Buddhist nationalism

What does a nationalism based on Buddhism look like?

until now I have seen some online debates but they are all by "Western buddhists". I look forward to see it when it's "Asian nationalists" doing it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v4rvtnTThq0&t=1s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Imperial Japan

I know. You can read my mind. I am so glad.

Look to southeast Asia i suppose, like Thailand

Japan and Taiwan are traditionally nationalistic but i don't think they're bhuddist... im not even sure what they are, Japs are supposed to be Shinto or both shinto and buddhist... i don't know how eastern religions work, Taiwan/China is even more confusing

BURMA
U
R
M
A

>forgive the watermark, google jewed me

Tibet. The Dalai Lama even made declarations against mass immigration into Europe. He should know the effects of mass immigration.

what a time to be alive, the dalai lama cares about european christendom while the pope actively works against it

Actually I am talking about Taiwanese Buddhist. I guess we can only talk about the one or two individual i have debated with.
On one hand I admire his knowledge on the subject. He can back their claims and I can't.
On the other hand I feel he wants to establish his identity in a nationalist way.

My theory is, since he got his knowledge from Japanese sources, he is not able to see buddhism's accomplice to Japanese imperialism.

But since I cannot compete with him on any related knowledge I can only come here. Seek warmth in western anonymity.

nationalism?

Buddyism is anarchism

Wasn't that more contingent on Shinto ideas?

This. Burmese nationalism seems to be tied with Buddhism.

>Buddhist Nationalism
>OP: UNF UNF IM FUCKING RETARDED PUTTING TWO WORDS TOGETHER.

>Emperor of Japan is supposedly descended from a Shinto deity,
>"Buddhist Nationalism."
>He should know the effects of mass immigration.
When the Lamas were still in power, there was minimal - if even zero- Han Chinese immigration to fucking desolated Tibet. The Qing Dynasty largely respected them as well, considering the Lamas never really lost their power even when Tibet was a province of the Qing Chinese Empire.

The current migration of Han Chinese into Tibet is largely sponsored by the government, both to pacify the fucking place in addition to modernizing it because native Tibetans can't be fucking bothered to modernize.

Buddhism has the power to stabilize domestic affairs.
But it is different from nationalism.
Buddhism is an arrow heading towards the inside of each one.
Unlike other religions, there is no power to turn the nation into a certain direction.

People are going to say Burma or Thailand. But I am not familiar or intersted in them.
South Korea is closer to what I am looking for. But I know for sure Japan and Taiwan because that's where an user guy gave me this idea. Not in the past but in the future. But since its in the future it belongs to /pol/ or /int/ not Veeky Forums

It can become a cultural heritage and become antagonistic with communism, colonial Christian church and/or Muslim.

>Religion is nationality

Imperial Japan was Shinto

>Korea
Literally denounce purge and harass Buddhists since Joseon era
>Japan
God emperor : Shintoism, barely to do with Buddhism
>Taiwan
ROC Chinese nationalism turned to regionalism, most people are agnostic / don't take religion seriously

Buddhism has deeply penetrated Japanese life, behavior and way of thinking.

Buddhist influence in state formation tends to only happen if the state is cuck enough to allow Buddhist monks power, like Asian version of a Catholic Clergy i guess.

This happened in Tibet, Burma, and Thailand. Elsewhere, they were just one of the religions around, like in China or Japan.

So did Confucianism. Which, between the two non-Japanese philosophies, has more influence of Japanese Nationalism since a pack of Neo-Confucianists came up with the Sonno movement.

>Buddhism
>Nationalism
>Buddhism
>State formation.
Literally the first reaction of the Chinese when Buddhists came to preach in China was disgust because the philosophy seemed to community-centric China as degenerate and anti-social.

Literally have to modified with Confucian morality and Taoist metaphysics to be acceptable in China, which gave birth to Chan/Zen/Seon Buddhism.

>ROC Chinese nationalism turned to regionalism, most people are agnostic / don't take religion seriously
Religion can become a venue to make Taiwanese nationalism, to fight ROC Chinese nationalism, or to make pro unification argument. Anyway I think they take religion seriously.

maybe his people should stop mass immigrating to nepal and india then

The Buddha made the precept against alcohol because some people can't handle their booze. If you can handle your booze, what is the point of following that precept?

