. Their fertility rate TODAY is not meaningful.

Now back to what actually matters, their birth rate is the lowest in the world (outside a few city states). 126.5 million people had 981,000 babies. That's an 8.3 birth rate per 10,000. That compares to 12 in Western Europe and 14 in China/USA. Even Germany has a higher birth rate.

Since when? independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germany-s-birth-rate-lowest-in-the-world-according-to-study-10286525.html

If it's any higher today you can be 100% sure if it's because of the rapefugees. Do you want to flood Japan with rapefugees as well to "solve it"?

You sound like a statist cuck

gb2 /pol/

You are so 2014 dudeeeee

news.com.au/world/breaking-news/japan-overtakes-germany-in-low-birth-rate/news-story/92d58fbdc5da6417e1a83e322588babb

And no I don't. 2015 birthstats don't include rape babies. Those come out in 2016 stats.

Yeah, I wonder what caused the 'German' birth rate to rise... there's no doubt ethnic Germans will go extinct before the Japanese.

>And all of those countries have relatively low consumption/GDP ratios.
Sure. So why are they held up as model countries by economists?

>They also have immensely low fertility rates and rapidly aging populations.
Maybe because they tend to be EXTREMELY HIGH INCOME countries.
Japan has a lower fertility rate than might be expected from its GDP per capita, just like the Gulf states have much higher fertility rate, but attributing it to savings/the size of the NIIP rather than various cultural factors and social realities like the urbanization rate (I don't even need to check to tell you that Tokyo natives and Singaporean Chinese have the same brithrate, 1.0something)
And the rapid aging of Japan is not just due to fertility, which is abysmal in much of the developed World and even Eastern Europe, but also largely due to its incredible life expectancy and low migration rates. South Korea, France or Portugal are also set to have over 20% of the population over 65 before 2020 if not already, despite having both wildly different NIIPs from Japan (20% for SK, minus 16% for France, minus 110% for Portugal) and fertility rates (France is around replacement level, Korea only fell far below replacement in the 21st century, Portugal had roughly the same fertility rate as Korea despite being economically shit, comparable to the Eastern European phenomenon but without the collapse of healthcare)
What they do have in common is life expectancy, mitigated by immigration in France or Germany (it's the reason the elderly in Germany are a "mere" 20% compared to Japan) but aggravated by emigration in Portugal (which is why its elderly population is a tad older than you might expect.)
ft.com/content/f356f8a0-1d8c-11e4-8f0c-00144feabdc0

Pointing fingers at Japan for not acting like locusts doesn't quite hold up to critical scrutiny.

You always have American wewuzzerz

But this is beside the point, Japanese are dying out rapidly and importing millions of foreigners each year because their society is sick.

Abe is the biggest pro-immigrant shill in Japan.

>What went wrong?

The neighbor is a madman

Because standard economists are fucking retarded and only consider one factor, money (GDP).

High incomes don't just cause people to stop fucking and having kids.
You are an idiot to suggest that to me.

Japan's birthrate is the lowest in the world user. Fertility rates are near the lowest.

>your examples
Clearly cherrypicked. Every country with high NIIP has extremely low birthrates. That reflects a lack of demand in their own country, which is both a cause and effect of low birthrates.

rieti.go.jp/jp/publications/dp/15e124.pdf