Ask a philosophy major anything

Ask a philosophy major anything

Why would you pay tens of thousands of dollars for an education you could get from E-books and a library card?

Why would you do this to yourself?

Can I get a double cheeseburger and small fries?

Do you suck dick or sell newspapers for a living

I have a full ride at my uni
Im interested in the topic
I work at barnes and nobles you cuck

>wasting a full ride on a philosophy degree

why?

Bump

What are your plans after graduation?

What's the trending philosophical posture?

How much burger flippers make nowadays?

Law school
Marxist faggots everywhere

Did your course had any inclination towards studying marxist and postmodernist philosophy? I want to know because of the "college is biased" /pol/ meme

Nevermind

Why indeed? You're the fucking philosopher, you tell us!

Continental or analytic?
How many german words did you learn?

Its not inclined to Marxism per say, but the instructors and many of the students are marxists and the bias gets through sometimes.

Because I want to law school?

is it bad that i jerk off pretending to be an underage boy getting raped by an older man

>it's for law school
Okay, that makes sense. I know a lawyer who got his first degree in Forestry. First degree doesn't really matter as long as you've got good grades.

well it does matter to an extent. Certain majors wil l prepare you for the LSAT better than others.
Im not a psych major
continental

>im not a psych major
not an excuse i wanna know if this is ethically bad or something

Philosophy majors are the highest-average scoring major group on the LSAT.

Hello future barista. Liberal arts are a joke and "higher education" is just progressive propaganda.

Here's some advice for you morons:
Either go STEM or ditch college and learn a trade. And by go STEM I mean stick with Engineering or Computer Science.

Otherwise you're wasting your time and money.

>ceding the arts and humanities to the sjw's and leftist's who will then use it to undermine STEM fields

t. materialist brainlet

Nah desu. Major STEM, minor humanities.

This is what's known as a patrician tier education.

Law is applied philosophy.

That's not what a philosophy degree is. Go back to Veeky Forums you highschooler.

Most of what I do isn't read, but rather discussion with professors. In addition, being measured is a motivator. Praise is a motivator. Fear of disappointing somebody you've spent hours talking with is a motivator.

But wait, you're on the spectrum! People don't matter to you! All you care for is turning dull study hours into dollars.
Everything is biased, even /pol/. It's social sciences and English literature for some reason that expresses it the most, though.

this was my thinking. We need to take back the university

You're on the spectrum, get off. My first two degrees were STEM, and they were miserable years that lead to more miserable years to follow.

Colleges should just be turned into pure vocational schooling anyway.

Liberal arts/humanities degrees are fucking worthless. The people that get them now don't even contribute to society or the economy

>Ask a philosophy major anything

Can I get a double latte with the muffin double deal, or does that only apply to single lattes?

>Liberal arts/humanities degrees are fucking worthless.

Typical plebian reaction: you hate what you do not understand.

>The people that get them now don't even contribute to society or the economy

They contribute to something even more important: culture

>computer science
If you want to flip burgers for a living. Go to med school if you want a yacht and a nice house.

Its a symbiotic relationship though. Arts and humanities structure society and culture while STEM and tradespeople help ensure that society and culture continue to work.

If everyone abandons arts and humanities then society and culture will stagnate, not adapt, and thus fall faster into "chaos".

If we leave arts and humanities just to sjw's and leftists then they will be the ones that structure society and they will like do so by undermining STEM and "scientific facts"

Let's actually start this thread for real
*AHEM*
On a scale of Plato to Marx, how mired in ludicrous and irrelevant abstractions are you, exactly?

The free market has yielded more worthwhile cultural contributions in the past 100 years than academia

This

glorious works like "crazy frog" and mcdonalds food
really hitting the high end of culture

>society
>economy
Fuck off, statist. You can go to a trades school for that trash, or fuck your uncle for some tips.

Nike shoes aren't a cultural contribution.

How about practical space flight?
The transistor?
AM and FM?
All of these things have, by their mere existence, transformed the culture MASSIVELY
and not just in the US

That's not cultural output you tard

>Abandon the areas of thought that aren't mind-numbing autism attractors
>It's the only way to get a real job

You live in a pretty boring world.

>In addition, being measured is a motivator. Praise is a motivator. Fear of disappointing somebody you've spent hours talking with is a motivator.

So you're basically a third grader?

HAHAHA EPIC YORU SUCH AN INDIE VIDIE Y'ALL

>the ability to exponentially increase the output of your cultural products, and spread your culture through mass media did not transform culture

Nice reddit meme you fucking tard

>Bringing internet politics into this.

Let your argument stand on the cultural merits, not this appeal to collectivist anti-sjw culture.

>Went to college for STEM
>design experiments and try to elucidate behaviors of pathogenic bacteria
>eventually go to med school
>creatively apply skills as diagnostician

That shit ain't "mind numbing" man. It's fun.

>things I don't agree with are memes because I don't have an argument

that's literally not cultural output

Yes, it seems to have transformed "culture" into frog maymays and McDonald's food, as the other user said, "culture" is now something palatable only to those whose tastes are photocopied from social media

I would expect someone who prides themselves on having "hours long discussions" to have better argumentative skills.

>design experiments
Not creative.
No, your images you fucking redditor
LE REDDIT MEME I SAW ON LE REEEEEEEEEEEEDIT
FIND A STEEP ROAD AND SLIDE DOWN IT BALLS-DOWN PLEASE
Argumentation is trash. This is new rhetoric.

