Was Southern Italy ever relevant at all besides Magna Graecia...

Was Southern Italy ever relevant at all besides Magna Graecia? I struggle to find any important Roman figures who were born there even. There were probably more important Romans born in France, Spain and the Balkans than Southern Italy.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Italy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I read a book about Augustus that said a lot of legionaries were from the south. I have no idea if it's true or not and I can't remember if the author substantiated his claim

>2sicillieskingdom

3/4 of the sailors of the western Med were from Sardinia

I'm from Campania, south Italy.
We invented the fucking PIZZA.
We invented one of the most consumed food in the world and gave you tons of stereotypes and memes associated to it.
Also if we are talking in general, Neaples always had its importance both as a cultural and political pole for Italy.
My city, Salerno, was the original core (Principato di Salerno) of the future Reign of Neaples and Kingdom of the Two Sicilies (check the books to see their importance). We also had the Scuola medica Salernitana, the first and most important medical institution of Europe in the Middle Age and it can be consider a proto-university for its structure.

>Cucks still claim Roma as part of Northern Italy
At least be semi-intelligent and list it as central Italian, separate from the north. To put it alongside cuckold strongholds of barbarian rape babies like Lombard is an insult.

Terrone di merda, zitto che non contate un cazzo porco dio secondi solo ai calabresi siete come lerciume

That I can believe. But somehow I doubt that the terrone made up the warriors of ancient Rome

The north is where the heart is.

Calm down Gennaro. That's just a map highlighting the Mezzogiorno region. And Lombards aren't any more Germanic than you are Moorish.

Imago animi sermo est: qualis vita talis oratio.

Yes! Southern Italy is directly responsible for the Punic War.

When the mamertines were returning from their service to Syracuse, they reached to sea pass to Rhegium (the nearest roman harbor on the italian side) and the smell was so bad and the people so awful that the Mamertines preferred to sack Messana than go through southern Italy. That is just how bad this place is. If it wasn't for their horrible hygiene and disgusting people, the mamertines would have happily crossed back to Italy and the war would have never happened.

Around terronis, never relaxy

italian culture literally comes from the south you swine.

>muh mafia
>muh pizza
>muh tarantella
>muh negative stereotypes

Are you really proud of this shit?

>northern Italy
Mediocre European cuck state. Capitalist and liberal, they resemble France more than Italy.
>central Italy
Historically relevant as the capital of Rome and Papel states. In modern times a glorified museum.
>South Italy
unique Mediterranean culture. Exotic and conservative people. Handsome men and beautiful women. Home to some of the most powerful crime syndicates in the world as opposed to the North who are a bunch of pacified wusses who are too wimpy to jay walk.

did you know that the best pizza does not hail from the south? it's true

It's better than north cucks

plus south italians have big dicks

exactly south italy true italy

A shit, repressive, backwards monarchy responsible for south Italy being essentially feudal until the late 1800s

>Meanwhile, in the rest of Italy.
MUH CITY STATES! MUH CITY STATES!

Southern niggers BTFO

invalid because we make the olive of the oil

But seriousness a large part of that divide was caused by the mistreatment of southerners and the theft of their industry during and after unification

>ywn genocide the terrone and replace them with actual Italians

>all those globalist megacorps
wew.

Southern Italy was certainly relevant as a battleground between the Medieval Byzantine Empire, the early Ummayad Caliphate, and the proto-Italian Lombard kingdoms. The history is rich and interesting, if typically ignored by modern readers.

>Neaples always had its importance both as a cultural and political pole for Italy.

You can't possibly believe this. This has to be bait.

The Kingdom of Naples in the middle ages was by far the most powerful kingdom on the Peninsula through its land and closer relations with the Papal State compared to the smaller more divided realms up north, with Naples being one of the most lucrative trading ports alongside Genoa and Venice until they became a dominion of Spain.

The later Kingdom of Two Sicilies in the 19th century was again the strongest single power on the peninsula, and was the largest obstacle to Italian Unification as Sardinia and the Two Sicilies fought it out for two years before French support for Sardinia overwhelmed the South.

>We invented the fucking PIZZA.
You "invented" the pizza sure but, of course, Americans are the ones who made pizza into pizza.

>powerful
>cucked by every single foreign power imaginable
>was independent for less time than it was ruled by other people

That's not how it works, terrone. Get on Venice's level.

*Italian Americans

It's the same shit since they are terroni too.

Rome isn't north at all.