And even alcohol is permissible to monks who are ill, as medicine. Therefore, I see no reason at all why psychedelics cannot play a valid and useful role in many conditions where recent research seems to indicate that there is much benefit from them. Then of course, in the Amazon, Ayahuasca is mainly sought out by npeople for healing purposes, and the general role of shamans is healing (but not only that). It is very different from the fad of pharmahausca in the US and so on, where the substance has been removed from its cultural context.

I get that people have reservation about my "Buddhist nationalism" label. I think it's a problem of definition.
Buddhism can be a politically neutral philosophy. Or some user are focusing on primitive Buddhism.

But I am thinking about a wide and vague label that includes syncretism, local cults, modern new religion, modern state cultural heritage programs, etc. so I see lots of chances and examples for my labels.

>politically neutral philosophy

I think so
Please look at the mandala.
Mandala has no center. Each is the universe.
Buddhism denies God. We will be spiritually awakened and become Buddha.

Thailand
Sri Lanka
Burma
Bhutan

Not quite. Shinto was the state religion. Buddhists were Japanese first, so they have to pay respect to the emperor/country. Else their temples get shutdown by the government.

>Buddhists were Japanese first, so they have to pay respect to the emperor/country. Else their temples get shutdown by the government.
Not always, considering how the Buddhist Apeshits of the 1400s and 1500s saw the non-Buddhists almost powerless to stop it.

It's not.
The Meiji government strengthened centralization. They destroyed the temple to break the domain of the provinces .
They regarded Buddhist temple as a dominant power.

The question can be divided into two
1. Did Buddhism work in Japanese history the way nationalism worked?
2. Are there Buddhist nationalists active online now?

IF answer to question 2 is no there is no point checking question 1

>1. Did Buddhism work in Japanese history the way nationalism worked?
See . Shintoism and Confucianism did more for Japanese nationalism than Buddhism.

Southeast Asian nations are the most Buddhist, East Asian nations like China or Japan are syncretic, China combined Daoism/Confucianism/Buddhism, Japan combined Shintoism/Neo-Confucianism/Zen Buddhism

I don't know what Koreans do but Koreans are idiots so I don't care

1 No
They opposed the state power.

2. Yes
Soka Gakkai
They have political parties, contrary to the law of separation of church and state.
It self-named a Buddhist, but it has a structure of monotheism.
They are treated as cults in Europe.

Korean Buddhism = Chinese buddhism.

But Korean was Christcucked for some weird reason.

can confirm, Korean Chirstans are batshit insane.

>yfw youre locked in a room with 6 or 7 Koreans all bowed and yelling in "tounges" for half an hour.

Burmese buddhist monks are fucking madmen
youtube.com/watch?v=v4rvtnTThq0&t=1s

I think tantric buddhism is what you're looking for. Most of japanese buddhism is heavily influenced by it. Its where Tibetan buddhism originates from. they believed in prophecies to repel islamic invaders and worshiped various ancient indian weapons (pic related). Honestly it isn't much different from Greek or Roman paganism.

There were many Japanese Buddhist monks who believed the Emperor was divine and possessed spiritual attributes beyond normal men, even defining actions ordered by the emperor as products of an enlightened mind

>People are going to say Burma or Thailand. But I am not familiar or intersted in them

K, well those are literally the two countries that most accurately fit the description of "Buddhist nationalism"

>South Korea is closer to what I am looking for.

Possibly the least Buddhist nation in E. Asia. The fuck?

>orthodox russia right at your doorstep
>choose to be a looney pentecoastal of all denominations

Tibet prior to Chinese occupation.

Japan is a secular nation where most of the population is an odd mix between Buddhist, Shinto, and Christian, with the rest identifying as Atheist.

China is a communist shithole where religious beliefs aren't really expressed openly. The government does, however, allow for Buddhism and Catholicism to be practiced with state approval, and many people still practice Taoism as it's basically the foundation of Chinese culture.

I know almost nothing about religion in South Korea, but to my understanding, it's a traditionally Buddhist/Taoist nation where Christianity has exploded in popularity in the last few decades.

Oh, and Taiwan is kind of in the same boat as Japan, only replace Shinto with Confucianism.