Most frogposters are autistic STEMfags.

The transistor and mass media made it possible for more poor people with inherent musical abilities to share their work with the world and create new forms of music. People without formal education in music now had a massively larger platform, and that's before we even get into the internet.

who could have guessed

that's literally not cultural output

You're wrong, dude.

Spend some time in East Asia if you want to see what an overly-narrow educational focus on "practical" things like STEM over the humanities does to a society.

I am writing this as a westerner, but a westerner who spent years there. Yes, I taught English, go ahead and meme, but I taught it at the college level, and I frequently talked about the educational system with my (Asian) coworkers and friends, and more times than I could count I heard other professors frankly admit that their students had virtually no critical thinking ability or creativity. They had never been taught it, and had never been given the chance in school to learn it on their own. And it wasn't just the long hours and focus on testing that did that to them.

I understand where you are coming from, really, I do. There's a lot of bullshit in the humanities that needs to be cleared away, and I think there are probably too MANY people going into the humanities (and emerging with huge student loan debts that they'll never be able to pay off) but slashing them outright is just not a good idea.

>Veeky Forums filename
>le reddit boogerman meme

k

I have osteomylitis in isolated sections on the surface of both of my shin bones, with damaged bone stretching about three inches across the surface of the bone on each leg, and also have large surface area wounds on each lower leg. Doctor does not know the true depth/extremity of the damaged bone, but says the damage is not spreading, but he is worried about having to remove so much infected bone that I'll have fractures that will lead to double amputation of my lower legs, meaning I will retain my knees.

However, there is still a chance my legs could be saved if the flesh wounds heal up good enough for a skin graft. We did an MRI without contrast and that have no insight into the extent of my bone damage.

Could an x Ray or bone density test give me a less invasive option to reveal how damaged my bones are without my Dr literally cutting all the flesh away from the bones to find out by eyes alone?

Maybe, but I'd first suggest you get another MRI or consult another physician. I don't know the details, so it'd be irresponsible for me to say your doctor is right or wrong, but an MRI is generally accepted as the most detailed and best method of determining the extent of damage for osteomyelitis.

shouldnt you be the one asking then?

Which is the best version of 'The Joyful Wisdom'?

looser on the making

I will be seeing you at mcdonalds, boi

KEK

O'P's life is a joke, not to mention he's on Veeky Forums right now, fucking looser

Do you think philosophy has much in common with literature, history, religion, sociology, and anthropology?

>major philosophy
>see Marxist "faggots" everywhere
>get ridiculed by 4channers for majoring philosophy
>still don't want Marxism
Why do you hate we Marxist faggots so much ?

Can I have some two panetone mocha frappucino extra whip cream please? I'll have that in grande,

name's chuck

Yeah, I want a refill for my soda, please

Do you plan to pursue a PhD in the field? Most philosophers these days are dual-disciplinary, do you plan to be?

This question is always asked in threads like this, and I find it really hard to believe that people are so fucking stupid that they don't know what accreditation is.

I mean, by asking that question you're essentially saying that it doesn't matter if you graduated from Harvard or the University of Balamand in Lebanon.

Why the FUCK did you add ice after I said not to twice!?

so when are you gonna finish my order?

can you cook me an egg?

Yes in that if you get a degree in this subjects, you are a bonafide retard and will be homeless within 5 months

Why would you waste your money with a joke degree like that? You're nothing but a government leech in the making.

How long until you kill yourself because of this moronic decision?

imagine doing a degree just because some memers on Veeky Forums said it was le god tier. you will get a reality check if you do this.

you're fucking retarded

christ i bet you're a libshit too

How does it feel to not study something real and not have a real job that you would have done if you had gone into STEM?
Sometimes I also dream of being a philosophy major especially when I feel like not earning money and just think and think to find the meaning of life.

What do think of Slavoj Zizek?

why?

Should have gone STEM. College is a fucking meme anyways. Hopefully Trump will turn them all into vocational schools and destroy liberal arts nonsense for good. That shit doesn't keep the world turning. It's inessential.

I'm a fairly impressionable white male and I'm going to read Nietzsche (starting from Beyond Good and Evil and the Geneaology of Morals): what should I expect?
Will I become a edgelord even if I istinctively find repulsion for such individuals?

>be European
>read this thread
>everyone is giving shit to OP because he has "wasted money" on his degree
>tfw the fact that degrees in the US costs so much and are not cost-effective means that now all of these anons despise the field itself

Is this actual capitalist ideology?
Also, is the US so fucking dystopic? Can't they really imagine that there are a billion people out there who don't have to deal with decades of debt only because they want to study accademically philosophy? Your outlook on the world must be so shallow.

>mfw: your naivety is somewhat funny, but deep down I know that I could help you guys overcome this bias, yet I won't do it because it would take weeks of intensive anti-shitposting

/pol/ is leaking.

Yes.

Good luck running a country where nobody has real jobs because everyone got degrees in pan-afrosexual trigender dancing

t. libtard ctr shill

Do you really think that this is a major cause of unemployment? How fucking dense are you?

For fuck's sake, this is like talking with deunk old people in shitty rural taverns. Everything you can say is a stereotype of a stereotype (all without irony).

Where do i start with fredrick neichze?

ITT:

Insecure STEMlords

Why are you wasting so much money?

What was the most complicated order you hand to take when you were working in McDonalds?

What's it like to be one of the most pretentious cunts in a virtual sea of pretension and cunts?