I can smell The edgyness from here

the French supported Sardinia at Solferino, not against the Two Sicilies - they hated the idea of one Italy and rather supported the Bourbons (it was England if anything supporting the annexation of the Two Sicilies in order to counterbalance the French in the Mediterranean)

>Home to some of the most powerful crime syndicates in the world
>trying to pass this off as a good thing

>Yfw when Southern Italy was an essential part of Rome when the Northerners were half-civilized semi-gauls shitting in their swamps
Porco dio

Wasn't Thomas Aquinas from the south?

FTFY

The norman kingdom in the south was pretty based.

>Calling it North vs. South issue when you say South Africa in the Southern hemisphere is the only Afrocan exception so you to draw a line through the ocean to reach it

hehe

>Was Southern Italy ever relevant at all besides Magna Graecia?
There was Norman Siciliy, Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, Pizza, the Mafia, Pompeii, two volcanoes, great cities like Naples, Palermo, Syracuse, etc.

plus if we're comparing north vs south, Rome itself is southern so it heavily swings it in the souths advantage

>Napoli
>Great city

pick one

Syracuse is probably the prettiest city south of Rome

Rome is central italy
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Italy

generally tuscany is northern, lazio is soutern

"central italy" is a meme like "central europe"

>"central italy" is a meme like "central europe"
t. Balotelli

North and south are determined by the terrone level of every region's population, not by their latitude.

It is funny how this chart has all the important regions of Italy. Is there something left worth it?

It is funny to see all these Italians claiming their part of importance. Is it the same for other parts of the world?
I mean, is there a country more hateful than Italy? We litteraly hate each other for no reason. No one gives to Caesar what is Caesar's and that is sad and silly. That's why we are the joke of the entire world diocane

In which alternate dimension do you live, you incommensurable cretin?

>Mediocre European cuck state. Capitalist and liberal, they resemble France more than Italy.

"Resembles France more than Italy" is a pretty fucking bold claim, considered that Northerners, not Southerners, wanted Italy to be one nation. Also, considered that most of the Islamic population lives in the South, I'd hardly call it a "cuck state."

>In modern times a glorified museum.

You know fuck all about Italy's industries. That's all I'm going to say.

>unique Mediterranean culture.

LiterallyAnadalusiaknockoff.jpg

>Exotic and conservative people.

The same way Afghans are "exotic" and "conservative."

>Home to some of the most powerful crime syndicates in the world as opposed to the North who are a bunch of pacified wusses who are too wimpy to jay walk.

Yeah, the crime syndicate that was born because a bunch of nobles pampered since the Spanish domination couldn't handle the idea that they had to cut down their Vermont-sized latifunds down in order for not stay a shithole, who used ignorant farmers that have ever seen the States as "funny man that asks you for taxes" and that now is an outright parasite that would be the first to be opposed to actually restore the Kingdom of Two Sicilies is TOTALLY the good guy here.

I'm totally with this.

This makes perfect sense

>MAD poolenta behaves like a Neapolitan vaiassa

Oh the irony

Why can't we be friends?

>Points out that he was a moron.
>"No u."

Without us muslims will never ever fucked goats

Sicily was the center of Europe under Frederick II. Brief period, but answers your question.

Sicily was also fairly important culturally and economically during the emirate, Hauteville and Hohenstaufen years, but no more than the north really.

That happened everywhere outside of northwestern Italy (so called Torino-Milano-Genova triangle where the Savoia development efforts were exclusively centered). What's the south's excuse for not developing at the rate of Veneto, Emilia and Tuscany?

The south had an unbroken tradition with Ancient Greece, Rome and the ERE. Meanwhile the North was germanzied and had to "rediscover" what the south never forgot.

Ahahahhahahahahahahha

What's with all the internal hate when it comes to Italians? It's like you guys think everyone a couple miles north/south of you is satan.

t.german rape baby

t. Moor rape baby

>moor
That's a funny way to spell Greek.

We've got a long and contentious history apart, a short and just as contentious history together, and very little cultural homogeneity. What else would you expect?

>the theft of their industry during and after unification

What industry? The south was just farms and brigands

There was some fledging industry around Naples, which did indeed lose out to the Savoia outragiously favouring "loyal" regions in the north west, but nothing major.
The same thing happened in the north east when the Habsburgs basically uprooted the venetian financial system, closed the shipyards (arguably Boney's fault that tho) and rerouted most naval traffic through Trieste.
It's a pretty common occurrence when you're conquered, hardly worth whinging about. You don't see Venetians using it as an excuse two centuries after the fact, so no reasons to give Neapolitans a pass either.

Naples was definitely one of the most important ports in Europe at a time, but it's role in Italy around unification was small. Even Rome was largely unimportant, more of a symbol than an asset.

What has this to do with my post? Being a port city hardly counts as industry, else every seaside town has beem industrialized since the dawn of sea travel.