/ccg/ - Credit Card General

Why don't you at least have an amex gold?

As a poorfag I don't even have a credid card.

because they dont issue unless you have 6 months, im 5 months in
im going for plat though

What's the point of having a credit card instead of a debit card? To give away your money in fees?

Did you just start working? How can you afford a plat but not even have gold?

CC's are much better at protecting you from identity theft, using your debit card anywhere but inside a bank is pretty dangerous.
Also, as long as you're not a degenerate, cc's work in your favor.

had no credit history
in about a month ill have around 700
ill shoot for plat but ill be happy with gold

the only people who pay fees on credit cards are people who are borderline literal retards

to clarify i'm not talking about the annual fees here

>using your debit card anywhere but inside a bank is pretty dangerous
That's not true. Debit cards have the same protections that credit cards do under Mastercard/Visa

>paying annual membership fees for a credit card.

I've had a CC for 6 years now. Not once have I paid interest or a membership fee. I do have about $2k in reward points right now from last year.

>paying anual fee's
>on a card that forces you to pay off your balance every month
>literally paying a fee to use your own money

Pay $100 a year for an airline credit card.
Waives the $25 each way fee for checking a bag.
Fly 3 times a year.

Come out $50 ahead.

If you live a certain lifestyle then the rewards make it worth it.

you do realize that the cash back rewards you get from annual fee cards can exceed the actual fees, right?

you do realize that these fees can usually be waived as well, right?

Shut up cuck

Im not sure about gold car but if you traveled enough the platinum would pay itself off and then some. If I were still in sales I would definitely have one.

Elaborate please

If you travel often for work or run up huge tabs or dinners you reap in the rewards while your expenses are still getting reimbursed.

basically not worth it unless work reimburses you. Back when I was still working sales I would be on the road 6 months out of the year. I get 5% back on those while my employer pays for that. On top of miles with airlines, plus hotels, car rentals, taking clients out to eat. Easily can rack up 10k on a busy month and I get 5% of that back.

waived

>credit card companies LITERALLY PAY YOU TO USE THEIR CREDIT CARD
>people still use debit cards

kek

Was just about to make a thread but I'll post here for now

Thinking about getting this tomorrow

I have no idea what I'm doing btw. This is my first credit card. Never had a need for it but figured I'd get one to help me pay a bill or two in the future before I get my paycheck in the month. Been a debitfag all my life. What's the benefits to having one?

Literally can't see the point in a credit card.
I'm smart with my money and always have what I need in advance, why would I put myself into debt for no reason? If you haven't realised, the tacky 'gold' trim on the credit cards is designed to make stupid people feel rich.
The fetishisation of debt is really bizarre .

time value of money (pay for shit a month later)
building credit score
promo bonuses (Chase Freedom Unlimited gives you $150 for spending $500 in the first 3 months)
cash back (free money)
there's no reason to use a debit card. i haven't used mine in 10 years probably. just pretend that the CC is actually a debit card so don't buy anything you wouldn't otherwise be able to pay for on the spot

Literally can't see the point in a debit card.

If you're smart with your money, why not use a no-fee credit card, build credit, and get free money for using it?

i've never understood why so many people on this board think that having a credit card automatically means going into debt and paying (((interest))). if you're not a complete retard, there is no reason to use a debit card

No-fee credit cards don't exist in my country, nor is 'building credit' a thing, that's exclusively American.

can't speak for other countries outside the U.S.

there ARE a lot of retards in this country though, which probably gives you the wrong impression of their benefits (fetish of falling into debt, paying interest, paying for stuff you cant afford, etc.)

believe it or not, anyone with a shred of financial responsibility will find no disadvantages to using a credit card for most purchases for the reasons i explained before

>not stealing normies creditcards

This

I havent paid any interest for years
I think op is afraid or just dumb

firstly it is a charge card not a credit acrd, secondly it is the merchant who is charged fees for purchases not you, you'll generally pay the same amount for your shopping, hotels, flights etc.. regardless of your method of payment

so the real question is what is the point of using a debit card for that stuff, you're leaving money on the table when others are collecting air miles/getting flight upgrades etc..

How does cash back work?

still worth it if you just whack most of your monthly spending through the card

though yeah it is especially worth it if you're travelling regularly for work - for example consultants where I work who get assigned to projects in continental Europe will fly over to say Frankfurt for Monday-Friday and fly home to the wife and kids each weekend, this carries on for the several months they're on the project. If they can whack their flights, hotel etc.. through their credit card then they get some serious points, add on a hotel loyalty card and they get even more points from the hotel. One guy basically never pays for a holiday, his whole family flies for free thanks to the air miles he's accumulated and the hotel rooms he's booked are free too thanks to the loyalty card used with work

you get a percentage of your purchases back as straight dollars or points (which are the same as dollars, multiplied by 100 to look cool)

you go the credit card's website and they will have a landing page for rewards, you redeem the cash back and they send you a check, credit your next statement, direct deposit into banking account, etc.

different card companies have different options when it comes to auto/manual redemption, minimum limits, and delivery methods

I use a debit card

why would I want extra bills at the end of the month

Read through the thread please!

After, please let me know what these extra bills are you speak of

credit newbie here.

I just got a card with a $500 sign-on bonus (once you spend $1500). I noticed there are dozens of cards with the same or similar offers. What's stopping me from collecting the sign-on bonus and moving onto the next card?

I don't want people to see, nothing good can happen, the only outcome is poorfags will just try to get more money out of me.

