Accusations

Ok, first post on Veeky Forums, Veeky Forums, I need some advice. It's my third day at work and this is the second time the manager has come up to me and said their was money missing from the register and I can see it in her eyes she thinks I'm stealing. What do?

Steal the money for real.

You're going to be blamed and fired either way so at this point you may as well take it.

Stop stealing from the register, Tyrone.

You deny everything and say maybe do drawer counts a couple of times a day with 2 people.

Watch the camera footage. You do have a camera right??

Quit.

When I was 18 my first long term job spent "4 days" investigating me for theft. I worked in a department store and they just got this new LP lady and she had to justify her job I guess. Those 4 days I wasn't on the schedule which I thought was odd. So the day I was scheduled to come back LP lady calls me into the back room and interrogates me for 2 hours. I was so utterly confused because I didn't know why I was being interrogated. She kept asking all these questions and I answered them truthfully and honestly. Then when she was done she goes "well you're lucky because we're not going to prosecute you but you're fired." I was fired on a technicality of purchasing some clothing for myself and using my employee discount with a debit card instead of their Bon Ton charge cards (refused to open one) or cash (just didn't have any on me). Before she told me I was fired I innocently suggested we just reverse the transaction and put the money back on my debit and I'll go get some cash. I was completely clueless that they thought I was stealing- because I wasn't.

I only realized what happened when I called my mom to pick me up and told her the story, and she was like holy shit they thought you were stealing! I felt so stupid and naive that I didn't even pick up on that during the interrogation (they never directly asked if I was stealing- they asked round about questions that had no direct implication. Also them dumbasses have cameras all over the store).

It killed me emotionally inside they did this. What about me was making them think that? I would never do something like that. The worst part? I suspect it's on some database employers can look up and see my info. I don't know though.

Then it happened AGAIN. I was working at a restaurant and it was very easy to steal- in fact a lot of employees were doing it. I was not, which is probably the reason I was the last person fired when they cleaned house and got rid of everyone.

So to continue my story, I don't know if the restaurant put it in my record that they suspected me of theft or not, but it scares me because if an employer ran a background check and that shit came up, it sounds like I'm guilty, even though I have always acted with integrity at all of my jobs. I'm even paranoid my current employer thinks I've done something wrong- although I would never- and the reason for my paranoia stems from these experiences.

My advice to you is quit because you do not want to go through what I went through at 18. You do not want to give them the opportunity to put lies about you on records another employer could pull in a background check.

And whatever you do, do not listen to the anons who are here telling you to steal for two reasons: 1. It's plain wrong. 2. You could fuck yourself up for life.

The funny thing? I've been arrested for shoplifting, and it's supposed to be a record that is completely sealed but it is not, because I have been able to find records of it and I worry employers will see that too. I never shoplifted again- if you're doing that stop. Spending the night in jail taught me a lot.

And never ever steal from your employer or do anything untrustworthy behind their back. Loyalty is how you succeed. It kills me inside that my employers didn't see that I was a hard working loyal employee.

And if you want to hear further, my best friend was working at Walmart and someone bought some stuff but had shit that was expensive, like over $1000 worth of electronics on the shelf at the bottom of the cart. She was the cashier. Walmart thought she was allowing them to do this and she was somehow in on it. She claims she's innocent (and she's done bad things before and owned up to it- at least to me). Her bf at the time was a real piece of shit and conned a lot of people, but they were living in a town where they didn't know anyone at the time and the person on the tape was not her bf. Also she knows she can admit stuff like that to me, but she swears she was innocent. She liked working at Walmart because it gave here decent benefits and she didn't want to fuck that up. The person on the tape who stole the electronics was never found. However my best friend got a nice little misdemeanor for it. I can't say with 100% certainty she was innocent but I think she was. I think she was just stupid and didn't check the bottom shelf. It's an innocent mistake that happens at places where you buy things with carts all the time. I just think they decided to go after her because it was high dollar electronics. Fucked up.

All these experiences make me distrustful of employers, no matter how much I like them. I understand that employees steal and it's a problem- but I think too many people get fucked when they're innocent. Sorry for the long stories - it's just something that hurt me for a long time emotionally- and I can only imagine how my friend felt. I know it ate her up inside too.

Didn't read lmao

>I don't know if the restaurant put it in my record that they suspected me of theft or not

Calm down, this isn't Ancap Land. Private buisiness can't give you any kind of "record", only the police can do that after you have been convicted in a court of law. You're fine.

Jesus.. I'd try to seek some kind of legal compensation but if not that at least I would be mad at them. They fucked up, not you obviously. For fuck's sake, you should seek legal compensation to have any kind of record in a database like you suspected removed, if there is one, because it's slander, and if nothing else you shouldn't feel sad being fired from them because they are incompetent.

You know all that already though.....

Also, there is no "background check" that all employers can simply use. There's a criminal record, which you have the legal right to inquire about and be aware of, and there's word of mouth, which isn't going to affect you in this case. Not a chance in hell.

Don't mind him he's clearly a retard.

>he works the register past the age of 17

I was once fired for the same reason. Money kept coming up short and it was always my drawer. They fired me within the month. I knew I wasn't stealing it but I accepted it and went back to stripping because square jobs aren't good for me. Anyways the DM for the company comes in one night with a bunch of corporate guys from that company. I tell them my story and they told me the location and the name of my manger I said "yeah how did you know?" she was running the store and it kept getting robbed on her shift so they investigated her and found out she was collaborating with the thieves and I was likely just ran out because I wasn't in on it and I am an honest person (despite the stereotypes -which are accurate as a general rule). So we had a good laugh and it was a profitable night for me. Good times.

Anyways if you need the job stay. Tell her you get the feeling she suspects you of the theft and ask her what you can do to to convince her its not you. You need to confront the problem because its not going to go away on its own.

No, they can. I was listed in a huge class action lawsuit because of a background check that was run on me after college. I still got the job so maybe nothing's in there I don't know. I don't think they'd have hired me if they thought I was a thief. However, the main plaintiffs in the class action lawsuit were suing because the lost jobs or were not hired because of things just like this falsely listed on a background check. I found out about the class action lawsuit because the lawyers for the plaintiffs contacted everyone who may have been effected by it. Before that I had no idea an employer could do that.

>and went back to stripping
Wait what

I already was part of a class action lawsuit but I never saw what was in the report. I do have the right to see it, but I bet that company erased anything like it now. Maybe I will contact them and see if records of my old report still exist. I know some peoples records in the suit got "lost".

Damn that sucks bro, thanks for your post.

>went back to stripping
oh my~

Yup, totally sucks and I appreciate you listening.

Tell her to check the CCTV for proof and if there are no cameras then steal the money for her being a dumbass.

top kek
I hope you've made it by now or at least found a chump to do your bidding