What is the task of philosophy in the 21st century?

What is the task of philosophy in the 21st century?
Pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=abPkNFzxeE4
radiolab.org/story/update-crispr/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Probably reconcile itself with modern advances in science, and establish itself as something worthwhile now that a single branch of it has become so dominant. Remember that modern science was basically the dream and goal of philosophy.

This post is disgusting.

It's true, though.

To seek truth, same as it is in every century, also your pic strikes me as very related.

Leech money, be it from the state or stupid people who pay for it.

The same as it's always been

I actually learned a lot from Peterson's personality lectures. I have somewhat of a low IQ 110~. But what he says about conscientiousness and creativity summed me up pretty well and now I know better how I perceive the world.

The task varies from philospher to philosopher.

Not really, it's just an opinion based on shitty generalizations and nitpicking you've found on Veeky Forums and reddit.
>Probably reconcile itself with modern advances in science
This shows where you're coming from and what are your sources. I'm pretty sure that you know virtually nothing about contemporary academic philosophy.

>and establish itself as something worthwhile now that a single branch of it has become so dominant
For fucks' sake shut the fuck up. Do you know what you sound like?
''Cinema fucking sucks, it's only capeshit now... I wish we could go back to the real classics: Harry Potter(in this case, positivism and utilitarism, which are still very much alive)''.

>Remember that modern science was basically the dream and goal of philosophy.
So, not only you know nothing about contemporary philosophy, but you don't even know anything about past philosophy? Do you realize how much of a gross generalization this is?

>mfw people talk about history of philosophy while regurgitating talking points plagiarized by pseudointellectual talking heads on youtube

muy butthurt, eh, my burrito?

Nah, you've just got BTFO'd

To provide young adults who lack any sort of viable talent or skill with an opportunity to earn a bachelor's degree.

Peterson is the only worthwhile one if them all

Don't you agree that reality should be reflective in some sense of what the general Metaphysical picture is?

Patreons to expropriate 30k a month from "smart but lazy" /r9k/ types

looking at my floormate, absolutely correct

Buddy a 110 IQ is not low, it's actually about the normal range. You're average, you're not stupid.

Heh... Kid... nothing personnel...

test

Most recent time I've seen philosophy beat science in seeing important issues and trying to consider them

youtube.com/watch?v=abPkNFzxeE4

Later, CRISPR/Cas9 happens. Gene editing just got a whole lot easier. Designer babies coming soon, senpai.

And then, the Gene Drive. Self replicating gene modifications that overpower traditional limitations of recessive inheritance and the like. Like biological nanotech.

If you're American there's this radiolab bit on CRISPR happenings.
radiolab.org/story/update-crispr/
Especially around 44:28

To quote them:
>If you make a change in an embryo... make this future child taller, whatever
>You're doing that without the consent of that unborn thing
>But if you now do that using this gene drive, well now you're doing that without the consent of that unborn thing and all future generations of that unborn thing
>and so the consent issues just become... unfathomable
>I guess we're all for taller but, we're not ALL for taller
boom potential nonidentity problem

People who take Nick Land seriously disturb me. He's clearly intelligent, but reading any of his books, or anything about his history can show you he is literally a psychedelic-addled maniac.

What if you go on to a masters as well? As an undergrad philosophy major this is very on the nose, these classes are filled with retards.

To dispense intelligence and wisdom to the masses.

Science can't teach you how to be happy.

> consent
Nice meme

TO DESTORY ALL POKEMON IN OUR PASSAGES!

TEAM ROCKET!

I take him seriously. But his "Meltdown', sorry for the inadvertent pun, melted my brain as a teen.

I thought "For the first time in my life, someone who makes some sense!"

You observe people and you find an almost pathological warping of decisions, ideas, and society around human agency. Even as society is being devoted to the dissolution human agency for machinic calculation...

makes life more comfortable

>>If you make a change in an embryo... make this future child taller, whatever
>>You're doing that without the consent of that unborn thing
Wow.... so this... is the power of philosophy!

>>You're doing that without the consent of that unborn thing
>>But if you now do that using this gene drive, well now you're doing that without the consent of that unborn thing and all future generations of that unborn thing
>>and so the consent issues just become... unfathomable

This is the most retarded shit I've read. Speculating on "the consent" of an unborn child is assuming that developing phenotypical entities are able to properly assess the conditions of their environment and upbringing prior to being actually realized.

It's dumb idealism at its most fucking retarded.