>Also a newb here

I believe that the age of your open accounts is a factor into your credit score, so that could be one negative

I have Premier Rewards Gold, how do you get a card with NFC built in? Or is it because I live in burgerland that we don't get those

nothing is stopping you. i've been doing the same thing for the past 6 months or so. it's called churning

the only pitfall is if you end up buying a ton of shit you otherwise wouldn't buy just to get the promo cash. i put a lot of mine onto an Amazon account which I use routinely anyways

also, your credit score will get tanked temporarily. mine dropped about 75 points with all the inquiries when i was applying for multiple cards. your average age of credit will go down as well most likely (very low impact on credit score). after a few months of paying the cards off regularly, your score will go back up, and ultimately more accounts on your report is good for your credit in the long run

What's wrong with buying lots of crypto then selling again? The 500 should more cover the fees and there's the chance you'll make some money

absolutely nothing if you can make it work
reddit literally buys vanilla visa cards then venmoes them to themselves

I have a perfectly good Visa card. Why do I need an AmEx too?

to appear as rich as possible while putting in the least amount of money to do so

My favs, out of tons of the card that I churned

Sapphire preferred:
>metal card
>like a big dick people are always surprised how heavy it is
>points are extremely valuable
>supports are 100% pajeets though. Chase support is almost bad as Comcast.

Discover IT
>best benefits bar none
>it like borrowing money from your mom
>support is 100% American
>super generous
>this is the card to use if you're buying electronics or anything expecting to use for a long time

Amex cash preferred
>it's okay
>6% back on groceries is helpful because dad passed away and I'm buying groceries for the family now :(

Freedom unlimited
>only useful because Sapphire preferred
>buy all your useless shit with this card
>again 100% trash pajeet support

BOA BBR
>reward sucks
>but it pays you $100 year for life

because I'm not interested in paying an annual fee for a shitty status symbol charge card that's only impressive to used car salesmen

its impressive to most people and you can get the fee waived

>citi
lmao

My credit score is 669. Then again I am a student and on a student card.

stop using it for 2 months and apply for 5 more

I've had it since March back when my score was 638.

I actually have a question for you guys. Is it best to pay off my bill before the due date, or set it to auto pay on the due date?

most people are worthless idiots

never autopay unless youre posting under 10% total out of your available CL
you can use it as much as you want but pay it off before it posts or else high utilization will tank you for a month

spoken like a true fedora ledditor

I applied for a choicey card a few years years ago (25 now), got denied, never tried again. When I was at a dealership buying a car a few months ago, they told me I had ~720 credit score - what card should I apply for, given that? Afraid of getting denied again (under the assumption that hurts your score/delays taking out other cards), but feel like a baby taking out my chase debit everytime.

Also I have accounts at TD and Chase, would you rec any others?

is getting that chase card I posted a good idea?

>Not hiding all your money under your mattress

>this is my first credit card
do you have a score?
chase freedom needs about 650 or above

last time I was at chase a few months back they let me know I qualified for a credit card I'm assuming it was that freedom unlimited card

go on creditkarma or nerdwallet and report back what your actual score is
its important to know your own score

this is generally good advice:
the autopay can be good if you have a lot of cards and can't be fucked to manually go to their website every week and pay them manually, as long as your credit limit is high enough that your total monthly charges don't exceed 10% of it

you can go to sites like credit karma and nerdwallet, and browse for cards with certain criteria and they show you approval odds. 720 is good enough for any of the "mainstream" cards. you can probably get approved for anything you want in 2 minutes

freedom unlimited is a fine card if you have the credit score to get approved like the other poster said. if you're trying to min/max cash back, you can get 2% with Citi Double Cash instead of Unlimited's 1.5. the important thing is to just get a no-fee card and start using it instead of debit

>Uh-oh, looks like you don’t have enough credit history to display a credit report.
?

When I was at Tmobile the girl there said I had enough credit to open an account.

they all lied

you may have to do some online research for cards applicable to your situation (no credit history). i don't really have any knowledge in that area.

>good goy score: no history
nothing personal creditberg

>Gold
>he doesn't have Platinum

why would someone lend you money if you have no history of paying back loans

And how would I acquire history of paying back loans if no one will lend to me.

secured credit cards where you pay down a deposit

fuugggg

well I don't really need it anyway

I'll probably do the Citi Double Cash card then

Nerd Wallet says I'm preapproved for Sapphire/Freedom; There's no way I'll be able to spend 4k in 3months, is Sapphire worth if I can't hit the bonus? Should I take the Freedom Unlimited instead, you wager?

Also is "pre-approved" just meaningless or will I actually get the card? Scurred of denial

I have a 727 w/o ever using a credit card before, just from having parents cosign for and help pay-back school loans

you have to pick between using the card fairly and trying to hit minimum spend on your own or churning the card through manufactured spending (fake spending) by buying vanilla visa gift cards, amazon cards or something that will let you just convert the money into something else while still hitting that goal
if i had 727 first thing id apply for is amex plat, then chase sapphire reserve but thats just me

Start building credit soon, it doesn't take any effort

> having credit cards
> having overdraft enabled
Enjoy your slavery when I drain your CC :^)

>as soon as you try to buy something i get a text
>reply no
>you dont get to eat today

> he doesn't intercept SMS with a Nigerian SS7 gate
get with the times

Amex is shit tier unless you stay in a lot of hotels or travel often.

>paying with credit

>poorfag bongland student
>hit it big with bitcoin
>get every day platinum cashback card
>no annual fee
>never missed a payment
>buy a bunch of anime
>got 100 bong dollars in cashback and a decent credit score now