Sword & Bayonet

These weapons coexisted for a long time, so there must have been people who trained to fight each other with them and real fights or duels.

I know the Japanese did a lot of bayonet vs sword but other cultures must have done the same at some point?

Other urls found in this thread:

fechtsaal.de/media/blogs/de/christmann/Christmann_Anleitung_HauStossFechtens_l.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=XjvTOnxDiK4
youtube.com/watch?v=SMglDHI_ORs
youtube.com/watch?v=mSRmQCqMNhM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_of_the_Savoia_Cavalleria_at_Izbushensky
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, we have tons of 19th century manuals about bayonet fencing, military saber fencing, and doing saber against bayonet fencing. Top of my mind I can think of a dozen or so manuals from the UK, Austria, Prussia, France, Switzerland and Italy.
Here is a PDF of F.C. Christmann's "Schwadronhauen" fechtsaal.de/media/blogs/de/christmann/Christmann_Anleitung_HauStossFechtens_l.pdf
>check the pictures at the end of the document

interesting, why not put the pictures next to the text rather than loading them on the bottom

here is a rather hackneyed reenactment of of a duel between Kunii Zenya and a US bayonet instructor

youtube.com/watch?v=XjvTOnxDiK4

Italian special forces during WW1 were trained in bayonets and fencing. They were forbidden to use firearms on the attack, only to defend ground

>be Austrian
>it is 1916, somewhere near the Isonzo
>Guido's attack you with sabers
>mow them all down with the machine gun
>check the bodies, they had guns and ammo, but for some retarded reason attacked with cold steel
>mfw Luigi did it again

In between world wars there was an American Calvary officer who wrote a paper advocating the used of cavalry against machine guns saying that the moral effect of cold steel would out weigh the costs.

Lots of people thought this way

Adding to that the Japanese had units called "kirikomitai" in china that would attack with swords drawn, the Chinese had similar units on their side

This explains everything...

I can't help thinking how pointless it was.

For one, they are almost certanly drilling in that pic rather than sparring, second, a mounted swordsman is at a disadvantage in a direct attack.

Personally I would prefer to be armed with a sword in a purely melee fight than a rifle mounted bayonet. The bayonet is short, and not a particularly good slashing weapon. It can stab and used the butt for striking. Its like a spear without any of the advantages of a spear. The only advantage over a sword it has is the widely spaced hands give superior leverage.

youtube.com/watch?v=SMglDHI_ORs

Sword vs bayonet circa wwI

youtube.com/watch?v=mSRmQCqMNhM

what the fuck??

There were also recorded duels between Escrimadors and Katana wielding officers.

WHY NO ONE THINKS ABOUT STABBING THE HORSE?

DOES NO ONE REALIZE HOW MASSIVE OF A TARGET A HORSE IS?

>STAB THE HORSE
>RIDER FALLS OF THE HORSE
>FINISH THE RIDER
>GO HOME

pic related.

whats the point of wearing full body armor if your horse is bare naked?

the first thing I'd do would be to fire, stab, slash the horse and make the ridder fall

Horses, especially war-horses, can take a hell of a lot more abuse than you realize. Besides that point, the men you posted wouldn't be making direct charges into enemy ranks.

>stab horse
>rider stabs you

>the men you posted wouldn't be making direct charges into enemy ranks.

but they would still be shot at, no?

>Horses, especially war-horses, can take a hell of a lot more abuse than you realize

Even a shot from a musket? or a stab on the stomach or chest?

not even memeing. actually curious about this.

Does a bayonet vs cavalry lance duel count?

Tito, who would later become leader of Yugoslavia, served in WWI with the Austro-Hungarian army. At military school he became a very talented fencer.
(As an aside, he heavily criticised the army's outdated training and techniques, and according to him candidates were even expected to learn off the entire Hapsburg family tree.)
While fighting the Russians in the Carpathians during the war, he fought off a Cossack's lance using his bayonet like a fencing sabre but another Cossack ran him through from behind and he was wounded and captured.

Yes

They'd be shot at on quick moving war-horses, though I'm not saying that they wouldn't be shot dead occasionally

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_of_the_Savoia_Cavalleria_at_Izbushensky

>Some horses, even though riddled by bullets, would keep galloping for hundreds of meters, squirting blood at every beat, suddenly collapsing only a while after their actual death.

The one handed thrust there is pretty interesting, reminds me of katate tsuki from kendo

Man what the hell is up with that video, he just swings his rifle like a retard and presents the back of his neck for the nip to slice open.

Well like I said its a kind of hackneyed reenactment.

>Stab horse
>Horse rides away with your gun
>You get shot

Horses being big is a doubled edged sword pal/

It makes more sense when you realize they weren't charging across no man's land like a bunch of Gaulish savages, but were an infiltration force that crept up to the enemy lines under cover of heavy bombardment, then when the artillery fire has ceased, chuck some grenades and leap in to the trench to slit everyone's throat while they're disoriented.

Basically the Italian equivalent of sturmtruppen but stabbier.

>second, a mounted swordsman is at a disadvantage in a direct attack.
That's what I keep on saying, but cavalry fanboys who base their thinking on videogames keep on saying that a horseman is always at advantage against a footman. The reality is, in one-on-one, cavalry is at a disadvantage against a bayonet. Its strength came from else where.

>brown hands

>Escrimadors and Katana wielding officers.
Espada vs. Katana: Who wins!?

>based destreza senpai

>Sword vs bayonet circa wwI
Is that Japanese? Or French vs. Japanese?

Believe it or not, besides the fact that a war horse can take a ton of damage, people get easily scared of 500kg of frothing crushing, big dick swinging stallions running at you.
Also humans are replaceable, good horses are expensive.
And much like today with riot police, there's this odd unspoken rule that cultures that have used cavalry understand that, attacking the rider (the more "dangerous" target in our human brain) is a good idea, attack the horse though and all bets of civility are off.
Kinda like in that youtube clip where the mounted riot police officer was keeping whacked with signs and not reacting much, but the moment some goober hit his horse the officer BLASTED him with his baton/nightstick AND other protesters slapped the dude for hitting an animal. Funny as fuck.

tl;dr: Don't hurt peoples animals or all bets are off.

>>Some horses, even though riddled by bullets, would keep galloping for hundreds of meters, squirting blood at every beat, suddenly collapsing only a while after their actual death.
RIP horse bros ;_;7
>tfw school made us learn about ww1 mounted infantry and how thier horses, if they survived, would look for their riders after the battle. Then, when ww1 ended, the riders had to kill their own horse because they were too expensive (and obsolete) to ship back home. Most couldn't do it.

I believe its Japanese, taken when a Japanese ship was in port in france

All bets are off if you shot something tbqh lad.

War wasn't like a pussy riot with a bunch of Berkeley educated faggot hippies my man.